Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

**ALERT** Funtana Owners

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

**ALERT** Funtana Owners

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2003, 11:53 PM
Dave Willis
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default **ALERT** Funtana Owners

On the second flight on my Funtana, (First flight was a short trim flight) the axle and wheel seperated from the landing gear. The axle is pressed into the hub that attaches to the landing gear. Apparently mine wasn't pressed in tight and it fell out. When the landing gear touched down it tore lose and damaged the bottom of the fuselage, bottom of the wing and horizontal stabilizer. I hate to have to rebuild and patch up a brand new airplane. Will probably fly a little better with some extra epoxy. During the repair I noticed the landing gear block was a grainy type wood. I was flexing it in my hand and broke it again along the grain. POOR QUALITY wood!! I replaced the block with 1/4" plywood, removed the blind nuts and replaced with nylon 1/4 20 nylon screws. I called Product Support at Horizon and they requested I send the axles in for their inspection haven't heard anything back tho. Keep a watch so you'all don't have the bad luck I had.....Dave[&o]

I'm Glad I'm not the only one having the same problem! I knew when I screwed in the metal screws I was making a mistake. The axle falling out is what started the problem. I'm aggravated about tearing up a NEW airplane because of something thats not my fault. I'm plenty capable of tearing up stuff on my own without any help!!
Still haven't heard anything from Horizon.
Thanks for reading and replying.....Dave
Old 10-26-2003, 12:10 AM
Hank68

Default RE: **ALERT** Funtana Owners

I had the exact same problem with one of my axles.Luckily,I didn't sustain any damage though.I couldn't find the shaft or the wheel.It must have fallen out during the flight and when I landed,the plane just stopped dead when it touched down.I just replaced them with Dubro axles and since I only had one wheel left.I just some I had lying around.That is really the only problem I have had with this plane and I have over 50 flights on it.

Hank
Old 10-26-2003, 10:56 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Same thing happend to me on the 2nd flight of a Sig 1/4 Suhkio. I contacted them directly. They gladly sent whatever parts I asked for. Even offered a complete new fuse. I settled for a new cowl, ply, and covering needed to make repairs.
Might be worth a try.
Later David
Old 10-26-2003, 01:24 PM
Welsh3D

can't argue with that for service!!
Old 10-26-2003, 08:34 PM
3dbatixkid

I easily have 125 flights on my Funtana, and havent had any problems listed here. I have done harrier landings, and everything that would break the gear, and it has been solid.
Old 10-27-2003, 12:19 AM
Abraxxas

The day I was removing my aluminum gear with the factory axles to swap it out for CF and #6's one of the axles fell off in my hand as I lifted the gear from the bottom of my plane. Guess I picked the right day to actually do do the swap ROFL!
Old 10-28-2003, 12:48 AM
3DFanatic

I know two guys that own Funtanas, I'll be sure to pass this along!
Old 10-30-2003, 05:59 PM
zonker123
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is for real!! the axle rod separated from the rest of the assembly about 45 minites ago on my funtana. Landed as slow as possible but gear caught and ripped the block out of the fuse, no other damage. Thought it couldn't happen to me-------but it did.
Quite aggravating. But if this the worst thing that happens, I'll be more than happy. Gonna take pics and send to Horizion to see what their response will be, they have been pretty decent in the past.
Almost 4 gallons of fuel flown thru plane.

check them axles!!!

Z123
Old 10-30-2003, 07:15 PM
hovermaster
My Feedback: (2)

I noticed how small the landing gear block is in the funtana, i dont know why they make them so small, one hard hit and your whole block and bottom of your fuse ripps out. I put in nylon bolts in place of those metal ones, and it works really well. i have hit really hard once in a hole and all it did was break the bolts. Put new ones in and your ready to go again. I have noticed that there is a weak point in the fuse right behind the wing as well. I was doing harrier rolls a couple of inches off the ground ( i have been doing this for a while this low) but i goofed and caught the wing tip and it broke in half! easy fix but it wanstn even going fast ( im talking walking speed harrier rolls at 45 degrees) . O well . I love the plane though.

Chris
Old 10-30-2003, 07:44 PM
Varad

Im about to get the funtana so ill watch out for this . Thanks.
Old 10-31-2003, 07:46 PM
freebaby

[:@] I was flying this morning, and everything was going great until final approach. I saw a black thing fall from the plane. I did a fly by and noticed a wheel was missing!! I landed in tall grass and ripped the landing gear out. upon inspection the shaft had came out of its collar. I have never seen or heard of this until now. I was very "lets say pissed". Has anyone had any luck with getting compensation from the manufacturer. Thanks!
Old 10-31-2003, 10:13 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

It is kinda funny,my axles seem ok so far,but will definetly keep checking them.I too however snaped off the gear and block tonite!! It was a very cool evening and the sinkrate was a little unusual and my idle was very low on landing.Yep I stalled it a foot over the runway and bellied it in.Oh well.I guess a few of us will be making the same repairs for different reasons[>:]
Old 11-01-2003, 08:32 AM
Dave Willis

[&o]I called Product Support and I think I spoke to Chris (Not Sure Tho) He asked If I'd send the axles in for inspection. That was 2 weeks ago and I haven't heard a word.....Dave
Old 11-09-2003, 08:46 PM
Dave Willis

[]Been approximately a month and I STILL haven't heard from product support. They should at least call me and tell me tough luck. If I ignored my customers I'd be broke.....Dave
Old 11-09-2003, 10:16 PM
DUMB THUM

THE SAME THING HAPPEND TO ME ON THE SECOND FLIGHT TORE THE GEAR OFF I HAD TO WATCH THE REST OF THE DAY NOT VERY HAPPY THE REPAIRES MADE AND REAL AXELS ON!
EVRY THING OK NOW. NOW THAT I HERE THIS I WILL CALL AND RAISE HELL.
Old 11-09-2003, 10:24 PM
Tiberian

I've had my Funtana for about 2 months now and the only major issue I've had is tearing the gear out.
Old 11-09-2003, 10:43 PM
barryb

If your wheel pants are on you landing gear it should stop the wheel and axle from falling off. One of mine came loose on day 2 and the other came loose on day 3. The wheel rubbed against the skirt but stayed on the axle. A little JB Weld does a good job on a fix.

BarryB
Old 11-09-2003, 10:54 PM
All Thumbs

Can anyone post a picture of the part(s) that failed? Not the damage to your plane, I'd like to see the axle. I just want to make sure I understand the problem before I do a replacement. Thanks if you can help.
Old 11-09-2003, 11:11 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I can show you the fix I did that hopefully will prevent this from happening on mine. I filed the back side until is was flush and then soldered the axle to the threaded portion on both the front and back.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98643.gif
Views:	12
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	73595  
Old 11-10-2003, 08:37 AM
Mougly

How dare you say H9 axle's have a problem falling off...they fall off with NO problem.
/Remove tongue from cheek

Sadly I've had 4 instances with them
#1 on a funfly with ski's in 4 degree weather...believable it's a legit failure.
#2 on a very well flown H9 Ultra Stick...possibly believable it's a legit failure as it's seen a lot of landings.
#3 on a rarely flown H9 Aresti...I'm beginning to have my doubts.
#4 on a brand new unflown H9 Funtana S. This one was lost on the takeoff roll on it's maiden flight.

Below is a pic of a couple of the pieces I had sitting around.

Mougly

[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24369.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	73661  
Old 11-10-2003, 07:30 PM
bandit409

This must have been my lucky day. I had just started my second takeoff when my wheel came off. The axle separated from the hub. No I did not have the wheel pants on. Lucky, I sustaind no damage, as I had just started to take off.
Old 11-10-2003, 09:46 PM
All Thumbs

Thanks for posting the pics Mougly, and sorry to hear what happened . I just went and picked up a set of Dubro...screw it, I'm not taking any chances. Thanks guys for possibly saving a Funtana (at least for that reason...I'M still at the controls! ).
Old 11-11-2003, 08:06 PM
Dave Willis

[]What kills me is apparently I am not the only one having the same problem! Looks like Hanger 9 would do something about the defective part. I don't run wheel pants cuz our field is grass and not the smoothest in the world and I haven't had much luck with them. My choice not running wheel pants shouldn't make losing the axle my fault tho. I can't post pics cuz I sent mine to Product Support which was a waste of postage cuz I haven't heard a word in a month. Being ignored really frosts my "You Know Whats". They should at least call and tell me to go jump or something.
I run my office 110% Customer Service and my employees know thats what I expect. I guess I get upset cuz I don't get the same treatment/respect. I'm sure Hangar 9 couldn't care less about my business, I'm sure I'll not be missed but thats not the point
Thanks Everyone for reading and your replies.....Dave
Old 11-17-2003, 08:13 AM
John Boomslang

Thanks to all for the alert on h9 axles! re customer support I too have had some trouble with h9. My brand new Funtana arrived with the fuse. broken in half at the weak point behind the wing, product supp. was like a visit to the dentist and I ended up paying for fed ex to get another fuse only after mentioning I would claim puchase on visa insurance.That got results. Sad. This is not what I call service!
Old 11-17-2003, 09:13 AM
flyfree69

im putting together my funtana now and would like to know if there is any way to check the axle's BEFORE it wrecks the plane? this seems like a small problem that hanger-9 should take care of right away,,, thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.