Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Fliton Extra 330 Freestyle Who's Got One?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Fliton Extra 330 Freestyle Who's Got One?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 06:48 AM
RCMustang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fliton Extra 330 Freestyle Who's Got One?

I used 4 packs of 3S Polyquest 2600s wired as 6S2P. First flight was probably 7 minutes and included some battery drain from a range check with the throttle up. Used about 2700 mah from the pack on that flight. Second flight was probably 8 or 9 minutes and I used about 3150 mah from the pack.

The packs worked great. They were warm to the touch when I came down. The only problem with this configuration is that it is a bit heavy. I'm going to also try a TP Prolite 6S2P pack (2 3S2P packs) as well. Each cell is a 2100. I'll post a weight difference later this week when I get them.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:33 AM
BoneDoc
My Feedback: (1)

do you "feel" the difference though between the two batteries?
Old 11-29-2005, 12:38 PM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RC Mustang - so what prop did you use and what RPM were you getting? I just got a quote on the Poly Quest 20C 3,300 mAh batteries ... I am gonna get them. I just ordered the X Power batteries by DualSky (www.dualsky.com) ... its really cheap but they are 3S2P 12C 4,500 mAh batteries. Hope they can hold up. Anyone tested to see how many amps their set up is pulling? Thanks!
Old 11-29-2005, 07:57 PM
RCMustang

@Josh: I haven't flown the Prolites yet so I can't tell you if they feel lighter. Earliest that test is possible is Sunday. I'll let you know 'cause I'm eager to find out. I'll post a weight difference.

@tIANci: I'm flying a 17x10 APC-E. Didn't tach out the motor yet with this prop. I honestly forgot. With that prop, and the AXI 4130/16 and the Jeti Opto 77, I got just over 1000W (1050 actually). I think I can do better because it was about 47 degrees F outside when I flew. Don't know the voltage or currents. I was only looking at watts on my Medusa power meter. I'm curious how this setup will compare with the Prolites.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:08 PM
rkutach

RC, funny you mentioned it, but I also used a laser level to align the pull pull system. the laser shoots a flat, horizontal beam from left to right and I did what I could to get it aligned with the servo and tail connector... looked inside the plane and the laser was very visable through the thin monokote skin... thought I was cool, but you stole my thunder... Russ
Old 11-30-2005, 08:16 AM
tIANci

Mustang - thanks for the info ... at least I now know that the 17x10 will only pull under 50A! Hehehee ... that means my DualSky batteries will hold up well as its got 54A easy ... the PolyQuest 20C 3,300 mAh batts will be great fun too.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:52 AM
BoneDoc

Mustang,

You'll LOVE the prolites. By far, they are the best weight to amp draw ratio. More importantly they hold their voltages well. So you'll notice that you'll be drawing more amps also.

Tianci, The 17x10 can draw up more than just 54A. it all depends on how good the battery will hold its voltage. The higher the voltage, the higher the amp draw (and overall power)
Old 11-30-2005, 07:22 PM
RCMustang

Thanks for the info BoneDoc. I'm looking forward to trying them. I think I'll be saving about 10 oz of weight at minimum between the existing pack setup and the Prolites. That alone should make a HUGE difference. If I get more power too, that will be icing on the cake.

I'll let you know...
Old 11-30-2005, 09:20 PM
BoneDoc

not "if", you *will* . Got my polyquest today!
Old 12-01-2005, 01:38 AM
tIANci

BoneDoc - I better go get my PQs too! I think I will only be running a 16x10 max, wanna keepthe amps below 50. Think mine will be up somewhere in January 2006.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:37 PM
rkutach

SURE, this plane is LIGHT... I havent flown mine yet, but should maiden it this weekend weather permitting... It seems like every time I handle it, some piece of balsa breaks or something... I guess with less weight comes a much more fragile aircraft... I think I need to do a little epoxying to some of the parts of the plane I use to handle it in order to reinforce the balsa...
Old 12-02-2005, 12:33 AM
STG
My Feedback: (26)

ORIGINAL: rkutach

SURE, this plane is LIGHT... I havent flown mine yet, but should maiden it this weekend weather permitting... It seems like every time I handle it, some piece of balsa breaks or something... I guess with less weight comes a much more fragile aircraft... I think I need to do a little epoxying to some of the parts of the plane I use to handle it in order to reinforce the balsa...
I used a lot of CA on the first one to get it to feel solid. The 2nd one did not need it but is a few oz heavier.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:22 AM
tIANci

I learnt to be gentle when I put together my first all balsa EP ARF, its a small one with a 400 sized motor, I used heck of a lot of CA! Anyone know if the stock UC will handle the 16" prop? Mine did not come with the EP UC ... if not I have to trade some spares with you guys!!!
Old 12-02-2005, 09:24 AM
STG

ORIGINAL: tIANci

I learnt to be gentle when I put together my first all balsa EP ARF, its a small one with a 400 sized motor, I used heck of a lot of CA! Anyone know if the stock UC will handle the 16" prop? Mine did not come with the EP UC ... if not I have to trade some spares with you guys!!!
Tainci, I think you are going to want the EP gear. I sent in for my set about 2 weeks ago and have herd nothing. I know Abell hobbies makes a set for this bird also. http://www.abellrc.com/ -- not listed but they told me in an email they do.

------------------------------------

The EXTRA E-conversion Duralumin landing gears have arrived. They will be included in ALL of the EXTRA's from here on out. So you get 2 sets (electric/gas) of landing gears. Large enough for 17" Prop Clearance! Email or fax us your address with a copy of your original purchase invoice. We'll ship it out free. [email protected] or (888)473-0856. (Due to the volume of calls we receive, emailing or faxing is appreciated).

Thank you for your patience. We work hard to make you happy!

*Additional costs may apply for international shipping.
*Limit 1 per customer/address. "

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_21...tm.htm#2193205
Old 12-02-2005, 11:18 AM
tIANci

Anyone here with a spare EP gear? I can trade for a pair of wings totally mint ... a CF tube ... or a canopy, hahahahaha
Old 12-02-2005, 12:43 PM
Ion01

Does any know if you can get the Fliton Extra 330 as a kit and not an ARF? How much? I have never built an airplane before and would really like to and appearantly this is an incredible airplane. Also, why is everyone so adiment about having such powerful engines in small planes? I have a Funtana 40 with an evolution .61 2stroke and it hovers right at half throttle, is incedibly stable in a hover, and has unlimited vertical. I am not trying to be condicending or anthing I just can't imagine why I would need more power than that for 3D manuevers. Any help or explination would be great as I am great at flying but, obviously having never even built a plane, don't know much about the physics involved in these types of aircraft and manuevers. Thanks.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:17 PM
STG

ORIGINAL: Ion01
Does any know if you can get the Fliton Extra 330 as a kit and not an ARF? How much? I have never built an airplane before and would really like to and appearantly this is an incredible airplane. Also, why is everyone so adiment about having such powerful engines in small planes? I have a Funtana 40 with an evolution .61 2stroke and it hovers right at half throttle, is incedibly stable in a hover, and has unlimited vertical. I am not trying to be condicending or anthing I just can't imagine why I would need more power than that for 3D manuevers. Any help or explination would be great as I am great at flying but, obviously having never even built a plane, don't know much about the physics involved in these types of aircraft and manuevers. Thanks.
Not everyone thinks it wise to put as much power in a 3D/IMAC plane as possible without adding more weight.

I, however, like to select a motor that puts out the best power to weight if it does not mean I am giving up much. For instance, if I was selecting a 2 stroke .61 case size motor that weighed ~ 24oz with muffler I would select a .91 over a .61 and pay an extra $30 to $50. The .91 would allow me to run a bigger prop (14 x6 or 15x6). I like the bigger prop for 3D and IMAC flying. While hovering and other stalled maneuvers the motor is at a lower rpm and much more enjoyable to the ears--with the increased prop wash the plane fly's better.

Your are happy with your performance. Can you give some specifics....

1) How heavy is your plane?

2) What Prop/rpm are you turning?

3) Are you flying at any elevation & on a Hot humid day are you still happy with your power?
Old 12-02-2005, 01:36 PM
Ion01

I don't know how much my plane wieghs or the rpm but I am running a 13x6 prop. I live in Oklahoma city so we are at 1260 feet above sea level. During the summer it is always hot and humid which didn't seem to cause any reliability problems but I did notice an increase in power during the fall when the humidity dropped and it cooled down.
So, it sounds like to me it is just an issue of getting more out of your money and trying to get as much out of the plane as possible. Am I right? Just the way everyone was talking about it I thought maybe I was missing something. I would like to get a good four stroke but I just bought a house so spare money is hard to come by.[] Maybe, if I can get it as a kit, by the time I finish it I will have the money for a good four stroker.
Another question, is a 15x6 prop going to produce significantly more life than a 13x6 or is it going to generate more prop wash for the low speed maneuvers?
Also, does a 13x6 generate more lift at low speed than say a 13x4?
Thanks again.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:40 PM
Ion01

*lift.......not life
Old 12-02-2005, 01:54 PM
STG

ORIGINAL: Ion01

I don't know how much my plane wieghs or the rpm but I am running a 13x6 prop. I live in Oklahoma city so we are at 1260 feet above sea level. During the summer it is always hot and humid which didn't seem to cause any reliability problems but I did notice an increase in power during the fall when the humidity dropped and it cooled down.
So, it sounds like to me it is just an issue of getting more out of your money and trying to get as much out of the plane as possible. Am I right? Just the way everyone was talking about it I thought maybe I was missing something. I would like to get a good four stroke but I just bought a house so spare money is hard to come by.[] Maybe, if I can get it as a kit, by the time I finish it I will have the money for a good four stroker.
Another question, is a 15x6 prop going to produce significantly more life than a 13x6 or is it going to generate more prop wash for the low speed maneuvers?
Also, does a 13x6 generate more lift at low speed than say a 13x4?
Thanks again.
Yes bigger seems better. See post #754

I have a 6 pound plane with a ST75 on it--got the motor as part of a trade cheap. The motor turns a MA plastic Scimitar 13 x6 about 10,500rpm. Power is fine, but not like you see with the DA150 on the 40% planes. I tried a 13x4 APC the other day and it just got louder--did not like it. Funny thing is that a 12x6 apc (@12,XXX) pulls just as good as the 13x6(@10,XXX), but it is much louder and not as enjoyable to fly.

I have the same experience with my Mini 3D & 25FX. 9x4apc pulls it just as good as 10x3apc. 10x3 is much more enjoyable because of the lower sound levels.

Does your F40/EV.61 pull from hover like this?

http://home.comcast.net/~ccrsfield/ss2.wmv

Old 12-02-2005, 02:09 PM
Ion01

My funtana pulls out with enough authority to keep me out of trouble and to look nice but the plane in that video pulled out like a rocket!! I have the Ultamite FX 3d with a outrunner motor and it jumps out of a hover like crazy. That would be crazy if the funtana pulled out like that.....thus the more powerful motors. Of course ultimately I want a 40% size plane. I am still pretty young so I have plenty of time for that. Thanks for your help.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:03 PM
u8racing
My Feedback: (9)

STG..... Do you think the 100 could turn a 16x8 Mejzlik carbon prop, do you have any thoughts on this......Pro's & Con's? Haven't had a chance to try the 16x4W APC yet, as you know the weather has sucked this week, so I'm not sure what the RPM's would be with an 8 pitch prop.

Pat
Old 12-02-2005, 10:13 PM
tIANci

The SA100 will not be happy with a 16x6 I doubt the 16x8 will be good, that's a lot of prop ... for the SA100. with a 15x6 I am getting about 9,750 on 30% nitro ... a 16x8 might bog you down to as low as 8,500 RPM even.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:22 PM
STG

ORIGINAL: u8racing
STG..... Do you think the 100 could turn a 16x8 Mejzlik carbon prop, do you have any thoughts on this......Pro's & Con's? Haven't had a chance to try the 16x4W APC yet, as you know the weather has sucked this week, so I'm not sure what the RPM's would be with an 8 pitch prop.
Pat
I think it was only turning 8,300 or so with the 16x5 zinger. I may have went to full throttle for 5 or 10 second bursts at most (kind of like 3Ding a foamy) so I was not to worried about the lower RPM. My guess is that I am pulling a good 10 to 11 pounds of thrust on a 6 pound plane and pull out can be very brisk. Notably better than with the 14" prop.

My guess is that the 16x8 Mejz will impose more load?

I think the 16x4W should turn closer to 9,000 RPM, but it weighs 2X as much as the wood props.

I made it out for a while last Sunday, but this weekend does not look so good.[:'(]

Old 12-03-2005, 01:52 AM
sknx
My Feedback: (4)

With an APC 15X6 I'm spinning 9200-9400 on 15% and measure it at almost 12 lb static thrust. It came by far the most efficient prop. At that time I had a Grauphner 14X6 I believe that was close to APC. With Zinger I was getting less than 1.5 lb ..same geometry as APC. Personally I did not like the 16x4 APC ... the throttle response was not very smooth. If you're interested I can look for data ... I measured like 8 props in a day ( RPM and static thrust).
The season in IL is quite over, unless you're eager to fly in 18 degrees F and 25Mph winds and my second Extra is close to retirement. I busted the landing gear a few weeks ago ( second time I panckaked this plane in 250 flights), repaired it , flew it but I want to break the record and order the third one next year. I would like to increase the rudder. This is my only major complaint about this plane, I cannot easy recover from torq roll if it side slips.

Boby

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.