Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

YS CLUB

Old 01-12-2007, 10:42 PM
JPal101
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: YS CLUB

Thanks for the info. But, I thought I read that the idle had to be 2000 rpms none higher
Old 01-13-2007, 09:40 AM
AcroJo
My Feedback: (1)

Thats basicly what I was trying to convey. Depending on all relevant factors, ie, seasoned or well seated engine, good 'smooth' idle, etc. There is no reason why it will not idle reliably at lower settings. With the weight of the APC 16/6, mine will idle very low, although its been a long time since I read the RPM's and believe that the only place I documented my findings were here, somewhere in this thread. Joe
Old 01-13-2007, 03:05 PM
tukkus
My Feedback: (2)

I've had my 110 as low as 1300 rpm's....I let it stay that way for about 2 minutes, I went WOT with no hesitation.... i tried for 1100 but it died after about 10 seconds...that was with CP 30% and an APC 16x6

i think for the first gallon or so it was idling at 2400 and now it idles at 2000 ... i think i have about 4-5 gallons through mine now
Old 01-14-2007, 08:49 PM
dbateman
My Feedback: (31)

I just joined the YS Club with the purchase of the YS 140- Sport. It will go in my KMP ME-109. I've been told the engines can be hard to set up. What can you guys tell me about the fuel system and tank. The only other 4-stroke i have run is the Saito 125 so i have a benchmark to judge the YS. Thanks Doug
Old 01-14-2007, 09:20 PM
Basement Troll
My Feedback: (3)

Doug if you follow the directions carefully including the filters and check valve in the plumbing they are not usually very difficult. Go to ysperformance.com and read their starting/running instructions as well. You won't likely have problems if you do what they recommend. I have 6 YS engines and I have only ever had trouble with one. It was a 110 which I sent in for service when it was brand new as it wouldn't run rich enough even with the needle valve way out. They fixed it and sent it back and it has run great like the rest ever since. Make sure you get some after run oil from YS Performance as well because the other oils destroy the diphrams. I have a couple of Saitos and they're good too but the YS engines' power to weight is very hard to beat.
Don
Old 01-25-2007, 01:12 PM
secret_squirrel

All,

I have an old Super Tigre 75 that a friend at my local flying field handed me as a gift. It has a YS carb and I have never owned an engine with a YS carb. For fun the other night I mounted it to one of planes to see if it even cranked. I never expected much of the engine but had some spare time. To my surprise it started and idled pretty good. The needle assemble on the carb looks pretty familar except at the bottom of the needle valve there is a large metel wheel (approximately 1/2 in diameter). I am guessing this is the low end adjustment but it doesn't seem to do much.

After I started the engine and adjusted the high end, I ran it up. It runs up nice but then at full power the engine suddenly cuts out. It cuts out very quickly after reaching top speed. No matter what I do to the high end adjustment it has no effect.

Any thouhts.

TIA,
Dan
Old 02-02-2007, 03:24 PM
Basement Troll
My Feedback: (3)

Well I thought I was about to experience the 2 year curse of my 63s. This engine has been rock solid since the day I got it and I couldn't beieve I was having trouble. It would run up and then quit suddenly. It even quit while at mid throttle. I brought it home and started with fuel supply. Everything checked out ok. I took the engine off the plane and took the back end off the engine to look for damage. Everything looked good. In fact I thought there might be a bit of rust but it was very clean. (I guess faithful use of Ultra Oil does work.) I took the cover off the cam and all was well. I re-mounted the engine on the plane and flipped it over a couple of times and found my problem. I thought I had tightened the prop well but in fact the wood prop had compressed and I had run out of thread. The prop was loose.[&:] I put a second washer on and now everything in world is right again. Great engines......
Don
Old 02-02-2007, 05:20 PM
dbateman
My Feedback: (31)

Brand new YS 140 for sale w/ pattern header. See classifieds...... Doug
Old 02-02-2007, 06:06 PM
olstoney
My Feedback: (19)

Hi Guys,
Just FYI, Effective 2/01/07 Dave Shadel is no longer the YS technical representative in the U.S. Not sure why or what happened, but IMHO this is a great loss to the YS community. Not sure if Dave's company is still the YS importer into the U.S., but his company Performance Specialties is still alive and well. I'm planing to call Dave the beginning of next week. If he is forthcoming with any further information and with his permission it will be posted.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:14 AM
suitcase

I have replaced my G26 on my JBB with a new 110. I never could get it to run properly so sent it back. The closest I got to an answer from them on the phone was something about gaskets leaking. I didn't talk to Richard though. When I got it back I set it to fac specs and wrestled with it for several tanks till I finally said the heck with it and went ahead and flew it. I had to keep trimming back the throttle to get it slow enough to land but it never died. When it finished the roll out I turned to come back to the pits and it died. I haven't flown or run it since. I disconnected the fuel lines and used some UO on it. I have another 110 on a Mayhem that after sending it back (new) runs like a watch. I never did anything to it when I got it back but mount it and run it, never touched anything, I'm afraid to.

I still don't quite understand how to set it up I guess. I've read everything ever written that I could find and they still baffle me. If you actually set the idle with the trim, then what is the low speed needle for and what does it do? Starting and setting the top end is no problem. I understand the regulator and seem to be able to get it to transition ok then it wont idle then it wont transition, then it dies and on and on. I don't wont to send it back again, shouldn't have to. I'll wait for it to warm up some and try again. What I need to do is find a club where someone flies YS' and make a visit.
Old 02-03-2007, 05:47 PM
tukkus
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: suitcase

I still don't quite understand how to set it up I guess. I've read everything ever written that I could find and they still baffle me. If you actually set the idle with the trim, then what is the low speed needle for and what does it do? Starting and setting the top end is no problem. I understand the regulator and seem to be able to get it to transition ok then it wont idle then it wont transition, then it dies and on and on. I don't wont to send it back again, shouldn't have to. I'll wait for it to warm up some and try again. What I need to do is find a club where someone flies YS' and make a visit.
Just because you sent it to the shop and they got it running doesn't mean that you'll get it running the same way they had it. They use different fuel/props and are at a different altitude than you. Those settings they use do make a difference in how it's going to run for you and you should change them as needed. I sent my 110 in when i thought i had a problem( it dead sticked 6 times on landings) , when they sent it back the needles were the same and it still quit on landing. I realized that I had to open the regulator(1 1/4 turn) and then i had no more dead sticks. So even though they checked it over it didn't mean that it was ready to fly for my conditions.

If it quit when you were throttling down for a landing I would suggest opening the reg one full turn and see how that does...and don't be afraid to lean your HS/LS needles either if they are back at factory settings.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:18 PM
JPal101
My Feedback: (32)

Suitcase ( I don't know how to put a quote in the message)

The low speed needle does just that, it is there to adjust the correct amount of air and fuel mixture at idle. Which is about 2000 rpm. Try adjusting your regulator so that it is flush with the case, adjust your high end then adjust the low end with the needle. Start the engine and get the idle as close to 2000 as you can get it with the trim. Then listen to it. if it starts to speed up on its own it is too lean, if it starts to slow down it is too rich. Remember this needle is opposite than what most of us are used to, turning the needle out will lean the mixture and in will richen it. After you attain a good solid idle then lower it with the trim
Old 02-03-2007, 07:28 PM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

Flush with the case....Open the regulator 1 turn...It makes my head hurt.

Suitcase...

You have the same problems I had. The thing to do is this:
Set your regulator 3 turns open from fully closed.
Set your main jet at 1 3/4 turns open from fully closed.
Set your low speed jet 1 1/2 turns open from fully closed.

My guess it will run great right there. Your dead stick landings will go away and you can start to enjoy the YS power you so desire.

Almost all the 110s come with the regulator set at about 2 turns open. It's not enough to insure good idling. Flush is such a subjective term. I wish YS would post this info. I tried to find it until I was blue in the face. Through trial and error I arrived at the above settings. Many MANY trials and errors. I wish someone would have shared the info with me. All I ever heard was "you must be doing something wrong, my runs perfectly". Well, if you don't believe there's a problem look at your own situation and look at the support forum on this website. The support forum is loaded with the same problem. Loaded. Anyways, the above settings seem to be universal and work for everybody that will try them. Try it...you'll like it.

Thanks,
Barry
Old 02-03-2007, 10:41 PM
autoguns

ORIGINAL: AcroJo

ORIGINAL: autoguns
you still have that old UCD3D...JW
Hey J Dubya, hows things up north? That is an old pic. My fourth and final UCD bit it early this year with an inverted flat spin into the tree tops. Gone gas and electric since. Just can't seem to part with the YS engines just yet though. Joe
Joe,
Sorry I haven't been around for a loooooonnnnnggg time , I'v'e went back to my main hobby as my screen name inplys....everything is good and I do still have my planes..heck I still have a NIB 110 that I never mounted . I do need to spin a prop, if I can remember how...LOL...Anyhow, I hope all is good in your world....I'll try not to be such a strainger...Take care ....JW
Old 02-04-2007, 06:24 AM
olstoney
My Feedback: (19)

Hey J.W.,
Glad to see you are still around. Keep in touch bud .
Old 02-04-2007, 04:26 PM
bkfawcett

Great YS thread! But how many of you can tell how to connect the fuel lines without looking in the manual!? Can you find a manual? (try searching for one online....) I have the answer now, but had a difficult time finding photos and info as well as people that can tell me for sure. Ol' Jack at the flying field was the most help. Even 5 minutes on the phone with YS support (775-267-9252 last time I called....) and I still got it wrong. Also, make sure to use a check valve installed correctly going back to the tank, and use filters everywhere, and use a tank that can handle the pressure, and use YS 20/20 fuel, and, and, and.... Maybe this is all common knowledge, but in a world of mostly 2-stroke (and electric) and simple O.S. in/out plumbing, it seems to me that some of us need a little help to ensure that YS Performance stays in business. So here's my photo with some plumbing that works:

BTW, the engine WILL RUN when these lines are reversed, with plenty of pressure going back to the tank, but no fuel will go to the high speed needle. Advancing the throttle will push the fuel back into the tank...like it's supposed to when you get it backwards! Anyway, I'm very happy with this old 91AC and I plan to try a 110 as well.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:39 AM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

Here's a link to the YS website including the 110 and the operation manual. They give a very clear picture of how to hook up the lines.

http://www.yspartsandservice.com/parts_ys110fz.php

Hope this helps.
Thanks
Barry
Old 02-05-2007, 11:41 AM
bkfawcett

Yea! www.yspartsandservice.com works good! Thanks! 'Seems like www.ysperformance.com is hit or miss lately. Also, I was looking specifically for 91AC although the 110 manual is the same. Anyway, running great now, and have an old pattern plane to try.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:16 AM
Bob-143
My Feedback: (6)

Hi what would be the best speed prop for a YS 110
Old 02-06-2007, 04:17 PM
suitcase

Good to hear from you Barry. I've had so much trouble with my YS engines that I have a folder on my desktop with info on tuning. I just added your recommendations to them. I'll try it soon as weather permits. I'm still working on my F 40S. I changed my mind on the OS 61 and got a new Saito 82. I'm having issues making the change since I already had the OS mounted and the firewall all glassed in. On my YS engines I went ahead and used two colors of tubing to keep it all straight. The above post is correctly plumbed. The check goes in the line to the tank with the little arrow pointing to the tank.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:55 PM
autoguns

ORIGINAL: Bob-143

Hi what would be the best speed prop for a YS 110
Pending on the airframe...I have run a 13x13 APC on the stand , It was about all it wanted to pull " new motor runnig rich". with that prop it pulled my sawhourse moumted engine test stand accross the drive way so I jumped on it stopping it. The wind wasa wippin and blew my hat off exposing my bald head to the world....So be careful....JW
Old 02-08-2007, 12:00 AM
autoguns

Please, Be CAREFUL With that set up "No Lock nut & plastic spinner" can spell disaster in a BIG WAY...JW

ORIGINAL: bkfawcett

Great YS thread! But how many of you can tell how to connect the fuel lines without looking in the manual!? Can you find a manual? (try searching for one online....) I have the answer now, but had a difficult time finding photos and info as well as people that can tell me for sure. Ol' Jack at the flying field was the most help. Even 5 minutes on the phone with YS support (775-267-9252 last time I called....) and I still got it wrong. Also, make sure to use a check valve installed correctly going back to the tank, and use filters everywhere, and use a tank that can handle the pressure, and use YS 20/20 fuel, and, and, and.... Maybe this is all common knowledge, but in a world of mostly 2-stroke (and electric) and simple O.S. in/out plumbing, it seems to me that some of us need a little help to ensure that YS Performance stays in business. So here's my photo with some plumbing that works:

BTW, the engine WILL RUN when these lines are reversed, with plenty of pressure going back to the tank, but no fuel will go to the high speed needle. Advancing the throttle will push the fuel back into the tank...like it's supposed to when you get it backwards! Anyway, I'm very happy with this old 91AC and I plan to try a 110 as well.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:06 AM
autoguns

Will do,
I've been thinking of gettin back into it because I still have most all my planes sittin around...JW

ORIGINAL: olstoney

Hey J.W.,
Glad to see you are still around. Keep in touch bud .
Old 02-08-2007, 12:37 AM
Bob-143
My Feedback: (6)

Thanks Autoguns

The YS 110 is going in a GP Little Toni
Old 02-08-2007, 11:30 AM
autoguns

Bob,
I just pulled out the prop and its a APC 13.5x12.5 not a 13x13 ...On the GP LT you may want to take into consideration the size of the spinner supplied with it as It (the spinner)will cover alot of the props chord near the hub..also with a extreme pitch prop you may need to mod the spinner as well....give it a try let me know how it works ...I'll needto know because I have a LT with a 110 also, only mines still in the box...LOL JW

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.