Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

inverted flat spin

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

inverted flat spin

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2003, 04:27 AM
fredo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default inverted flat spin

Dear fellow modellers.
I've been reading these interesting articles about flat spins etc...
Could anyone tell me how do you actualy perform inverted flat spin ??

Old 07-06-2003, 09:46 AM
FHHuber
Banned

Flat spin.. enter a normal spin... slowly reverse ailerons and add power. If the CG is back far enough (and the plane design allows) the spin will flatten. Some will flatten enough that hte nose goes up, and you can actually CLIMB in the spin.

Inverted flat spin... just start out inverted, reduce power, get it to enter a spin while upside down, and then same as above.

With practice, you can learn to enter the flat spin from a snap roll in a vertical climb.

BTW... practice from WAY up... some planes have a bit of trouble getting out of a flat spin... reduce power full down (or up if inverted) and opposite rudder... flaps if you got em. use EVERYTHING you got to convert back to a normal spin... then you can recover.

If the engine dies while in a flat spin and you are low (and its a plane that has problems recovering from flat spins)... keep it in the flat spin, the impact is les than with a standard spin. I've seen the impact in this type crash be small enough... just broke the prop.
Old 07-06-2003, 10:08 AM
southern_touch99

In an upright flat spin follow hubers directions and once it is flat add some down stick. This tightens it up and for some reason can actually make it climb??

The easiest way to get a plane to do an INVERTED flat spin is to "blender" the aircraft into the flat spin. Start up WAY high, cut the power push the nose straight down, hold full left aileron, after 2 or 3 rotations, suddenly add full left rudder and full down elevator, hold all of this for a few sec. and watch to see what it does. If you do this right it should be a series of rolls into a blur into a inverted flat spin (that all but stops). This manuver is easier to do with airplanes like the edge 540, extra 330, cap 232 and so on.
Old 07-06-2003, 10:34 AM
acropilot_ty

Remember that "opposite aileron" while inverted will be in the same direction as the rudder. If you enter the spin with right rudder then right aileron will be opposite. Also the direction you spin has a small effect on models due to gyroscopics, for an upright flat spin with left rudder and you'll get a little "flatter" spin... inverted flat use right rudder. On full size the direction of spin is the only way you get the spin flat at all... if you spin upright to the right and add power the nose will actually drop and the spin will rotate faster.
Old 07-07-2003, 05:46 AM
fredo

Thanks guys I think I've got the idea. You also mention a "blender"... whith this particular maneuver ,
do you actualy leave the power off all the time or you add power as you start employing rudder with
elevator? I think that might turn out to be quite violent. I'm flying CAP 232 (73" with OS 160FX) love
the plane does anything I'm capable of. I love learning new stuff so, mastering flat spins is my next
thing to learn. Can't wait to get to the field. I don't think I'll have many problems with the upright one .
Somehow I think it will be trickier to enter inverted one . Any tips?? Would 3D rates make it any better??
You guys are great help to me. Thanks to this forum my learning is speeding up.
Old 07-07-2003, 10:30 AM
southern_touch99

First of all the CAP should be very capable of this manuver, and you are right it is a violent maneuver. It is also known as the wing tester. If there is a weak spot in the wing you might just find it. To anwser your question about power. Yes, some power can be added to make it even faster but its not imparitive. On high rates the airplane should do it fine at a click or two above idle (to keep the motor running). You also asked about high rates in a regular flat spin and the anwser is definatly the higher rates can make for a flatter spin. If you have ever looked at the throw on Quiques Yak you will notice that he has between 65-75 degrees of deflection in his elevator, and at the 2002 TOC you see the result of that. A flat spin that lost no altitude and stayed so still that smoke was boiling up over the leading edge, now thats not saying that your cap will do that (b/c you dont have 8000 dollars invested in it) but it will definatly make it better.
Old 07-07-2003, 01:23 PM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

A blender...

Start from approximately 500 feet or whatever your comfort zone is. Throttle back to idle and point the nose of your aircraft down, enter by going full aileron deflection right or left (doesnt matter). After a few spins quickly transition your sticks to the following... say you entered it in a left aileron spin, now input full down with your full left aileron and the rudder in the opposite direction. Your descent will come to a stop and is a REAL WING TESTER!

Inverted flat spins are a piece of cake...

Start again from a comfortable position and throttle back to idle. When at a near stall enter the following inputs (Ailerons: Full Left; Elevator: Full down; Rudder: Full Right)

sometimes in a spin your plane will spin out of a spin due to input of ailerons so while in one you can neutralize the ailerons to keep the spin flatter

Steven
Old 07-08-2003, 02:58 AM
fredo

Thanks fellows, fantastic! I'll let you know how I went. The manevour , as you describe
sounds quite easy to do probably after few experiments but I think recovery might be
trickier. That's the reason why I wanted to do inverted one first because I think you
can recover much easier. But I'm certainly going to learn both .Wish me luck and
thanks again.