Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

New Plane, Which Engine?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

New Plane, Which Engine?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2004, 03:45 PM
Arnold Schwarzenegger
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Plane, Which Engine?

Hey people how are you!?

First, of all, I would like to thank everone in California who voted for me as their governor, I really won't disappoint you.

I bought a Hangar 9 FuntanaS 3D 40 ARF and I was wondering if you could help me choose and engine for it.

I havve about 3 years of experience in the hobby and I have had my trainer(Superstar) and my second plane which was a Sig 4star.

I am leaned towards a 4 stroke, and since it is my first time with them, I would like some help because I do not know much about their brands and quality and such. Please keep 2 strokes out of the subject.

Thank you all in advance and long live California!
Old 05-02-2004, 08:16 PM
flyinrazrback
My Feedback: (69)

Default RE: New Plane, Which Engine?

I would go with a YS 63 with cool power 30% heli fuel, apc 14x4W prop, or also the new saito .82 with the same fuel and prop as listed above. I like the YS personally, just because it has a pump.
Old 05-03-2004, 01:44 AM
pizza
My Feedback: (24)

4 strokes don't work for 3d, just like that california vehicle registration tax
Old 05-03-2004, 04:42 AM
Dickymint

I have ordered the Saito 91 for my Funtana. It depends how you wan't to fly it. The recommended Saito 72 will be fine for stooging around and most 3D stuff but the 91 will give lots of vertical power and good punch out from the hover. I fly electric 3D foamies which have great power to weight ratios, and thats what I want with te Funtana.
Old 05-03-2004, 08:12 AM
pizza

Ok dickymint, you will learn the hard way just like me and many others. there is a big difference between "power to weight (punchout power) and weight releative to air molecules. I prefer to supercharge a small engine and save lots of overall weight which makes 3d stuff much easier and safer close to the ground. you don't like your foamy because it has good punchout power but because it flys in slow motion - floats down like a feather or potato chip is very forgiving when mistakes are made - if you want this same feel you have to keep it light
Old 05-03-2004, 10:28 AM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

There's been lots of threads about celebs who fly RC in the Clubhouse. This is the first I've heard of Arnold (you) flying RC.?..?

There's an incredible video of Zak West flying a Funtana with a Saito 100 in the Videos section right here on RCU. Sorry I don't have a link, but the video's section is new and is on the RCU homepage.

Jeff
Old 05-03-2004, 01:34 PM
Dickymint

Pizza you right about the foamies and I do like to make my planes as light as possible. This will be my first 4 stroke and I have selected it based on recommendations for the Funtana. I believe 4 strokes have more torque than 2 strokes and thought that would be the best choice. My other 3D plane, similar size and weight, has an Irvine 53 and will only just prop hang at full throttle. Keep meaning to get a pipe to see if that will improve it.
Old 05-03-2004, 01:56 PM
Boogie

Hi Arnold!! Is that really you??
I think that if you have flown Sig 4star and you want to start 3d you should get Saito 72
Chris
Keep it up
Old 05-03-2004, 02:29 PM
Shahid

I doubt its him, but then I may be wrong. Yep try a Saito 72, Im not sue about this but if the 82 is a bored out 72 then Id go for that. But thats not out yet, so go for Saito 72, runs on cheap fuel too.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:46 PM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

ITS NOT A TOOMA Arnie ..

Go with the Saito 100 - check the funtana thread! I had a .72, it was good, but tried the 100... a LOT more fun!!

Unless you strip the funtana down to under 5 pounds (yes, it can be done but ugly and expensive) go with the 100..

I promise you won't be disappointed..

I'll BE BACK

DP
Old 05-03-2004, 03:03 PM
Shahid

If he really is Arnie he can go for a 80% B52
Old 05-03-2004, 04:57 PM
3dbatixkid

ORIGINAL: pizza

Ok dickymint, you will learn the hard way just like me and many others. there is a big difference between "power to weight (punchout power) and weight releative to air molecules. I prefer to supercharge a small engine and save lots of overall weight which makes 3d stuff much easier and safer close to the ground. you don't like your foamy because it has good punchout power but because it flys in slow motion - floats down like a feather or potato chip is very forgiving when mistakes are made - if you want this same feel you have to keep it light

I dont see how you can say that 4-strokes wont work for 3D. I have a Saito 100 in my Funtana, and it is just about one of the best fun fly planes it size that i have ever owned. I have a video of it racing a UCD in vertical. It flies straight up just as fast as it does in level flight. The "punch power" (if thats what you want to call it) is enourmous. I have found that 4-strokes are better on light 3d planes than 2-strokes, because they can swing a large prop. You really dont need a lot of RPM, just thrust. Running a 15x4 APC on the Funtana provides much more thrust than (lets say) a YS 45 with a 12x4. Even though the YS will swing the 12x4 at around 12000, I can get more power out of a 15x4 at 6900.

If weight is what you are looking at, then the 4-strokes still dont have a problem. My Funtana with the 100 is 6.5 lbs, not the lightest, but it still flies awesome. A UCD with the same engine weighs 7.5 lbs, still with plenty of power for all low to the ground 3D. The UCD at 7.5 lbs is a total kite.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:37 AM
pizza

3dbatixkid, you are a good 3d pilot, flying a heavier setup with 4stroke works well for you. I just notice that most beginners that show up with 4 strokes and heavier setups take much longer to learn 3d and have many more crashes, than beginers that start with foamy or very light 2stroke setups. 4strokes with lots o torque/thrust spining shorter props with lots of pitch tend to "jerk" the airplane around and require expert throttle management to keep them in line - a much lighter 2stroke setup spining a big diameter prop with low pitch makes 3d much easier in my oppinion - the prop spinning at a much higher rpm creates a gyro effect helping to keep the airplane verticle for hovering, harriering, is seems to slow down realism giving the pilot more time to coordinate 3d inputs. this is just my oppinion, I have tried both.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:01 AM
invme

4 strokers are great power houses but a saito 100 is way too much and its really has a displacement of 1.10 so why they didnt name it the saito 110 is deyond me but it also weighs way too much and if you try it you may risk tearing out your fire wall. The new saito 82 has the same case size as the 72 but has 10% more power i have one on order for my twist so it should prove to be nice for 3D lets just hope that you do all you say you will for the residents of california my grandpa voted for you
Old 05-04-2004, 09:30 AM
TailTwister
My Feedback: (1)

I have one with the 72, and power is very marginal. I flew one for a pal with a Saito 91 and it was a much better combo. My 72 ins now in a profile, and the Funtana is waiting for a Saito 82.

Simply, the Funtana is better with a bit more power than a Saito 72.

Good luck Gover-nator,
Old 05-04-2004, 10:13 AM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

Great Wisconsin Brobro minds think alike..... I have an .82a on order as well. Mine is going on a Flip 3d.

Jeff
Old 05-04-2004, 10:42 AM
TailTwister

Do you think that Saito will drop an engine now? When I saw the 100, I figured the 91 was done, but not so. Is it done now?
Old 05-04-2004, 10:53 AM
AcroJo

ORIGINAL: ZepPilot

If he really is Arnie he can go for a 80% B52
Zep, its Vittorio in one of his multible personalities. Joe
Old 05-04-2004, 11:16 AM
Luke 3D returns

Pizza, fourstrokes arent necessarily heavier. Compare the Saito 72 to the Irvine 53.I have both. they weigh vitually the same. The saito has more power. And now the Saito 82 has come along...

Fourstrokes however spool up a lot quicker than two-strokes, and this benefit is exagerrated by the fact that they are swinging a bigger prop too. The plane responds instantly to the throttle change, and this makes 3D and freestyle especially a lot easier in my opinion. Also the thrust is there sooner to help you get out of trouble.......
The nicer sound also greatly helps 3ding beginners here in europe where noise restrictions are heavily enforced, and many older flyers dont like a plane hovering away with a screaming two stroke on board which makes them feel nervous.

But at the end of the day its what you prefer and how deep your pocket is i suppose............
Old 05-04-2004, 12:21 PM
Shahid

Zep, its Vittorio in one of his multible personalities. Joe
I figured that already. Say, it is Vittorio, then he probably was not Italian after all. So Vittorio is not. Thats my theory.

Pizza, fourstrokes arent necessarily heavier. Compare the Saito 72 to the Irvine 53.I have both. they weigh vitually the same. The saito has more power. And now the Saito 82 has come along...
Ohhhhhhhhhh! I can't wait for the 82!!! With an 82 in a Ready2 I will prophang that plastic heavy arsed git!!! But thats no fun with a Ready2. I wonder how much the 82 will cost? Its stupid to think if an Irvine .53 will fit into a .40 sized plane, that an 82 will as well!!!!

So we'll start seeing. Wazzplane: Super Manky trainer 40 suitable from .40 to .82 sized engines.

Now thats just silly.
Old 05-04-2004, 04:33 PM
RTK

Arnold has been out of the country for the last week, I doubt he would have the time to visit us here.
Old 05-05-2004, 05:12 AM
edible engine
Banned

[:@]RC Universe admins, how can you tolerate someone called himself "Arnold Schwarzenegger"?
Old 05-05-2004, 05:35 AM
coomarlin

ORIGINAL: pizza

4 strokes don't work for 3d
I think you have lost your mind my friend [sm=rolleyes.gif] The fantastic lowend power and the ability to spool up larger props faster make 4 strokes great for 3D.
Old 05-05-2004, 09:16 AM
stdun

Do you have to be in this country to log in ? Someone with his abilities could do it in flight or anywhere I would think. I would like to get his comments on the forum suggestions (which I tend to agree with, I have a Funtana with a Saito 91).
Old 05-05-2004, 09:34 AM
Spaceclam

Pizza, Four strokes will work great for 3d, becasue of their instant throttle response and they will swing a larger prop (very important for post stall) at a lower speed (larger props swinging slower are more efficient than smaller props spinning faster) and if you get a light four stroke like the ys 63, you will have plenty of unlimited vertical while swinging a larger prop allowing you to have more control authority at low speeds while weighing just ounces more than a comprably powered 2 stroke. 4 strokes work great for 3d. instant throttle response is another important aspect, which not too many two strokes have. fast throttle response is good, but i like the ys engines. they are at full throtle as fast as you can open up the carburator. go with the ys 63 and you will be very happy i assure you, or the saito 82. i have not owned either, but i have opperated them and they are phenominal engines; both of them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.