Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

How to lighten it up??

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

How to lighten it up??

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 01:36 PM
Boogie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to lighten it up??

I have built myself a FF TACO and now after fitting it with a mvvs .21 I found out that it is a bit too heavy to pull out of the hover. Does anyone know what I might do to save some weight??
It weighs about 2,25lbs right now with mvvs .21 with tuned muffler. Right now I use 1 standard servo for ailerons, 1 hs-55 for throttle and 2 hs-81s for stabs. Battery was a 800mAh AA 4,8V. I can save those 0,25 lbs now by using AAA 6V batt. removing the spinner, switch and having foam wheels. Does anyone know how can I save some weight on the landing gear. Right now mine is made out of 1/8 diameter steel. I can't just remove it, because I would have to land on the muffler[:@]
Old 11-16-2004, 02:02 PM
NZ Scythe

Default RE: How to lighten it up??

Carbon Landing gear, Foam wheels and loose the spinner.

I rekon this would save a bit of weight but usually the bulk of the weight is in the construction/covering. What glue did you use? was the wood light?
Old 11-16-2004, 08:16 PM
RJConnet

Boogie,

By "2 HS 81's for stabs", do you mean one on the rudder and one on the elevator or one one each elevator half. If the latter, you could use one HS 225BB on the elevator, replace the standard on the ailerons with a 225BB. Use a NiMH 4 cell AAA battery (the 225s are plenty fast on 4.8 V). Use 3/32 wire for the LG with foam wheels. Get rid of the spinner and use a wood prop. Get rid of the tail wheel if you are using one and just use a simple wire skid. All of these things will help get the weight down.[8D][8D]..........RJ
Old 11-17-2004, 02:15 PM
Boogie

ORIGINAL: RJConnet

Boogie,

By "2 HS 81's for stabs", do you mean one on the rudder and one on the elevator or one one each elevator half. If the latter, you could use one HS 225BB on the elevator, replace the standard on the ailerons with a 225BB. Use a NiMH 4 cell AAA battery (the 225s are plenty fast on 4.8 V). Use 3/32 wire for the LG with foam wheels. Get rid of the spinner and use a wood prop. Get rid of the tail wheel if you are using one and just use a simple wire skid. All of these things will help get the weight down.[8D][8D]..........RJ
Yeah I mean one for rudder and one for elevator. Sorry that I haven't precised it.
I could use those servos (225) but I just don't have money. If I had I would jest place there a bigger motor. That's why I want to save some weight- cheap!!!!!!
I will probably just make the landing gear out of 3/32 wire.
I already have a tail skid so it is good enough now.
The wooden prop is not a good idea. It's very difficult to find a prop that is as efficient as APC.