Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Seagull - Harrier .46 Anyone had any experience?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Seagull - Harrier .46 Anyone had any experience?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 02:29 PM
DragonHeart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Seagull - Harrier .46 Anyone had any experience?

Hi Guys,

Have one in the box ready to be built..............

What do u guys think about using a West EuroTech .50.T1 with a Genesis Tuned Pipe in this Harrier, as i have one lying around... ???

The West .50 T1 offers greater torque turning an APC 13x4W prop at 12000 rpm on Prosynth 10% fuel <------ from thier website

Or would u suggest a Fourstroke ?

Attached Images  
Old 07-03-2005, 02:31 PM
smartmove

ORIGINAL: Not24

This plane is a keeper! Flies great on the K&B 61 and a 12-6 apc. Has plenty of power to weight for good pullout, harriers extremely well, and lands at walking speed. Knife edge has coupling that I haven't figured out yet. I had some tucking in a power off dive that was fixed by raising the ailerons 4 clicks each. It was windy, so hovering was a little tricky, but it really did well. When you compare this plane to the Funtana 90, you'll throw rocks at the Funtana. I'm glad I went this route rather than the Funtana 40. It is a great plane to teach yourself 3D with. The only adjustments I need to make are to add some right thrust and nudge the cg back just a little. Other than that, she's perfect! Get one today!

Can you tell I like this plane?
Are you running the manuals stated CG at the moment?
Old 07-03-2005, 02:32 PM
smartmove

The West will be plenty of power for the Harrier 46 but the 4 stroke is always handy in the low end when prop hanging etc.
Old 07-03-2005, 09:04 PM
Not24
My Feedback: (1)

The cg range is very small in the manual, only 1/2 inch or so. The way I balanced it was by putting my fingers between the marks. When doing this, it was a little nose heavy. I had my battery under the forward wing tube, and now I am going to move it to the rear of the cockpit. That should move it maybe 1/4" further back. I did not check cg with the tank full, but it is obviously more stable in the beginning of a run than at the end. The thing I like about it is that it doesn't hunt on landing. As for the upright and inverted test of cg, it needs just a touch of down while inverted with a full tank, but none with a near empty tank. I'm running an 8 oz tank from another plane, rather than the one supplied in the kit. I didn't want to mess with the three line system for simplicity's sake. As for the two vs. four stroke deal, I really don't see the difference in performance when using engines this small. I think the 2 strokes may make more power for their weight anything less than 90 size, depending on the engine, of course. I flew my friends Somethin Extra today with a Saito 65, and it had identical performance to my K&B 61 powered one, but it was heavier. They do sound cool, though, and I'm sure someday i'll own a few.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:58 PM
pecker18

Does one have to mount the motor upsidedown in the harrier?
Old 07-16-2005, 01:24 AM
oldbloke

As supplied the firewall is already drilled for the adjustable [ width ] engine mounts and is configured for an inverted engine. No probs with fitting or running my YS 63 FZs
Old 08-04-2005, 08:42 PM
MUG43

Hi all.well after reading your form i ordered the seagull .46. has anyone tried a .61 2 stroke in this bird????.
Old 08-05-2005, 04:43 PM
Not24

Yes. Check out the thread that reads Harrier 46 all right and read all about it.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:28 PM
analog_boy

this airplane kicks ass
Old 09-14-2005, 01:00 AM
choopi

Guys,

I just but a Harrier .46 this week, such a good quality plane!

What do you think about using a GMS .76?

It look like a very good plane, so small.

Is anybody install the engine side up?
Old 09-14-2005, 03:10 AM
Dealspeed
My Feedback: (17)

I wouldnt run a motor any Heavier then 18oz at the most or hitting suggested CG will be vary hard, you will end up very nose heavy
Old 09-14-2005, 09:38 AM
choopi

I can always try a OS .50 I have, but I think it might be under power for 3D, don't you think?
Old 09-14-2005, 11:43 AM
ben beyer
My Feedback: (23)

Hey guys, I'm going to pick one of these bad boys up from the LHS. I have a YS 63 that's in an US 40 right now, but it just can't do 3D like this plane probably can. Few questions though:

1) How's the landing gear? Should I replace it with Carbon Fiber gear and if so, where can I get some?

2) What size spinner do I need?

3) How's the hardware?
Old 09-14-2005, 03:46 PM
choopi

The spinner comme with it. I might use a carbon fiber landing gear i already have, but first will probably try the one who came with it.

The hardware package look good to me.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:04 PM
ben beyer

Is the spinner cut for a wide blade prop?
Old 09-14-2005, 05:14 PM
choopi

No but you can always use a modeling knife and trim the spinner to fit your prop.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:41 PM
Not24

The LG is a two piece affair that will cause you all kinds of trouble. I fixed mine by riveting it to an aluminum splice plate that joins the two. It's still a soft gear that can't take a harrier landing, so if you plan on doing that, I'd suggest replacing all the gear. The tailwheel spring is not tempered and always bends flat, so it should be replaced with one that you like right off the bat. Other than the gear, the hardware is sufficient for this plane unless you want to fly it fast. I fly mine slow and use standard servos with no trouble. Powered by a K&B 61. Flies great. Just don't try to do a good knife edge on your first flight. It ain't gonna happen.
Old 09-24-2005, 01:50 PM
ben beyer

I have a Tru Turn spinner laying around, what's the diameter of the one that comes with the plane?
Old 09-30-2005, 04:50 PM
sailing1
My Feedback: (134)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Need some advice. Just picked up a 46 size Harrier 3D. Sweet looking plane. I have three engines on hand. 1, OS 46, 2, YS 53 four stroke and three a OS 91 ringed 2 stroke. I am leaning towards the OS 91 which is the same weight as the OS 61. Probably serious power overkill but with throttle management would this be good choice?
Old 09-30-2005, 05:59 PM
Not24

I don't think so. The 90 size flies really well on the 91 four stroke. You won't be able to get it to balance with more than 18 oz on the nose. Those stubby wings don't like to be loaded up, so keeping the plane light is the key to a great flying plane. I'm not so sure a strong 46 would be too little for this plane, so long as you are near sea level. My choice of engine for this bird is the tower 75. It's lighter than a 61 but almost as powerful as a 91. Second choice would be a saito 82.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:03 AM
Ingieuk

Hey!
I think its time for a well deserved update after what, four months! Things have been moving on, maiden flight out the way about a month ago, done about an hour upto now and had 3 flights thismorning. I decided to upgrade quite a lot of the parts in the hardware...

1) Linkages, i didn't like them at all so whilst at the Yorkshire Model Spectacular (which, by the way was very good) i bought a meter of 2.5mm Carbon fibre rod and some threaded ends and metal clevises and made my own using sum 5 minute epoxy, super strong, lightweight and cheaper than a metal equivilent!!

2) Undercarriage, this was left on for the first two flights, unlike the linkages (that never even got on!) but i found that with the big prop i was using the legs bent too easily making the prop touch the floor. So i bought a CCU08 Swept leg Carbon Fibre uncarriage from Carbon Copy aswell as a 4mm axel set. I’v also bough bigger wheels and im gonna open out the bottom of the spats so they can be mounted higher up out the way of the grass.

3) Spinner, it’s a good spinner but it doesn’t have the same class as an aluminium one so one is winging its way from sussex model centre (along with a 6V Rx pack and bigger wheels)

I had real fun with the engine! The S.C. .53 I had originally thought to use just flooded and flooded so I bought an entire new engine! For £110 I got a Sc .70 fourstroke and its an absolute beauty, loads of power and such a noise! Running 10% Nitro synthetic fuel.

When I first flew the harrier I was shocked at the speed of it, it was very fast, even at idle which is no good for 3D that was with a 12x9 Master airscrew, so to cure this I ordered two 12.75x3.25 and a 13x4 APC props from Just Engines. Problem solved, loads of torque and power.

Something else I have found really useful when trying to land are Airbrakes, iv got the new Field Force 7 (so easy to use, great radio, and cheap too!) I set up airbrakes, they really help to slow it down when landing, our grass strip isn’t very big and an overshot can b e costly so I welcome the very steep decent and slow speed these give.

So really I love this plane can’t wait to get some serious crazyness going!

Cya Ingie
Old 10-11-2005, 07:06 AM
red.mckinney

10/11/05 I just received my harrier .46 looks like a well built ship I have a saito .82 on the shelf I think I may Fit it in. Red.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:44 PM
uncle_rc

Just purchased one and it's awesome!! By far, the best built factory ARF!! Great hardware, easy build, superb factory monokote. I have NO complaints. Finally a well-built factory ARF right out of the box. I am running an OS .46 LA from an old trainer and it runs perfect. Plenty of speed and has top-notch 3D capabilities. A real pleasure to build and fly. GO GET ONE!
Old 10-11-2005, 06:12 PM
choopi

I'll like to know if anybody had any trouble with the tail (horizontal stab), I flew my Harried 3d .46 3 time and the tail (stab) flutter so bad that 3 times I had to glue the stab(Epoxy glue 30 min). I'll probably glue some angle stock to reinforce the tail. Any idea? Anybody had any flutter cases with that plane?
Old 10-11-2005, 08:17 PM
uncle_rc

I did notice flutter. Your probably flying too fast. Remember, this is a 3D aircraft designed to perform at slower speeds with greater throws. First, what are you running for an engine, second - what are you using for a prop? Try slowing the aircraft down. Also, you should not have a gap greater than 1/16" on any gap. What is your clearance, are you within spec??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.