Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

.46 plane/engine combos. please help

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

.46 plane/engine combos. please help

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 10:21 AM
tripxrcer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default .46 plane/engine combos. please help

Hi all

Ive been flying electric 3d planes for a wile but when i moved to glow planes i stoped doing 3d. Id like a plane/engine combo that is not extreme but has a good thrust/weight and has good vertical.

What .46 sized plane and engine would you recamend. What engine can i put on a U CAN DO or a TWIST to get "like electric" verticals.

Thanks

Alex
Old 01-31-2005, 10:51 AM
lynnpreston

Default RE: .46 plane/engine combos. please help

Alex,

I recently switched (back) from electrics to glow, so I know where you're coming from. I recommend:

1.) A 4-stroke to get the immediate throttle response you're accustomed to with electrics
2.) A .90-sized engine to get true vertical performance.

For 3D, forget all the supposed "recommeded" engine sizes. The weight increase is nominal since most .91 4-strokes are in the 24 oz range. I personally run a .91 Magnum 4-stroke on my Twist and absolutely love it. 15x4 prop and 20% Heli fuel. Some guys will tell you that their .46 2-stroke will hover their plane at "half-throttle". Well, they must be putting some magic dust in their fuel - or maybe I wasn't holding my mouth right when I tried that on mine.

The airframe can handle a .91 fine, just don't prop the thing to go 120 mph. I don't even see my 91 powered Twist as "overpowered". When I get in trouble during a tail-slide and go to full throttle to pull out, I think, "hmmm, that's about right". I have NEVER said, "wow, you know, that vertical pull-out was just TOO fast, I'd better get a smaller engine".

As far as planes go, I love my Twist, but the U-can-do is probably the better of the two (from what I've read).
Old 01-31-2005, 11:07 AM
ghee-grose

I will second lynnpreston. I HAVE a Twist with a .46 on it and I don't have the power to do 3D like with my electrics. I hover at about 95% throttle...that don't leave much! [X(]

If you can handle the cost of the 4 stroke you will thank yourself later when you're torque rolling on the deck with 50% or less throttle. Tell him lynn!
Old 01-31-2005, 11:15 AM
lynnpreston

LOL, thanks for the support ghee-grose. Glad to see you don't have engine sensitivity. I started with an EVO .46 on my Twist. I was in denial for a while - claiming that my plane had "plenty of power, thank you very much". Finally . . . I realized I had a problem. I had engine envy. After some therapy in the form of Ebay, I was cured by a .91 Magnum. The first step is admitting you have a problem
Old 01-31-2005, 11:16 AM
tripp3d

I will 3rd Lynn, I had OS 50SX on a twist for a while and ended up replacing it with an Evolution 100. That might be a little extreme but I think a 61 or .75 size motor would be a good 2 stroke choice. For all out power and a better flying experience 4 stroke is the only way to go.
Old 01-31-2005, 11:50 AM
raideron
My Feedback: (1)

tripxrcer... 3Ding does require more thrust.... And I'm sure the 91 4c
will give you a "lot" of thrust... But I think on the twist a Saito 72 or 82a
4c will work fine... and its a bit lighter, another great option for 3D... For
the UCD 46... The 91 4c would be great.. I just got UCD 46, but it's
powered with the YS63 4c... No flight time yet, But soon I'll be able to
see if it's enough... If not, it will be replaced with the Mag 91 4c..
Old 01-31-2005, 07:06 PM
tripxrcer

Thanks guys,

The price of the engine is not to big of a deal, With all the money ive spent on this hobby a little more wont kill me, But wile we are talking about money how much more are the 4 strokers?

Do 4 strokers live as long as 2 strokes

Are they easyer-harder to tune?

A .90 four stroke sounds like a good option, I just love how my brushless motor yanks my electric planes vertical and i was wondering if this was possiable with a glow plane. Dose the added weight cause more tipping problems or is it hardly noticable?

With the airframe i think im ganna go with the UCANDO, Ive herd they have super week tails? is that a mith or true?

Thanks!

ALEX
Old 01-31-2005, 07:50 PM
skyhawk172n
My Feedback: (3)

I fly a H9 Pizazz w/YS63. I love this combo, especially the YS. Before, I had an OS46w/pump and pipe and never really liked the combo. With the 63 and an APC 13-4W, I hover at about 1/3 throttle and can do vertical rolls high enough that it doesn't matter any more Couldn't ask for better IMHO.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:17 PM
tripxrcer

Yes i like YS, What dose a 63 go for?

What do you think of this engine? Under powered, errr not enough over power?"

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXXA42&P=0

I cant seem to find a magnum 91. Also, are 4 strokes very fragile? i dont want a crash from low TRs to break more than the plane...

ALEX
Old 01-31-2005, 08:19 PM
tripxrcer

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGTG7&P=0

Oops i found it... Exspencive, but ive herd good things about YS... seems complicated to tune
Old 02-01-2005, 09:40 AM
tripxrcer

Will the .91 engines do the same for the 60 sized UCANDO>? I am looking into this plane aswell. I have servos strong enogh.

If i went to the 60 sized what engine would you recamend?

Thanks

Alex
Old 02-01-2005, 10:25 AM
lynnpreston

The .91 would probably still do OK on the 60, but I'd personally go with a Magnum 1.20 or a Saito 1.50 or 1.80. The Saitos weigh around 31 oz (same as most 1.20's) and put out more power. They are a bit pricey at $350 - $400, but you asked I've got a Saito 1.50 on my .60 Bipe that I haven't been able to fly yet. Should be able to pull stumps.

I'll wait for the "that's way too much motor" responses.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:47 AM
tripxrcer

o well ion that case ill stay with the .46 plane for a wile