Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

British Freestyle Champs 2004 - RCM&E

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

British Freestyle Champs 2004 - RCM&E

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 01:13 PM
loadeddice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default British Freestyle Champs 2004 - RCM&E

Hi all you 3D UK nutters. This is simply an informative post to let you know that arrangements for this event are under way. Venue will once again be Knebworth, Herts & probably early September. More importantly a website now exists & is being progressed on a weekly basis. Additionally the proposed new 'fixed' programmes have been constructed & now require pilots feedback. If any there are any brave individuals who might welcome an early season challenge please email me for details. All feedback/comments will be absolutely confidential.

[email protected]

An article is currently being compiled for RCM&E, in which new rules will be introduced to improve event efficiency & safety. Also the new event format will be revealed. This new format has been introduced to produce a more varied freestyle content.

If any pilots would like to email me some pic's of their latest creation, static or flying, with captions, they could easily find their way onto the pages of RCM&E.

I'll keep you all posted. T.W. (your friendly Contest Director)
Old 02-14-2004, 01:21 PM
Dave Matthews

Default RE: British Freestyle Champs 2004 - RCM&E

Hi Terry,

Great news. What is the web address. I will give it a shot this time around if the date suits my late holidays in September.
Old 02-14-2004, 01:24 PM
Ian.W

Ill give it a go this year if i pass my B. Hopefully Capiche if i get it to fly in time and if it lasts to sept.

Ian
Old 02-14-2004, 01:33 PM
AsM

Missed it last year, so will probably just go as a spectator this year. Like to see what its about before i compete. Maybe next year...
Old 02-14-2004, 02:56 PM
Welsh3D

I've sent TW an email basically suggesting a list of mandatory maneuvers over a fixed schedule.

My thought is that a freestyle comp should leave you free to do what you wish.

What does everyone else think about it??
Old 02-14-2004, 03:00 PM
Ian.W

Absolutly! FREEstyle. Get that, freestyle. to do wot you want i think. Outherwise call it the fixtyle.

ASM, good choise. Im glad i fail my B last year for 2 reasons: 1) would of came last as i was crap then and i want prepared and 2) ive never done a comp.

Ian
Old 02-14-2004, 03:33 PM
peter_m

i agree good move welsh 3d
Old 02-14-2004, 03:52 PM
The boys Back

The problem with "just freestyle" is the judging. I would not have enjoyed being a judge last year!!, how can a judge compare if its just a free for all, after all a judge can only compare. I think the comp would be much more efficient if compulsory moves were the order with a small percentage of the score for the last flight of each pilot (freestyle) I.E 2 rounds of compulsory moves and 1 freestyle with points like 40, 40, then 20 for the 3style.

This would reduce the carnage and help develop piloting skills; it is far herder doing compulsory moves or a schedule than just stick bashing.

Just my thoughts.

Dave
Old 02-14-2004, 04:16 PM
peter_m

no if you try that then you are moving away from the whole idea of FREESTYLE AREOS and it becomes almost pattern like with set monuvers. fly freestyle you shuold be free to do want you want
Old 02-14-2004, 05:26 PM
Welsh3D

Dave, I mentioned that point very briefly in my email. I understand what you mean, and quite agree in terms of making it easier on the judges, but a suggested list of maneuvers can be as many as 5 or even 10 for each flight, this allows the pilot to make the sequence themselves, keeping it quite FREE, whilst also having say 50% of the maneuvers in the sequence being known, so the judges life is a bit easier.

I'm all up for keeping the judges happy, but it's still no good having the judges happy and the pilots not.

It doesn't bother me if there is a fixed schedule, I'll still enter, but as far as I can see, adding a fixed schedule is just turning 1/3 of the comp into a different category.

Presumably to keep up with the 'trend' there will be 3d flying in each round. With a fixed schedule (or two), this would have to be written in the schedule, and not every model present last year, even in advanced class, was really 3d capable, therefore, the people flying this type of model are instantly down on potential points.

I think a solution is 2 rounds with a list of compulsory maneuvers (that can be flown in ANY order) lasting approx 1/2 of the flights, and the time in between these maneuvers used for whatever the pilot wishes, thus FREESTYLE!!! then the last round being purely freestyle.
Old 02-15-2004, 05:09 AM
Luke 3D returns

Yes if you have a series of compulsory manuvers (blender,kinfe edge loop e.t.c) that you have to include in your freestyle display, then judges will have an easier job, and the flying is still freestyle.

I think that one of the reasons it has grown so much is that you can do whatever you want.......... also, judging by the variety of planes entering (especially in the sport class) it would be difficult to make a completely fixed schedule that fitted and allowed every type of plane to fly at its best.
Old 02-15-2004, 07:23 AM
Archie

I think there should be rounds, followed by a fly off, during which those finalists are blind folded for their last flight.... thenthe BEST man will truly win !
Old 02-15-2004, 09:06 AM
Welsh3D

I'd love to say that there's 'no harm in trying' such an addition, but indeed there could be... If they were to intrudce set maneuvers we could see if people like it, people prefer it etc, and then if the feedback says so, alter the rules again for the next event.

We shall see, we can even have a poll to see what everybody else thinks about the idea(s).

Regards.
Old 02-15-2004, 03:00 PM
mikey-3d

i think also music in the schedules should add points in the overall pakage,as long as you chose the right music to fly to and coreograph it to the schedules then a enhancement score would be good.
Old 02-15-2004, 03:06 PM
Ian.W

well, i think its a bit unfair if you fly to the type of music you like and the juges dont like it so they mark you down. I think yes, you should have a fly to music bit like the heli masters but they give you points on how well you fly to it, not if they like your music.
Old 02-15-2004, 03:10 PM
mikey-3d

that wasnt what was saying
Old 02-15-2004, 03:12 PM
AsM

Im for the idea of more judges, say four or so like in pattern, then
u get a score from each one and take the average or mebe just add them together, Then u get get a more balanced set of scores...
Old 02-15-2004, 03:14 PM
mikey-3d

the schedules will probably be printed well before the comp in rcme,which would allow enough time to chose a piece off music to suit.
just a thought.
Old 02-15-2004, 03:18 PM
Shahid

Would love to get into comp flying. Problems? Never done 3D.
Old 02-15-2004, 03:19 PM
Archie

i was only kidding about the blind fold !
Old 02-15-2004, 05:12 PM
Shahid

I could never fly to music. Orchestral yes.....
Old 02-16-2004, 03:48 AM
simon Ka

I would of thought only the final freestyle round would use music to the pilots descretion. The set schedules being without.

Set schedules for part of the comp must be the way to go, judges will always be influenced by low "Bertie Big Balls" manouvres -
but does this show the pilot can also fly with accuracy and finesse? A comp that encompasses both set schedules and Pilots own Freestyle will
be a greater measure of true ability.

Conerns over it becoming more like a pattern comp? that will be driven by the manouvres chosen in the schedules, Put some real tough
rolling circuits in .....that will sort the men from the boys!
Old 02-16-2004, 05:15 AM
Sprink

Why not a list of manouvers for each round, say 12, and you have to pick 8. That way if there are any that you or your plane cant do, you can avoid them, while the really good fliers can choose the 8 hardest.

The list of 12 could be from a total list of say 20, so some overlap, some unique to each round.

Would also have to watch descriptions especially for the new 3D manouvers - ensure everyone is thinking the same thing re walls harriers etc.

The freestyle would then be the order in which they were done, how they are linked to each other, and how they are done - more points for rolling circle at 10 feet v 100 feet, more points for a harrier pass with a tail tap/drag etc.
Old 02-16-2004, 05:57 AM
Welsh3D

Ie, what i've been saying all along, but your idea of choosing the maneuvers from a catalogue is good too.

Simon KA... Most of the pilots were doing rolling circles and all that last year.. Paul Marsten for instance flew some very technical patterns.

Perhaps they should mark 50/50 on 3d and traditional aerobatics!??!
Old 02-16-2004, 08:36 AM
Gizmo3D

I may be wrong but i think that the now defunct TOC had at least one round where the pilots flew a fixed pattern. Since the TOC was THE 3D event to win i guess its not all bad!

It's my understanding that there is going to be a pure freestyle round, a fixed pattern round (or one where you make your own schedule from a catalogue of manouevres) and a freestyle round with music. Personally i think it would be good... but i guess theres only one way to find out!

One question i had last year is how much 3d and pattern should you do in a flight... well for anyone who's looking to enter this year for the first time the answer is...

3D. Lots of 3D. Lots and lots of 3D!!!!! There is room for some of the more technical stuff of course (like Welsh said, Paul M flew some beautiful one roll circles/loops etc) but essentially its all about aiming your plane at the floor at pulling out at the last second! Seriously though if your not a proper bo 3D'er then its game over. I was woefully underprepared last year and i'd love to have another crack at it but at the moment it doesn't look like i can make it.[]

Shame really 'cos i've got a reputation to repair!

- Martin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.