Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Funtana90 video (Kyle)

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Funtana90 video (Kyle)

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 01:36 AM
Kyle300S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Funtana90 video (Kyle)

very intereseting question. I know in the past i have said that i would get the YS 1.10 if i had the choice. (and i would have if i had to buy a new engine when i got the plane) Now that i think about it, I would Get the 1.20, because with the 120 i had to add 3 oz of lead to the nose. The 1.10 is lighter. so it would take even more wieght. I dont know the difference in the differnt Type of 1.20s, so i can't reconmend a certain type. But i do know that YS no longer makes a 1.20 If you can find one on E-bay, i would go for that. But i think Zak West is selling his. (i will check to make sure) if you can not get a hold of a 1.20, then i would go for the 1.10. At your altitude you should have no problem with it pulling out of a hover. People that are useing saito 100 are not haveing a problem with vertical preformance, from what i ahve heard. So the YS 1.10 should be more than enough.
Old 12-26-2004, 03:36 AM
Highlights

Hey there Kyle,whats the deal with the Hitec 645's. Just wondering why you haven't found the need to go with the 5645 dig mg? I am trying to decide right now which to go with for this plane. I have brand new hs 5475 digitals , but I am rethinking them .From what I hear ,I should go with metal gears and not trust the resin gears. What's your thoughts?
PS have you gone to flyingcirkus.com? Check it!
Old 12-26-2004, 09:31 AM
diamondave
My Feedback: (29)

stillbranden, a guy at our field used a satio 100, could not pull out of a hover at all, barely hovered actually, it is visibly underpowered, i use a os108 on mine, didn't add any wieght, just have the battery way up next to my fuel tank, another guy in my club used an os160, he can hover around half, and rocket out no problem, mine will hover around 5/8-3/4 throttle, and slowly climb out when pegged, even slower if i tail slide first, but we are just under 5000' in northern arizona, so that hurts us a bit, but i don't know it the 100 even at lower altitude would be good enough to make me happy

serovs: i am useing those new 635's?, i think thats the number, the one with the karbonite gear, they still have plenty of torgue for the plane, slightly quicker than the 645-they say-, i can't tell, i mainly did it cause they are lighter than the 645, i am still using a 645 for the rudder though, i am happy with the 635 servos, would recomend them if you don't want-or afford- digitals- like me.. these 635 are really free flowing, meaning with battery off, you can barely push the surface and the servo glides around really nicely, easier than others, not sure if that makes a difference in flight, but its pretty cool
Old 12-26-2004, 10:03 AM
Vic3D
My Feedback: (19)

Not to attack Zak West, but I would think about buying his YS 1.20, because he's selling it because it gave it too many problems on his F90. Just 2 cents.....
Old 12-26-2004, 10:39 AM
bentgear

Kyle, one thing nobody has commented on yet is the speed of the plane during the whole routine, do you think it ever got over, say, 25 MPH?

That, INHO, has a lot to do with servo choice. I think the manual is right, as long as you maintain good servo mounting and linkage practices.

I bet with the more forward CG you will be flying it faster. If you wind up liking it more forward you might want to change over to a pull/pull rudder setup with the servo under the canopy so you can get rid of the added weight.

Ed M.
Old 12-26-2004, 11:46 AM
Kyle300S

ORIGINAL: Vic3D

Not to attack Zak West, but I would think about buying his YS 1.20, because he's selling it because it gave it too many problems on his F90. Just 2 cents.....
thats a god point. I didnt think about that. Sorry

Bentgear: in most of that video i am flying very slow, yes, but right before the Tumble i am full throttle in level flight. but because it was overcast you cant tell how fast it was moving. this plane is not a rocket, but it can get up and move if it wants to at full throttle.

and to tell you the truth. i just chose the 645s because the torque looked good. i didnt pay any attention to the speed. and i have never used or seen any other Hitec servos other than the standar stuff you put in a trainer, and my 5945s in my extra. so i cant say much about the others.

Diamondave: There is a video of a funtana with a saito 100 at a lower altitued than Arizona and he doesnt seem to have a problem. I did not see the plane with a 100 fly in person, but from what i saw from the video. it looked like a good match at a low alt.
Old 12-26-2004, 04:29 PM
diamondave

kyle, i think i saw that video too, i didn't see climb out from a hover though, harrier and torque rolled...i know the altitude is killing us here, just don't know how bad it really makes it, i know the guy here with the 100 on it isn't too happy with it, and he is a bit older and doesn't even do much 3d, so for him to comment negative on power the way he flies, it must not be all that great, at least where we are, nothing against saito's at all though, just that combo for our altitude
Old 12-26-2004, 05:55 PM
Kyle300S

I understand where your coming from. I flew my funtana in Arizona and noticed a big drop in preformance.
Old 12-26-2004, 09:11 PM
Mr_Scary
My Feedback: (6)

Wish I could see the vid. Bandwitdth exceeded. I will have to try later.
Old 12-26-2004, 09:51 PM
Kyle300S

fixed....
Old 12-27-2004, 02:59 AM
WaPilot

Hey Kyle.... I've heard about you from rainman at rams field. Impressive. I also fly Funtana 90 and she's currently down due to a 3rd mishapa at low alt. I fly out at Raineer club and the gravity seems to be little stronger here I also use Hitec 7 and can you please tell me what setting... switch... expo... mix rates you are using? I'm using a saito 150 with 30% heli fuel..and still experimenting with the props. I've tried 16x4 , 17x4 any suggestions for this engine? I have hard time slowflight without the wing rocking... any suggestion and recommendations woud be helpful. thanks in advance.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:06 AM
stevezero
My Feedback: (11)

WA Pilot. I've had great success with an APC 17/6 prop on an older saito 150. I'm at about 700 ft ASL. Mine was in the .60 sized UCD, right about the same weight range (under 9 lbs) It had gobs of power and torque, on 15% fuel. When I switched to 20%, it got even better(almost downright scary). I do believe that is the engine that will go into my funtana as soon as I can clear out the 90,543 boxes of Christmas decorations from my garage and actually see my workbench/floor. On my UCD, I ran a combination of 605s (ailerons), 625 on the rudder, and 225's on the elevator halves (all on 6volts). I did encounter one prob usin the 225s, after about 100 flights of getting the heck pounded out of them, I had one stick at full up deflection (fortunately up rather than down). I managed to bring the plane in and landed without damage (thank goodness for flaperons and dual elevator servos). I think I'll go with a pair of 645's on the elevators, due to that awesome flying display that Kyle put on.

Kyle,

Did you build the plane stock, or did you do any mods for strength and/or lightness? Since you run a YS, did you put your tank on the CG as well? Just curious, because I physically havent seen one of these funtana's yet (was away from the hobby for most of the year this year).

Thanks,
Steve
Old 12-27-2004, 01:23 PM
Kyle300S

I built mine stock with the tank in front of the wing tube.

WaPilot: here is my setup with the Hitec eclips 7. (i'm not very good at setting up a plane. so this may or may not look like the right way to do it.)

EPA: Aileron-125% Elevator-125% Throttle- 65% (that would explane why i cant shut it off[X(]) Rudder- 105%

FLPN: On ch1- 100% ch6- 100% Aileron set up.
VTAL: Inh
ELVN: Inh
A->R: Inh
E->F: On 50%
FLPT: 0
LAND: OFF
PMx5: Inh
PMx4: Inh
PMx3: Inh
PMx2: Inh
PMx1: Inh
T.CUT: -72%
REV: you will have to work with that on yours.
S.trim: Same as REV.
FLT.C: Inh
EXP: Ch1: -25% Ch2: -30% Ch4: -10%
D/R: dont have them set

Hope i didnt miss anything....
Old 12-27-2004, 03:14 PM
diamondave

kyle: yeh i guess until i take my plane down to a lower altitude, i won't know just how much it effects me, i wouldn't think its a tremendus amount, but i could be wrong, my plane with the 108 and a 16-6 could be a rocket, i'll have to try and get down to phoenix area or somewhere down lower i guess, also, i saw your set ups, not using much expo i see, i got mine up in the 50-60% settings, yours still easy to handle while flying around normally? or maybe you don't fly that way-haha-, did you get to fly with a more forward cg yet?
Old 12-27-2004, 03:40 PM
Kyle300S

yeah. its not too terible to fly around, but still a hand full. I have not been able to fly with a forward CG yet. It was raining again yesterday and now today there is not a cloud in the sky, but tremendous winds! tomarrow is looking good though.
Old 12-27-2004, 04:29 PM
fishgod
My Feedback: (13)

Why go with a YS120 unless you already own one. The 140 FZ, Sport, and L are the same weight as the 120 but have more power.
Old 12-27-2004, 06:42 PM
TOYMAKER
My Feedback: (6)

Mike,

I am finishing my Funtana up now and am putting an ST2300 in it. So far it is balancing just fine with so I can only imagine what some of these guys are having to do with a lighter engine. Plan on spinning either e 17x6 or 18x6 wood Zinger. Heck if the pattern guys run YZ 1.40's on a 9.5lb pattern plane I figured why not on this plane. Had to put this ST in something before it rusted up sittin on the shelf.

Smooth Flying....

Wayne
Old 12-27-2004, 07:31 PM
fishgod
My Feedback: (13)

Wayne,
It ought to be a rocket with the ST2300. You will have to let me know how it goes. Heck put a Mintor 140 or 170 with a pipe on it and you would still be lighter then a YS 120 or YS140
Old 12-27-2004, 09:16 PM
diamondave

we had a nice weekend, but now its been windy and colder, chance of rain, may not get out again until towards the end of the week, i like that manever you do in your video wher your flying around in a knife edge, then you roll 360 back to knife edge, is that kinda like a snap roll move but in knife edge, i want to try it and think i know what your doing, but can't now cause of weather, so i figure its a good time to ask you about it, is it something like knife edge, then roll aileron and oppsite rudder, then back to knife edge??
Old 12-28-2004, 12:23 AM
Kyle300S

its knifeedge positive snap to knifeedge. you want to roll towards your top wing when your in a knife edge. leave your rudder the way you have it.

in the video its knife edge to the right. so i'm holding left rudder and rolled left. you can also to a negitive snap in the same manuver. so you again leave your rudder how you are holding it. but now roll to your bottom wing.
Old 12-28-2004, 01:33 AM
WaPilot

Damn... thanks to you Kyle now I'm humming that darn 'wiperblade' song when I'm flying my Funtana !!!!! Get it out of my head ! [&o][&o]
P.S. did you have to 'hire' an imstructor? I would like to get my self a lesson to improve my flying skills....any ideas?
thanks
Old 12-28-2004, 08:40 AM
diamondave

i was close in my thinking then, but i thought you went opposite rudder while rolling, i'm glad i asked, not sure what move i would come up with doing it the other way, plan to start out higher to make sure, thanks.
Old 12-28-2004, 12:34 PM
Kyle300S

ORIGINAL: WaPilot

Damn... thanks to you Kyle now I'm humming that darn 'wiperblade' song when I'm flying my Funtana !!!!! Get it out of my head ! [&o][&o]
P.S. did you have to 'hire' an imstructor? I would like to get my self a lesson to improve my flying skills....any ideas?
thanks
Its such a cool song though.....

i think all my improvment came from flying with my buddies. we are always trying to talk each other into the ground. They gave me my 1st low wing plane and told me to practice low inverted passes. i would do a pass and then they would say "i bet you cant turn it around and come back while inverted!!!" so i try it an vwala! i learn inverted flight. they did the same thing for just about every manuver i learned. (while throwing rocks at me while i'm doing it.)[X(] good times.....
Old 12-28-2004, 12:38 PM
Kyle300S

ORIGINAL: diamondave

i was close in my thinking then, but i thought you went opposite rudder while rolling, i'm glad i asked, not sure what move i would come up with doing it the other way, plan to start out higher to make sure, thanks.
you would have ended up with a negitive snap that will put you into the ground. another one you can try is doing a knife edge to the left. then push full down elevator with a tad bit of right aileron. that is a knife edge to lumchivok back to knife edge. most the time it will snap and lock right back into knife edge if you just let go of elevator when it comes back around. give it a try, looks really cool.
Old 12-29-2004, 08:45 AM
diamondave

will do, not sure when, weather is nasty today, rainy and very windy, maybe by the weekend its supposed to get nicer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.