Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Moki vs hand (Warning - graphic images)

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Moki vs hand (Warning - graphic images)

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 09:21 PM
runover1
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You've tempted me!

I had an accident with my Magnum 40 and a 10x6 prop. I was trying to reach up and tune the high speed needle while the engine was at full throttle. Well, it b-i-t m-e h-a-r-d. I am just glad it didn't hit any tendons. I had to get 6 stitches and it still causes me a little pain every now and then. Good luck guys, and keep those fingers out of the props!

Oh and by the way, for you shop table saw guys who like running fingers through the saw, here is a link to an awesome new tool for you: http://www.sawstop.com/video.htm

Here are the photos of my adventure.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34343.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	139005   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn42009.jpg
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	139006   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zf88057.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	139007   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ou57679.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	139008  
Old 06-02-2004, 10:06 PM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Moki vs hand

OWW OWWW OWW, I don't seem to cut myself often, only break bones and tear muscles[:@]
Old 06-03-2004, 04:52 PM
Vacaman

Ok, I am not the only one with props marks. I have a nice marks of my 11x7 APC at full throttle. This are 10 days after.
[img][/img]
another
[img][/img]
Old 06-03-2004, 04:54 PM
Vacaman

oops, here are the pics.
[img][/img]

[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39875.jpg
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	139207   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16034.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	139208  
Old 06-03-2004, 05:27 PM
runover1

stupid us!!! [&o]
Old 06-03-2004, 05:54 PM
TNRabbit

What does APC stand for????

Amputate
Perforate
Cut

OR

Atomize
Peel
Crush

OR

Applies
Pressure to your
Cartilage

OR

Annihilate
Pulverize
Cripple

[sm=eek.gif]
Old 06-03-2004, 07:03 PM
tartago

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Moki vs hand (Warning - graphic images)

Bloody post!!

I wonder what would happen with giant airplanes!!

Let me tell you an anecdote that happened to one of my best friends.

He was holding his plane vertical to adjust revs with one hand. Than , another friend asked him

how much did that plane cost. I was 200 bucks, so my friend raised two fingers and POW!,

100 bucks discount!!! He got hit in oen finger with the rotating knife (AKA prop).

Three weeks later the wound healed and we still laugh.
Old 06-03-2004, 07:12 PM
runover1

Arghh![X(]
Phuey![>:]
Curse![:@]
Old 06-03-2004, 10:45 PM
3D-kid330
My Feedback: (1)

Advanced
Precision
Cutter
Old 06-04-2004, 12:34 AM
skysthelimit

I have never been nicked by a gas plane (i love electric starters). I have been hit by my electric was getting ready to trow it and hit full throttle knocked one of my wrist bone out of plane. after about 2 years the knot finaly dissapeared where it went no one knows. but that must have seriously hurt why don't you use electric starters i would rather buy a starter than lose my fingers that might just hurt a little.seriouly
Old 06-04-2004, 02:08 PM
CptCliffhanger
My Feedback: (6)

I'm sorry I started this post!! This is disgusting!!
Old 06-04-2004, 03:37 PM
Ian.W

captin: im afraid i gotta disagree with you. i think this thread is a lesson to all. read this and take heed.
Old 06-05-2004, 04:50 PM
Luke 3D returns

Too true. I once gave myself a nice haircut when i crashed my mini ifo into my head doing a loop around my Transmitter aerial.
Think much can be learnt from this as i did from that.[:@]
Old 10-11-2006, 11:48 AM
SQUARE ROOT
My Feedback: (33)

Just and update. My flip-top-pinkey started this post and the tip still has nerve damage. It still feels like it is asleep when I type any of these characters :;" 'p./
I still think I got away cheap though.

Mike
Old 10-11-2006, 04:59 PM
agexpert

Shame on you Cliff!!

This should have been saved for halloween. Guess we'll have to post airplane carnage on the 31st...UNLESS....hey Cliff, you wanna start my plane for me??!! I THINK the throttle servo is un-reversed or is it re-un-reversed again? Anyway, just start it for me....
Old 10-11-2006, 11:37 PM
cougar347

I want to start by saying that I'm very sorry for your injuries and glad to hear that you're doing OK. That was a close one.

I'm kind of surprised to see that Aviti was the only other person who questioned whether or not your plane was sufficiently restrained, as that was the first thing that I thought of when I read your post. The fact that you had to tackle your plane kind of gave it away. I sure hope that this incident will give you cause to consider some type of restraint for your plane when starting it. Any plane, even the smaller ones can be a handful when starting, especially if they're all slopped up with oily residue and difficult to hold on to. If you don't want to invest in a good restraint, at least have one of your flying buddies hold the plane for you while you get it started.

As for the Moki's, I have two of them, and I routinely hand start both of them. One back flip does it almost every time. That said, you have to be very careful about the procedure. I have almost made the same mistake as you did, and it was because someone was talking to me as I was going through my start up procedure. I looked over at the last second and saw the throttle stick was wide open. That one incident taught me that you have to be very focused when starting a plane, especially one that you're flipping by hand. Don't talk to your buddies, don't do anything but concentrate on what you're doing at the moment. My starting procedure is simple. Open the throttle. Prime the motor by turning it over by hand four times with a finger over the venturi. If your cowl prohibits you from accessing the venturi, use a small squirt bottle to shoot a little bit of fuel into the venturi. Close throttle. Turn over by hand eight times. Open the throttle three clicks. Turn prop counter clockwise until it's coming up against compression. Install the ignitor. Grab the spinner and flip it backwards (clockwise). If you do it right, your fingers should not be anywhere near the prop, even if it backfires. Occasionally the motor will begin running backwards. Sometimes you can blip the throttle and it will kind of caugh and then start running in the proper direction. If that doesn't work, just shut it down and start over. I've seen guys grab the spinner and try different things and it makes me cringe. I don't want my fingers/hands anywhere near that prop.

I haven't had much luck starting it when the cylinder temperature is hot, I usually just let it sit until it cools down and then try it again. I like using an accessory panel where I can adjust the voltage to the plug. I usually turn it up for the Moki's, they seem to like more plug heat when starting.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:54 AM
redskytattoo

APC = Arterial Power Cutter!

Hehe!
Old 10-12-2006, 05:55 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am starting my Moki 2.10 this weekend, I will get a nice TURKEY STICK!
Old 10-12-2006, 09:48 AM
LowKey3D

I have a 2.10 used a geared starter when new. Once broken in and the carb primed you can grab the spinner and flip it back against compression and it starts..
No need to touch prop.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:15 PM
Robert Bauer

I may be wrong, but from what I read the WOT at start up caused the unrestrained plane to lurch forward and injure the hand. I really feel he was lucky that was all that happened. DO NOT start a plane that does not have a positive restraint no matter what size it is. I am sure he has learned and I hope this sends a message to all.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:32 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

I started my Moki 2.10 once and forgot to put it in the restraint before hand. It started up at idle luckily, and didn't move. That freaked me out pretty bad. After that the plane goes in the restraint any time I'm at the field. Right after the flight it goes right into the retraint. it's a routine now. It can happen to anyone if they get careless. I know that first hand, no pun intended.

One thing I like about my DA 50, there's never a time that I need to go to full throttle during the priming/choke process. It's always 1/8th throttle. So that keeps it from starting at WOT. The Moki requires a full throttle prime.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:13 PM
tIANci

Don' we switch off the glow when we prime an engine? At my field everyone helps out when someone is going to start a large plane.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:35 PM
itspuddingtime00

The closest I've gotten was with my Saito 180 when I was trying to break it in. I didn't have a spinner on it becuase I was just planning on running it in my yard. It kicked back hard on the first flip and it the brand new sharp APC 16x10 cuaght me. Good thing I was wearing a leather glove, and just got a bad bruise. I made a nice long chicken stick out of an old broomhandle that works great. I'd rather see nicks and cuts on a broomhandle then my hand.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:13 PM
NCIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish to say to all of you out there that have been prop bitten that I'm really sorry this happened to you. I'm a little sick to my stomach right now from the pictures. I have been to complacent to this point and thought this will never happen to me. You guys just opened my eyes wide!!! I am going to be more cautious every time I'm anywhere near a prop and when I'm starting mine I think I'm going to wear leather gloves. I know that I'm also going to dull the leading edge now when I'm balancing. If that happened to me I'd puke right there. Then take medical action if I was still conscious. The sight of blood makes me sick. I was a Police Officer in Houston Tx. for 20 years and saw much worse than this by far. I was fine then but now since I retired the toughness has gone away when I just see blood I'm done. I hope you all healed completely.

Gibbs
Old 10-12-2006, 08:25 PM
marzo91
My Feedback: (57)

Most of us have seen this picture, but it's worth showing it again. This was a Brison 3.2 gasser turning a wood prop at 7000 rpm. The prop splintered to toothpicks. I won't bore you with the story again, but here's the pic.
Attached Images  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.