Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

3D Frenzy at Joe Nall

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

3D Frenzy at Joe Nall

Old 05-16-2004, 01:14 AM
ZMan3D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3D Frenzy at Joe Nall

I just got home from my first trip to Joe Nall. I have been to some big events before, but never like Joe Nall.

Living under a rock, I have never heard of rc universe until I was told about it at Joe Nall, when I was asking about this airplane.

There was a guy flying a plane called a Frenzy. The most amazing airplane I have ever seen. It had a full flying elevator and the rudder was, umm all rudder? It was kind of funny looking, but flew like a 40 size profile.

It did a wingtip spin of some sort he calls a Toilet Bowl, it just spins on the wingtip and just stays there, right on the DECK!!. Did fast water falls and he had it hovering inchs of the runway. I thought I could make a U-Can-Do do some wild stuff, but like like this guy.

I never got a chance to talk to the pilot with so many airplanes to look at, so does anyone have any info on the Frenzy? Kit, ARF, plans, anything?

Does anyone have any pics of this plane? All the pics I took are on film, like I said, living under a rock.

I had no idea this was here and no idea airplanes could fly that way. I am sure I will become a regular user on rc universe.

Thanks,

Z Man
Old 05-16-2004, 07:57 AM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 3D Frenzy at Joe Nall

Are you talking about the plane that kind of looked like a fish from the side profile? It was kind of ugly but did fly great!!!!
Old 05-16-2004, 08:57 AM
ZMan3D

YES John, thats it. It did look like a fish.

Z
Old 05-16-2004, 09:03 AM
CJ32769

Did you guys see the really Nice plane I think it was a Cap that hit the tree yesterday morning? What a shame it was painted in the chrome-a-lusion paint that changes color according to the angle you look at it. All I can say is that it was a little early to be wearing those dark shade. It wasnt even the kids airplane. I mean "Arplane".

Oh yes about the frenzy, I saw it but I don't know who sells it.
Old 05-16-2004, 09:10 AM
CJ32769

Hey guys it's already here on RCU
[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1671674/anchors_1698912/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#1698912]FRENZY[/link]
Old 05-16-2004, 07:38 PM
Bladeflyer
My Feedback: (23)

To CJ32769
The Plane that hit the tree in the a.m. on Saturday was a 40% Composite ARF YAK that we had all been watching the day before. That guy kept trying to torque roll it and hover it over the runway but was having the hardest time. The aircraft alone is about $4,000 with the special paint job he had on it, plus the engine and radio gear and other equipment he had in it. Didn't look like he was doing anything special but sure did make a large sound and mess after it hit the tree. The look on the guys face said it all.

Also saw a Giant WACO that got a radio hit and spun into the ground. Felt sorry for the guy, his wife and young son were in the pilot box with him when it hit the ground. I heard they found it but it was in pieces.

Saturday was not a good day, 9 aircraft in all hit the ground, combination of pilot error, radio hits and confusion. Saw one midair, and it ws not pretty.
Old 05-16-2004, 09:58 PM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have pics of the frenzy but I don't have access to upload the photos here and angelfire.com doesn't remote host anymore so....... []
Old 05-17-2004, 01:12 PM
BBW Walt
My Feedback: (11)

Talk to Kris^ he's got the scoup on the Frenzy..Hi Kris^ KLOTZ
Old 05-17-2004, 05:30 PM
Thunderbolt47
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Channel 50 was no good Friday I lost my 1/3 scale Pitts. Went in to hold, and down it went There were two other planes lost on 50 friday. If I had know that I wouldn't have flown my Pitts!
Kelly
Old 05-17-2004, 05:39 PM
YNOT

WOO HOO made it home and finally woke up.

Like the Frenzy? Not the prettiest plane, however built for purpose.

While drinking, Kris and I come to the concusion that a more radical 3D plane was needed.

The Frenzy is #1, soon to be followed bt #2 and so on. There are a couple of people who are interesed in kitting the plane, however no additonal details are availabe at this.

Kris designed the Frenzy and built it, for me.

Keys to the plane for the start, Full Flying elevators that would not flutter, full flying rudder and quad ailerons. The quads have not been programed, yet.

The great folks at Flight Fotos ([email protected]) took a lot of pics of the plane, however these are all I have. I am sure other RCU'ers took a pic of it. Many mags took pics and info on the plane.

Frenzy:
80" wing
BME 50
Prince 22-8
ZDZ Tuned Can on custom header
2-8411's on the elevators
4-9152's on the quad aileron set up
Some bigass Hitec on the Rudder

On the 1100 mile trip home, I decided to recover the plane to make it look like Nemo. People kept saying it looked like a fish, so a fish it is.

BTW, Something very cool. Flight Foto took pics of everthing at Joe Nall and some trully spectacular shots including all the top pilots and an adventure though the woods in seach of a H9 Ultimate. They are going to sell a disk with pics on it. Worth the few bucks to buy it. The pic of the Ultimate on the fishing boat is worth it alone.

errr...............all this typing and I can't get the pics to load, will try in a bit. If anyone else has any pics, please post them.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:13 PM
YNOT

Pics by Flite Foto
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74912.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	133794  
Old 05-18-2004, 09:13 PM
Kris^
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Hey Klotz ! !

Good to finally meet you

About the Frenzy . . .the first prototype is kind of a cobbled up work in progress that showed me a lot of what the plane was capable of, but it's still not radical enough. I've talked a bit with Ynot about improvements, possibly a Profile version of the plane in a .60 sized planform . . maybe a 1.20 sized as well. I've sent Letters of Intent to 3 companies, outlining what I want to do with the plane, including the Profile versions of it. Tomorrow I order wing cores for 4 2nd generation prototypes, with upgraded wing shape to make it elevator, harrier, snap, and roll better. Square wings are nice and docile and predictable, but if you want performance. . well. . sometimes you have to go out on a limb. I'm going to knock out a couple of Profile fuselages during the next week, using foam sandwich construction, and get to work refining the tail assembly for ease of manufacturing and assembly.

One thing I am very proud to say .. not ONCE did we see any indications of flutter or control problems with the plane. The engineering is sound, the design WORKS, and we know where to go to improve it. We'll be shooting to lower the weight a LOT, simplify construction, and rehash the wings for much better performance potential while at the same time having a very stable aircraft when desired.

One other thing to note.. . Both Ynot and I have performed "Pinwheel" maneuvers, where the plane is hovering, then flips over sideways 360 degrees and back to a hover. The design can be improved, and in the next month I'll be doing just that. . Then. .WATCH OUT. . perhaps it will be "at a Hobby Shop Near YOU" very soon.
Old 05-18-2004, 09:49 PM
RTK

Put me on the list KRIS^.
Old 05-18-2004, 11:27 PM
DMehalko
My Feedback: (42)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Get me a kit and i'll test one out and reccomend improvements. Got to get the people's thoughts in it to ya know.

David
Old 05-19-2004, 05:16 AM
Kris^
Banned

One thing I forgot to mention. . Ynot told me that the NINE TIME FunFly champion (can never remember his name) came up to Ynot and was telling him how much he LOVED that design. He said he was glad someone had finally developed the stab and rudder and gotten the fuselage side area forward enough to make a plane fly the way this one does.

I'll bet a few people who like to COPY things are hard at work figuring this thing out right now, and probalby are going to try to clone it or make "versions" of it. they can't really use the name, since I and Ynot have already done that .so. .if it doesn't say FRENZY on the plane, it's NOT from me and Ynot or an "approved" vendor source. I just want to make it clear to the "Idea thieves" in this industry. . . I'll take it VERY personally if they try to rip this off. Yes, the full flying stab was done before .. the dorsal/ventral full-flying rudder has not, however, and the shape is . . . well. . it just IS. .

I'm an Ex-Marine (Okay, there is no such thing. . . once a Marine .. always a Marine. . ) I have no use for lawsuits or the courts.

That being said. . everyone who is interested in the plane can be SURE that we are hard at work getting it into production ASAP. Last night I boned up an entire tail section, using a new "full floater" flying stab that allows the Stabilators to move in opposite directions and also increase the strength and ease of installation for the fin. I even added a place for a tailwheel. I'll post pics of the profile version as soon as I get it flying, then it will be shipped off to Ynot for evaluation (OS 1.60 in this one).

So. . you guys can relax. . it's on the way, if I have to hand-make every one of them myself.
Old 05-19-2004, 07:17 AM
gwright

I was very impressed with the Frenzy also. Might make a nice addition to my electric fleet if the weight is OK. What is the weight with the 50cc gasser?
Old 05-19-2004, 10:57 AM
Kris^
Banned

Right now the 50cc plane is a porky 16 lbs, but I'm confident that with a bit of work it can be brought into the 14-14.5 lbs range for a 2000 square inch wing. This is where the redesign and a bit of careful materials selection can make a big difference. I'd like to see it at about 11.5-12 lbs with a OS 160 on it. For the profile variants I want to see about 10 lbs with the OS160 on the nose, and the same sized wing. Of course, "Performance options" such as floating individual stabilators, full-flying ailerons, CF wing tubes and the like are all in the mix. The smaller you go ( under 1.20 sized planes) the less you can do and keep it light. The worst part, that no one considers, is that covering has weight, and the covering on the prototype added 18 ounces to the airframe.
Old 05-19-2004, 12:18 PM
gwright

That's definately a bit on the portly side, but without vibration concerns, a lot of weight can usually be saved. My Larger E3D's for instance are 1640 squares, 90 inch span, and only 9 lbs flying, including a pound of motor and 2.25 lbs of battery. I saw that carbon (might be fiberglass, dunno) tube "runners" were used in the fuse of the frenzy. Very nice. Seems so obvious but I've never thought of doing that. Good strength with hardly any weight, gotta remember that Very interesting design.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:51 PM
YNOT

I found this one on another site.

It was Jerry Smith who was the FF Champ.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59824.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	134221  
Old 05-20-2004, 08:38 AM
Zpat
My Feedback: (2)

Ynot,
That picture you posted of the frenzy with 90* of reflex and about the same in elevator was an interesting configuration.
What was the results of the control surfaces in this manner? Was it an elevator or something really strange?
I want one!
Old 05-20-2004, 10:16 AM
Kris^
Banned

When Ynot flies. . it's ALWAYS a bit strange

I am making templates and pieces for the profile fuselage today. . very simple contstruction with internal battery, receiver and semi-internal tank mountings, plus dual wing locations to help make it easy for the CG to be set, depending on the engine. I'm also going to include internal tunnels for wiring so that the plane keeps a very clean look about it, and CF longeron reinforcements on the aft fuselage to help keep it rigid and prevent it from folding right behind the wing (a weak spot in funflies)

$250 worth of wood is on it's way as well. . enough for 4-6 planes, complete and RTC. It will be nice to find out how well these go together.
Old 05-20-2004, 11:03 AM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

ORIGINAL: cowboyway88

Channel 50 was no good Friday I lost my 1/3 scale Pitts. Went in to hold, and down it went There were two other planes lost on 50 friday. If I had know that I wouldn't have flown my Pitts!
Kelly

There is NO excuse for that kind of interference. At an event that big the club or AMA should supply a spectrum analyzer / channel monitor to take a look at what is going on. At the very minumum, the admin should have placed a warning on the channel pin to prevent others from suffering the same fate.. seems to me like 5 or more planes had trouble on 50. The analyzer costs about $3K for a good one, seems like a lot more than that was lost in aircraft on hits. Crying shame.

If I could have made the trip, I would have spectated at the Nall, but would have no interest in all in flying there. I am not really sure why anyone other than the "worlds best" factory sponsored pilots bother to fly there, seems like a lot of hardware was lost to the chaos.. at least the factory guys get new planes... my opinion anyway.

Cowboy - I feel really bad for you losing the Pitts in front of your supporters. Again - cryin shame..

DP
Old 05-20-2004, 12:16 PM
heli001
My Feedback: (5)

DP,

Had you attended the event, you would have seen the frequency control setup during the "controlled" flights. The frequencies were controlled starting after the AM pilots meeting, until the late afternoon F/S show part of the event. Before the pilots meeting and after 5 PM, the flying was on the honor system and the frequencies were NOT controlled. While we did not have a 3K spectrum analyzer, we did have a pretty sophisticated frequency monitoring system using a scanner and a laptop that showed "Hot" channels. During the controlled part of the program, this system saved more than several aircraft. Please understand that we make every effort to make the flying as safe as possible during the program part of the show, free flying is allowed before and after the main part of the show, and it is the pilots responsibility to acquire the pin for his particular channel. The only shoot down that I know of during the controlled part of the event was when a pilot asked for the wrong pin number. The events that are mentioned above were during the times when the frequency board was not manned and the honor system was in place. In reference to the Waco, it was not determined to be a hit, that I know of, as the channel was clear as soon as the radio was turned off. Please remember that there were 500 pilots, all of which, wanted fly.

If there was a perfect system for frequency control, it would have been invented 25 years ago. We are working very hard to provide the safestest flying enviornment and frequency control system that you can have, and more improvements will be made for next year. If you have any further questions about the system we are working on, please feel free to ask. If you want to know how I know, I was one of the two frequency coordinators. Believe me when I say, we ALL feel the hurt when a plane goes in for whatever reason, and to the people that lost aircraft, I am truly sorry for your loss. Before you go blasting an event or a system that was in use, please understand the FACTS, before you post. [X(]
Old 05-20-2004, 06:50 PM
extratorker

The Yak and the Ultimate mentioned above both belonged to friends of mine that traveled down with me in the trailer.The ultimate was a defintite radio hit,I was spotting for him when it happend.He got locked out at 200 feet and the plane just went into a slow spin all the way down,just missing a lake by about 3 feet.Thankfully there were a couple guys fishing that saw it happen.They said it actually planed out over the lake and went into the woods horizontally instead of vertically.Besides needing new wings and a cowl the plane was in great shape.He took in stride and was joking about it as we pulled it from the woods.Now the yak,thats a different story.It was crashed by a young guy who had crashed the plane also the day before.After spending 14 hours repairing it,my buddy let him fly it again and thats when it was destroyed.I wasnt there to see it happen,all I heard was the crash.Unfortunatley,with over 500 registered pilots at an event,things will happen.Nobody is perfect.The staff at triple tree did a great job once again and should be commended.This was the second year for me and it just keeps getting better..
Old 05-20-2004, 06:53 PM
extratorker

Pictures of the ultimate salvage

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.