Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

DP Extra 330L Maiden Flight (Full Report)

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

DP Extra 330L Maiden Flight (Full Report)

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 02:26 PM
desertrider49
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DP Extra 330L Maiden Flight (Full Report)

mrc100

I just bought the plane, reading literature and info. on the D.P. wedsite, says the moki 2.1 is too big. What did your's take to balance, etc.

Thanks

Desertrider49
Old 04-07-2004, 05:15 PM
mrc100
My Feedback: (4)

DesertRider49,

I mounted a 1500mAh 5cell battery on the side of the engine box and all was good in terms of balance. My understanding is that the newer versions have a wing tube that is aft a bit more making balance less of a problem with lighter engines. Remeber I had like the first on off the line (it's an exageration, but it was very very early). I would have actually used a smaller battery, but I needed a bit of weight and figured the oversized battery added flying time. Couple of suggestions - Only my opinion - I would only use metal geared servos, 100+ oz on the wings (preferrably more torque), also do not exceed a 8" pitch prop. Reinforce the mounting tabs in the wing with epoxy and glass so the tabs don't break loose. Oh another suggestion that you probably already know - use locktite on the servo screws when using metal geared servos...they will vibrate out otherwise.

Good luck,
Mike
Old 04-26-2004, 03:24 PM
RC_DESI
My Feedback: (44)

Update: Well, after few email/ & conversations with Dave Patrick, it seems that the crash/flutter was a result of me partially not using the manufacturer supplied hardware, using inadequate servos & using a larger engine than the recommended size.

I am very pleased with DPM customer support as they could have easily ignored calls/not accepted any responsibility (as I was deviating from manufacturer specs etc) & not done anything about it. Dave responded to emails/calls pretty effectively & provided much insight/details into the reasons etc.

DPM has agreed to supply the replacement parts at a discounted rate/cost & I've placed the order. Will be buying good/digital servos & sticking to stock hardware etc. :-)

I hope Version2 lasts longer !!!!

--Arvind
Old 06-20-2004, 07:55 PM
dp extra350

Congrats on a good flight... I too have a DP300L w/ a os1.6 and not a flutter one, used all the hardware supplied and opt'd for the carbon main and tail gear... will be putting a DA50 in it soon as the Vertical is not there with the OS1.6. and the APC 16x10 or the Mej 17x8, but it will be witht the mej 22x8. You guys with a Gasser in yours could you give me some pointers on set up and install with mine..pics would be great too of the engine and interior areas.

Thanks
I will have to get a pic of mine on the site soon.

[email protected]
Old 06-20-2004, 08:21 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One servo per aileron is plenty - -did a few of the H9 33% models converted to one servo
The problem is when using one servo and huge arms -which can kill torque and resolution - IF the max servo rotation is not employed for regular deflection flying.
However - for sheer simplicity, use two, 811 JR on each aileron and reduce total aileron travel a bit .
You won't notice any real change in roll ,yet the plane will still be crisp and responsive.
I just finished -and have been flying a H9 330 with two 8411's in each aileron. Also just finished a H9 33% Cap and used 811 servos
Can I tell the diffeence? sure but for all practical effect, the 811's are fine.
If the ailerons are flimsy - use two small DIGITAL servos .
Th DP model is quite a bit smaller .
Even the original H9 plane was fine with one servo -provided the servo and linkage were good and the throw was not maxed out.
Many fliers have not grasped this relationship --so H9 went to two servos to minimize further problems.