Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Hype 3D Fuel Tank ?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Hype 3D Fuel Tank ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2003, 03:17 PM
PlaneCrazzy
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hype 3D Fuel Tank ?

Can someone tell me how to install the fuel tank on the Hype 3D ? Does the blue plastic piece have anything to do with installing it ? If not what is the blue plastic piece for ?, It was bagged with the cowl. No instruction on fuel tank installation or support
Old 12-22-2003, 07:12 AM
stomper
My Feedback: (20)

Default RE: Hype 3D Fuel Tank ?

The blue plastic piece is a cover for the servo that sits in the cockpit.

As for the fuel tank, just glue in some small pieces of lite ply from side to side to suport the top and bottom of the tank with enough room for some foam.

You will have a problem removing the that silly grin from your face when you start flying this plane!!
Old 12-22-2003, 08:52 AM
PlaneCrazzy

Thanks for the reply. That plastic piece was driving me crazy. Could'nt figure where to put it. It was weird it fits the fuel tank perfectly. I installed the fuel tank with some balsa strips, and now I see I can hide the servo with the plastic piece. I am down to installing the elevator and rudder servos with the closed loop system. Went with digitals. Is that the set up you went with ? Are you using the West Engine ? Did you encounter any problems ? Did you use the recommended throws and CG ? Any bad tenencies?

Chris
Old 12-22-2003, 09:57 AM
stomper

Yeah I went with digitals all round.
Also went with the West engine combo and have to say the engine is a strong one and the pipe provides a fat power band! I am using an APC 12.25x3.75 prop.

No problems so far other then the main landing gear being a little soft.

As far as the throws go I went with all I could get like 85 degs. on the rudder.

I also installed some Du-bro 4-40 pull-pull wire on the horizontal stab. I just looped it though drilled holes in the horizontal stab, vertical stab and around a screw in the bottom of the fuse. and CA it in place. The wire works great.

Things I did not use from the ARF

Fuel tank
pull-pull wire
the plastic servo cover
surface horns

HTH
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72463.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	84435  
Old 12-22-2003, 08:47 PM
PlaneCrazzy

I am also ditching the control horns and the servo cover. I dont mind seeing the bottom of the servo. I did hear the landing gear was weak. I hear there is a carbon one available along with wheel pants. Speaking of wheel pants how are yours holding up ? I am gonna max out the throws too. I have great delection on all surfaces with a minimal amount of gap, worked out well dont think i'm going to seal the hinges Trying to get her up in 03.

Chris
Old 12-23-2003, 03:39 AM
indy

ORIGINAL: stomper
Also went with the West engine combo and have to say the engine is a strong one and the pipe provides a fat power band! I am using an APC 12.25x3.75 prop.
What RPM's are you getting with APC 12.25x3.75 ? I have APC 13x4W on it and it spins @ 12.300 rpm.

Has anyone tryed both props on Hype/West combo ? Any differences ? Alan of Weston UK warned about 12.25x3.75
as it "may give too little load on W50T1 and overrev it" ?
Old 12-23-2003, 07:31 AM
indy

ORIGINAL: PlaneCrazzy
I am also ditching the control horns and the servo cover. I dont mind seeing the bottom of the servo. I did hear the landing gear was weak. I hear there is a carbon one available along with wheel pants. Speaking of wheel pants how are yours holding up ?
I ditched original clevises and replaced them with metal ones. Horns are OK but clevises are horrible. Broke few
on first flights. Definitely item to replace ASAP!

I got LG made of carbon locally as original is on soft side. Either is too soft and flexes waay to much or rips off
ply plate on bottom of fuse. Carbon takes much more abuse without damage to fuse.

Spats are too small, I gave on them after they made 2 nice holes in covering when they turned and fell off on landing....
Wheels touch them and friction pulls out anti-rotation screws. Too bad they are well made but tad too small.
Old 12-23-2003, 08:31 AM
stomper

ORIGINAL: indy

What RPM's are you getting with APC 12.25x3.75 ? I have APC 13x4W on it and it spins @ 12.300 rpm.

Has anyone tryed both props on Hype/West combo ? Any differences ? Alan of Weston UK warned about 12.25x3.75
as it "may give too little load on W50T1 and overrev it" ?
Hey Indy

I have not Tached this engine yet but going out to fly today and will have to tach it. I'll post what I find later today.

This 12.25x3.75 is one of the recommend props from the manual.
One thing i found Is they don't give a max RPM in the manual?
Has Alan given you a max RPM?

Thanks for the heads up!
Old 12-23-2003, 08:41 AM
PlaneCrazzy

Stomer, give us those numbers. I have both props for the engine
Old 12-23-2003, 08:44 AM
indy

I have not Tached this engine yet but going out to fly today and will have to tach it. I'll post what I find later today.

Thanks for the heads up!
Funny enough manual I've got has no recommeneded props in it ?
When speaking to Alan he was very speciffic about not using 12.25x3.75 (which was my first choice)
but also he didn't give max RPM for W50T1.

Tach yours and post results, actually I am more interested in performance that tach figs.
If it works better I'll switch to 12.25x3.75.
Old 12-23-2003, 09:29 AM
Ian.W

ORIGINAL: indy

Thanks for the heads up!
Funny enough manual I've got has no recommeneded props in it ?
When speaking to Alan he was very speciffic about not using 12.25x3.75 (which was my first choice)
but also he didn't give max RPM for W50T1.

Tach yours and post results, actually I am more interested in performance that tach figs.
If it works better I'll switch to 12.25x3.75.

the instructions do actually say you can use the 12.25x3.75. Ive always used the 13x4w and ive got 13 000rpm of it. Ive now switched to a 13x4 hoping the throttle will be snappy rather than smooth. But that prop is yet to be flow because of one thing or anouther
Old 12-24-2003, 07:35 AM
stomper

Had a great time out flying yesterday! In the sixtys and sunny!

Fuel used was S&W 10%, oil 20% 50/50 with the APC 12.25x3.75 she was spinning at 13.200 which seemed a little high so I fatten the needle and brought the RPM down to 12.400. Even at 12.400 RPM this engine has some power!! I will have to go out and get a few APC 13x4W props and see how this engine likes them.

Yestrday I pulled out my Morris Top Cap that I have a OS 50SX on and I thought it was a strong engine but man the West on the throttle pipe is insane power in comparison!!

I think the 12.25x3.75 prop might be a good choice for break-in but looks like not enough load after about twelve tanks.

I will say that with this plane you are rarely in full throttle mode! It will hang around 1/3 throttle with no problem!

I would still like to know what West thinks the upper RPM range should be on this engine.

Merry Christmas to all and to all a happy flight!
Old 12-24-2003, 07:48 AM
PlaneCrazzy

Hey Doug,

Those RPM'S you posted were they supose to be 13,200 and 12,400 ?
Old 12-24-2003, 08:00 AM
stomper

Hey Chris

Thanks for catching that bud! Apparantely I should actually wake up before jumping on line
Old 12-24-2003, 12:48 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

yeah i need one of these!