Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

The biggest plane I have seen yet!

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

The biggest plane I have seen yet!

Old 05-21-2002, 04:47 PM
SunDevilPilot

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default The biggest plane I have seen yet!

Just playing on the net and came across this. I Thought 40% planes were big. Enjoy, Phil

Here are some other photos: http://www.gsal.org/projects/Robt_Sawyer/70Staud.htm
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	11826_8231.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	7952  
Old 05-21-2002, 05:06 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I don't get it?

I know large planes fly better and if you can afford them are a lot of fun. But when they get this large why mess around with a model when you can re route the controls to a joy stick, hop in and fly it? Another thing is insurance. Souldn't the AMA start considering limiting it's insurance to certain size's, weight's, and speed. If you can afford this plane you can afford your own insurance!
Old 05-21-2002, 05:13 PM
SunDevilPilot

Default Way above AMA weight

4) At all flying sites a straight or curved line (s) must be established in front of which all flying takes place with the other side for spectators. Only personnel involved with flying the aircraft are allowed in front of the flight line. Flying over the spectator side of the line is prohibited, unless beyond the control of the pilot (s). In any case, the maximum permissible takeoff weight of the models with fuel is 55 pounds.
Old 05-21-2002, 05:30 PM
snowflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, really. Forget about buying all those servos, just get in!
Old 05-21-2002, 07:10 PM
noname-RCU

The HKS 700cc engine alone is worth around 22K !! ... this engine is usually used in ultra-lite airplanes !!!!

I want one !!!!!
Old 05-21-2002, 07:25 PM
mwloy

Nevermind the plane, who's the hottie??
Old 05-21-2002, 07:27 PM
Todd 74
My Feedback: (1)

Default just don't know when to quit

Seems like there's always some screwball out there with all kinds of time, all kinds of money, and not a shred of common sense. Two year from now, some crackpot will have to outdo this guy and build a 90%........
Old 05-21-2002, 07:36 PM
robert

There are all ready 1:1s out there! Just let them do what they want. As long as they are not foolish and dangerous, and comply with all the regulations, its their money, their choice.
Robert.
Old 05-21-2002, 08:43 PM
Quickie
My Feedback: (4)

Default Too Much $$$$$$$$$

Next thing you know we'll be seeing 110% Edges.....

Just kiddin
Old 05-21-2002, 11:25 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Default is it your money!

To eachs own......

I have nothing but love for the guy doing his thing he has not asked me for any money to complete the project. What one guys spends on a 46 os motor is his thing, what some of us spend on a DA-150 is our thing. I think it's calling playa hating to just be negative..........some one told me "you can't take the money with you when you die"..... but the relative sure will fight over it........
Old 05-22-2002, 12:10 AM
edwarda10pilot
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 70% Studaker

Guys:

The model is a 70% Studaker. It is built by a guy in San Antonio TX. I don't recall his name but he does have the funding to do the model. I beleive that one of his businesses is to make composite parts for geneal and commercial aviation aircraft. He is not a looney, he just likes his planes verrry large. I say more power to him. No, he does not need to have the AMA insure him, he carries his own just like some other financially secure individuals in the world. Remember Jorge VOgelsang. Jorge is a German industrialist who used to go to the QUarter Scale of America Fly In in Las Vegas. He would show up every other year with absolutely incredible models. I beleive he had a 40% WW1 bipe a few years ago. He had 2 very large ME 163 Komets. One year he also brought a pre WW1 monoplane. If I recall, it was something like 110% or 125%. More power to them.

A10Pilot
Old 05-22-2002, 12:46 AM
A10FLYR

I'm glad to see someone who has the time and money to do the things I would do if I had the time and money!!! ;>)
Old 05-22-2002, 12:58 AM
Extra_flya

Yeah I am 12 yrs. old and i know I could just hop in that thing and go flying but hovering off the ground about 5 inches above is another thing. Don't think I will be doing that anytime soon at least if I am in the plane. Maybe 200 feet but no 2 feet
Old 05-22-2002, 01:58 AM
Scorpionjack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Biggest I ever saw was a 29ft B-29 with 4-100CC motors turning 4 hand carved 4ft 4bladed props at Byron's originals in Ida Groves Iowa in 1988.
Old 05-22-2002, 02:43 AM
RC_Junky

My hat goes off to the guy, what a project. I hope he finishes it soon, maybe we will get to see a video of it flying. Wouldn't it be great if he is of the 3D persuasion?
Old 05-22-2002, 03:22 AM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

When is it to big??? I mean come on, the guy could go buy a real airplane for LESS THAN THAT! To me thats a waste of money when I can be doing the real thing. Flying r/c is one thing, but hands on is another thing.
Old 05-22-2002, 04:32 AM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Default to each ?

i love to fly rc and at this time i have no desire to fly the real thing hum maybe he is thinking the same way........ again i don't have PHD.......
Old 05-22-2002, 08:10 AM
MarkNovack
My Feedback: (3)

Default Wow!!!

Although I am not a big fan of the Staudaker, this one is a beauty of engineering.

Any why not a 1:1 with the power to weight ratio that a man carrier will never achieve?

As for why not the real one? Well, some people (like me) just love to watch them fly. It's hard to see the beauty of the manuever from inside the airplane.

As for the negative opinions...well, you know how the old saying about opinions goes.
Old 05-22-2002, 12:24 PM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Obviously the guy has money - the picture was taken in his garage which looks nicer ( and cleaner) than my house. I'd like to know how he transports it, or does he have his own flying field.
If I had the time and money (I think I'll go buy a lottery ticket )
I'd be doing the same thing (maybe not that big). I love aerobatics, but can live without the "G" forces!!
-Will B.
Old 05-22-2002, 10:20 PM
Russman
My Feedback: (12)

The biggest RC plane I ever saw was at the Joe Nall fly-in. It was built by Pat Hartness and his crew. It was modelled after the old time Quaker free flight model. It was scaled up to 6 times the size of the original plane so I guess it would be a 600% plane. It had a 28 ft. wingspan and was powered by a modified Volkswagen engine. They split the engine down the middle and made it a pancake 2 cylinder. It swung about a 5 foot prop. One of the magazines,I don't remember which,took off in a J-3 Cub to follow it around and take pics of it. The Cub couldn't keep up with this thing! The really neat thing was that Pat had it set up with 2 transmitters and he would take it off,then switch control to the other transmitter and let people take turns flying it. There was quite a line. They were keeping a logbook of everyone who flew it.

I am for RC in any way shape or form. Big or small,to each his own. Let's just keep em flying!!!
Old 05-23-2002, 10:54 AM
Mike Wiz
My Feedback: (2)

This is an easy one guys...... I remember a couple months ago when I first saw pictures of this plane on the GSAL web site. I too thought it was ridiculous and felt the guy was out of his mind, but after some thought I changed my opinion.

Just because it would be ridiculous for me to own a plane like this dosen't mean it's ridiculous for everyone else in the world.

If I had his money and time I'd certainly do something else.....probably buy a foolishly expensive sports car but that's my dream and you are seeing pictures of his.

Pretty cool plane, eh?

Wiz
Old 05-23-2002, 04:10 PM
tomgtv6

The big question is when learning to fly it, what altitude is two mistakes high? 2000 ft?
Old 05-23-2002, 04:27 PM
SunDevilPilot

Default Where do you fly it?

I was just wondering where exactly do you flya a plane like this? An airport? It would seem that you would have to stand on some sort of elevated platform and then taxi it out on some runway. There is no doubt that this plane will need quite a bit of takeoff and landing distance.
Old 05-23-2002, 05:25 PM
Sport_Pilot

While I have no problem with people flying full scale R/C, I would like some reassurance it is done safely. How would you feel if John Travolta got the urge to fit one of his airliners with R/C gear and flew it around? How would you feel if Joe Abdula did the same? At what point does the FAA get involved. When you get to a certain size seems to me the aircraft would have to meet FAA safety standards. I kinda doubt this airplane would have the rib stitching, dual mags, inspection criteria that full scale planes have. These things are not just to protect the passengers but also the people the planes might crash upon.
Old 05-23-2002, 06:37 PM
Mike Wiz
My Feedback: (2)

Those are all valid concerns for which I'll bet none of you have the details. Why assume this plane is going to be flown in an irresponsible way if you aren't privy to that info?

I guess playing the devils advocate is good thing. People can learn things from this type of discussion.

From what I understand, the owner of this plane also owns a company that makes full scale airplane parts. My guess is that he knows exactly what he's doing and he's probably one of the most conscientious people piloting R/C aircraft out there.

Of course, this is just MY guess, but it’s as valid as anybody’s.

Wiz

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.