Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 540 Edge Crash on Maiden flight!

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Hangar 9 540 Edge Crash on Maiden flight!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 09:16 PM
Striker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hangar 9 540 Edge Crash on Maiden flight!

Hi Guys,

My CG is set at 4 3/4 inches now. My elevator rates are: Standard Rate - 7/8 inches Dual Rate- 1 7/16 inches and my 3D rate is about 3 3/inches all of which has exponential mixed in.
As far as mods are concerned, I chopped the front off and rebuilt a much lighter engine box for the ZDZ 50, mounted 3 servos in the tail, ripped out the landing gear support and replaced it with a one piece one, flipped my horizontal stab over, since the covering joins would have been on top and its almost symmetrical. I also cut the wing centers and sanded them perfectly to facilitate 0 dihedral and made sure my wing incidences were evenly matched.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55866.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	72489   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ok29089.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	72490   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dj11776.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	72491  
Old 11-04-2003, 09:43 PM
Striker

In these pics you can see the chopped off front of the H9 Edge 540, the ZDZ 50 on a test jig, the engine box right thrust being set and the engine box curing. Note that the extra thick pieces of wood under the box was jut for clamping support and was removed after. The whole box was made from 1/8 ply with 1/4" gussets and a top strap.

Name:	Pn36406.jpg
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	72498   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37945.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	72499   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr41648.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	72500  
Old 11-04-2003, 09:56 PM
Striker

The engine box curing.

Name:	Mk27684.jpg
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	72506  
Old 11-04-2003, 11:50 PM
nyrcpilot
My Feedback: (5)

Although the throws/rates were 100%,,, I had 100% expo dialed in, and in the plane's death spiral from 500 feet, I had either 3 or 4 attempts at pulling it up....and no matter how gradual or quick I tried to give it elevator, it simply did fast or slow snaps... My friend said that it did snaps to the same direction everytime, but I don't remember that pattern for sure...

What radio do you run? Futaba and hitec need negative expo to soften, Jr needs positive expo to soften.

Another interesting point is the servos stripped in the ailerons, one completely and the other is close behind it.. w/ the wing in one piece and the ailerons not damaged, could this happen before impact somehow? and could it be part of the cause?

Aileron servos are the most common to strip in a crash, I do not think this cause your "snapping" that is a cg or a throw thing as discussed earlier.

On you new plane start with a more forward CG, I always fly first flights witha forward CG, with this plane I would even go 1/2" in front of the recommend CG,

Also set up three rates with -25 % expo, set standard throw, less that standard, and a little more for standard.......just for the first flight, this way if you have a sensitive elevator you can go with a lower low rate, or is the elevator throw is weak because of you new forward cg posistion you can bump the rate a little to get in.

The above configuration is not a standard for me.....unless I had a crash similar to yours, this woukld be my setup for the next flight.
Old 11-05-2003, 08:55 AM
robhoneycutt

Striker,

I don't have the wing close by; do you know where the balance point is supposed to be in relation to the red stripe on the wing? we balanced the plane on the trailing edge of the red stripe.

Rob
Old 11-05-2003, 11:22 AM
Striker

Rob, I think the reason the Edge crashed had to do with your CG. If you have the plane way nose heavy (on the red stripe 3" CG) it will take along take off roll with tons of up elevator to get it in the air. It will do a tail over which will look like a snap if you had a short take off roll with a little up elevator, chances are you maxed out the ele and it went in. Being so low to the ground it may seem like a snap but instead it really rolled over with the tail flipping up, nose down to the ground. The CG of this Edge is measured from the leading Edge along the fuse, mine is now at 5". I started mine at 4" and worked my way back, but remember I am swinging a 22X10 prop with a 5.7 hp gas engine so it can get airborne with a short take off roll even if the CG was set at 3". I have a My CG at 5" and I am sure I can take it to 5 1/2 to 5 3/4 now that I am comfortable with this Edge, however I love the Edges so much I bought a Dave Patrick 540T which will be having my ZDZ in the nose. I will be converting a big glow to gas for the H9 Edge 540 and will be using it as my backup.
Before building the new one you should get all the details about this Edge, I can tell you as much as I know about mine.
Old 11-05-2003, 11:24 AM
Striker

Another thing is the wing incidence, it this was off it would also have snapped to the ground. I forgot that, if you do a search on H9 Edge snapping on take off or landing you will find 100's of posts. This was mainly do do wing incidences being off.
I can email you a little clip of mine landing.