Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Is OS .46FX enough ower for Kyosho Flip 3D?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Is OS .46FX enough ower for Kyosho Flip 3D?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2004, 03:53 AM
Ian.W

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is OS .46FX enough ower for Kyosho Flip 3D?

i use bekra 10 from model technics. 20% klotz 10%nitro and the rest some other stuff (methanol?????)
Old 05-02-2004, 08:23 AM
pizza
My Feedback: (24)

engine reliability is very important here, every os engine I have owned has run hard out of box for about a year of constant hovering. when you have a fresh engine that always starts on first flip, doesn't miss a beat - you focus on 3d flying, take more chances, learn more. after about a year my os46's begin to act up, most start loosing compression, seem to be tempremental. I used to take it apart for maintenance clean everything, replace parts but they never run like a new one, but still good for sport flying. now at the begining of each season I get a new one for $115 - a small price to pay for worry free flying. also it can be dangerous to spectators and judges if you engine is not runing like new. I look around and give my old engine to a small kid just getting started, I tell him it has been trained and is ready for avistar 40.

why then is everyone trying to use 10 year old engines? I see new 3d plane with fox, enya, some will start and run at full throttle, most deadstick - yesturday I helped 3 people all day try to get their engines to run, the one that seemed to run the best had not been run for over 21 years. you canot hardly buy lunch anymore for less than $100. next time someone shows up with an engine that looks like it was at bottom of ocean for 10 years, I am going to help him out ok - I will hit him over the head, throw away the engine and give rest of gear to a small kid just getting started.
Old 05-03-2004, 07:33 AM
Rhilluk

ORIGINAL: pizza

why then is everyone trying to use 10 year old engines?
pizza, I don't think people quite understand the power required for 3d flying. Most people are used to having their sport model and flying it with the same engine for years.
3D flying requires a high performace engine, that's lightweight, very decent and reliable, imagine an engine cutting in a low hover!!!!! "by the way has anyone seen this happen - got any pics, what was the damage like?"
Don't think people quite understand 3D yet. thats what I'm trying to say.

"By the way, I was flying my acrowot today and couldn't understand why there was no power, I was flying around full throttle going nowhere, when I landed I saw the prop had split no it was now a 6inch prop not a 12. Must have done it on the touch and go, but don't remember any noise. Either that it must a gone in flight!!!!!

more power = bigger engine = more weight = more power = bigger engine = more weight = more power
Old 05-03-2004, 10:19 AM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

ORIGINAL: pizza

engine reliability is very important here, every os engine I have owned has run hard out of box for about a year of constant hovering. when you have a fresh engine that always starts on first flip, doesn't miss a beat - you focus on 3d flying, take more chances, learn more. after about a year my os46's begin to act up, most start loosing compression, seem to be tempremental. I used to take it apart for maintenance clean everything, replace parts but they never run like a new one, but still good for sport flying. now at the begining of each season I get a new one for $115 - a small price to pay for worry free flying. also it can be dangerous to spectators and judges if you engine is not runing like new. I look around and give my old engine to a small kid just getting started, I tell him it has been trained and is ready for avistar 40.

why then is everyone trying to use 10 year old engines? I see new 3d plane with fox, enya, some will start and run at full throttle, most deadstick - yesturday I helped 3 people all day try to get their engines to run, the one that seemed to run the best had not been run for over 21 years. you canot hardly buy lunch anymore for less than $100. next time someone shows up with an engine that looks like it was at bottom of ocean for 10 years, I am going to help him out ok - I will hit him over the head, throw away the engine and give rest of gear to a small kid just getting started.
I whole heartedly agree with you Pizza. Unfortunately, the guys here in the 3D Flying forum are about the only ones here on RCU that accept that message. I know full well that in any area, instructing or float flying or 3D ect., saving $10 - $30 on an engine, you are usually shooting yourself in the foot. I've made the same point that you just made in the Beginners and Glow Engines forum and I got power flamed. SHeeeeesh.
Old 05-03-2004, 04:58 PM
Johnnylightning

ORIGINAL: Goinstraightup

*snip*
I know full well that in any area, instructing or float flying or 3D ect., saving $10 - $30 on an engine, you are usually shooting yourself in the foot. I've made the same point that you just made in the Beginners and Glow Engines forum and I got power flamed. SHeeeeesh.
That's allright GSU, give'm time they'll learn.

Whenever anyone approaches me with equipment questions on 3D, my first answer is directed to engine performance.

I learned this from my dad, a long time ago. He had an old boat with a worn-out Evirude and we'd always end up stranded out in the ocean. His solution was to mount an old worn-out "side-kick" backup motor that never failed to malfunction as well

Needless to say, fishing was never much fun.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:00 PM
pizza
My Feedback: (24)

you just made my point, goinstraight everyone agrees this hobby is relatively cheep as long as you don't crash all the time. you can spend $30 more now to save $500 later. I can attribute just about every crash I had in the early days to engine or fuel system probs. I also lost 2 good years of 3d practice because of an unreliable engine. too many rcers are just getting by flying scared all the time learning nothing all because of poor engine performance. a nice new crisp hard running engine each year is a 3d requirement not an option. you will save hundred of dollars in wreked airplanes and blood pressure medication.
Old 05-03-2004, 07:34 PM
jongurley
My Feedback: (29)

I would go with a Saito 72,,,, or the new 82 that is the same case size as the 72, I have heard it is a monster.....[8D]
Old 05-04-2004, 07:40 AM
Rhilluk

Don't understand why people are putting such big engines in a Flip 3d, I thought a YS.63 was a bit extreme, the flip only weighs 5lbs for heavensake, whats up with the saito 100crowd, your engine not running properly you have to stick a monster in it.

More power = bigger engine = more weight = more power = bigger engine = more weight!!!!!!!!![&:]
Old 05-04-2004, 03:51 PM
Johnnylightning

ORIGINAL: foofydoo

Don't understand why people are putting such big engines in a Flip 3d,
*snip*
I agree, the flip is one of those airframes that doesn't need all that much power to 3D. I'm using a West .50T1 and an APC 12.25x3.75 and hovers are at less than 1/2, with plenty of pull out power, however, I fly at sea level.
Old 05-05-2004, 10:24 AM
Ian.W

foofydoo, lots of people put big engines in them as they fly at 5000=feet ASL. we are lucky in that most of england is quite flat so we can get away with the recomended engines. i use a west 50T1 13x4 and pipe with a missing screw on the backplate. hoers and TRs (which i pride myself in been able to do now) at under 1/2 power as jonny said
Old 05-05-2004, 12:21 PM
Shahid

But if you don't have money 'cause your 14 like me, I see no problem in keeping an engine running for a while.

Replacing a YS 140 every year is a bit expensive.

I see your point but you can't replace a DA150 every year now can you? A OS 46 LA sure no prob. I guess it all depends on engine, fuel, running in and what you do with it...
Old 05-05-2004, 03:29 PM
Rhilluk

ZEP!! I know, when I was 14 I had a problem affording my MDS 40, I know some people either can't afford it or don't want to spend the money.
But can we trust people flying 3D manouevers who aren't that good because they're learning or aren't, with dodgy equipment.
Old 05-05-2004, 03:35 PM
Shahid

Well since I am a 3d beginner. I would obviously learn at height and avoid people. Personally my engine is fine and provides bags of power. It has never gone deadstick. The only times is when I ran out of fuel. But never for a techinal thing. I trust my equipment fully.

All my rc equipment is fine too. I have a completely new 9CAP, at my field there has never been any accidents cept the old cuts from props. No one has even had a finger off in the time I've been there.

I can understand your concern, and no, I don't have an MDS I have an Irvine

Obviously if you knew your equipment was crap like radio problems and you were desperate to fly. Thats wrong. But if you have checked everything and its a ok. Go on ahead.
Old 05-05-2004, 04:02 PM
Ian.W

just to add to this thread..........i say this to all the 3D learners which i meat...............'you pay for waht you get' and to me thats good advice. buy an Magnum (just for example) for 80 quid and buy a YS for 220 quid. see wot im getting at?

just added a load of sexy carbon bits to my flip.....................pics soon
Old 05-05-2004, 04:31 PM
Shahid

just to add to this thread..........i say this to all the 3D learners which i meat...............'you pay for waht you get' and to me thats good advice. buy an Magnum (just for example) for 80 quid and buy a YS for 220 quid. see wot im getting at?
Not when you buy a Wattage Mirage. £20 and excellent fun, except for the motor. Replace it with a 400 6V.
Old 05-05-2004, 10:50 PM
Brett_ty

I have seen Chip Hyde and all the other folks that fly in SV AZ fly this thing with unbelievable 3D potential/performance with a YS 63...if I ever get this...that will be the engine that goes on mine...perfect match for all out 3D
Old 05-06-2004, 03:24 AM
Rhilluk

I have a Flip with the YS.63, and it's perfect weather here today, no wind, ( I'm in England) and I can't fly my Flip because I've not got the right fuel, needs 20% yamamda fuel, what a bummer.
But I garantee when I do get some it will be windy again.

Anyone know of an electric flip or have one, what they like.

Let's see those pictures edible_engine!!!!
Old 05-06-2004, 07:39 AM
Eric.Henderson

I have used both the OS 50 and the YS 63. No doubt in my mind that the YS 63 is the best choice. Thsi motor will turn that 3-D APC 12.25 x 3.75 prop at some scary rpms. Response to pushing for more power in the hover is fast.

Only problem I had with the Flip 3-D was the covering. Eventually peeled off all of the weird colors that were stuck on the clear covering. Added some fluorescent bands of color on the top only. Much easier orientation.
Old 05-06-2004, 08:07 AM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

ORIGINAL: foofydoo

Anyone know of an electric flip or have one, what they like.
I saw this video when I was doing a search for Flip 3D information.

[link=http://www.rccraze.com/flip.mpg]Elec. Flip 3D video.[/link]

I thought it had very impressive performance.

Jeff
Old 05-06-2004, 04:25 PM
Johnnylightning

Forget the Flip, let's find the vid on the heli...that guy was either really smokin', or totally outa' control!!!
Old 05-07-2004, 12:46 PM
Rhilluk

Flew my flip for the first time today.
Setup is
YS.63
Hitec 645MG servo's
1400mah nicd
and no rates!!!!!

It's fantastic, engine was tricky to set up, but I can't believe the reliability. roll rate is lighting fast - scary, had the elevators set to high as well. and my grand mother could knife edge it. It's climbs forever till out of sight,
still have some things to iron out. Thanks Dave for the engine help., here are some foto's.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80780.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	130032   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64230.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	130033   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp33718.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	130034   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cw63303.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	130035  
Old 05-07-2004, 12:50 PM
Ian.W

good. another flip fanatic. my sexy carbon bits are brilliant. Take a pic of them soon when i get my wing back from wre covering the tips. yes, i stuck em back on!
Old 05-09-2004, 01:46 PM
Rhilluk

How much right/down thrust should I put in for my ys.63 and flip, I know it needs some down. Does the flip have it built into it anyway.
Old 05-09-2004, 03:57 PM
Ian.W

nope, none built in. my flips got loads in iwht my west 50t1. no down.
Old 05-10-2004, 03:13 PM
Johnnylightning

0° Down...

...About 3° Right to start. What prop are you using?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.