Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Chip Hyde's Vision 3D

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Chip Hyde's Vision 3D

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2004, 08:58 PM
Daryl g lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Chip Hyde's Vision 3D

Just got back from flying my new Vision with a DA-50.This plane by far the best airplane I have purchase, builded and flown.Thanks goes out to the people at Chip Hyde and Desert Aircraft for the best combo.I also want to thank Hank Cooper for his help the set-up of this airplane.If any of you want help with this plane just E=mail me .
Old 11-08-2004, 08:51 AM
Fastlif
My Feedback: (2)

Daryl,
Just wondering what and if tuned pipe and prop brand and size you are running on yours. I plan to buy a Vision this winter and just want to see what everyone is running. I normally run a 22x8 Menz on my other DA50. Just wondering if you are running the same?

thanks. Pics please if you got them.
Jim
Old 11-09-2004, 06:06 AM
Daryl g lane

I have three props to try on this plane 22/8,23/8 and this are Mejzlik,the other is a23/8 bolly.I got the tune pipe set-up with my engine from DA and I am very pleased with it,but the plane turned out a little heavey [16.5].the other thing i did was i used carbon rods on all controls incuding rudder.PS the CG is 1/4 behind the wing tube.
Old 11-09-2004, 01:01 PM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

Daryl,

Could you specify your setup?

Servos, batteries, regulators (if any), tank, wheels, etc...

What did you do in order to balance at the 1/4" behind the wingtube?

ORIGINAL: Daryl g lane

I have three props to try on this plane 22/8,23/8 and this are Mejzlik,the other is a23/8 bolly.I got the tune pipe set-up with my engine from DA and I am very pleased with it,but the plane turned out a little heavey [16.5].the other thing i did was i used carbon rods on all controls incuding rudder.PS the CG is 1/4 behind the wing tube.
Old 11-10-2004, 05:36 AM
Daryl g lane

I used JR 8611s on all control surfaces and 8231 on throttle and choke.batteries that I used were Kokam 2000 mah on engine with a Dura-lite reg. and a JR 1800 mah 6-v under the receiver.fuel tank is a dubro 20oz and wheels are dubro also.AS far as CG I put the plane together by the instructions
Old 11-10-2004, 08:27 AM
Maudib

Thanks for the info Daryl.

When you sau put the JR 1800 under the receiver, did you put the receiver back on the supplied plate or mounted it elsewhere?

Also did you put the rudder servo in the tail or did you opt for the pull-pull?

Once of the reasos I'm asking so man things is to determine what things I and others reading this thread might want to consider for ours.

Things like Kavan tires, covering over the pipe tunnel and using the stock muffler, carbon fiber spinner/prop, carbon gear & tailwheel, lion batteries and maybe even CF wingtube (if one can be foudn that size).

If yours came in at 16.5 lbs with canister and an extra choke servo... then it's feasible that less than 15.5 is possible if one wanted to go to the expense and hassle... Sounds like staying stock with a standard muffler & choke rod would save 1/2 lb. maybe...

Tho to be honest... 16.5 lbs on a DA50 with tuned pipe would be awesome as is...

I used JR 8611s on all control surfaces and 8231 on throttle and choke.batteries that I used were Kokam 2000 mah on engine with a Dura-lite reg. and a JR 1800 mah 6-v under the receiver.fuel tank is a dubro 20oz and wheels are dubro also.AS far as CG I put the plane together by the instructions
Old 11-11-2004, 03:42 AM
Daryl g lane

Yes, I put the receiver on top of the supplied plate and the battery under the plate and as far as the muffler it was one lbs,But the added power is worth it.The rudder servo is mounted in the stock location.PS you might want to change the tail wheel,It is a little small for this plane.
Old 11-11-2004, 08:42 AM
Maudib

Awesome info Daryl. Doesn't look to be any real issues with balance... altho users MIGHT need to move a little more weight up front if they use a standard muffler...

I know what you mean about the tailwheel... is is aweful low for the plane (though really nice) as the rudder will drag if you climb steeply on takeoff.

One more question Daryl... What prop are you using on your DA and what RPM's are you getting... on other words just how much more power are we talking with the canister?

For those wanting more info:

I have recieved mine and gave it a quick looking over. Built very much like the DV, which is a good thing. I do miss the canopy/hatch latch used on the DV and may have to order one from Hobby Lobby and install it. The trim scheme does in fact peel off cleanly leaving an all white plane on top and all red on bottom. With the exception of the nose in frn of the canopy... it's seamed, but you could easily leave the red&black on there and the turtledeck and come up with something quite nice... I intend on stripping all the covering off mine and doing a completely custom scheme. The cowl will need sanded and repainted, but the pants look as if the trim colors are applied covering that have been clear coated over. Sanded a little it should come right off too leaving white pants ready for paint...

The gear is in two pieces and slips into slots into the fuse, then are bolted in place and then a "scab" piece is bolted to hold the two together. I'm going to look to see if there is a CF gear out there that could be cut in half and use here.

The rudder looks identical to the DV, but the elevator stabd (ehich LOOK the same are designed a bit different. There is a center "HUB" that sticks out on each side of the plane 1/2" or so... then the stab tubes and stabd slide up against this instead of the fuse. Might make it a little more sturdy than the DVs elevator setup (though I haven't had any problems with mine anyway)

As I mentioned earlier, there are pull-pull cable slots under the covering if you need to go that route... other wise a tail mounted rudder servo is the way to go. All in all a sweet looking plane, built light but strong.

Really sweet wing attachment. Two "lugs" screw into each wing... these become the anti-rotation pins too... they have grooves in them and when the enter the fuse they insert into aluminum blocks with a giant set screw. The set screw sets intot he grooves and locks them in place nicely. No loose bolts to store or tight areas to get them in and out of... the set screw slots face straight up out the fuse top for easy access.

I measured the wing area and I come up with 1420... not the advertised 1300... So it seems to have more wing area than most of the other 50cc offerings and looks as if it will indeed come in between 15.5 and 16.5 lbs... gotta love that.

Yes, I put the receiver on top of the supplied plate and the battery under the plate and as far as the muffler it was one lbs,But the added power is worth it.The rudder servo is mounted in the stock location.PS you might want to change the tail wheel,It is a little small for this plane.
Old 11-12-2004, 01:40 PM
Maudib

Just little pic to share... after dinner yesterday I thought I'd see how easy it would be to strip the covering from the Vision.

To my surprise, the covering came off fairly easy with no sticky residue on the wood and without pulling out some of the grain of the wood.

In fact I was able to strip the entire plane in about 30-40 minutes.

What's inside? Well to be honest, some of the cleanest building I've seen in an ARF. The wood quality was excellent and quite light. The whole thing was sanded well before covering and most fo the glue joints looked strong. I did notice one of my ribs slightly busted, but that was probably done by the shipper. I see where another was cracked and they fixed it at the factory by placing a short rib over the side of it.. That's a good thing... they could have shipped it without worrying about it.

Just really a beautiful build... I couldn't have done better myself.

So for those of you wanting to put a different scheme on her... it's basically a well asnded, clean ARC that happens to come wrapped. The cowl will take some time to sand down, but there is no hurry here.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71738.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	192446  
Old 11-12-2004, 03:51 PM
Eric.Henderson

Maudib.
Very impressive. - Perhaps a new sport "KIT STRIPPING?".

And I thought I was bad when I took all of the color trim off my Flip-3D and replaced it with fluorescent red trims!!!!!!!!

Well done DUNE man....

Regards,

Eric.
Old 11-12-2004, 04:46 PM
Maudib

Thanks Eric...

Though there is nothing really to stripping this particular plane... other than someday you'll have to put something back on it... Lietrally it took me way less than an hour after dinner to do it. I was only going to do the wing, but when it came of in like 3 minutes, I just had to see the rest of the plane's construction.

My buddy Tom is getting one and he made some templates for the side and top views if anyone wants them. He'll be stripping his too and taking his time this winter on it. I might be able to piddle with mine come Christmas time, but wanted to share with people interested in the Vision what I found underneath the covering.

One other little note... someone told me that there is a product out there called "Airplane Stripper" evidently used on full-scale aircraft... it's a paint stripper that he recommended... he said you paint it on (it's like a thick gel) let sit for 15 minutes and use a scrpaer to slide the old paint off.

He says it won't hurt the fiberglass and that he's used it on several items. That sure wouldd make stripping the cowl and wheelpants easier.
Old 11-16-2004, 08:47 PM
Scott Dilley
My Feedback: (3)

The waiting is killing me. I recieved the DA 50 on Friday. It is on and ready to go. The muffler will be here tomorrow. I plan to have it running within about 20 minutes of getting the muffler and flying within a day or so. Can anyone give me any suggestions for starting and 3D CG?
Old 11-17-2004, 10:03 AM
Fastlif

Lets see some video's.

Do you think its worth it over other 50 size planes? Be honest, I am wondering, as it quite a bit more expensive than others on the market. I know Chips planes are built well, the covering sucks, and I am not into recovering, so just wondering what some honest thoughts are. Dissapointed to hear that the quick hatch is gone, I take it is two screws holding on the hatch like other ships? Thats one thing I do like about my buddies DV.
Any input is appreciated.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:16 AM
Scott Dilley

I don't think that the covering sucks. It has stayed tight through 40 degree temperature and humidityu changes. That is something that Monokote will not do, no matter who applies it. The trim must be sealed down, however. Yes is my answer. I think it is worth it. Videos are on Chips website.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:36 AM
Maudib

I don't think anyone has one ready to fly just yet... and I know I won't get to fly mine til next spring.

The only videos out now are on Chip's website. Impressive performance I thought.

I am very enamored with my DV, and Chip told me that if I liked the DV, I was going to LOVE the Vision.

So I guess we'll see... but I don't think I'll be dissappointed...

As far as the covering... the trim has been known to peel off if not re-ironed... but I haven't lost anything on my DV yet... The graphics on the plane can be easily peeled off and something new added without re-covering the plane... we did a test and Ultracote sticks VERY well to Chip's covering.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:26 AM
Daryl g lane

I have had mine flying for about three weeks and I can say it is the best plane I own.
Old 11-18-2004, 04:11 PM
Maudib

After a couple of phone calls I got a set of CF gear from [link=http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/]Troy Built Models[/link] (also called Gene payson RC) that fits perfect in the Vision.

It's the Hangar 9 80" CAP gear. Almost exactl replacement... simply cut the gear in half and slip in place... designed for the same weight plane... 15-16 lbs.

It's a full .25" thick so I had to file the gear slots EVER SO SLIGHTLY for them to fit all the way in... really just to get the burr & excess glue off the wood.

They are 1" wider in stance, so you can enjoy that added taxiing stability OR cut the inch out form the center of the gear and save that much more weight...

They look sharp, but only save 2.5 oz in weight... Troy Built has them for $40.00 (after a 10% discount he has on them). Still yet, if you are trying to get it as light as possible... it would all add up... CF spinner, gear and tailwheel, lion batteries, etc.

I really am hopeful this one will come in under 15.5 lbs...

I also checked with Chip and sure enough there was an error in the wing area... it was stated up front as 1300 sq. in. It's actually 1420 sq. in. so it offers more wing area than most of the other single wing 50cc offerings out there at a lighter weight.

And here I am staring at winter straight in the face... Can I hitch a ride with anyone headed out to the Southwest? Have trailer, will travel..
Old 11-18-2004, 09:51 PM
YNOT

Thanks for the heads up on the gear.

What about a CF spinner? Haven't found the right size. Correction, I don't know the right website to find it. Anyone?

Would we be considered Visionaries?
Old 11-18-2004, 10:25 PM
Maudib

Visionaries... tee hee... hey I got a Vision and Double Vision... does that mean I am a Triple Vision kind of dude?

You can get the 3.5" Mejzlik CF spinners direct from DA... about $80
Old 11-19-2004, 05:42 AM
Fastlif

yeah watched the video on Chip's site. Plane looks good, wish it was not so windy tho, would like to see how it flies on a calm day. Covering on my buddies DV does suck, blows off after being ironed on twenty times. The stripes that is.

My main gripe, I really want the plane, but its priced too high. The double vision is only slightly more, this plane should of been near 450-500. O well, supply and demand. I look forward to any of you putting up building pics, flying reports tho, as I will most likely drag my feet on this purchase for above stated reason.
Old 11-19-2004, 07:03 AM
Scott Dilley

Try Chief Aircraft for the carbon spinners. I ran my motor last night. I plan to fly it this weekend, weather cooperating.
Old 11-19-2004, 08:20 PM
Scott Dilley

Maudib--come on down here to Oklahoma and fly. If you can make it by 11:00 tomorrow morning, we can have tandem Vision flights. Double Vision maybe???????
Old 11-20-2004, 10:58 PM
YNOT

Flight report?
Old 11-21-2004, 10:19 AM
Scott Dilley

I put the first 4 flights on mine yesterday. It was a tad windy, but the Vision handled it fine. The DA 50 ran like a top. Slow flight is like a dream, and it handles speed pretty well. I began some hovering and harriers, they were performed well, even though the CG needs moved back a bit. Snaps were beautiful, staying on the original line. Overall, I am very impressed. One of my fellow flyers also flew it. He did some rolling harrier circles. It seems that pilot limitaions are the only limitations that this plane has.
Old 11-21-2004, 11:09 AM
Maudib

Dag nabbit csdilley!

You got me thinking more about that OK trip...

Seriously tho, good news... glad you like the Vision... If it's anything like the DV, everytime you fly it, the more amazing it is and the more you place it higher and higher on your list of all time favorite planes.

Try and get some video 'eh? Would love to see things like walls, elevators, flatspins and blenders...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.