Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 81 of 90 FirstFirst ... 31717980818283 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,025 of 2248

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Fliton Extra 330 Freestyle Who's Got One?

I have finally decided what elevator set-up I will use. I am going with a single servo and linking the elevator halves together with a carbon rod. I have some questions though. I see the triangle blocks in the corner of the elevator I assume I need to drill but I am not sure how far into the elevator halves I need to go? How close to the leading edge of the elevator should I drill, I can't get too close to the edge as I will interfere with the CA hinges. What keeps the rod from just turning in the opposite half? Once I get everything ready how do I get the rod in and the CA hinges?

As you can see at this point I have more questions than answers. Anyone out there that can help? Pictures would be great!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

All good questions which is why I personally did not go that way.

Also I felt the "Stiffy" carbon rod solution was more for smaller, lighter electric only planes....not high power 3D stuff.......as evidenced by the fact this "Product" (The stiffy) never made it to market that I could see.

Here are all the PICs of the stiffy I have, hope this helps, and you can always go with the Dave Brown pushrod......the same basic setup as stock, just a better rod for $8-$12

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xv64162.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	13.3 KB 
ID:	1067631   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wr54389.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	29.4 KB 
ID:	1067632   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yd82515.jpg 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	1067633   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ib82354.jpg 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	1067634   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Al72572.jpg 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	1067635  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hy34386.jpg 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	1067636  
    Nitro - Tom
    General R/C Addict

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, ......I did the single conversion by drilling and connecting the elevator halves with a 5mm carbon rod. The epoxy is drying as I type.

I first drilled each halve the same size as the rod but found out that with this tight fit there was no way to get the elevator halves to line of correctly. I re-drilled an over-size (6.5mm) hole and filled with epoxy. I am hoping the epoxy fills the gaps and grips the rod well enough. The carbon rod is 5" long and penetrate both triangle blocks 2", this is a lot of surface area so I think the epoxy should hold well.

Now I need to make the decision on where to place the elevator servo? I am having a hard time justify cutting the fuselage when there is already a perfectly good servo tray with a couple of empty slots. Any reason to place it at the rear instead of in the servo tray?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Blazer1

Now I need to make the decision on where to place the elevator servo? I am having a hard time justify cutting the fuselage when there is already a perfectly good servo tray with a couple of empty slots. Any reason to place it at the rear instead of in the servo tray?

I put the servo in the tail just to keep the rods short mainly. I would think the tray would be ok. There should be plenty of room to move the battery around if balance issues occur.
    PRO BRO #2567

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think I will put the servo in the tray and use quality rods to minimize deflection. I will be using a Satio 82 for power so I don't think I will have a problem with it being nose heavy, even with the servo in the stock location. Is this correct or will I need the elevator servo in the rear of the fuselage for balance?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

With the Saito 82 you can have the elevator servo in the stock position. Any fine tuning of your balance can be done with your RX batt placement.
    Its nice to be important, but its more important to be nice ...
    Revver Brotherhood No. 232

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A little delayed on this response, but I just read your post. As far as the Aeroworks edge 540 VS the Fliton Extra 330. I have both, but have not finished the extra yet. I'm retiring the edge and putting the Saito 100 on the extra. It's going to be extremely hard for this to be a better plane than the edge. The edge is really the best plane this size I have ever flown. Mine is just pain wore out. Easily 100 + hardcore, you shouldnt do that to your plane, 3D flights, and too many crash repairs. If this plane even comes close I'll be a happy camper, and all the reviews seem to say it will be better. Specs tend to agree as well. Unfortunately the quality of Aeroworks is seen nowhere in this fliton kit (mainly refering to hardware) or customer service. Of course there seems to be no customer support for fliton. There were parts missing from my kit, and I got no response to 5 emails, never got through on the phone. It was all hardware, which I replaced, but thats not the point. However, the plane looks so good, when you open the box you can overlook this. Lets hope the flight is as good.

I am not going to use the "Y" for elevators. Going to put 2 servos in the tail.

1st thing I did, was to throw the CA hinges in the trash. They will not hold up long to hardcore 3D in this plane.
    It was a glitch, a technical malfunction! Why wont anybody believe me?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have my Fliton Extra 330 Freestyle completed except for the engine, Santa is bringing me a Saito 82! Yes, even being a grown man with children I still believe in Santa. If I had it to do over again I would not buy a Fliton product! yes, the plane is beautiful and flies great(from what I hear) but there are to many arf companies out there giving quality product support it is unfair to not support them. My arf was missing much of the hardware and what was there was incorrect. My canopy was damaged and a couple of weeks ago I ordered a new one from the Fliton store, it looks like I will not get the canopy or the money back. If you search you will find many people complaining about this very issue. So, I have a new Fliton Extra 330 that I may never get to fly because I can't find a canopy. I only blame myself for not researching Fliton before I ordered the plane.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You can get your canapy from Advantage Hobby on Dec 30th they are due in stock for $5

FLNEXTCNP033

http://www.advantagehobby.com

Hope they are going to put an end to the poor service issues with Fliton and give this awesome plane a home we can count on...they seem to be stocking parts and I have a fiberglass cowl and an entire Kit on backorder with them, so we will see.

In the mean time I gave up on Fliton like the rest of you and got this seagull models edge 540 and it flys nice....but I will wait for another Extra 330S and the parts so after repair I will have 2......one that files, and one part machine....Or I may set one up for pattern and the other for 3D?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nl29193.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	1081704  
    Nitro - Tom
    General R/C Addict

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm still reading through the pages, but what seems to be the winning method for securing the hatch? Thanks, Jim.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Rare earth magnets glued in each corner seem to be a popular and simple solution for securing the hatch. I have yet to attach mine but I think that is the method I will use. I also read about using a rubber band from the inside pulling down on the hatch, look through the Pulse XT 60 thread, it was listed as a solution for holding the hatch on that plane.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It is looking like magnets, or the dubro latches. I have some EP plane carcus's I can salvage the magnets from. Thanks.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Does anyone with the inverted Saito 100 install have a template for the firewall mount bolts, or know where I can get one? I made a template from my Aeroworks edge 540, but it comes with a slotted engine mount (adjustable), and the holes are too close together for the extras mounts. I would just use the adjustable mounts, but they are kinda worn, and starting to distort. Plus the edge wasnt an exact side mount, its between sidemount and inverted. Cant get it to line up with that template. Thanks, Jim.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

DOH! Just noticed the mark on the engine mounts that is in line with the crankshaft. Got a template made, so disregard.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jimeni ... with a SA100 remember to reinforce the firewall. I am pretty sure you will be beaming from ear to ear when you fly that baby. I seen her fly on that engine and the power is spectacular!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks. I've also discovered Vess sport props are incredible. I have an 18x6 on a 26cc gas engine. They are almost silent, dont cavitate when hovering, lite, and spool up fast. Going to put a 15x6 on the 100, should rock. I was beaming when I took it out of the box and put the wings on it. Check the props out at http://www.eastrc.org/shop.cgi/page=...30901930.18396 they are very nice looking props too, pictures dont do them justice.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jimeni ... the Vess props look interesting! Anyways, something crossed my mind ... how about anti vibration mounts? Those with the isolators against the firewall? Would that be good to reduce the vibration of the SA100? I doubt I can move on mine soon, got other projects to work on first.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm going to try the stock mounts 1st. I had the 100 in a similar size and weight Aeroworks edge 540, it did just fine. I balance my props to where they will stay in place at all clock positions, takes a while, but makes a huge difference. I also balance the spinner, contrary to advertisements, Tru-Turns are nowhere near balanced from the factory. Maybe its the balancing of spinner and prop, but the 100 really doesnt have alot of vibration, seems to me. The anti vibration mounts are nice, but boy are they heavy. I really appreciate your input, I still have alot to learn, keep the ideas coming. Thanks.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jimeni ... I got this bad habit of NOT balancing my props, time to really buck up. I can hear my EP props fluttering at times. Better go buy a prop balancer today.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I didnt use to balance EP props either, until I had the whole front end of a foamie Yak come off, in flight. Wasnt the firewall either, came off at the wing leading edge. It was actually pretty cool looking to watch though. Too bad there was no fire

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I set one EP plane on fire before, it was interesting. Had a crash, did not throttle off, so the ESC cooks. As I walked over, a little smoke comes out, then more and people were shouting. When I got there the flames just started. Luckily, the firewall broke so I kicked and stamped till it broke off completely.

I am off to the LHS now, time to get the prop balancer! Have agood weekend flying and building!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Unless I am reading wrong this is a must have kit?
    smooth as silk!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Have not flown mine yet, but sounds that way.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: krayzc-RCU

I really like mine. I hope to never totaly destroy it. Very agile, and smooth to fly.
    PRO BRO #2567

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: krayzc-RCU

Yeah ... no kidding ... its really great to fly. It really is that good for a 40 sized aerobatic plane. There is not much to sort out, maybe if you are fussy then some of the hardware only. Its one of the best I have flown, planes like the Funtana 90, Funtana 40 cannot come close to it. She flies smooth, goes where you point her, no real nasty habits, light enough and you can swear she will KE with almost NO coupling if you get the set up/CG right.

If not for my Sebart Angel, I would have built my Extra, both are about the same so no point getting it up yet.

Page 81 of 90 FirstFirst ... 31717980818283 ... LastLast