Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Genesis pattern plane

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Genesis pattern plane

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 08:34 PM
sm00thflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Genesis pattern plane

Yo Andrew wasup man...just chillin in South Bend, IN on a 19hr layover thought i'd say hey...Genesis looks sweet dude...hopefully i can hit up Toledo with ya, according to the April bids i got the weekends off. Parents are in Michigan so we should def. hit up some dinner action one night...i'll cya soon foo
Old 03-20-2005, 11:52 PM
flyboy91
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Pete,

Sounds like fun in South Bend. Yea, your parents dropped off the cap today at the house. It is downstairs next to the extra. I am trying to get the time off work to go out and get some dinner with you and your parents. Call me when you get back into town.

Andrew
Old 03-21-2005, 02:33 PM
F3AFlyer7

Andrew:

Thanks a bunch for the Yak everything looks great! I started thinking about putting an os 1.60 in it but decided to go with the lighter setup, so I'm goin for the Sport. Also tell your Dad I said thanks for showin us all the planes. Everything looks great!

C-yaz in Toledo.

Old 03-28-2005, 10:22 PM
toddblose
My Feedback: (10)

let me know when you test fly the Genesis, found out today I should have mine
by the end of the week
Old 04-24-2005, 02:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi,
The Genesis is a really nice looking bird... Just wonder about some few things about it;

Is it all-painted (wing, horizotal stab) ?

What kind of materials are used in the build-up ?

hmm ... my Impact is ready to test-flight, and i am already looking for my next bird

Kjell Olav
Old 04-24-2005, 10:01 PM
flyboy91

kjell,

The airplane is very nice. I am still working on it just about done. The wings are not painted but covered. It is very good quality. On the build up it is fiberglass in the fuse. The wings are foam sheeted balsa. If you have anymore questions please feel free to ask.

Andrew
Old 05-09-2005, 10:10 AM
fonzie72

Hi Andrew,
Have you flown Genesis?? which is the better CG that you have verified?Thanks in advance alfo Italy
Old 06-07-2005, 09:29 AM
swk551

I plan to order an electric version Genesis. I am using the Hacker C50 14XL motor and TP 6000 10s3p Gen II Light batteries. I would appreciate if someone would advise their final weights of their electric Genesis. Also please post some pictures of your battery, motor and elevator set-ups. I could use some fresh ideas.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 06-14-2005, 11:52 PM
Passport1
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all congrats to Andrew on pulling off a win a the XFC. I know what went on there behind the scenes and I can imagine how you (he) must of felt. A mutual friend of ours told me you just turned your hat around and went out and flew your *** off. That was fairly obvious from the results. Even though I have seen you fly just a few times, I have known from the beginning you have the talent and ability to go as far as you want in this hobby. With that said, I also will tell you the same thing that someone (Ivan Christiansen)who I still respect very much, to this day, said to me after I won FAI for the first time in 1984. He said "Its lonely at the top" and he was speaking from experience. Being 12 at the time and seeing as how none of my friends that were my age flew that saying didn't really apply until I was about your age. That is when I started hangin out with fellow competitors and honestly considered them my friends.

However as you will soon see when you are constantly finishing ahead of them it becomes very hard for most people to take, and then all of the sudden you realize every single person that is in your class is out for only one thing, and that is to beat you. That can make for some long contests, but looking at it from this perspective has really made things like Toledo(for me) a peice of cake. The way I look at it now is, competition flying is like a job and you may not always like your work. However by being successful in competition(job) you then get the benefits(FUN) of doing things like demos in Antigua, Brazil, Japan and so on, all expenses paid. That makes it all well worth it, not to mention all the awesome and different people that you will meet along the way.

You know what I think about you, and where I stand on most things, so be sure to let me know if there is anything I can ever do to help. Also, you can't please everyone all the time no matter how much you would like to, but you don't have to take no s--- from people either. Keep up the hard work, cause your gonna need to BRING IT if you want the NATS too <G>.

Since going electric I feel bourne again and am LOVIN F3A. Other then the 5 minute wing change after my midair in Vegas, I have done zero maintance on my Genesi and that includes wipen it off<LOL> 2 flights in the morning 2 in the afternoon day in and day out like clockwork.

By the way your real friends, like Jones and Pete, you better not ever let anything come between you because they are far and few between. You are lucky to have them.

Any how guys I am sorry for getting off subject, I was just gonna post some pics of how we are rigging the Genesis, as well as let every one know the weights I have been seeing. The glow version is anywhere from 10lbs 2ounces to 10lbs 6 ounces depending on setup and the EP version (with carbon tubes and the 5300 mah packs) is coming in right at 10 pounds 10 ounces to 10 3/4. Thats with a 90 controller and you can save an additional 2 oz if you go with the 77, like I am using in Scandalous. I thought I had pics on my laptop but I do not so I will put them up tomorrow.

Congrats one last time on the XFC and I look forward to flying with you soon.

DV

ORIGINAL: swk551

I plan to order an electric version Genesis. I am using the Hacker C50 14XL motor and TP 6000 10s3p Gen II Light batteries. I would appreciate if someone would advise their final weights of their electric Genesis. Also please post some pictures of your battery, motor and elevator set-ups. I could use some fresh ideas.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 06-15-2005, 10:24 PM
flyboy91

Chip,

Thanks for the kind words this is a first for me being on top in the group that I flew in. I do know what you mean about people wanting to win just from watching. I still take this hobby as just that a hobby so I hope it will stay the same for a while. I wish you could have made it out there it would have been a good time.

On the F3A I have desire to win and we will see how it goes. I know what you mean about flying the electrics its brings another element to flying that I have not had in a while just something exciting.

Speaking of the Genesis. I have been flying petes a little bit and man this thing is sweet I really like it. Flys awesome is so true with very little mixing. Do you know when pete will get his others so I can be ready to build.

Andrew Jesky
Old 06-18-2005, 09:55 AM
swk550
My Feedback: (76)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I am on the Central Hobbies waiting list for a Genesis. Can anyone tell me the final weight of your Electirc Genesis. I plan on using the Hacker C50 14XL motor and the TP 6000 5s3p Gen II lite batteries.

Regards,

Steve
Old 06-19-2005, 12:46 AM
sm00thflyer

Steve,

My Electric Genesis is currently right at 11 lbs. I'm running the C50 14XL motor from Hacker with an APC 22x12 prop. ThunderPower has recently designed the 5300mah battery packs that Chip mentioned in his setup. Compared to the TP 6000's, they have a little more punch with as much flight time and you save 5oz. I fly one FAI sequence then land to keep charging to a minimum, but you could easily fly them 12min. if you wanted.

To help save weight on my new Genesis', I'm using a PBG carbon wingtube along with a carbon stabtube from PAC. I believe the lastest Genesis kit will come with carbon landing gear designed with electric in mind. Using aluminum screws wherever possible is also an option to reduce weight plus aluminum axles for the landing gear. Central Hobbies offers the MK tailwheel assembly that saves about 1/2oz from most others. With these enhancements, the Genesis will be well under 11 lbs with unbelievable power.

If anyone else has some ideas let me know.

Later,
Old 06-27-2005, 06:35 AM
cft1

I hand some feedback saying that there might be a problem with the structural integrity of te Genesis around the large canopy area. Is it possible that this was on teheearly kits and has been fixed? Any comment. Thanks
Old 06-27-2005, 11:46 PM
sm00thflyer

I've got about 75 flights on my prototype Genesis. It's holding up great and flying awesome. The large canopy and chin-cowl is perfect for easy-access to equipment, especially the speed controller and batteries. Electric motors reduce vibration and eliminate a lot of structural problems on most designs.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:52 AM
cft1

Thanks for reply Pete

I plan on using an OS140 on mine. Do you perhaps have tips/proposals on some mods necessary when installing equipment/setting up? Preferred CG location? etc

Regards

Chris
Old 06-30-2005, 02:56 PM
sm00thflyer

Chris,

I ran the OS 140 the last five years in my pattern planes. It will definitely have enough power to pull the Genesis. Since you're planning on running glow, you shouldn't have any issues with prop clearance. With the Electric setup, a longer landing gear is required unless you are running a 4 blade prop. The latest Genesis kits are coming with carbon fiber landing gear that will give enough clearance for a 22" prop. With the OS 140, I'd suggest running an APC 17x12 or possibly a 17x13.

In regards to equipment installation and CG, many of the planes are generally on the tail heavy side. So with that in mind, you may want to put mount your receiver and RX battery pack more "forward" than aft inside the fuse. I would still mount the fuel tank on the CG. On mine the CG is about a 1/4" infront of the wingtube. I'm running all digitals with Futaba 9550's on the ailerons, 9351 on rudder, and 9650s on each elevator half. I believe Chip Hyde ran one elevator servo on his and mounted it near the pull-pull rudder servo to avoid an aft CG with two servos in each stab. I didn't find the need to do so.

Do you have your Genesis yet? When you start setting up your radio and throws etc. let me know and I can give you my control throws and anything else you want to know. Hope this helps.

P.S. My uncle was from South Africa, but he died about 2 years ago.
Old 07-02-2005, 10:59 AM
swk550
My Feedback: (76)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I noticed Chip and Todd Blose were using two (I believe) APC-e props in an X configuration with the Hacker C50-14XL motor. What were the sizes of the two props? I would like to try them out on my Hacker motor.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 07-03-2005, 12:16 PM
cft1

Hi Pete

Kits should arrive within the next two week - I am getting a deluxe (Painted and setup) version- Will contact you direct for more details. Untill later!

Chris
Old 07-04-2005, 11:49 AM
sm00thflyer

Steve,

The intent of the 4 blade X prop was to increase the efficiency of each blade. I can't remember the exact size prop Chip had on his. It wouldn't be anymore than about a 18-19" blade. It's quieter on the ground when you run it up. In the air it really didn't sound a lot quieter, and it doesn't have as much performance as the 2 blade setup. Not the best prop for windy conditions, but it looks cool!

Sounds good Chris.

Later

Old 09-13-2005, 03:43 PM
Stuart Chale

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Does anyone have any updated information on the Genesis? Any problems since building or flying?

Anyone have any direct comparisons with the Impact? I have been looking at both and the long thread here on RCU covers the Impact pretty well. Definately a few concerns from reading the thread although obvioulsy many have had good success with it.

There is a significant cost difference, for those who have experience with both is the quality/prefabrication worth the difference (in your opinion)?

Thanks,
Stuart C
Old 09-15-2005, 08:34 AM
darren s
My Feedback: (3)

where is the best place to get a Genesis ARC ?

thanks
Old 09-15-2005, 10:00 AM
flyboy91

I would think that you could get the genesis arc at central hobbies or call chip direct.

Andrew
Old 09-28-2005, 03:39 PM
rgreen24
My Feedback: (6)

Hey Andrew how hard would be to take all the covering off the top of the wing and stab and leave the white?

Thanks
Old 09-28-2005, 07:52 PM
flyboy91

I dont think it would be that hard. I think with a heat gun and some careful work you could do it.

Andrew
Old 09-28-2005, 09:15 PM
rgreen24
My Feedback: (6)

Thanks for the info. I am getting two of them and i would like to put my own scheme on the wing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.