Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Sportsman Avation - Aero Princess

Old 01-21-2004, 02:37 PM
red_z06
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Sportsman Avation - Aero Princess

Hi:

Anyone out there have this plane? I just bought one and would like to hear from other owners who flew it already.
I am considering NorVel 15 for power.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh17030.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	92916  
Old 01-23-2004, 12:44 AM
red_z06

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Sportsman Avation - Aero Princess

Aero Princess can be bought here.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/127505.asp
Old 03-06-2004, 08:30 PM
Epoxy Cup

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hello Red

Just saw it today on Hobbey Peoples site. Neat little plane. I have some 3D planes but though a small one to throw in the back of the car and take to some out of the way places might be fun. What engine are you going to use? I have an LA .25 laying around and was wondering if it would work. Let us know how it looks when you get it home. Pics would be great.
Old 03-06-2004, 08:31 PM
Epoxy Cup

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sorry Red didnt see you said Norvel .15 [8D]
Old 03-07-2004, 10:04 AM
no1speshal
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hello All,
This is a different Red, but I have one of these. I am trying to go out for its maiden voyage today and I will report my findings when I get back. I asked Sportsman Aviation what kind of performance I could expect with a bigger engine and they said that it would be unnecessary. I put an Enya .15 in it and they said that would be more than enough.
I can't wait to get it out there and tear up the skies! Tell me what everybody else has done and I will check back here with more details soon.

Red
Old 03-07-2004, 10:38 AM
red_z06

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

no1s:

What are the specifics?

Weight, engine, servo,etc?
Old 03-07-2004, 11:49 AM
no1speshal

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just cut and pasted from www.hobbypeople.net They have it for 79.99. I will not be able to fly it today, but as soon as I do, I will let you know.

Red

Specs:
Wing Span: 40.5 inches
Wing Area: 390 square inches
Length (overall): 34.50 inches
Weight (ready to fly): 27-29 ounces
Wing Loading: 10-11 ounces per square foot
Functions: A/E/T/R
Features:
Covered with lightweight transparent covering
Wing and stabilizer hand-built using balsa and plywood
Fuselage is molded fuel proof plastic with plywood and balsa sub-structure
Uses commonly available mini radio equipment
Custom lightweight hardware
Aluminum landing gear
Easy to finish and fly
Recommended Equipment
Spinner (1.5 inch, Magnum Alum 237150)
AP 15 ENGINE
4 channel radio minimum (with either a Y-harness or aileron servos)
Cirrus CS-18 servos (5)
8x4 propeller
Fuel line (Global 115923)
Old 03-26-2004, 08:45 PM
jimmysmooth

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

so how does it fly?
Old 03-27-2004, 05:45 PM
no1speshal

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I wrecked it. Yup, first time out...drove it straight into the ground. Shoot. Anyway, I took it back to the table and pieced it back together. It wasn't beat up too badly. I took it up again and wrecked again real good. This time, I shattered the fuselage and broke the wing off of the mount blocks. So, it is here in the repair room awaiting me to finish the project I am finishing up, so I can fix it.

The biggest problem I had was the identical coloring on the top and bottom. I lost it in the air real quick. The first time that happened, I recovered. After that, it crashed like I said. So, when I am fixing the fuse, I am going to recover everything to meet my liking. It will not happen again...at least I hope not.

If anyone else is out there with this airplane, let me know what you all thought of it. I like the way it looks and I liked the way it flew, if even for a moment. Talk to you all later.

Red
Old 03-30-2004, 03:39 PM
Sport_Pilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

So Red, its been over two months. How do you like the Aero Princess?
Old 03-30-2004, 04:14 PM
red_z06

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

sport pilot:

I have not started it yet. I got distracted in building Pilot Seduction Fun Master ( 10oz/sf wing loading ). It was my favorite until I lost it in mid-air collision.
I then got distracted in putting a brushless motor in GWS Formosa. This thing is a blast literally. Almost unlimited vertical, rolling circle, hover....
I will get to Aero Princess soon as Norvel .15 is waiting.
Old 08-16-2004, 05:17 AM
Dealspeed
My Feedback: (17)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just got my aero princess about three weeks ago but still havnt flown it yet, alittle nervous really this is by farr the coolest plane iv'e gotten yet.
I decided to go with the AP yellowjacket like it called out for, and honestly that little motor screams after break in. If i fly it soon and have good luck i will post my logs
Old 08-19-2004, 10:44 PM
brentp76
My Feedback: (14)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My club has decided to use this for a pylon racing event.. Pig races....
Old 08-28-2004, 12:08 PM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I finally got mine to fly. The first few flights ended in dead sticks. My last dead stick broke the fuse pretty good. I have a well broken in Norvel .15, with an 8x4 APC prop in the nose. I have run the combo in other planes with no problem, so I was confused. I did replace the O ring on the carburator. Also, when I was rebuilding the fuse, I noticed that the tank sits really low in the fuse. Since the motor is upright, the carb sits almost at the top of the tank. When I put the tank in this time, I put it in upside down with a lot of foam under the tank to keep it up against the top of the fuse. I needed to invert the tank because the stopper is offset. Now the stopper is toword the bottom of the tank, and it still lines up neatly with the hole in the fuse. I flew it yesterday and it flew great. Like no1speshal said, it needs some color on the top or bottom for orientation. The Norvel didn't have much in the vertical department, but it did drag it around well for most anything else you want to do. It was supprisingly fast, I figured with the thick wings it would just drag around slowly. Rolls where very fast and the tail has tons of authority. Too much in fact, I didn't set up any low rates on my radio and that caused me to stall the landing a little. Not much damage, but I need to repair a couple of breaks in the fuse.
Old 10-15-2004, 08:45 PM
2alpha
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Dialated:
Did you fly the Aero Princess yet? How bad is it?
Old 10-15-2004, 08:55 PM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I broke the fuse too bad on my last landing. I need to get another one. With the fuel tank set as high as possible, It flew well with no dead sticks. Don't plan on hovering though, at least not with the Norvel 15. I will get another one when I get through with a couple of my other projects.
Old 11-29-2004, 12:06 AM
Dealspeed

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey guys this is Dialated, Well i flew mine finnaly today for the first time, first ill tell you what i did different then everybody else in the powerplant area.
First off while breaking in my AP .15 I was very unimpressed with the performance, what i wanted when i bought this plane was a sick 3D Rocket, so i dumped the yellowjacket for a O.S LA.25 Took alittle grinding with my dremel to make her fit but after that it fit like a dream and with the motor only being a few grams hevier the the AP i didnt hurt the whieght at all (infact my plane whieghs 28oz which is what the average whight is for this plane). I also addressed the problem on the purple wing, I coverd the bottom in white except for the rib section which looks really sick, kinda like a banche 3D.

So shes ready for flight finnaly which almost ended in disaster the first 20 seconds in the air, i gave it full throttle on take off not realizing the plane would take off so fast plus it was trailing to the left abit, so i panicked alittle and barely recoverd it. Finnaly got her in the air and got her trimmed out and quickly learned that running full throttle was to much for me at the moment and wasnt even needed being that i had vertical climb performence at half throttle,
My second tank i was alittle more warmed up and i knew what the plane was made of so it was time for some aerobatic and speed tests and OMG, I couldnt have chosen a better motor for this plane im talking sick speed with snap rolls so fast and precise it would make you freak.

So any of you out there with a Aero princess, stick a .25 in it and hold on tight its one major spine tingiling plane
Old 11-29-2004, 07:56 PM
no1speshal

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Dialated,
I am glad to hear you had a good experience with yours. My AeroPrincess met its demise when I slapped an OS 25 in it. You are right, it snaps like nothing I have ever seen and the rolls were so quick, my blender at home shook in the corner. Unfortunately, since it is made of nothing more than milk carton plastic, the fuse broke on one of those snaps. I will replace it eventually, but it is low on my agenda.
Thanks again for the update though. I always like to hear about someone's success, despite my own opinions. It is those times that reminds me to try, try again.
Later.

Red
Old 11-30-2004, 03:30 AM
Dealspeed

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes i will admit i was abit worried about the airframe while doing some these moves, but i also took some time renforcing the crappy plastic fuss just because i didnt trust it.
Sad to hear it failed you, really is a fun plane i would deffinetly urge you to try it again some time.
By the way what size prop were you running? I just ran a 9X6 MAS prop
Old 11-30-2004, 06:59 PM
no1speshal

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey again,
I was using a 8x6 with my AP. I also checked into what others said about the AP .15 and all the reports were the same. CRAP! One guy, after a bunch of modifications got his to scream, but it took him a bit of metalic rearrangement.
I still have the wing and it is in good shape, so I thought about using it and building a wood fuse. I like working with what I am used to, so that would be an instant improvement. I may even reorder the tail feathers because they are sweet, straight from the factory. You are right, the airplane is pretty cool. I miss having it. Maybe just talking about it will give me the will to go ot and redo it again.
Talk at you later...

Red
Old 08-27-2005, 05:55 PM
altacom

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just ordered one, and it should be in next week. Planning on using electric on it. Lost my Mini Funtana due to dumb thumbs, and thought thhis might be a good replacement for it. Sounds like the .15 is a bit much of a motor for the airframe. Hopefully the Electric setup I plan will be more gentle, and for sure should bring it in a bit lighter.

Will pass on the word next week when I get it and try it out.

Old 08-27-2005, 07:36 PM
Dealspeed

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Wow heres a way old post [X(]
Iv had three of these now its an ok plane asside from the Blow fuse, thats the only weak point to be honest, last one i had I thre an OS 25FX on it talk about awsome power, so awsome the wing ripped off in flight heh oh well
Old 08-27-2005, 09:10 PM
altacom

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

These were out of stock for quite some time and just became available last week.

I have built 2 of the Sportsman Aviation planes, and have been impressed with the quality and ease of conversion to electric. I hope to have the same success with the Aero Princess.

The Starlet is a beautiful plane and flies great.

The Paramount is the same. It is very stable and flies any manuever with ease. The vertical is amazing. I plan on using it to fly IMAC basic next season after a great deal of practice. Havent flown in competition for over 20 years, and it is going to be interesting.

Specifications for both planes can be found at [link=http://www.altacom.us/models.htm]Dick Corby's Model Page[/link]

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87814.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	316039   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy77863.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	316040  
Old 08-28-2005, 07:34 PM
Dealspeed

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I wish Global would remake this plane with a balsa Fuse, it would be the most awsome .15-.25 size 3d plane, its so freaking light, mine with HS81MG All the way around and an OS 25FX came in at 29 1/2 oz wet, i was using a small 2c thunder power lipo 900mah mounted all the way in the rear of the plane. to bad i didnt reinforce the wing mount, it failed big time second flight, wing ripped it right out on a low high speed pass [:@]
Old 09-08-2005, 11:58 PM
altacom

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It went together fine, a few minor things that I overcame. Been in the hobby since 1968 so got it all together. Modification to Electric was a breeze. Came in at 27 oz. ready to fly.

Today I took it out to test fly. And it came off the ground perfectly, flew straight and level with just a few clicks of down elevator. After that I tried loops, rolls etc like a dream. Not into 3D, so great first flight just feeling it out, till the landing.

Normal approach, good sink rate, gentle touchdown, and the nose separated from the rest of the fuselage immediately upon touching the grass. Upon inspection found that there was no glue holding the wing saddle to the second bulkhead. Just a thin "fillet" of what looked like white glue. All that really was keeping it together was the thin plastic shell. Very poor construction to say the least.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.