Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Sig Mayhem 3D ARF

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Sig Mayhem 3D ARF

Old 06-18-2009, 12:07 PM
jship
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sig Mayhem 3D ARF

No thank You, Mine is ready, just have not taken it to the field. Been flying My new Four Star 120 BIY with a MLD 28cc gas. Maybe this weekend I can get the mayhem out.
john
Old 06-18-2009, 01:47 PM
Jezmo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: do335a

This will be a very nice plane and one of the most enjoyable thatI've had in quite a long time.It appers to me that we don't see more of them since it's not the most current, gotta-have-it, newestdesign of the month. So many people either do not know about it or simply pass it by. They are missing out on a great flyer.

Time to get some good video for the no-believers.
I'm with ya on this one. Ilove mine and yes Ibelieve if more people flew one they would love it as well.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:26 PM
frenchie79

I also agree and will never be without this plane in the hanger.
I wish they would produce this in a kit, that way i will always have the ability to own it. I'm in fear Sig may not be around much longer, so if you like the ARF you may wish to stock another.

I would like toget ahold of adamaged one if any out there to get the ribs and fuse parts drawn-any takers? I'll provide the plans after they are drawn if someone has a Mayhem to donate.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:42 PM
do335a

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: frenchie79

I'm in fear Sig may not be around much longer,
What is it that you know that I need to learn?What's the scoop that leads you to this fear?? Perhaps I should have made a bunch of templates before the assembly.

jship, I've had a chance to fly a 4*-60 on floats powered with an OS 91FX. Nice plane. The Mayhem, however, is something altogether different.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:36 PM
frenchie79

I will just say they have had some issues and leave it at that.
Sig really only has a few planes that sell and they have been great, but been around a long time with no new designs. The SSE, Mayhem and Four Star series are very popular. I have built them all and have planes on all their Kits- Friends of mine have tried to get plans or get them to offer the Mayhem as a kit but that won't happen. So i'm looking for a wrecked one.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:18 PM
Desert Toad

Glad to see this thread is still alive.

I have been trying my best to learn how to tune my YS 110, and I'm close but every landing so far has been deadstick.  But that's the motor and the operator.  while in the air the plane flies great, seems to have a few tendencies of a pattern plane.  Everything seems so solid and right on track, if I ever get the motor running right it might replace my OMP model as my favorite.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:21 PM
jship

Maiden the Mayhem to day.  4 Minutes of great flying.  Decided to see how it flew inverted and the engine about died.  Brought it back down, richened it up a little and took it up again.  This time it barely got off the ground.  Brought it around and put in on the run way before it died.  When I went to pick it up, fuel was running out around the wing saddle.    Took the tank out and it was split!

Well it was a good four minutes of flying.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:13 AM
do335a

Although I've had my share of snags with GP tanks that split, I've never had it happen yet with one from Sig.

Thanks for the heads up. Will keep an eye on it.

As far as inverted flight goes, I've found that my Mahem does that eaqually well as upright. About the only difference is that you see the plane upside down.

The OS 1.20 AX is still getting run in so there are changes in throttle setting virtually every flight. A bit of a nuisance but soon that will be past. I just make certain that it is running well enough so that it does not flame out.

My firend has had his OS 90 flame out very early on every flight. On inspection, we found that the engine was shot. The crank was sloppy, side to side, the bearings were toast, the crank was badly worn and scored, the con rod big end busing was oval and on and on. We'll see what happens with his Mayhem now that he's replace the engine with a new one. We have found though that the plane lands great when deadstick.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:33 PM
jship

I did notice that the Mayhem is a big floter.  It just kept going on and on.  To day I changed prop.  Going to try a 14x6.  Yesterday it flew with a 13x8.  It was to much pitch, ended up at idel about all the time.   I'm runing a old reliable Super Tiger 90.  This engine has had about 20 gal run through it and it still starts first time over.  No dead sticks here.
john
Old 07-14-2009, 07:26 AM
Ivo60

hey guys, Ivo here I dont know if I should start A new post, or this is protocol but here goes... I have a Sig mayhem 3-D which I use A 12o saito 4s on it. plenty of power. I use A JR 8103 72 mhz. with a spectrum module to convert to 2.4 . that also is great! for juice I use a 2c 2oooma lipo common sense brand. I have all 3305 fut. servos, even throttle. Knock on wood Ive not had any issues in about 1 full season of flying.I should add that, being this is my fav. plane I am very anal about preflight as I am on all my airplanes. I just thought this might fit this set of threads.lastly I add that this is my only plane of my fleet of about 16 that I use lipo power in. All others I use ni-cads. thanks in Advance for listening! Ivo Rockford Il.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:44 PM
jship

ORIGINAL: jship

I did notice that the Mayhem is a big floter. It just kept going on and on. To day I changed prop. Going to try a 14x6. Yesterday it flew with a 13x8. It was to much pitch, ended up at idel about all the time. I'm runing a old reliable Super Tiger 90. This engine has had about 20 gal run through it and it still starts first time over. No dead sticks here.
john
Very unhappy with the 14X6, any suggestions for a prop for a ST 90?
Old 07-14-2009, 03:54 PM
do335a

My friend is running a MA 15-6 on his Mayhem with an OS 91 FX.

Mine has a MA 16-6 with an OS 120 AX.

In the manual, Sig suggestes not using any more than 6" pitch.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:15 AM
vtcornercarver

remember that pattern pilots have been mounting ALL 2 stroke and 4 stroke engines inverted for years. they run fine, I currently have my YS 1.10 inverted in a Showtime .90 inverted and it will idle at under 1500, and transitions great. Same with OS .46, ASP 1.03, YS .61 , and many more.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:18 AM
vtcornercarver

YS engines put the fuel tank under a lot of pressure. that is why the vent line hisses when you release pressure before refueling. pressure is a good thing. it keeps the engine running consistently while flying inverted or verticle. a huge advantage over exhaust pressure engines.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:28 PM
byjoe
My Feedback: (3)

I have Mayhem fus. I need a wing or a rib to build a wing.Sig does not have any parts.
Old 12-28-2014, 04:13 AM
Kruzer

BYJOE - You're too far, I have a wing and want a fuse.
After many many flights, the firewall left the fuse on the upwind.
Back in '06 flight #50, the tank split, Sig sent me a new one (tank) but I guess although I washed the fuse thoroughly in solvent to de-grease the mess, it eventually took it's toll
Sig's been great, I wish they'd do another run of these, I'd probably buy two.
DLE 20 in waiting.....
Old 12-29-2014, 03:38 PM
Cyberwolf

The wing on the Mayhem is a constant cord wing all a person needs is one rib to obtain them all the belly pan is then made to fit and the wing tips can be of your own design. But the originals wouldn't be hard to make.
The fuse is more or less just a box with a turtle deck, fairly basic stuff in my book. That's another reason that I don't discard anything from a wrecked plane.
Some times I even make templates of everything before I start to build it.
The cowling might can be bought thru fiberglass specialties I don't know. But again a person can make that from wood aslo if push come to shove
Old 12-29-2014, 03:57 PM
Cyberwolf

I don't recall any plans with my mayhem just some hand written sketches and some typed out written instruct's pretty basic stuff.
There are several plane's out there that are very close to the Mayhem but unfortunately all of them are arf type models too.
As far as i can see the easiest way to get some plans is to get some masking paper and some good straight edges and a tri square and start to work.
Honest it will take longer to make the plane than the plane.
Old 05-25-2015, 05:01 AM
jamtay

I picked up a 72" mayhem arf, new old stock from my local hobby shop for 100.00+tax I could not pass it up!! Before this I was flying 40 size birds and of course all my equipment is too small starter, servos, battery so I have had to buy all new stuff now that good deal is costing a whole lot more!! I bought a os 1.20 ax for it hitec 645mg"s on the wings and 5645mg on the tail 2500 6v battery, mpi hd switch with battery meter built in, 2- 6" 2- 18" twisted hd servo extensions. I am using my old Faithful jr 72.mhz raidio. its a sweet fast building arf! I am using the 90degree muffler adaptor for the 120 ax and getting all that to fit in the cowling! is a challenge! just thought I would add to this long running thread to keep her going If any one has used the 120 ax in his model I would like to know if it will be nose heavy, should I put the rudder servo in the back? all reply's welcome.
blindnut
Old 05-25-2015, 07:11 AM
Cyberwolf

I have a 120 YS in mine which weights more than the AX and I didn't need to move any servos
Old 05-25-2015, 08:25 AM
LMProd

, Great plane especially at that price. I have been flying one for years. Use it mostly for aerobatic not 3d, have a Saito 90. 4stroke. Fly,s great. A crack in the fuselage right in front of the horizontal stabilizer started to appear after many flights, super glue fixed it. Looked like an assembly joint was coming appart.
Old 05-25-2015, 06:03 PM
do335a

Originally Posted by jamtay
I picked up a 72" mayhem arf, new old stock from my local hobby shop for 100.00+tax I could not pass it up!! Before this I was flying 40 size birds and of course all my equipment is too small starter, servos, battery so I have had to buy all new stuff now that good deal is costing a whole lot more!! I bought a os 1.20 ax for it hitec 645mg"s on the wings and 5645mg on the tail 2500 6v battery, mpi hd switch with battery meter built in, 2- 6" 2- 18" twisted hd servo extensions. I am using my old Faithful jr 72.mhz raidio. its a sweet fast building arf! I am using the 90degree muffler adaptor for the 120 ax and getting all that to fit in the cowling! is a challenge! just thought I would add to this long running thread to keep her going If any one has used the 120 ax in his model I would like to know if it will be nose heavy, should I put the rudder servo in the back? all reply's welcome.
blindnut
If you go back to posts 1118, 1125, 1133 and a few more, you'll see that I put an OS 120AX into my Mayhem and made a few comments on how it was set up and behaved.

The most significant points for you are:

1. no extra weight was needed. The battery pack sat in the fuselage just behind the wing. I made a hatch in the fuselage bottom.

This actually put the CG a bit far back for the initial flights which as a consequence were quite exciting.

2. while it flew great on the 16" prop, landings were much better with the APC 17/4 wide blade prop. Overall, my preference though was the 16" prop.

3. because the all up weight was only 8 pounds, performance was really spectacular, especially the slow flight capability.

I found the Mayhem to be a very enjoyable plane. A fellow club member liked it so much that he asked me to sell it to him. He got the better part of the deal.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:06 PM
Vince Wickline

I acquired a Sig Mayhem 72" size in a horse trade with a couple other planes. I doesn't have more that a couple flights on it. It has a new OS Max .75ax on it. It's been sitting a long time and the covering is brittle.

My question is will it fly with that power plant, seems to me it's under powered. Plans are to recover it put a couple flights on her and sell it. Not really what I wanted it was part of the deal. Also what is the going rate on one now a days. Just plane or plane with engine if it will fly with it, and no radio gear.

Thanks,

Vince
Old 04-14-2016, 02:25 AM
bra67240
My Feedback: (36)

As you have seen in this thread, the most popular engine for the 3D Mayhem in the YS 110 or 115. It is one of the first planes in this size range to be truly 3D. I have owned and flown planes with the OS 75. It is a very powerful engine but the 4 stroke and gas powered engines are a better fit for this plane. I would not question the power of the OS 75. I would think it has easily enough power for the plane. I'm not sure of it's 3D characteristics. Now that Sig has dropped the Mayhem, there are probably a few old Mayhem lovers out there willing to pay a fair price. This plane is one, that if I'm taking two planes to the field, the Mayhem was almost always one of the two.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:59 AM
Vince Wickline

Originally Posted by bra67240
As you have seen in this thread, the most popular engine for the 3D Mayhem in the YS 110 or 115. It is one of the first planes in this size range to be truly 3D. I have owned and flown planes with the OS 75. It is a very powerful engine but the 4 stroke and gas powered engines are a better fit for this plane. I would not question the power of the OS 75. I would think it has easily enough power for the plane. I'm not sure of it's 3D characteristics. Now that Sig has dropped the Mayhem, there are probably a few old Mayhem lovers out there willing to pay a fair price. This plane is one, that if I'm taking two planes to the field, the Mayhem was almost always one of the two.
Thanks for the tip. I will plan to recover it and take it to the field and have a little fun with her before I sell her..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.