Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

What does you Funtana 90 weigh?

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

What does you Funtana 90 weigh?

Old 12-30-2004, 10:13 AM
rockmon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What does you Funtana 90 weigh?

Well I have an O.S.1.60 in mine and love it, the weight is right at 10 lbs and balanced at 71/2 with no extra weight. If I had a Saito 1.80 I would try one for sure probably close in power to the 1.60 but for sure will swing a bigger prop. The only issue I would have is vibration with the Saito but from what I read that doesn't seem to be a problem. Havn't been flying much here in wisconsin YET need to get the ski's on my S.E. all my big planes get a vacation when the snow flys been busy playing with a new (to me) snow machine hehe it flys but never leaves the ground at least not yet. Happy new year to all.
Old 12-31-2004, 10:41 AM
TOYMAKER
My Feedback: (6)

ICE MAN,

Funny you should mention the ST2300... I am just finishing my X-mas present and have the ST 2300 installed in it and it looks like its going to balance just fine. Comping in at about 9.5lbs I could hover an 11lb pattern plane with this engine and a 17x10n APC prop so it should make a hole shot with some good acceleration ON THIS PLANE

This is all left over stuff from a previous pattern plane.

ST2300 w/Perry pump/carb w/slimline Pitts style muffler
Start with a 17x6 Zinger wood and may try an 18x6 Zinger wood if it will pull it.
Futaba 9202 ailerons
Futaba 9101 elevators
FMA 6553? 130 in. on on the rudder
1650 6v mil NiMh battery w/Miricale switch regulator

I had to pin and glass the firewall as it was poorly set even for a smaller engine. I used a Dave Brown 1.20 mount and bolted it on with 4-40 bolts and blind nuts. Modified the aileron box by adding an extra rib like the updated models and put a 1/2" hard point dowel in the aileron like I do on my pattern planes.
Modified the rudder adding some crossbracing at the bottom half and sheeted both sides with a 2.5"x2.5" 1/64 ply to beef up the horn area as this is a very weak area. In addition to using the c.fiber stab stuts I install a diamond brace at the trailing edge of the stab and it stiffened it significantly with very little weight cost. Put a 20 oz. Dubro fuel tank behind the wing tube.

This thing should be a HOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will try to post a few photo's in the next few days.

I figured if these guys are running 1.40 to 1.80 YS and Saito 4C's on these things that the ST would be a perfect match. We shall see it a few days

Wayne Galligan

ORIGINAL: ICE_MAN

Tavis,
You're joking right?[] Tell me you've flown several "Reall" R/c planes... If not SHip that funtana to me and get a TRAINER! Also if you absoluely will not fly anything but this funtana you;d best take all that "Crap" off there and get here as light as you can so she goes down in 'style' rather than in a tip-stall

ANy who how come no one has mentioned the Super Tigre G 2300? It's 1.4 Ci and alot of people run them in Ultra Stick Lites around here and they pull them around smartly and rocket out of a hover.. I Think the guys I Talked to said theirs came In a 10.5 lbs dry...

I Just Got Mine setup and it weighs 9 lbs. dry! Just figured I'd toss another option at you!
Old 12-31-2004, 12:35 PM
ICE_MAN

Toymaker,
I'll be running the APC 18x6w

On a 9.5 pound plane It'll be awesome!

BTW the engine can pull an 18x10 prop!
Old 12-31-2004, 01:49 PM
TOYMAKER

Ice Man,

I have found that over 18x6 depending on the prop type can be just much for the engine with a can muffler. But that was on a 12.5 lb Hangar 9 Cap too so the size of aircraft may make a big diff also. With a tuned pipe ....well Hall Yes!!!!

I have three different props to try:

17x6 wood Zinger
18x6 wood Zinger
18x8W APC I think this might be to much prop but i have it ti o try so we shall see.

YEEEE HAAAA!!!!

Smooth Flying.................. errr Twist it UP!!! sorry this aint not pattern list.

WG :-)

ORIGINAL: ICE_MAN

Toymaker,
I'll be running the APC 18x6w

On a 9.5 pound plane It'll be awesome!

BTW the engine can pull an 18x10 prop!
Old 12-31-2004, 04:15 PM
Wowbagger

Been wanting a Funtana 90 for a while now but couldn't reconcile the cost of a big stroker. Then reading this thread I realised I have a ST G23 doing nothing. Had it in a 13.5 pound Little Toot biplane turning an 18 x 6, no probs; that's a running in prop for this engine. I reckon it'll swing a 20 x 6 carbon Mejlik (real slim blade). The manual recommends 18 x 8 to 18 x 10 so it should pull the 20 x 6 Mejlik (maybe...).

So let us know how yours make out on the G23 and I'll give it a go myself if you're successfull. Thanks for the idea guys!
Old 01-10-2005, 07:01 PM
TOYMAKER

Test flew the Funtana with the ST2300 and Perry/pump/carb combo yesterday and all I got to say is....hooooo haaaa! sweet combo.
I was rather surprised that I had to add weight the nose even with pull pull rudder. The initial test flight was a hand full as it was way tail heavy. I gues I didnt take in to consideration the 20oz fuel tank behind the wing tube. I added about 6 oz to the nose and used a 16 oz tank. All the fuel in a 16 oz tank that I need as you dont need much more then 1/3 to half throttle for most flying I could fly for over 12 min on about 10 oz. But go vertical WOT with the aileron rolled over hard and it will bore holes in the sky till you cant see it no more. I will move the throttle servo to the engine box and a std spinner backplate instead of the lightened one. The only thing I did to the tail to add weight was used one diamond wire bracing and added a few grams to the rudder strengthening it. The rudder needs to be bigger or I neeed a better servo. Otherwise it was a FUN airplane to fly.

ST2300 w/Perry pump/carb combo
SLimline Pitts style muffler
15% Cool Power
OS "F" plug
18X6 wood Zinger was the right prop

I will post photo's of the engine setup tonight.

Wayne G.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69718.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	213289   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45279.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	213290   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14419.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	213291   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41858.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	213292  
Old 01-10-2005, 07:11 PM
kolarshooter
My Feedback: (1)

Your weight and balance issue is just wild...I was able to balance a Super Tigre G-90 set-up by mounting a 1200 mA/h battery on a post next to the engine.

Interestingly enough...I didn't even have a chance to test-fly it before getting my hands on a SWEET Saito 150. The plane is on the Diningroom table as we speak (err, type) I'm having a heck of a time figuring out how to mount it far enough beck. The mounts I have won't let the motor slide back far enough.

Hmmm

Anyway, You've given me more inspiration!

Here's a pic that inspired the battery location idea...

Keep us posted. I'm really curious as to the longevity of our planes with twice the recommended power.
Attached Images  
Old 01-10-2005, 08:01 PM
George E.
My Feedback: (16)

Wayne,

What gear are you using to clear an 18" prop???

I finished my F90 with a GMS 1.20, perry pump (tank on CG) and APC 17x6 prop. Came in at 9lbs 4oz, the GMS and pitts muffler alone are 35oz so I guess I'm on target. After some initial trouble getting the GMS to run I have it tuned almost perfect on the ground. The throttle response is VERY good and it's swinging the APC 17x6 at 9,000 rpms rich after two tanks of fuel. I think it will be a great setup at a CHEAP price but I'll have to wait for a nice weekend to try it out [&o]

Only problem is the 17x6 is going to do some grass mowing I need some taller gear.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:08 AM
TOYMAKER

George,

I used a Bolly F3A wide c.f. gear. Had more then enough clearance and it gives me a little extra incase the landing is a little hard. This thing floats in so soft I dont think it will be an issue. Mine weighted 9lbs 12 oz. The Bolly gear is swept back but I had absolutley no problem with ground handling. The Bolly gear is very forgiving and has great shock absorbing qualities. I use this same gear is on my pattern planes that weight up to 11 lbs has sustained several hard landings.

Wayne

Name:	Zw69530.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	213586   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69920.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	213587   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd82460.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	213588   Click image for larger version

Name:	At54947.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	213589  
Old 01-11-2005, 11:16 AM
tetherite

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have a glass-filled nylon replacement gear that flexes, won't deform and gives extra prop clearance.
E-mail for details.
Ray
Old 01-11-2005, 11:32 AM
mikey-3d

ive just finished mine, it weighs 8ilbs 1oz with the evolution 100[8D] i ran a tank through the engine today but weather is soooo bad here have to wait till weekend now to fly it
Old 01-11-2005, 02:29 PM
George E.
My Feedback: (16)

How did you get 8lbs 1oz [sm=confused.gif]

I'm at 9lb 4oz with no wheel pants, no stock axles, mini battery pack, electron 6 receiver and standard servos except for a high torque digital on the rudder and a mini servo on the throttle. My GMS 120 is about 8 or 9 oz more than your evolution but we are still off by over a half pound???? I could see 8lbs with a Saito 100 but not the evolution.

How did you do it???????
Old 01-11-2005, 04:08 PM
TOYMAKER

I have the 1650 mil battery just behind the firewall. I put the throttle servo behind firewall last night. I may be trying to fly this thing too much like my pattern plane and not in a 3D c.g. mode. But with the more forward c.g. I am certianly enjoying it much more. It is more predictable like when I make those low inverted passes and the rolls and point rolls are much better. It stills needs a little more rudder so I am going to add about 3/4" on the back of the rudder and see how it works out.

Wayne

ORIGINAL: kolarshooter

Your weight and balance issue is just wild...I was able to balance a Super Tigre G-90 set-up by mounting a 1200 mA/h battery on a post next to the engine.

Interestingly enough...I didn't even have a chance to test-fly it before getting my hands on a SWEET Saito 150. The plane is on the Diningroom table as we speak (err, type) I'm having a heck of a time figuring out how to mount it far enough beck. The mounts I have won't let the motor slide back far enough.

Hmmm

Anyway, You've given me more inspiration!

Here's a pic that inspired the battery location idea...

Keep us posted. I'm really curious as to the longevity of our planes with twice the recommended power.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:02 PM
mikey-3d

ive just weighed it again and its bang on 8ilbs 1oz,ive built it exactly to spec with spats axles the lotthe evo is a light engine though the cg is further back than stated but only a inch so gonna fly it and see how we go.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:19 PM
ICE_MAN

Wayne, Sorry I haven't checked this post in a bit! Good to hear that the St G2300 pulled your funtana so well.. I'm having a host of problems with my field box equip. Starter and fuel pump quit.... So I haven't even broken in the engine yet. It's been run only 4 times for maybe 20 min. total. At only 9.5 Lbs. this thing should be awesome
Old 01-12-2005, 02:25 PM
TOYMAKER

ICE MAN,

You gotta get it built man its a blast with this engine.
I broke mine in on a test stand and ran about 1/2 gallon through it till it held a good idle. Whne you break it in run the first tank through very rich and do not run up to full throttle but vary the speed. On the second tank open to full throttle on a rich needle setting and slowly lean till it almost peaks then richen back up again. This will keep it plenty cool while setting the ring. My engine has nearly 350 flights on it from when it was in my pattern plane and it has the original ring and bearing. Mine came out at 9lbs 12 oz with the mods. I am going to add 1" to the rudder as I did think was effective enough.

Since I took these photo's I have put in pull/pull rudder and moved the throttle servo behind the firewall. I am using a 16 oz fuel tank behind the wing tube but I am also running a pump. If you are using the stock carb put the tank behind the firewall and go to this website www.rcaerobats.net for more info on the ST2300 and on www.rcaerobats.net/uniflow_tank_setup.htm link for the proper fuel tank setup. I now have only 2.5 oz of lead attached to the mount.

Wayne

Name:	Us53022.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	214144   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14465.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	214145   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66113.jpg
Views:	9