Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

What would be a good RC Flight Simulator to practice 3D

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

What would be a good RC Flight Simulator to practice 3D

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2004, 11:48 AM
Albatross
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would be a good RC Flight Simulator to practice 3D

I recently upgraded my computer, now I am running on Windows XP, new hardware (USB parts, faster graphic, fast connection, etc). I have the RealFlight simulator from Great Planes (old version). I noticed that is hard if not impossible to perform 3D maneuvers on this program. What would be the best simulator out there to practice this RC airplane modality?
Old 02-13-2004, 12:23 PM
Luke 3D returns

Default RE: What would be a good RC Flight Simulator to practice 3D

Aerofly Professional.
Old 02-13-2004, 12:26 PM
Wozmondio

Haven't tried Real Flight G2 but looks good. I have Aerofly Professional and love it, hasn't turned me into the smoothest 3D pilot in the world but has definately helped with getting your orientation right with the more tricky manoeuvres (torque rolls, rolling harriers..etc).

Obviously cant talk from personal experience but from what i've heard the biggest difference between Aerofly Pro and Realflight G2 is that G2 needs quite a bit of setting up to get it right, where as Aerofly Pro seems sweet straight out of the box.
Old 02-13-2004, 01:19 PM
Maverick_0408
My Feedback: (3)

Hi

I have Real Flight Generation 2 and I like it so much... The graphics are better than Aerofly and the realism too! It's really easy to perform 3d maneuvers with it but it depends on the airplane you choose, if you want to do 3d I suggest you to download 3d planes on rfg2 swap page...
But that's only my opinion so...

Thanks

Maverick0408
Old 02-13-2004, 06:25 PM
zonker123
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just sold my real flight and bought the aerofly pro
Real flight is prettier and you can modify a lot more of the planes characteristics but Aerofly flies more realistlcly. Its really really hard to get a plane to flat spin or harrier in G2, it doesn't seem to allow a plane to fly in a stall like Aerofly does.
as far as graphics, unless you are staring into the cockpit the graphics for the planes in both sims are excellant, but I would give the nod to G2 for the graphics in its 3d scenery. Realflight gives you music built into the software, Aerofly you to have download MP3 music files to have any.

Aerofly was a lot easier to setup so i could use my own transmitter (JR 8103) than G2. But the transmitter that comes with G2 is a LOT better than the "game commander" that is available with Aerofly. The "game commander" is not worth the extra money they charge for it. Very toyish.
If you do choppers, i think the Aerofly definetly flys better than G2

take care
zonk
Old 02-14-2004, 09:13 AM
stomper
My Feedback: (20)

Aerofly Professional.
Old 02-14-2004, 09:21 AM
Ian.W

AFP
Old 02-14-2004, 12:40 PM
Albatross

Thanks for your inputs guys.
I fly mode I. Since most of the time the mode II Transmitters are readily available, I always buy a mode II TX, then I made the conversion to mode I. By doing so, I save couple of 10's dollars for the relatively easy conversion ( the money might not always be the main reason, sometimes the lead-time and/or availability is ridiculous).
As a matter of fact I had to to do the same think for my old RealFlight Simulator box plus couple of modifications on the game port settings. Now the G2 is offered in mode I and mode II versions.

The next question would be: does Aerofly Professional support mode I transmitters?

Otherwise if you pass me the link of the manufacturer and/or distributor website I would appreciate it.

Thanks again
Old 02-14-2004, 01:07 PM
stomper

ORIGINAL: Albatross

Thanks for your inputs guys.
I fly mode I. Since most of the time the mode II Transmitters are readily available, I always buy a mode II TX, then I made the conversion to mode I. By doing so, I save couple of 10's dollars for the relatively easy conversion ( the money might not always be the main reason, sometimes the lead-time and/or availability is ridiculous).
As a matter of fact I had to to do the same think for my old RealFlight Simulator box plus couple of modifications on the game port settings. Now the G2 is offered in mode I and mode II versions.

The next question would be: does Aerofly Professional support mode I transmitters?

Otherwise if you pass me the link of the manufacturer and/or distributor website I would appreciate it.

Thanks again
Yes they do.

Here you go >

IKARUS USA
5876 Enterprise Parkway
Billy Creek Commerce Center
Fort Myers, FL 33905, USA

Phone: 239 - 690 - 0003
Fax: 239 - 690 - 0028
Email: [email protected]
Old 02-14-2004, 01:10 PM
stomper

ORIGINAL: Maverick_0408

Hi

I have Real Flight Generation 2 and I like it so much... The graphics are better than Aerofly and the realism too! It's really easy to perform 3d maneuvers with it but it depends on the airplane you choose, if you want to do 3d I suggest you to download 3d planes on rfg2 swap page...
But that's only my opinion so...

Thanks

Maverick0408
NOT
I think you might want to take a second look!
Old 02-14-2004, 01:41 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you tried AFP you would not even consider Real Flight or any other Sim. AFP is the way to go. I fly at the Flying Electrons Field in Menomonee Falls. Maybe you've flown there.

Joe
Old 02-14-2004, 02:25 PM
Albatross

... I think I know that Joe

see you at the filed ...
Old 02-14-2004, 04:57 PM
Shogun
My Feedback: (2)

G2 is great for learning to FLY and foe familirization with the way different types of planes feel, warbirds vs trainers for example. It is, however, woefully lacking for 3D flying. Yeah, you can get some of the planes to sort of 3D but they don't feel "real" at all in my opinion.

Aerofly Pro on the other hand is THE 3D sim, feels so real it's scary. The planes actually stall like the real thing, something G2 doesn't do well at all.

I think it's a situation of picking the right tool for the job. If your new to RC either will do. If your moree advanced and want to learn stalling maneuvers, ie 3D, then AFP is the sim to go with.
Old 02-15-2004, 10:32 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let's put it this way, any 3D manuever that you can do on a real rc plane you can practice on AFP. No exceptions. I practiced a blender on AFP and then went out to the field to try it and it was exactly the same (except the wind carried it away from the field...gotta watch that). Also the rolling harriers were the same. The only difference again was that I had the wind turned down in AFP. I haven't been to the field since I learned to hover on AFP though. I expect the same result. The nice thing is that there are many people in this forum that you can get advice from and share planes/scenery with. STLPilot has really shared some cool models with us (thanks dude).

Joe
Old 02-15-2004, 12:50 PM
AcousticTX

Well guys, they should put you on a commercial I think you just sold a copy of AFP.

Here is my 3D experience with G2

Flatspins are impossible unless you have a plane that is set up so unrealistic it's no longer a learning tool... just a game.

A real harrier is also close to impossible, you can fly sloooow.. but for some reason the tail will not drop much and it will never fly quite right, and I've tried dozens of planes.

It is possible to hover, quite easily at that... but I would give it a 4 on realism. It can teach you about what corrections to do when the plane starts falling, but when you get your real plane out.. dont expect it to behave so easily.

Waterfalls are possible, but like flatspins, the plane has to be pretty unrealisic.

I think I'm gonna order AFP now... just what I've been looking for by the sounds of things.

Edit----------

Is taking off any more realistic on AFP? Or can you still take off in 3 feet with a 40LA?

Edit----------

Thanks guys!
Old 02-15-2004, 12:58 PM
Ian.W

Well, ive found on a TOC cap its abit wackit open and your in the air, But who cares! Its in the air wot counts

Its a good buy
Ian
Old 02-15-2004, 01:10 PM
AcousticTX

thanks, that wasnt a selling point for me, just curious... *ordering now*

Thanks!
Old 02-15-2004, 01:41 PM
Shogun
My Feedback: (2)

OMP is selling the AFP sim with add on pack one bundled together. I ordered the version with the game commander(fake trans). Now that I have been flying it for a while if I had it to do over again I probably would have saved the money and just bought the interface version. The interface version uses a cable to connect to a real transmitter and is less expensive.

Get it here:
www.ohiomodelplanes.com

While the game commander works fine it's a no frills peice of gear, it only has one push button switch which can be limiting. I started flying the sim using my Eclipse and being able to use the rate switches and all of the goodies a computer radio offers is much better than being limited to just a set of gimbals.

Of course you will need to own a radio that has those features if you intend to use them in the sim and you will have to charge the trans batteries so you can use it. It's a minor thing though considering the expanded capabilities that using the "real" trans gives you.
Old 02-15-2004, 02:04 PM
AcousticTX

Yeah, I ordered the interface version from OMP just before reading this post. It looks like the interface is the old futaba type so I might have to get some other type of adapter before I can use one of my computer transmitters, but hopfully the real flight interlink transmitter will work just as well. Looks like its gonna be a blast