Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Decal application question

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Decal application question

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 12:59 PM
Basement Troll
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decal application question

Hi, I was installing the decals on my Harrier 3D and I had read that if you spray windex on the surface before you put the decal on it will alow you to get all the bubbles out. I tried this but the adhesive for the decal went all cloudy and looked like crap. I ended up taking the big one off because they looked so bad. What did I do wrong? By the way it did allow me get the bubbles out. Is this technique only good for putting covering on? The plane looks good without the decals anyway but I would have liked to have done it properly.
Don
Old 01-03-2005, 01:06 PM
Flying Scotsman 70

Default RE: Decal application question

i prefer to use soapy water
Old 01-03-2005, 01:24 PM
PowerPlay
My Feedback: (11)

The same thing happened to me, very strange. However, I found that they cleared up after they dried. I would recommend using a mixture of a couple of drops af dishwashing soap in a spray bottle of water, instead of the windex. Although they will still cloud up with the soapy water.
Old 01-03-2005, 01:34 PM
Basement Troll
My Feedback: (3)

I'll try that next time PowerPlay. I'm afaid it's too late for mine though. Some days I'm not very patient and when it looked like crap I took them off and through them out. If the decals were solid colours it wouldn't matter. Oh well I guess mine will just be a bit dull until I can find something else to put on. I might maiden it today and see if it's still in one piece to put new decals on!
Don
Old 01-03-2005, 02:13 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One thing I noticed with a decal that was part clear on white covering is that the edges turn slightly blue. Like it got died the color of the Windex. Not sure why. Wasn't very noticable but I wish there were such thing as clear Windex. Otherwise it does work very good. Make sure to cut the corners off the decal and round them off. Also use clear Lustercoat on the edges to keep them from peeling off.
Old 01-03-2005, 02:32 PM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

Hmm I did that once with Windex and it worked fine. Maybe you notice the clouding more with trannsparent covering though?? Now I'm strictly vinyl and don't use that method.
Old 01-03-2005, 03:47 PM
gjeffers

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

windex works fine if you have a high quality covering. i dont know how you wiped it down but i always use paper towels to get the bubbles out, not credit cards. let it dry and it works fine!!