Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Yak 54 by Ultra RC anyone??

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Yak 54 by Ultra RC anyone??

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 03:52 PM
MustangAce
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yak 54 by Ultra RC anyone??

Has anyone built and flown this ARF.

Does it fly like the other Yak 54's

Need a scale aerobatic plane.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:43 PM
hickox

Default RE: Yak 54 by Ultra RC anyone??

I bought one when the first came out. Ultra RC is fly-by-night operation... IMO..... I couldn't get the yack to fly well at all. I had a satio 82 on it with good futaba servos. JUNK IMO stay away. If you really want one mine is for sale at the local hobby shope for $100.00
Old 12-14-2004, 08:58 PM
ULTRA-RC

hickox,

Thank you for your post. In reponse to your comments, we are hardly a "fly-by-night" operation. I was there for you every step of the way. I answered each and every one of your emails and addressed all the issues. There is definitely an issue in the way your specific plane is set-up. I tried to help you ..... and still want to. You were supposed to send me pictures of your linkage set-up so we could further evaluate, but you never responded. There are many customers flying this planes successfully and are happy. I know we will be unable to make everyone happy but I am going above an beyond the level of service in comparison to the industry norm in order to insure the success of your purchase. So please, do not blame our company or the plane for your less than positive result, there is an issue and I would like to help figure it out. You can contact me anytime.

Ultra-RC
Brian Hughes
Old 12-15-2004, 04:28 AM
Sprink

From what I have seen, not a 3D machine. A club mate has got one, he is getting a YS 63 for it as it needs more power (asp 61 at the moment). Hopefully he will then be happy with it.

Nice colour scheme though
Old 12-15-2004, 09:49 AM
ULTRA-RC

Sprink,

If you want to email me directly at [email protected] I will provide you with our set-up. This plane will 3D, our video will be up very soon. We found the Saito 82 or YS 63 provides the best performance for this type of flying. Look forward to speaking with you soon.

Ultra-RC
Brian Hughes
Old 12-15-2004, 10:11 PM
bipeaddict

I am currently assembling this plane. I have been impressed with the quality of the ARF. The fiberglass fuselage is first rate. I have a YS 63 that will go in this plane. I am using JR DS3421 servos to keep the weight down. The hardware seems that is enclosed in the kit seems good, however I am picky and I have replaced the pull-pull rudder hardware with dubro hardware. I also made my own 2-56 rod setups for the ailerons. In addition, I have replaced the elevator push-rod with carbon fiber rod from central hobbies. I have a sullivan y-joint connect to the CF rod and I have threaded my own 2-56 rods that will go to each elevator half. I also used pinned hinges on the movable surfaces instead of the CA hinges. I don't like CA hinges in general. I even spent the time to carve out all the little ventalation scoops in the cowl. I have used a fromeco failsafe switch/regulator and a no BS 6 volt NiMh battery pack.

So far I am please with the way it is going together and I am looking forward to the maiden flight. I do belive that the plane is a great value and seems to be well constructed.

Hopefully someone else will post their flight report.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:07 AM
TUMBLER
My Feedback: (13)

I have flown this plane a couple times and it is one sweet plane for the size! It tracks like a pattern plane. Snaps stop on a dime, point rolls are effortless with hardly a touch or rudder, high alpha is slow as he--, etc. Now for 3D. I flew it first with an OS 50 SX and brought it down to 5-10 feet first flight in a hover no problem but flew it later with an 82 and found it even easier. 60SX or Saito 82 are prob good choices. Harriers, high alpha rolls, blenders, etc.........all well within the flight envelope. If you are having trouble getting it to do some of these things, it is most likely the set up. just give Ultra-Rc a call and they will walk you through it. The balance point is critical to achieving the best results because it is short coupled.
Old 12-28-2004, 08:39 AM
bipeaddict

Tumbler,

Speaking of balance ... Was the plane you flew tail heavy? Did it require weight in the nose? How much? I am just about done with mine and I am finding it very tail heavy. I have a YS 63 on the front support by a hyde mount. Placing the battery pack on the engine mounts doesn't even bring it near the balance point.

It was built stock except for the use of a carbon fiber push rod for the elevators.

Jim
Old 04-11-2005, 11:09 PM
3DHUSKER
My Feedback: (6)

need info on this plane
Old 04-12-2005, 09:31 AM
diggs_74

I have a few flights on my with a 91 4s and it flies very well... I have been moving my CG back( ie Rx Battery) a little at a time to try and get to a point where it will 3D... Right now it is still a little nose heavy and snaps out of high alfa stuff. However, for the wing loading being as high as it is (around 27 oz/ft2) it lands quite nicely. The only issue I have with it is that getting it down to the advertised weight would be near impossible even with a Saito or YS. Other than that it's a great looking/flying plane.
Old 04-16-2005, 02:58 PM
cart3192

My Yak 54 arrived on time and it looks great. I just finished putting it together. I've put the D.E.P.S dual elevetor pushrod system in from http://www.centralhobbies.com/contro...age/deps1.html ... For power it's got a Saito 82A. I have not flown the bird. Both wheel pants were weak and near broke... will not make it through the first flight. I am going to take them off and make more or contact Ultra RC for more. Ultra RC was very responsive the last time I talked to them. I've got a JR digital 537 servo pack installed with a JR 8301 transmitter. Get you one! You are going to like the look and it fits assembled in the back of my truck.
Old 04-16-2005, 03:42 PM
bipeaddict

I have flown mine now for a couple of months. I am slowly moving the cg back. It flys very well with the YS 63. Vertical is very very good. Tracks well. You can't float this plane in for a landing. Mine will drop a wing if brought in too slow. I add a little flaperon and that helps with the landing speed. I need to move the weight rearward for it to 3d better.

I think it is a great plane for the price and always receives good comments from fellow club members.
Old 04-16-2005, 04:05 PM
tf2psycho
Banned

how do you hover do you use mixing option on your controller?
Old 04-16-2005, 04:11 PM
tf2psycho
Banned

should i move the battirie back more to hover and should i use mixing on the flash x controller to hover