Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

WHAT 3D PLANE TO BUY FOR MY SAITO 100

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

WHAT 3D PLANE TO BUY FOR MY SAITO 100

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 03:08 PM
Scooterpilot
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHAT 3D PLANE TO BUY FOR MY SAITO 100

Hi All,

I have Saito 100 not being used. Could anyone recommend a 3d plane for the motor.

I've tried it on a UCD 46 and really didn't like it compared to the HYPE 3d. I'm looking for another plane that flies similar to the HYPE that will use a Saito 100

Regards,

Chuck
Old 01-20-2004, 04:18 PM
Fredde Flygare

Default RE: WHAT 3D PLANE TO BUY FOR MY SAITO 100

Hi Chuck,

Why not try a Diabolic from Topmodel? Superb finish ARF with excellent 3D capabilities. I'm very happy with my Saito 100 - Diabolic combo.

Regards,

Fredde
Old 01-20-2004, 04:32 PM
Marcelo3DBR

No doubt the best plane is the H9 Funtana!!!
Old 01-20-2004, 04:41 PM
Katana

Go for the flip 3d. I have one and i am putting a saito 91 in it. A 100 would be perfect. The funtana is to small for a saito 100 i think.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:33 PM
full throttle

1 Hangar 9 Funtana
2 Segull Models Razzle

My choice by rank, own'em both...great 3D machines.

Chris
Old 01-21-2004, 08:24 AM
CGAV8R
My Feedback: (2)

Ohio model planes Yak, I have this combo and it 3D's awsome.
Old 01-21-2004, 10:30 AM
mAvRiCk-inactive

Any 40 size plane!!! THat you wan ttoo over power ***
Old 01-21-2004, 01:54 PM
Gbee

cgav8tr,

Where to buy the Ohio Models Yak?

Is it a kit or ARF?

What does it cost?

I have Saito 100 in a UCD3D .60 with APC 16x4 prop....excellent combo, but I like Scale Aerobatic airplanes, especially if it can 3D.

Gbee
Old 01-22-2004, 07:59 AM
CGAV8R

The Ohio Model Planes Yak is a profile kit. You can get info at ohiomodelplanes.com
Old 01-22-2004, 10:02 AM
airmcn_2
My Feedback: (3)

Man I have a 60 size U CAN DO with some slight weight mods I have a OS91fx on mine it will pull out of a hover at less than half throttle, I have limitless acro capabilities. Just figured you might want to try agian
Old 01-22-2004, 06:44 PM
Scooterpilot

HI All,

Thanks for the response. I still haven't made up my mind on what to get.

Regards,

Chuck
Old 01-31-2004, 10:15 AM
Scooterpilot

HI All,

I've down sized my choices to the Flip and the Diabolic. If any of you have flown both models I'd like to hear your positive and negative comments about them? If you haven't flown both models I'd still like to hear your comments too!

Thanks

Chuck
Old 01-31-2004, 04:58 PM
Luke 3D returns

take a look at the ytinterantional website>
Theyeve got some pretty cool looking new 3d artf kits.
Luke
Old 01-31-2004, 05:33 PM
Scooterpilot

Luke,

I tried to find ytinternationad but couldn't locate it. Do you have the URL?

I FOUND THE SITE. Thanks

Thanks
Chuck
Old 01-31-2004, 08:16 PM
AIRPLANENUTS

Sig Mayhem 3d is an awesome plane for Saito 100.
Old 02-01-2004, 12:35 AM
RCXPLANES
My Feedback: (1)

Scotterpilot,
While I cant commebt on the Hype or the Diobolic, I have built the Flip with the Saito 100 and, for me, It is the plane I wanted since I started flying. I just flew it today for the 12 - 16th flights. I just love this plane. I have posted a bit of build insight and pics on this thread. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_13...tm.htm#1391453
I started it because I had questions about the build like you will if you choose the flip. Unlike you, I knew this was what I wanted to build.

If I may ask, why don't you want another Hype 3D? There are other members here that swear it is superior to the Flip 3D.
Old 02-01-2004, 05:44 AM
dean3d

www.ytinternational.co.uk

Dean
Old 02-02-2004, 09:42 AM
Scooterpilot

Errolw98,

I really enjoy the Hype. If I had to buy another plane and engine the Hype would be my first choice. The Weston 50-T1 with the hype is a perfect combination for weight and power. The balance on the Hype with the Weston is dead on and I didn't have to install any weight to balance the model. The flying qualities of the Hype are fantastic.

Since the Saito is heavier than the Weston I don't believe it is the best engine for the Hype. I'd end up having to add lead to balance it and that's just extra weight that doesn't contribute to flight. I'm looking for a model that will accept the Saito 100 without having to use a weight to bring the CG dead on.

If the Hype were destroy during flight, I'd immediately replace it. This is the only model that I'd replace. When I've lost other models I just buy another model. This flies so well I'm thinking about buy another for a spare. It's almost too much fun to fly and I"ve never had too much fun.

Hope you won't mind answering a few questions concerning your flip.

With your Flip, did you have to add lead weight to the model to get the CG correct? If so, how much did you have to add? The motor mount that came with the kit, did it Saito 100 bolt up to it or did you have to get a larger motor mount and modify the fire wall?

Regards,
Chuck
Old 02-02-2004, 09:50 AM
Funtanas56

if you relly want good performance from your funtana you can put it on there you will get amazing 3D performance and infinity vertical. Have Fun!!!!!
Old 02-02-2004, 02:12 PM
RCXPLANES

Chuck,
I am one who also hates nonfunctional weight. The exception to that for me was ditching that awfull Flip covering job. Even still, I would like to build the Hype with this engine for fun. It can't feel the additional 3/4 lb total on my Flip. In post #9 of the thread [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1391453/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#1391453]"Flip 3D and Saito 100?"[/link], I think I covered most of the installation. But to answer your specific questions here goes.

Weight and CG ballance;
After I completed the construction of the plane with the exception of the battery, reciever and switch, I put it on the CG Machine at Kyosho's (120mm - 150mm) rear most 150mm CG specification. I placed these three items on the plane's belly pan to achieve that ballance. The battery ended up in the middle of the rear of three over wing compartments, the switch in the center one and the receiver in the front compartment. If I change the battery placement 10 - 15mm fore or aft, I can change the CG dramatically. A few things to keep in mind in my case are, I am using a AA 2000 mAh NiMh 6 volt receiver pack, I am using a lighter pull / pull tailfeather control system. I have the perry VP-20 fuel pump mounted to the engine and I have recovered the plane with Ultracoat. I have no way of knowing at this point how the covering effected the tail vs the front of the plane's weight. I do know that without any ballast, I can get whatever CG I want.

Motor Mounting;
If you get a Flip you will see in the instructions that there are two mounting methods called for. I used the inverted 2 stroke method and the stock Flip 3D mounts. The mount is two pieces so it will accomodate a lot of different engines and configurations. When installed per the instructions, the Saito has no problem bolting up and easily achieves the 150mm, firewall to prop drive specification. Post #9 in the previously mentioned thread has good detail for what is required to get the throttle to work perfectly. The throttle servo needs to go on the opposite side of the plane from their pictures. No firewall modification is needed other than that called for to mount the tank and get the throttle linkage through thr firewall. In the motor mount attachment section is also three different fuel tank positions. I used the inverted 2 stroke specifications here as well. I think I would recomend against the CG mounted fuel tank unless a different regulated pump is used. It also severely limits the available overwing mounting options for the battery, receiver and switch for CG adjustment.

On 30 % Powermaster low vis Heli fuel and an APC 16 X 4W prop, there is unlimited vertical, unbelievable stall control and just a whole lot of fun to be had. This is an unbelieveable combo. Some taller landing gear is required. I am using the Graphtech U-Can-Do 60 main gear and Graphtech 15 Lb plane tail gear. The plane sits nicely on the ground and looks right. I am still smilling from Saturday's outing with this plane. It flies like a feather and builds confidence very fast. I don't think there is anything it won't do or trouble it can't fly out of in the right hands.

Get one, you will love it. Before you finish or buy the Flip though you should search the forum for Flip 3D info. Clipped wings, building tips, Hinge selection etc... can all be found here. I am always available for advice too, if you want it. There are some tricks to these to make them happy for the long haul.
Old 02-17-2004, 04:11 PM
motodude11

NONE FOUR STROKES BITE ASS
Old 02-27-2004, 09:33 AM
Jeff Hendricks
My Feedback: (3)

Has anyone tried putting a Saito 100 on a Hype 3D. I have one on my Funtanta and it works good. I just got a Hype 2D and I am wanting to use my Saito 100.
Old 02-27-2004, 12:09 PM
Scooterpilot

Jeff,

I have a Hype 3D with the Weston 50 T-1 and the Weston Pipe. With this combo the motor sets the CG as far aft as it will go and it be within the CG limit without adding any extra weight. A Satio 100 will require the use of a lot of weight to balance it to the correct CG limit.

You will also have to R&R the fire wall to install an engine mount for the Saito 100.

A .50 size motor hovers the model at 1/2 throttle and it pulls out of the hover into a vertical climb instantly. The model with all the radio gear and battery (2700 NiMH), switch, charging jacking jacks weighs in at 5 1/4 pounds. The movement of the battery pack changes the CG dramatically because the model is so light. If you decide to go with the Saito, paint the canopy so you can't see though it and mount the batter under the canopy so you can place it as far aft as possible.

The model is made entirely of balsa with almost no plywood to strengthen the fuse except for the landing gear and plywood to mount the servo's, I'd recommend staying with a .50 motor unless you want beef up the entire fuse. The Funtanta is a much better built model and has much more plywood in the model than the Hype.

If you do decide to beef up the fuse and firewall then go for it.

The Hype 3D is an excellent flying model. It handles everything you can throw at it but it will not tolerate a hard landing due to it's inherent weakness in the fuse.

Here's a link to the Hype you may want to look at: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11...tm.htm#1387799

Regards,
Chuck