Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Perry Pump - VP-20 Oscillating pump

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Perry Pump - VP-20 Oscillating pump

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2004, 07:56 PM
going vert
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Perry Pump - VP-20 Oscillating pump

Has anyone run this VP-20 Oscillating pump with a Saito 1.80? Is it worth the investment? I'm thinking about using it with my Cap X.
Old 02-13-2004, 10:15 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Perry Pump - VP-20 Oscillating pump

Not worth the trouble IMO. Had one on a ST3000. Hated it. Wouldn't deliver enough fuel to satisfy the engine.

You might look at the Perry 30 pump. It requires a tap into the backplate and works off pressure pulses. Problem with that is that all 4-strokes have a crankcase vent. You probably won't get enough of a pressure pulse out of the engine to work the pump with that vent tube open-- as it should be.

I don't think you can just use the crank vent to run your pump. I'd imagine that the crankcase needs to vent to prevent pressures from building up inside.
Old 02-14-2004, 01:59 PM
outssider
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

had one with 180 saito mounted on a glass mount...mount allows to much vibration causing the pump to pump erratically! (oscillation pump's pressure is proportional to the shake intensity)

if you go this rout, better use an aluminum mount ...but i would go with a cline type system.

I have the perry pump sitting on the shelf!
Old 02-14-2004, 04:34 PM
Ernest-T
My Feedback: (7)

I ran one on an inverted Saito 150 and it worked great. I also have one on an inverted Enya 90. In both situations I could not change the position of the fuel tank, and use the pump to regulate fuel flow.

If you have a tank - carb situation that you cannot remedy it will help, but I would not recommend one just for the heck of it. It does make carb adjustments a little more tricky.
Old 02-14-2004, 10:51 PM
grinder-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

I have the VP-30 pump with an RCV-90 4 stroke. The pump can draw fuel pretty far as seen in the pics. The first pump i had was defective and sent it back and received an replacement free of charge. I don't have any info on the VP-20 or the satio 180 requirements.

Grinder.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax73083.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	101027   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28426.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	101028   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk15716.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	101029   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sm29152.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	101030  
Old 02-17-2004, 08:34 AM
SMALLFLY-
My Feedback: (19)

All I can tell you is I have the black oscillating pump on my OS 160 in my DP Bipe and It runs like a champ with it. Wouldnt run worth poo with the pitts until I added the pump. I use the normal tank pressure as well. Not sure if the pump alone would work without tank pressure to help it
Old 02-17-2004, 08:52 AM
Lee Belew
My Feedback: (2)

I have the V-20 on my Saito 180 mounted on a Ultra Stick 120. Before the pump the engine would stop pulling on a vertical climb after a short distance. With the pump the engine continues to climb until the plane gets higher than I want to fly it. Or in other words it performs the way I hoped it would when I purchased it. Remember the pump has an adjustment on it to control the fuel flow. The engine is installed on a Dubro mount with the rubber cushions.

Happy Flying

Lee
Old 02-17-2004, 09:54 AM
CCDave
My Feedback: (53)

Vert,

I used a Perry Pump on my 180 and the results were marginal. I ended up using an Iron Bay fuel regulator and I am VERY pleased with the results. The reason I needed the pump or the regulator was that my tank is above the needle valve with the engine mounted inverted.

I suggest you go with the Iron Bay regulator www.ironbaymodelcompany.com... It uses a pressurized the tank like the YS, all the parts you will need to complete installation is included. If you still want to use the pump let me know and I will make you a deal on mine... Probably less than 2 hours of use on it.
Old 02-17-2004, 07:06 PM
going vert
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: CCDave

Vert,

I used a Perry Pump on my 180 and the results were marginal. I ended up using an Iron Bay fuel regulator and I am VERY pleased with the results. The reason I needed the pump or the regulator was that my tank is above the needle valve with the engine mounted inverted.

I suggest you go with the Iron Bay regulator www.ironbaymodelcompany.com... It uses a pressurized the tank like the YS, all the parts you will need to complete installation is included. If you still want to use the pump let me know and I will make you a deal on mine... Probably less than 2 hours of use on it.
Looks good. Why are you selling and how much will you sell it for?
Old 02-17-2004, 10:02 PM
CCDave
My Feedback: (53)

Vert,

The reason I am selling it is that I am not using it. The fuel regulator better met my needs... Tower sells them for $27.99 + Shipping.. So how about $20 shipped? I even have the longer screws you will need to properly mount it on you saito! Drop me a note if you are interested.