Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

new to 3d - questioning servo types?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

new to 3d - questioning servo types?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 09:56 PM
hetr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to 3d - questioning servo types?

-am an experienced pilot - sport only
-am going to get set up over the winter to get into 3d
-am going to order a funtana 40 with saito 82 combo
=question is - do l need to upgrade servos from the standard servos to HD versions?
have seen very little(or been able to find very little) on this topic so far - concensus however seems to be definitely
upgrade for a 90 size plane, but a 40 size could either be standard or to upgrade
am using a newer standard Hitec radio system - am also ordering a flight pack so can order upgraded servos if need be at that time
(no one in my immediate area flys 3d so don't have local expereiences to fall back on)

thanks for any info
(am NEW to this forum format - so excuse if not done up just right)
Old 10-06-2004, 10:17 PM
Bryant330L
My Feedback: (126)

Default RE: new to 3d - questioning servo types?

Hi, Welcome to RCU!

I once had the 40 size Funtana with a Saito 72 in it. While it is not a big plane, the control surfaces are large. You don't have to over do it with servo strength, but for 3D I think you need something high torque. The Hitec 635 is a reasonably priced servo at $29.99. If you run it on 6v it provides 83 oz of torque. That is plenty for this plane. If you don't like Hitec servos you could go with pretty much any servo with at least 70 or 80 oz and be in good shape. Good luck!
Old 10-07-2004, 11:25 AM
Scott Dilley
My Feedback: (3)

If you are just learning 3D, get a U Can Do 3D. It is a much better plane to learn on. While it has it's limitations, it is great to learn to 3D
Old 10-07-2004, 11:45 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bryant330L

Hi, Welcome to RCU!

I once had the 40 size Funtana with a Saito 72 in it. While it is not a big plane, the control surfaces are large. You don't have to over do it with servo strength, but for 3D I think you need something high torque. The Hitec 635 is a reasonably priced servo at $29.99. If you run it on 6v it provides 83 oz of torque. That is plenty for this plane. If you don't like Hitec servos you could go with pretty much any servo with at least 70 or 80 oz and be in good shape. Good luck!
My thoughts zactly.
Old 10-07-2004, 05:35 PM
gjeffers

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: csdilley

If you are just learning 3D, get a U Can Do 3D. It is a much better plane to learn on. While it has it's limitations, it is great to learn to 3D
my thoughts exactly!!!! make it a 60 size w/saito 100
Old 10-07-2004, 05:53 PM
Scott Dilley
My Feedback: (3)

I must disagree, sir...the Saito 100 fits perfectly in the 46 sized one. It is more fun that way!!
Old 10-07-2004, 08:06 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think he was asking about servos, not ARF's and engines. [8D]
Old 10-07-2004, 09:01 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I disagree about the servo strength needed on a Funtana. The ELEV and Rudder are fine with 60-70oz. The AILE needs more. I have the new Futaba 3305s all the way around. They are 90oz at 4.8v. When I had 9101s on it the roll rate would get slower over half throttle. The 60oz of torque would not push that big AILE to full deflection with any airspeed. I only run a 4" pitch prop so I know it's not over speed. I would also highly recommend ball links on the servo end with metal clevises on the control arm end. A little bit of play on a 4" control surface makes for a lot of play at the TE.

David
Old 10-07-2004, 09:41 PM
gjeffers

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: csdilley

I must disagree, sir...the Saito 100 fits perfectly in the 46 sized one. It is more fun that way!!
well sir, you must go to the u can do site and see the voting results on which one is best ,40 or 60. i tind to agree with the mass.