Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

New YS110, keep UCD or move on?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

New YS110, keep UCD or move on?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2004, 05:16 AM
Hercmate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New YS110, keep UCD or move on?

I'v been flying a UCD with a YS91FZ over the summer and have been a little disappointed at its lacklustre performance. I've now sold the YS91FZ and bought a YS110.

Should I swop the 110 into the UCD and persevere with it, or go to a different airframe?

If a new airframes on the cards, I quite like the look of the Funtana 90. Is the 110 enough to make it sparkle?

Many thanks, Andy
Old 09-26-2004, 06:34 AM
MikeEast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: New YS110, keep UCD or move on?

Andy
I have had a few U CAN DOs and they are good but limited in what they can really do.. At 1st they were really hot, and they are still a great plane but as guys get better at this 3D thing it just doesnt quite get it done.. I can tell you that if I were in your position with a new YS 1.10 and an option to get a better airframe I would order an Extreme Flight 68" Yak. All the product reviews and comments from guys who have it say it is the ultimate 3D arf in its class as far as the construction and 3D/IMAC flying characteristics. One of the best ARFs ever from a quality standpoint according to reviews. Supposedly this thing performs like a 40% plane. What got my attention is that it is made for the YS 1.10.. go to www.extremeflightrc.com and checkout the video and you will see what I mean, if I can do with it what the video represents, which I think I can then Im sold... They are about $330
Old 09-26-2004, 06:44 AM
Hercmate

Ned,

I was afraid someone would say that about the EF Yak!

Shipping over to the UK is a fortune. And since the Funtana is stocked over here (albeit at almost double the price you pay in the US) its a much easier option. I've looked at the Yak and even emailed Chris at EF to get a quote which was a lot of money!!

Did you have a YS110 in your UCD?
Old 09-26-2004, 06:50 AM
MikeEast

Well, No I went from an OS .91 FS to a Saito 1.20 because a friend had a new one laying around and sold it to me for $150. But I fly pattern so I have a few YS engines and in my opinion kilo for kilo they are the best glow engines in the world. The YS 1.10 should outperform the Saito 1.20 because it is smaller, lighter and actually more powerful..
Old 09-26-2004, 07:54 AM
AcroJo
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Hercmate
Ned,
Did you have a YS110 in your UCD?

I will have to agree with BigNed as far as an option for this engine. The EF Yak is a very impressive candidate. For now, you have the engine and the UCD. Use it while you try to decide. I dropped in a YS110FZ about four gallons back and it has renewed my interest in the UCD greatly. I found it to be an entirely different flying experience. The 16/6 APC it will spin, enhances the performance, allowing it to bite right into a hover and really improved harriers. For some reason, the couple additional ounces up, from a Saito 100, improved handleing in my opinion. If you are looking to hang with your tail in the weeds, then you will appreciate the additional power for pulling out of a bad attitude. Check it out, you won't be sorry. Good luck, Joe
Old 09-26-2004, 08:47 AM
MikeEast

I will say that I totally agree about the additional weight in the nose. When I added the Saito 1.20 the added performance was exponential. I think that the wing loading with the recommended engines is just flat too low. The plane floats and bobbles a lot.. With the bigger engine not only do you get more power authority, but I swear the added mass gives the plane a tremendous 3D performance imporvement. I think its a valid argument that a 3D plane can be TOO light..
Old 09-26-2004, 09:08 AM
bentgear

I have the 110 on a Funtana 90 and its a blast. That said. the 110 is a direct drop in replacement for the 91. Put it in the UCD and try it. You are familiar with the plane and see what happens. It will at a minimum be a good place to break the engine in with low chance of engine damage due to a crash since you are already familiar with the plane. I have not had the pleasure to fly the EF Yak yet, but from all accounts it may be a better plane?

Ed M.
Old 09-26-2004, 09:27 AM
Luke 3D returns

Have you had a look at the Quique Yak hercmate? The YT international adrenaline also looks like a very good candidate for that engine.
Old 09-26-2004, 10:05 AM
ben beyer
My Feedback: (23)

Check out the RCUniverse review, I think you'll like the Funtana 90: http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=373

The only think I would do differently is put Robart Hinge Points on the ailerons, swap out the CA hinges on the elevator and rudder with Sig East Hinges and increase the number of CA hinges in both surfaces. Also, I'd use metal geared servos just because of the surface size.

Also as BigNed suggested, look at the Extreme Flight Yak: http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=353

I'd like to get one of these, but I'm getting a Wild Hare Edge so my money is spoken for unfortunately. And once again, I'd swap out CA hinges for Robart Hinge Points if you bought this.
Old 09-26-2004, 11:34 AM
AcroJo

ORIGINAL: ben beyer
I'd like to get one of these, but I'm getting a Wild Hare Edge so my money is spoken for unfortunately. And once again, I'd swap out CA hinges for Robart Hinge Points if you bought this.

Mmmmmmm, WILD HARE!!! Theres my dilema, would like nothing better than to drop this 110 into an EF Yak, but......... not sure if I want another nitro. I got $1150.00 into the UCD and its still a .60 size nitro burning mess. Don't get me wrong, love the UCD, hate the mess. Both the EF Yak and the wild Hare Extra LS are very high on my list. Hedging towards the WH with a gasser. All RC = $$$$$ so it might as well be spent on what you want and like. Sooner or later I have to get off this fence.
On the hinges, my preference goes with pinned hinges, they fit the existing slots, with the benfit of the wider pin and knuckle area. I just don't like the diameter of the hinge points, eats up too much wood on trailing edge stock. Just my opinion, but it seems to create week points. Joe
Old 09-30-2004, 03:21 AM
Hercmate

Well its all solved!!

No funtana 90s in the UK til next week so there was me feeling all depressed (money burning a big hole in the pocket) and out of the blue an email from EF saying they have a UK distributor! So I've now ordered an EF 68" Yak for the YS110!!

I know this is the right way to go, but I may buy an F90 just as a backup kit!!

And cumn thru, I know exactly what you mean about the mess, its a nightmare! It's my intention to go petrol next year either wildhare or comp arf if funds allow.
Old 09-30-2004, 04:36 PM
bri neasham

Hercmate

Where have you tried to get a Funtana 90? I placed a order with Inwoods on tuesday (28 sep)
and phoned them the next day just to check they actually had them in stock and was told they had arrived that very day! Should have mine tomorrow (Friday 1 Oct). BTW have also ordered a YS110 from Pro Build which should also arrive tomorrow. Can't wait !!!!

Regards

Brian
Old 09-30-2004, 06:43 PM
Hercmate

Brian,

I spoke to Inwoods on Monday or Tuesday and they said next week for the funtana. But now the EF YAk is here in the UK (in very limited numbers) I couldnt resist. I will however buy a Funtana 90 and stick it to one side!! YS110 is definitely the way to go, its an awesome engine!!

Let me know how you like it and I'll do likewise with the Yak....

Andy
Old 09-30-2004, 07:00 PM
Mudsurfer1234

ORIGINAL: Hercmate

Well its all solved!!

No funtana 90s in the UK til next week so there was me feeling all depressed (money burning a big hole in the pocket) and out of the blue an email from EF saying they have a UK distributor! So I've now ordered an EF 68" Yak for the YS110!!

I know this is the right way to go, but I may buy an F90 just as a backup kit!!

And cumn thru, I know exactly what you mean about the mess, its a nightmare! It's my intention to go petrol next year either wildhare or comp arf if funds allow.

For the gasser, why not get the 87" yak? or wait up for the 35%er
Old 10-01-2004, 04:41 PM
bri neasham

Hercmate

Received my Funtana and YS110 today, very impressed with the quality of both. Out of intrest who is importing the EF YAK into the UK? This is another model i am seriously thinking of buying.

BTW from your username and location are you in anyway connected with Lyneham? I spent a few years there myself

Regards

Brian
Old 10-01-2004, 06:05 PM
Hercmate

Brian,

there are maybe 10 EF yaks in the UK at this time so be quick! Phone Daniel on 020 8748 4343. He is EF's UK Distributor.

And yes I'm at Lyneham, I fly the K model Herc for a living!

Andy
Old 10-02-2004, 04:42 AM
bri neasham

Andy

I was once one of those scruffy UKMAMS types who was asleep down the back of your aeroplane!!

Happy days

Regards

Brian
Old 10-02-2004, 11:57 AM
southern_touch9

If you wait for the 35% Yak you could be waiting for a while
Old 10-03-2004, 12:57 PM
Hercmate

Brian,

Not doing too much route flying right now, its all tac low level work. Theres still loads of bodies down the back but as long as I've got a comfy seat up the front I dont care who's down there! Tis great fun......

I understand from Daniel you've ordered a kit? If so thats great! What are you planning to put in it ie engine and servos?

southern_touch9,

I've gone for the 68"er with the intention of getting the biggun next year - gives me time to save up!

Andy
Old 10-03-2004, 02:36 PM
bri neasham

Andy

Yep, i spoke to Daniel yesterday morning and he's going to give me a call when the Yaks arrive, hopefully wednesday. I was going to put my new YS 110 in the Funtana but now the YS is going into the Yak and i'am going to use a Saito 100 i've just bought of ebay for the Funtana.

Just bought some new digital servos for the Funtana, Futaba S3152. This servo has just become available in the UK and the specs and price seen very good, 5.0 kg-cm and 0.22sec/60 at 4.8v and only £23.55 from Inwoods. For the Yak i have some Futaba S9206 servos out of one of my helis, probably a bit of overkill at 9.5 kg-cm.

Busy couple of weeks ahead building (assembly)!!

Regards

Brian
Old 10-03-2004, 02:58 PM
Hercmate

oooh I very envious now! The YS110 in the Yak is definitely the way forward.Mine will have 5945 digi coreless all round with the exception of the elevator halves which will have the faster 5925 digi coreless servos.

The F90 will have to be strictly backup only for now as that little lot above has alreadt bled me dry!!
Old 10-03-2004, 03:04 PM
bri neasham

Andy

Know exactly how you feel, bread and water for me for a few weeks!!

Brian
Old 10-03-2004, 03:16 PM
Hercmate

Yes I'll be the same food wise I'm sure!

As far as the servos go I think 9.5kg-cm is about right. The hitec 5945s are 13.0 kgcm and 0.13 secs and the 5925s are 9.2 kgcm at 0.08 secs. Maybe overkill but I want this to be the most hardcore 3d model I've had to date! As far as I know the hardware is very good so sloppy linkages should not occur at all. That way combined with good strong servos the control authority and low risk of flutter should be fine.

Any idea of what prop you'll be using? I'm thinking 16x4w or 16x6....
Old 10-03-2004, 03:42 PM
bri neasham

I've got 16x4 and 16x6 APC to try for the YS. Also going to use Magnum 20% fuel in it as this is the fuel i standardised on for all my heli's. Good fuel with plenty of oil and also its cheaper than Coolpower 15 which i used to use.

Just need some half decent weather now to get some practice in on my U-Can-Do before flying the Funtana (or Yak!)

Brian
Old 10-03-2004, 05:28 PM
AcroJo

Don't think you or the YS will like the 16/4. 16/6 is the way to go and the 17/4 is a real trip. With that one get ready for some stump pulln' torque and the ability to stop in mid air once the throttle is down. 16/6 to a 17/4 is a big leap and takes some getting used to, but will bite right into a hover and makes harriers almost automatic. The YS swings it like a champ. Joe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.