Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

What did we all think of Sandown??

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

What did we all think of Sandown??

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 06:44 AM
wilkigmc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What did we all think of Sandown??

The only trouble I had with the formation elevator with the Capiches was that my funfly wing doesn't come down as quickly as the aero wing. Still, got about 7 flights in with it and took it home in one piece.
Old 05-27-2004, 06:58 AM
vease

Luke,

Most of the shows are open so I can fly further out than the others to get free airspace leaving the close in bit free for you. Sandown is a problem as you say because of the railings and buildings beyond them. We also had more than usual so it was a bit hectic. Only Gary didn't survive and that wasn't a mid air either. We all know you are there so it aint a problem

Hopefully someone got a good shot of the formation flying from PT and Capiche slot.
Old 05-27-2004, 07:58 AM
MarkNovack
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, sorry to hear that your flagship show was not the same as in the past. I have only heard good things about previous years. It makes me wonder whether or not things will be going into a small slump.

Market saturation, over zealous marketing, too many new airplanes everyday...these tend to flood and fill the market. As things reach a plateau, in airplanes and flying (lots of new stuff but just a variation on yesterday's theme), the "must see" and "totally new" and "boulverser of modeling" no longer are what they are billed as being. Everyday a new airplane claiming to be the "best of all" graces the magazines and it is getting old quickly. I already see a calming of the market and people seem to be desiring now to settle down the wallet and start spending time with their friends flying yesterday's airplanes that are really just as good as the latest. 3D is now fairly common, nothing so new as to wow the seasoned spectator unless performed by the best of the best with great precision. Anyway, that is my take on the slight downturn of events. Give it a little time. People will turn away from the dime store toys for a while, then the top end stuff will start to refine and sell again, then the dime store stuff will taylor itself to giving the public a cheaper version and people will once again go crazy, needing the latest and greatest and once again the trade shows will be packed end to end with booths and peddlers. What is the cycle? I'd guess between three and five years.

Mark
Old 05-27-2004, 12:14 PM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

Gregg i was VERY impressed with that flying. the fast aeros made an impression on me and i realized that maybe when I'm aeroing with the Capiche I'm trying to do it all to slow, but then i don't have a 91 up front and i don't think the Capiche would survive at those speeds anyway
those flicks are something else, only my little 15 ever came close to that, unfortunately when i pointed them out to my GF you stopped doing the really mental ones lol
burning, ummmmm my heads only just stopped hurting..
wonder if I've got an uncropped pic with your plane in it... yep, yours and Lukes together, now we can all see what his frog is up to
but nice flying and nice plane. what you doing this summer? wanna visit our show this year?

also liked the formation stuff from the Flair team?? the big yak and two extras. even when one got lost and went the other way lol

i really should have taken my FF wing and had some fun after hours, but everyone naffed off [&o]

one big thing i did notice this year was the lack of a star plane....

previous years it's been the Pico jet, then Twin jet and Micro jet, last year the Capiche, everyone had one under their arm. what did they have this year? not much.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30501.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	136974  
Old 05-27-2004, 01:22 PM
vease

Phil,

cheers again for noticing. The spin doctor will do it slow as well. Not as slow as a capiche, but slow. However my engine's bottom end was very rich so would cut on tick over, as happened in the first flight on Sunday. soooooo I had to keep the revs up before then, which does make it very flicky as you saw. They do fly very smooth and the 91 on song is great in it. It's my new one for this year. The pic you took shows my last year one too which was there as a spare.

So tell me about this show of yours. When and where?
Old 05-27-2004, 01:41 PM
vease

Phil

I've just noticed when your event is and unfortunatly it clashes with the Hastings show so I won't be able to make it, which is a real shame.

Sorry
Old 05-27-2004, 02:37 PM
Rhilluk

I thought Sandown was pretty cool, first time I've been, ALi amazed me with what he did with that Cap, anyone know how big, what make and engine, loved the sound of it too.
Loved his turbine Heli too, till it hit the ground. Anyone know what happened there.
Got a nice C50 for my Smaragd too.
Old 05-27-2004, 05:03 PM
The boys Back

Hi Greg, i used to do the Pete Tindal free for all, but it was a mess, thought i had got away from that then the Capishe slots started getting that way so i butted out of the C50 slots and just flew the C 140 electric which was hard enough with that heli fizzing around. You start a move then have to abort it half way because you know you are going to meet in the middle!!

Nice flying though, I closed my eyes once when you did a mach 5 pass only a foot from the tote board!! (big balls!!)

Dave
Old 05-28-2004, 03:37 AM
vease

Cheers Dave,

I think I know the pass you are talking about!! My dad was getting very nervous each flight but that one caused kim to go quiet and then produce some foul language in my ear.

Thankfully I got away with it!! W&W and Hastings should be a lot easier.

See you at Bickley next Weekend. Don't forget to book!!!!
Old 05-28-2004, 11:58 AM
Cactus.

Hastings, bah humbug[&o]
Old 05-30-2004, 01:49 PM
mikey-3d

sandown was cool this year,best flying ive done there,we did a bit off formation flying in pete tindal slot which was not to bad,should sort somthing for wings and wheels,maybe a schedule
Old 05-31-2004, 07:26 AM
3DStein

Sounds like a good weekend, shame I wasn't there.

Should hopefully get my C140 done for the next show.

Gonna have to get some work done though.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:06 PM
Dennismate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In a word: - 'Rubbish'

I've been going to Sandown for years and remember when it used to be on 3 levels, this year it was full of stalls selling cheap tools, it was more like a car boot fair than a model show. I used to look forward to this show and this used to be my big spend-up show, nothing worth buying and no cheaper than any other day of the week. Still managed to spend a small fortune though, bought around of coffee's and a bacon roll each.

My last year for definate. [&o]
Old 05-27-2005, 02:19 PM
wot4dave

I totally agree with you dennismate, It was RUBBISH!!!!!!!! And expensive. I've been going to Sandown for the last 8 years and this was definitely the worst. I was sitting in the bar at lunch time drinking my £3 pound bottle of beer (YES £3 POUNDS, COULDN'T AFFORD FOOD AS WELL) watching a steady stream of people leaving. You don't pay £9.50 to watch a show and leave at lunch time if it's good. This was Sunday so don't blame the cup final.

Roll on Wings and Wheels!!!!!!!!!!! That's a real show.
Old 05-27-2005, 06:18 PM
vease

Wot4Dave

Look at the date of the post you agreed with???

Don't say much for Sandown does it!!
Old 05-28-2005, 06:35 AM
J.R uk

I liked sandown was there on Saturday i think all the flyers done good considering the wind, have flown there a few years back and them turbulent are not very forgiven lol, liked the look of the C90 and the yt katana would make a nice home for my 110 miss bmfa asked me out but i turned her down he he dam she was hot
Old 05-28-2005, 08:21 AM
Angus Balfour

Ashame there are so many negative views on this years Sandown. As I said on another forum it seems that Sandown has been failing to attract the Christophes and Curtis Youngbloods these last few years. Plus is it appears that Sandown being less and less advertised hence less and less of the public are bothering to go.

Basically they need to promote it far better and get CPLR back.

Angus
Old 05-28-2005, 08:33 AM
3dUkidding!

I know I'm going to be shot down in flames for this but I feel it needs to said.

I did enjoy myself and thought some of the flying was good I did however think it lacked in variety. I understand that a rolling harrier is difficult to do but once you have the timing sorted it isnt that hard. The likes of Cristophe and Hanno pretner are greatly missed for the skilled flying as you could never predict what was going to happen next. After all Hanno did do the first knife edge spin (Hanno screw).
The only flying that gave me a feel of wow was Ali's gorgeous Hawk and the young lad with the heli (I think he was 17) he manged to do the most stable prolonged chaos I have seen I'm sure well be seing him at the 3d masters some time soon!?!?!?

Ali's Hawk was the most realistic jet flight I have seen super smooth and the whole flight seemed to have presence in the air with precision and had the magic essence that a well displayed pretty model deserves. If you get to read this Ali thankyou for the best flying of the day.

Come on though guys mix up your freestyle!! show us you raw skill with a beautiful 1 roll loop followed by a rolling circle with opposite snaps in it INSPIRE us to go try this at home!

I remeber the first time I went to this show I spent the next 3 months practicing and trying the manouvers that I saw ... this year I have only been inspired to buy a jet ... like that could ever happen .... maybe if I win the lottery I could go for one and try to perfect the presence that Ali managed.

... the deals .....WHAT deals .... this always used to be the show you started the year with ... not now!!! It seemed the only stands prepared to do a Sandown deal and give you the feeling that you caught a bargain was Inwoods and Overlander. As others have said this is now not a show for the punters to get deals ... just a place for the big mail order companies to sell at there normal prices and the big traders to show off there stands!

So all in all I am dissapointed and sad that this show that used to be THE PLACE to go to be inspired and catch a deal has not given me value for money.

Heres a thought Do you think the ARTF market has alot to answer for? I only found a couple of stands selling kits for the real die hard modeler/kit builder?
Old 05-28-2005, 09:52 AM
Cactus.

Come on though guys mix up your freestyle!! show us you raw skill with a beautiful 1 roll loop followed by a rolling circle with opposite snaps in it INSPIRE us to go try this at home!
you fly in that wind.
then again. apart from Ails hawk and Dean's flying i didn't really boter watching anything.

theres a much better chat on this at *************.
Old 05-28-2005, 10:36 AM
J.R uk

Anyone hear flying at the hastings show?
Old 05-28-2005, 12:21 PM
mikey-3d

ill be at hastings with c140 hey 3d who you kidding
Old 05-28-2005, 01:43 PM
J.R uk

Cool hopefully ill be flying if i can get a slot [8D]
Old 05-29-2005, 12:50 AM
3Demon

3dukidding,
(Ali here) Thanks a lot for your comments. Greatly appreciated. I have been reading the posts on all forums ref sandown, and have my own ideas about some of the stuff.
I agree 100% that it would be good to have some the big names back, but lets be honest what more do you think they will bring to this show flying wise. I would put money on it that a big name like Curtis would not do that much more than those two young lads with their 3d helis, and the fact they were both juniors who had not been flying for long made it more impressive for me, and I am not even a heli fan. Yes a big name like CPLR or Chip Hyde would be good, but again I would like to see how much more they could do given the circumstances. I know they are both world class pilots and far better than I ever will be. But I dont think this would shine given the sandown environment. Do Any of you remember Marco Bennicasa being paid to fly at Sandown. I do, and it certainly didnt look like the bennicasa that I have seen do so well at F-3a events in Europe and the TOC.
3D flying has progressed such a long way and so many people are at the same sort of level now that it becomes hard to see shining pilot anymore. A few years ago somebody that could prop hang or continuous torque roll was a star. Now every one is doing it and every one has seen it. The same applies to a rolling harrier. I watched young Nath bring his EF Yak down on the matt in a torque roll. No real acknowledgment from the crowd. Now I have flown one of these in a 5 MPH wind and I didnt like it, so what he was doing in a 25 mph shear was the nuts, but because the public had already seen it, there was nothing.
If you go back to the prettner days and really watch the flying I think you will find it is really not that amazing. At the time it was the nuts because no one was doing it, and most people had never seen it. The same applies to CPLR. But now you can have a guy who has been flying less than a year performing all the same tricks. All of which the public have seen countless times at shows or on the net.
Basically I think the barr is always on the up and the higher it gets the harder it becomes to impress. I certainly get this feeling with 3d flying, and this may explain why I am going in different directions with my show models this year.
I also think this lack of wow applies to the show itself. In it's heyday Sandown was the premier UK show. It was the place to see now products from all the suppliers, and it stood out a long way from any of the others shows on at the time. Now there is a trade show in the Uk every weekend throughout the summer. These are scattered all round the country, and over the years have got better and better. Now add the fact that most of the modeling public are on the net and can see new products, downloads, flying videos etc etc. It might explain why Sandown has lost some of it's wow. I still think it is a good show and would attend regardless. But at the same time I dont think it will ever be as good as what people remember it. But this is often the case with a lot of things in life.
Old 05-29-2005, 04:53 AM
Luke 3D returns

Ditto!
Old 05-29-2005, 05:42 AM
3DManic

well said Ali.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.