Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Iron Bay Fuel Regulator

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Iron Bay Fuel Regulator

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 10:38 AM
zeke-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Iron Bay Fuel Regulator

Does anyone know what is going on with Iron Bay. I ordred the fuel regulator from them four months ago and still have not received the item. I call and no one answers. Is anyone home or what. I need the fuel regulator for my pattern plane from Black Horse. Tank above engine centerline. No chance to lower the tank.[:@]
Old 01-03-2005, 05:00 PM
Hotrcair
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Iron Bay Fuel Regulator

I called them today. 1/3/05 They claim that they are shipping 1/4 or 1/5.
I will believe it when I see it/
Old 01-03-2005, 05:03 PM
Crash90
My Feedback: (17)

My LHS has them in stock. 1-570-668-2288.
Old 01-08-2005, 12:12 PM
Hotrcair
My Feedback: (1)

I call Iron Bay every Day. They are having flooding, (I checked wth the Chamber of Commerce) It is true.
I have my tracking number if Fedex ever picks up.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:05 PM
zeke-RCU

Have they had flooding for six months?????

Damn, sounds like a biblical flooding.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:18 AM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

I've been using Cline Regulators for years and like them alot. As far as I know they are still available. They're around $60 I think.
Does the Iron Bay offer advantages over the Cline?
Old 01-14-2005, 09:58 AM
gjeffers

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if there(iron bay) not there now then why wait? cline is there now and for a few extra dollars you can have a proven regulator that works great.
Old 01-14-2005, 01:43 PM
Fourthwind
My Feedback: (22)

The only advantage I see for the iron bay is that they have a metal case and tapped and threaded nipples for the fule lines. The Clines are plastic and work well, but from the pictures and specs, the iron bay regulaters look to be better.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:15 PM
gjeffers

looks dont mean anything!!!!! performance means everything and clines perform!!!! and clines are availible and ironbays are not. whats the argument again i dont understand??

gary
Old 01-14-2005, 08:33 PM
marks90004

ORIGINAL: gjeffers

looks dont mean anything!!!!! performance means everything and clines perform!!!! and clines are availible and ironbays are not. whats the argument again i dont understand??

gary
Hey Gary,

You told me about the Cline regulator before. I just ordered the perry pump, but someone told me that they had a real big problem with them. Would you recommend that Cline reg over the perry pump?
You've helped me with alot of advice in the past.
So thanks yet again.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:39 PM
gjeffers

hey mark, all i can tell you is what i do know for fact and that is ive been using a cline for about five monthes because i needed it for my ucd to get it to quit flooding and to put the tank over cg so it would 3d better. i learned all of this from all the guys that built ucd60s befere me and got the info from the ucd threads on here. the cline is expensive but as far as im concerned it is worth it, and it has proven to me to be a great fuel management system. i know nothing about the perry pump so i cant badmouth it, it may be a good system as well. but i would like to know what you heard bad about the cline so i can respond and maybe learn something.or was it the perry pump you heard something bad about?

Gary
Old 01-15-2005, 12:16 AM
marks90004

Actually, it was the perry pump that I heard bad things about.

I bought it after the fact when some vendor warned me about the perry pump.

I've yet to try it, so I don't know if it does or doesn't work well.

I'll let you know. But I haven't heard anything bad about the cline pump.

By the way, where did you get yours?
Old 01-15-2005, 11:13 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually any one of the Cline, Iron Bay, Perry pump can cause you problems. That's just the nature of the beast. They are small intricate devices that can trap debris and malfunction. And in the case of the Perry, it takes some tweeking from my experience. But once I richened the setting on the Perry it worked flawlessly. I had a Cline on it and something jammed the regulator diaphragm. Fuel kept leaking out since the needle could not seat. The engine would load up with fuel and was almost impossible to start and keep running. So you see, if you are not mechanically inclined or good at trouble shooting these things, they are best avoided. In my personal case, I think they make the engines run soooo much better, I'm willing to put up with the trouble. BTW, my Moki 1.80 with the Perry runs great. I will never go back to a non-pumped big glow engine. Remember that most gasoline engines use pumps so that should tell which one works better (a regulator or pump).

ORIGINAL: marks90004

Actually, it was the perry pump that I heard bad things about.

I bought it after the fact when some vendor warned me about the perry pump.

I've yet to try it, so I don't know if it does or doesn't work well.

I'll let you know. But I haven't heard anything bad about the cline pump.

By the way, where did you get yours?
Old 01-15-2005, 05:42 PM
marks90004

ORIGINAL: JoeAirPort

Actually any one of the Cline, Iron Bay, Perry pump can cause you problems. That's just the nature of the beast. They are small intricate devices that can trap debris and malfunction. And in the case of the Perry, it takes some tweeking from my experience. But once I richened the setting on the Perry it worked flawlessly. I had a Cline on it and something jammed the regulator diaphragm. Fuel kept leaking out since the needle could not seat. The engine would load up with fuel and was almost impossible to start and keep running. So you see, if you are not mechanically inclined or good at trouble shooting these things, they are best avoided. In my personal case, I think they make the engines run soooo much better, I'm willing to put up with the trouble. BTW, my Moki 1.80 with the Perry runs great. I will never go back to a non-pumped big glow engine. Remember that most gasoline engines use pumps so that should tell which one works better (a regulator or pump).
I'm glad to hear the perry pump works for you. I hope it works for me too.
Unfortunately, I'm not very mechanically inclined so I might run into trouble adjusting it.
I was told that I need to run a pump, because I plan to run a long fuel line to get the tank positioned over the CG.
I'm not familiar with gasoline engines. Do they have pumps or regulators?
Thanks.
Old 01-15-2005, 06:40 PM
JoeAirPort

Unfortunately, I'm not very mechanically inclined so I might run into trouble adjusting it.
I was told that I need to run a pump, because I plan to run a long fuel line to get the tank positioned over the CG.
Thanks.
What engine are you putting it on? For my Moki 1.80 it needed 2-3 full turns in (rich) to get it to run at all. There are three threads showing on mine right now. There used to be like 6 or so. Gasoline engines have pumps. If you want the tank that far back you'll need a pump. Once you get that pump dialed in it's good to go. Just start rich on the pump or it will barely start and won't transition without dying. That's what happened to me. Once you get the pump rich enough it doesn't seem to matter much if you go richer. The carb seems to control it from there.
Old 01-16-2005, 05:11 AM
marks90004

Thanks.
What engine are you putting it on? For my Moki 1.80 it needed 2-3 full turns in (rich) to get it to run at all. There are three threads showing on mine right now. There used to be like 6 or so. Gasoline engines have pumps. If you want the tank that far back you'll need a pump. Once you get that pump dialed in it's good to go. Just start rich on the pump or it will barely start and won't transition without dying. That's what happened to me. Once you get the pump rich enough it doesn't seem to matter much if you go richer. The carb seems to control it from there.

I've got it going into a Saito-100 in a Funtana .90 with the tank over the CG.
I'm still waiting for my pump in the mail.
Hopefully the instructions are clear enough to dial in the regulator.
So, rich is screwing it inward and leaning is unscrewing it outward, right?

Can you go too rich to the point where you stress the carb?
I don't know if this makes sense or is even possible.
Just thinking of all the possibilities of failure.
Thanks again.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:51 AM
bob_nj

There was a time when Perry(varsanne)(conley) was recommending a pump carb when using the glow pump. Are they still recommending this? The last time I used a Perry without a pump carb it didn't perform very well.
The other regulators such as Cline and Iron Bay are demand regulators and don't need any special carburetion.
Old 01-16-2005, 12:00 PM
JoeAirPort

Did you order the VP-20 since it's a 4-stroke engine? If so the VP-20 is opposite of the VP-30. The VP-20 you turn it out to richen it like the high end needle of carbs. On the VP-30 you turn it in to richen it. The link to the instructions is below for the VP-20 and VP-30.

http://www.perrypumps.com/VP-20%20and%20VP-22.pdf (VP-20 for 4 -strokes)

http://www.perrypumps.com/VP-30%20and%20VP-40.pdf (VP-30 for 2-strokes)

Thanks.

I've got it going into a Saito-100 in a Funtana .90 with the tank over the CG.
I'm still waiting for my pump in the mail.
Hopefully the instructions are clear enough to dial in the regulator.
So, rich is screwing it inward and leaning is unscrewing it outward, right?

Can you go too rich to the point where you stress the carb?
I don't know if this makes sense or is even possible.
Just thinking of all the possibilities of failure.
Thanks again.
Old 01-16-2005, 01:20 PM
marks90004

I actually bought the VP-30. I looked on a website with a schematic that uses the breather valve pressure from the crankcase of a Saito to supply power to the pump.

Here's the website in case you were wondering: http://saito-engines.info/body_pumps.html

Supposedly, that method works better than the oscillating version.

It also mentions that you have to "Tee" it from the breather to let access pressure out not needed by the perry pump.

So hopefully it works, otherwise I'll probably have to try it on my SuperTigre-90 on another plane.

By the way, did you have to drill your own hole for the backplate of your 2-stroke to get crankcase pressure? Or is that something that you can order directly from the manufacturer of the engine?

Thanks again.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:35 AM
zeke-RCU

I just receive my Iron Bay fuel regulator. I have made the regulator to the carborator as short as possible. I do not seem to be getting any fuel from it. Should I turn the needle valve inward to richen the mixture. Are there any adjustments inside the valve itself?[>:]
Old 01-17-2005, 09:45 AM
bob_nj

What are you doing to get fuel from it?

On a demand regulator like this one, you can pull the line from the carb with the engine running and fuel won't come out as there is little to no demand.

The Cline and Iron Bay are not pumps_bob
Old 01-17-2005, 05:52 PM
Cabane
My Feedback: (2)

Does anyone know if an Iron Bay is big enough to keep up with a ST3250?
Old 01-18-2005, 12:48 PM
zeke-RCU

I am getting fuel from a tank well above the center line of the OS 91 which is laying on its side.
Old 01-18-2005, 01:13 PM
bob_nj

I guess what I'm asking is, is there fuel siphoning throught the regulator while the plane is sitting on the bench with the fule line disconnected from the carb?
Old 01-19-2005, 02:09 PM
zeke-RCU

no

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.