Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Funtana 90 Questions

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Funtana 90 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 09:09 PM
George E.
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Funtana 90 Questions

Sounds like it can handle all the speed I need, I was only thinking a 6 pitch prop max. I like the size of the plane for $210. I have an extra .91 2C, not the best choice but if I can keep it light it may be acceptable.

In NJ it's getting that time of the year to build, or is that assemble? Only the "one-piece" planes see much action in the winter
Old 12-14-2004, 09:35 PM
diamondave
My Feedback: (29)

i run a 16-6 apc with my os 108, its perfect i'd say, full throttle won't break any speed records but moves it around good enough for me..
Old 12-14-2004, 09:38 PM
diamondave

i know what you mean about the weather, i moved from pa last year out to arizona[8D], mainly cause of the winter times back there
Old 12-14-2004, 10:24 PM
Not24
My Feedback: (1)

Diamondave, I guess what I said about 6.5" was pretty close then for an IMAC cg point? I haven't flown mine at 6.5 or 6 5/8, but the way it flies at 7" is okay with me for 3D. Mine doesn't nose up too bad when slowing down, except for that last 5 mph before touchdown. In fact, as I recall, with the cg at 7", it is in perfect pitch trim no matter what the airspeed, till you get very very slow. And when you punch the throttle, it doesn't pitch, it just accelerates. There is one more variable here that i didn't mention. I balanced mine with the tank empty, like most everyone does, but my tank is touching the firewall. I've got a 14 oz sullivan in there, and I have not checked the cg with a full tank. It may very well be close to your 6 5/8" , but probably more like 6 3/4". I like the tank forward of the cg, because then I can tell how much fuel is in the plane by how it flies. Besides, it's nice and stable at takeoff, and nice and slow on landings.

George, if that's an os 91 fx I'd say it would do fine, but it will be tail heavy if you don't go with the pull pull rudder and move the throttle servo forward too. Mine is built stock with the 1.08, and is still tail heavy. A TT 1.20 would be the right amount of weight for the nose of this puppy.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:29 PM
E*nealio
My Feedback: (10)

Are you guys balancing you planes upside down or rightside up? Im balancing mine upside down? This, to my knowledge shouldnt make a difference but you never know.

Update:
Austin Texas, December 15
Calm winds up to 5mph
Clear skies
High of 57...hahaha on December 15

Well im ganna go have a blast, hope those builds are coming along nicely! But the sucky thing is I havent seen snow for more than a couple hours....[&o]
Happy HoverDays,
Nealio
Old 12-15-2004, 07:33 PM
diamondave

i balance mine right side up, and yes not24, 6 and 1/2 would be good for imac i would think, i say mine is 6&5/8, but holding it level the tail will slowly fall, if i hold the nose down just a bit it stays there, so i know i'm really close to that, and my fuel tank is butted up against the firewall too, 7 may not be bad, i just wasn't used to that nose up thing, even now it stays level, even as it slows, doesn't settle in unless i push it in, or click some down trim, and like i said i can still do all the manevures i try, except upright flat spins, inverted spins are great, upright maybe the cg effects that, or more than likley its the way i am doing them, cause i haven't had a plane yet i could get to tighten up right side up, must be me, anyway, thanks for the tips on the cg, i really didn't like this plane where it was, now i think its great, someone mentioned the thrust factor before, i came in dead stick and it still pitched up, so i definetly think it was the cg, not the design of the plane, looking forward to ringing this thing out some more one of these days, its like a new plane with the new cg, only got 2 flights so far and am thrilled with it..
Old 12-15-2004, 07:36 PM
Not24

Upside down, but for no particular reason. I will check it with a full tank as well so I know how much it moves.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:02 PM
Not24

Diamondave, I was seeing 9500 max on my 1.08 with a 16-4 apc, but I like to run it richer than that. I haven't tach'ed it with the 16-5, but it sounds better and still pulls good. It has unlimited vertical, but looks more like a slow ride into space. You can't roll or spin on the way up, at least not out of a hover. Do you have any performance figures I can compare to? I burn 15% cool power, and my engine is one season old. Like I said earlier, I can fly at full throttle without doing harm to the plane and slam it into the wall. I would feel better if I had enough power to need to throttle back to about half in level flight, using only the reserve for pullouts and snapping on uplines. I'm thinking the saito 150 would get me there, or perhaps a 120 2 stroke. I have not taken an accurate weight of the plane, but 9 pounds is in the ballpark.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:34 PM
E*nealio

Well the dang plane gods grabbed my Funtana out of a rolling harrier/ screw up and slammed it to earth before i could react to what was going on..dumb (these planes are made so you think your so good you can do it lower to the ground, and then guess what, the ultimate marketing scheme takes place, you arent that "good" and it crashes, but in the end you feel you couldve done better so you go buy another!!! Not bad ehh? Its working on me!!!.) I guess i get a new one for Christmas, i heard they made a modification to the servo tray in the wing, its between two spars instead of one and 2 hardwood rods to another spar farther away. I bet thats a lot stronger than the one on my first Funtana. Merry Christmas hobby shop and here's another 200 bucks..........
Happy Cant-HoverToday-days

Nealio
Old 12-15-2004, 10:46 PM
Not24

Sorry about your loss, but maybe you bragged a little too much on your beautiful weather there in Texas. It's going down to 16 tonight here. I hope you get another one, and you will like the new wing better.

Eddy
Old 12-15-2004, 11:41 PM
E*nealio

HaHa! I guess I got what I deserved!!! I'm currently debating between a new Funtana and and Extreme flight Yak! It all goes down tonight, i have already called the hobby shop and they have a new Funtana in stock.
Nealio
Old 12-16-2004, 08:58 AM
diamondave

not24, haven't tached mine with this 16-6, will do next time i fly, i just know it sounds great and flies wonderful, i use 15%-18% powermax, tried byron and omega, like powermax the best so far, also, i realized last night in thought as i laid in bed thinking about planes-like i do alot-, my cg was most likely beyond the 7&1/8, thats why mine was nosing up worse than yours sounds like, even slow fly bys were difficult, i had balanced it, then added a sullivan tail wheel and top side flying wires which i made from 440 rods and used little screws and nuts to hold all in place, so i'm sure mine was tail heavy, never checked it after that-doh'-[&o], o well, i like it now anyway but maybe the 7 your at wouldn't be too bad, will tach it, and i know performance with mine will hover around 3/4 throttle or so, then slowly pull out wilh full throttle, its enough for me to try it down pretty low, and i haven't done full speed walls yet, usually let off a bit before hitting it, so far so good, i am at just under 5000' too, so that is hurting my performance i'm sure!!!
Old 12-16-2004, 10:32 AM
joeb102072
My Feedback: (9)

The only advise I can give you is that my brother went from a YS 91 to a YS 1.10 for his U CAN DO 60 at 8 lbs. Now with the 91 he had no power at all so with this new engine I know he will be satisfied but remember thats at 8 lbs you are figuring on dropping down to 8.5 which in reality may actually be 8.75 and .75lbs is a big deal in a small plane. I am currently running a Funtana 90 with a YS 1.40 same block as the old 1.20's WAYYYY MORE power. And the weight is no big deal I have seen guys be extrem;y happy with Saito 1.50's in theirs and thats only 3 oz lighter than the YS 1.40 and YS IMO has the eqivilent power to a saito 1.80. And unlike the saitos as you know you dont need a pump when you put the fuel tank on CG. I dont have set up proceedures yet but IMO More power is key. I am thinking that my plane will weigh out at approx 9 to 9.5 lbs or so. I am comparing it to Somezini's Yak his weighs out at 11.0 lbs and he uses the YS 1.40. So I am expecting tons of power here. We'll see. RC universe has a real good write up on the Funtana 90 and the recomended CG's for your initial flights. Good Luck.
Old 12-19-2004, 09:57 AM
diamondave

not24: my plane tachs around 9450 with the 16-6apc and the spinner, for ****s&grins i tried a 17-6, tached around 9120 with no spinner-had to cut more out-, the 17 may have been slightly(very very slightly) more vertical, but i kinda like the 16, it seems a bit more resonsive, or i am just used to it, may try the 17 for a full day and then see what i think.
Old 12-19-2004, 12:19 PM
Not24

Thanks for that. I like the way the engine sounds when it's below 9500. You must be getting a few more revs than me because of your altitude in Arizona. I'm at sea level, so the thicker air may be harder to move. My prop of choice on my last plane was the apc 15-6. I liked it a lot better than the 14-6. I'm thinking a 17-4 would be good for the Funtana, and the 17-6 sounds like a lot of prop for that engine. Mine would probably only turn around 8300 with the 17-6. I do have a taller gear now, so I can easily swing the diameter. I like the blade design on the Zinger 16-5 that I have on it now. It's easier to get the spinner to fit than with the 16-4w. Also, because it's lighter, it spools up a little quicker.
Old 12-19-2004, 08:31 PM
George E.

NOT24

I broke down and got a F90 today. I am going to try a GMS 1.20 2C with pitts muffler and perry pump. I'm not in a hurry to get it done so it may be a few weeks but the plane looks like it will be fun.

George
Old 12-19-2004, 10:43 PM
Bsharp

Hello fellow Funtana flyers.

I test flew mine a few weeks ago, flew great, except on the third flight the stock tailwheel assembly riped off the rudder, right as she left the ground. While I was trimming it for a landling she decided to dead stick. No problem landing though, and a sullivan tailwheel has now fixed the problem. Flies great. I didn't have any of the nose weight (C.G.) problems many have reported. I'm running a tower .75 2stroke on her. Only hovers at full throttle,,, Budget plane. I fly from my front yard in Oregon. Rain limited me to only four flights today, I lost the plane in the clouds a couple of time and called it quits. This plane is definately one of the best I've flown. Super stable on lows, slips nice and is very predictible. High rates I'm worried I'm damaging our atmosphere! [img][/img]
Old 12-20-2004, 04:25 PM
diamondave

i guess your air may be denser, but you should have better power, some of the older guys in my club say we need to over power by around 30% of a recomended motor, example being a 90 size motor in a 60 plane, or a 120 in a 90 size, and so on, some swear by 4 strokes for this altitude, but i have had better luck with 2 strokes. i don't know where this mith about 4 strokes swinging bigger props came from, but my fx 91 will spin much more of a prop than the saito 91 i had, i know the torque may be down lower in the rpm range on a 4 stroke, but i can keep my 2 stroke up at a good rpm for my flying, and my 17-6 did fit with the stock gear, kinda close to the ground, but i was careful not to tip it up too much while wheeling from the start stand
Old 12-20-2004, 06:18 PM
Not24

Bsharp, how in the **** did you get the plane to balance with a 75? That engine is lighter than a 60. The biggest prop it will swing is 13". I know they make good power, cause I seen one on a 60 size ultra stick. My 1.08 seems like the minimum power for this plane. I'd like a 120 out there for the ability to pull out quickly. I suppose you can do it, but without lead in the nose, it'd have to be light. Mine is too light to fly in the wind already. She slows down real nice for landings. I generally touch down at about 5 mph. A blast of power and full up elevator at the last minute and you are down.

Diamondave, I like the feel of the low end throttle response of a four stroke, but I can't get over the price yet. When I see how much more power I can get for the money in a two stroke, I always favor the power over sound and torque.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:53 PM
diamondave

george e, i'd like to hear about that gms 120, i've been eyeing that up for some time now, the specs and price look great, don't know anyone with one yet

not24: i agree with your comments on the 4 stroke thing, and all 3 of the funtana guys in my club adjusted their cg and are much happier with them now
Old 12-20-2004, 08:49 PM
George E.

I'll let you know about the GMS in a couple of weeks. I never owned a GMS but I didn't hear anything too bad about the 1.20 so I couldn't resist trying something new.

I got the 1.20 and a Bisson Pitts muffler for $150 after a $25 coupon at Tower.

I'm going to try a Perry Pump for the first time too and put the tank on the CG.

I'll keep you posted.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:42 PM
Not24

It'll be fun bolting the wings on with the tank in the way. Last time I flew mine, one of the blind nuts was missing from the wing panel.. I was able to use a wing nut instead. Couldn't have done that too good with a tank in the way. I think a 1.20 will balance this plane perfectly. You'll be able to put the battery in the tail, not the nose. Mine is strapped to the engine box and I'm still aft of where I want to be. I have considered extending the nose by an inch or so to help with the cg. Right now, the nose is very short, but it pitches really good with that short moment.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:04 PM
Bsharp

She balances at exactly 7 inches behind the leading edge next to the fuse with the sulivan tail wheel, gaped hinges on all surfaces (Crystal Clear tape) and a nimh pack slid next to and soft mounted on the side of the stock fuel tank. I'm swingin a APC 14x4 prop, it definately performs better than anything in the 13 sizes. I located the .75 in exactly the position recomended. Tail servos' (I'm broke from this hobby) 3 HiTec HS-475HB's. It balanced real nice, w/ no added weight. I was expecting it to before I even purchased the plane. After reading all the strings I guess I got some luck. Tail feathers don't stall either. I can settle her in to land real slow, stalled or near stall and keep the nose right where I want. Also no problem in the Oregon wind, slips better than any plane I've flown. I added a picture of me cowl work and pilot check HER out, Unenthusiastic wife (must be the cowl work) took vid of 1rst two flights, can't upload though.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19251.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	205103  
Old 12-20-2004, 10:19 PM
Bsharp

Sorry I think the dial up connection may have made blury. The one in the gallery is better.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28548.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	205108  
Old 12-20-2004, 11:12 PM
E*nealio

Thats INTERESTING?!?!?! Are those CUSTOM vynal graphics? Nice, lol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.