Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Quique's 72" Yak 54

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Quique's 72" Yak 54

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 08:59 AM
Spaceclam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Quique's 72" Yak 54

let us know when you can compare them.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:19 AM
TailTouch
My Feedback: (54)

He is right...
The full scale Yak is a mid-wing plane like the Edge 540 whereas Quique's Yak is modeled after his 40% TOC Yak which has a more low wing configuration like the Extra 300.

In fact, some people have referred to his plane as the "Yakstra" since it's almost a hybrid of a Yak & Extra...

ORIGINAL: awat65

I now have both of them. They are built differently. Both are very well built ARFS. Quique's Yak is less scale. They say it is semi-scale while the Extreme flights Yak is much more scale. I am now finishing up the Extreme flight Yak and should test fly it in a week or so. I will start building the other Yak after the Extreme one.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37855.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	141010  
Old 06-08-2004, 07:18 PM
seanychen
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: jatt5abdaa

He is right...
The full scale Yak is a mid-wing plane like the Edge 540 whereas Quique's Yak is modeled after his 40% TOC Yak which has a more low wing configuration like the Extra 300.

In fact, some people have referred to his plane as the "Yakstra" since it's almost a hybrid of a Yak & Extra...

ORIGINAL: awat65

I now have both of them. They are built differently. Both are very well built ARFS. Quique's Yak is less scale. They say it is semi-scale while the Extreme flights Yak is much more scale. I am now finishing up the Extreme flight Yak and should test fly it in a week or so. I will start building the other Yak after the Extreme one.
According to pictures in post #14, the Quique Yak looks mid-wing to me. If you draw an incidence line from TE to LE, and extend this line, it will go right through the middle of the white cowl grill, which should be inline w/ the thrust line.
Old 06-08-2004, 07:24 PM
Frankenthumb
My Feedback: (2)

I saw the same thing. And I don't think that Extreme F;ight purports that their YAK is a scale model. In my experience most of the aerobatic planes available on the market are Semi scale. Take any of the Caps that you see at the feild. If they were truly scale, with scale airfoils they'd be a real CHORE to fly.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:27 PM
Quique Somenzini

Hi everybody I am Quique. Our Yak is a scale down from the Yak 54 that I flew at TOC and Don Lowe Masters. That Yak was under the TOC rules 10% + / - from scale. Then we scale down the TOC Yak54 to make the 72". Now when you scale down or up an airplane few things needs to be change for best performance, one of them I made the tail moment a bit longer than the TOC Yak54. The reason is, our Yak has been designed to perform as best as possible both, precision and 3D aerobatic that is a big compromise, the airplane is capable to do both aerobatics very well. My Yak54 is almost 1,000 square inches, 72" wing span and 70" long. Mine weights with YS1.40 sport, 8411SA servos, Ni Cad 1,400 mha 4.8V 10.95 lbs, so to make clear 11lbs. I am using at the present with best results and APC 18x6W and it is pulling the airplane very nicely. We have a good assembly manual that includes 71 pictures and I made a flying manual which I think it is very complete. The airplane comes with all accesories need it. The hatch and the canopy is one piece all plastic and the hatch it is painted, so cowl and hatch colors match very well. A small tab in the front area of the hatch and two screw in the back of the canopy holds all this piece. So the access to the airplane is plenty. Elev. servos are two one for each half and mount side fuse. Rudder pull/pull cable. Sorry for my English I am trying my best. I am leaving for a trip (2 weeks). Take care and I hope I help you some.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:58 PM
Frankenthumb

Thanks for the information Quique!! That's exactly what I wanted to know.

If I may also add a comment, I have very much enjoyed reading your "How-to" articles in Model Airplane News. The last one (about doing better rolling circles and loops) has been very helpful to me and I'm doing them much smoother now. Thank you! I hope to see more of those articles in the future.

Also, your English is just fine!
Old 06-08-2004, 10:08 PM
Spaceclam

I agree. Quique, your yak looks like quite the plane. currently i have an extreme flight yak, but at some point i may give yours a try. (see, i work off only allowance so saving up for something that requires such expensive parts is a real chore) but they are probably pretty comprable. both your wingspan and the fuse length on your yak are only 4 inches larger than the extreme flight yak. I will bet that they are very comprable. That says a lot! I am sure though, if it is good enough for you, it is by far good enough for the rest of us. somebody should do a compare/contrast thing between them. i am very interested. Nice lookin Yak by the way.
Old 06-09-2004, 07:26 AM
going vert
My Feedback: (11)

I've heard about Quique's attention to detail when designing planes - it's unsurpassed - at least that's what I hear. I might sell my Cap X for the Yak. It's lighter and has more wing area - I can only assume it flies better than the Cap X...
Old 06-09-2004, 09:10 AM
Spaceclam

even with the cap being redesigned...it's still a cap.
Old 06-09-2004, 10:26 AM
deweyd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was at Joe Nall 2003 .Quique had the 72 inche YAK there then, but he didn't fly it there. this year he flew the plane a few times and it was awsome. So Quique has been flying this plane for a year before he even released it,and I'm sure it is alot of flight between that time. The setup manual that he includes in the kit, tells you every thing about his plane ,and exactly the way he has the plane setup.
Old 06-09-2004, 11:01 AM
Frankenthumb

ORIGINAL: Spaceclam

even with the cap being redesigned...it's still a cap.

No it isn't, it's "cap like", or "capish". You can't have it both ways, it's either scale or it's not. There's nothing wrong with semi scale, in fact tweaking the parameters of the real plane makes our smaller versions fly better. As Quique stated, this is a model of his model of a full scale Yak. So I guess we could say that it's a semi scale model of his model, and I, for one, am perfectly OK with that.
Old 06-14-2004, 05:46 PM
sport10

I too have been keeping an eye on this plane. I looks to be a great place to stick that good running OS 1.60FX I have laying around. Quique, I am hoping to see you fly at the electric flyin in Andersonville, GA this weekend.
Old 06-14-2004, 05:59 PM
Easy does it
Banned

I have been following the info on the yak and I also saw one at the local hobby store I am really interested,do you think I could use my saito 180 in this plane and not have any problems
Old 06-15-2004, 10:43 PM
Frankenthumb

Hey deweyd:

How's that Yak coming along? Have you finished/flown it yet? Give us an update!!!
Old 06-15-2004, 10:56 PM
deweyd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Franken
the plane is coming along. I put the cowling on today and all the servo's in. next is setting up the controls. I fly for a living, and they had me on the road for a week so I could finnish the plane..I 'll fly this weekend. I'm planning on going to the Shelby flyin this weekend in ohio, and the plane should be there. deweyd
Old 06-15-2004, 10:59 PM
saddler
My Feedback: (93)

Just finished building 2 of Quique's 72" Yak's. It is probably the most incredible ARF i have ever seen. It goes together absolutely flawless and actually weighs what he says it will. 10.5lbs ready to fly with a YS 1.40. The quality is excellent and the fit and finish is the best i have ever seen in an ARF. The instructions are the most comprehensive and acurate instructions i have ever seen. I am convinced a monkey could put it together. Hoped to fly it today but the weather just didn't cooperate....maybe tomorrow! Anyway, i would highly recommend it.
Old 06-15-2004, 11:44 PM
Frankenthumb

Thanks for the update!

I wonder if either of you guys would mind posting a couple of pics of the inside of the fuse for me? I'd like to get idea of wht the structure is like.

Any pics would be appreciated!

Also (OK, I'm being a pest now) if anybody has flown this plane, what are your impressions? And what are you comparing it to? What I mean by that is, is this your first big aerobat? Or do you usually fly bigger planes? Do you usually like to fly 3D? IMAC? Sport? Gassers?

Thanks !
Old 06-16-2004, 09:16 AM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Has anyone seen any video of this flying?
Old 06-16-2004, 10:37 PM
squirt

How many servo's does this plane take?
Old 06-16-2004, 10:45 PM
Frankenthumb

From what I understand it's a 6 servo plane.

1 ea elevator half
1 rudder
1 ea aileron
1 throttle.

I haven't seen the instructions yet, but I think that Quique recomends 90+ oz servos for all controls, but I don't know why you couldn't use 60 oz for ele's and ailerons. I plan to use Hitec 5625's all around (except throttle, obviously).
Old 06-16-2004, 11:25 PM
Dave A
My Feedback: (1)

I saw Quique fly it Sunday at XFC (after it was over). From a distance I thought it was his 37%er. Once I got up to the flight line I saw it was the ARF. He was doing everything he does with his big one. Then he pulled it into a hover, walked around it, and waved to the crowd. The wind was 10 - 15 MPH.

I was so amazed I bought one Monday. This is exactly the plane I've been waiting for. Quique has a YS 140 sport with an APC 18x6W and JR 8411sa's. With the way I saw it fly, I'm going with the same equipment.

All I have to do now is learn to fly like him!

Dave
Old 06-16-2004, 11:49 PM
Frankenthumb

Hey, no problem learning to fly like Quique: apparently the manual has a really good set-up and flying section!
Old 06-17-2004, 04:54 PM
Eric.Henderson

My Yak arrived today and I had it unwrapped long before I remembered to go back and close my front door. (Made the A/C work overtime for a while).

All the reports above are right on. This is a very good looking ARF. I really liked the pre-made cowl/top deck. I saw lots of places where the craftsmanship was simply first class.

Will be building this one as soon as I get back from Buffalo :-)

Regards,

Eric.
Old 06-17-2004, 04:59 PM
robert

For Europeans, it looks like sebastiano silvestri is dealing the ARTF's. I have to admitt, at $400 euros, their a mighty tempting!
www.sebart.it
Old 06-17-2004, 05:17 PM
Kanain
My Feedback: (1)

Dewey,

Did I see you fly at the Columbus Challenge? I was the IAC guy there over the weekend that helped judge the freestyle. I fly out of Lorain County Reginal.

My 33% Laser is almost completed and I am preparing to cut templates for my backup / possibly primary plane. The second is going to be a built up wing and a more stick fuse construction.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.