Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Aero Works 29% Katana

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Aero Works 29% Katana

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 04:12 AM
Ultimate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aero Works 29% Katana

Does any body fly a AeroWorks 29% Katana ?

what are they like to fly ? what weight ? what engine ? etc

any info would be appreciated
Old 03-19-2005, 08:59 PM
Banche

Default RE: Aero Works 29% Katana

that and the vision 3d from chyp hyde look like the coolest planes out there in the 25 -30 % range, to bad I'm only 15 and dont have the money!

funtana 90 is the best 90 size aerobatic plane of all in all of 90 size plane history hands down
Old 04-03-2005, 10:04 PM
Freddy Warbird

Default RE: Aero Works 29% Katana

I own a Aeroworks 29% Katana with a DA 50cc, carbon tail gear, 5cell 2700 Nihm, 4 cell 2700 Nihm, 24oz tank, Airwild hobbies silicon wire extensions, Hitec 5945 digitals, and pitts exhaust. "This plane is a good flyer". @ 18lbs/ 11oz empty weight, " That with 1.5oz in the fire box" the 29% Katana floats as if it were lighter. I set the CG a hair tail heavy The DA 50 even @ 32:1 is plenty of engine for the plane. I have executed knife edge snap rolls, rolling circles "still not mastered" hovering, knife edge spins, inverted flat spins, upright flat spins, harriers, panics or blenders "The scary ones" , [sm=bananahead.gif] and I managed to get it to waterfall once.I still have to figure out how to better set the plane up for the knife edge spin and waterfall, but the plane is capable of doing both. In fact, the three knife edge spins that I did on the maiden, were wicked. The katana flys very true, and it lands like a trainer. You can bring it in as slow as you want , "but not too slow or you'll miss the runway"! If I am hard on the airframe, I get about 15 minutes flight time + 3 minutes of running, taxing and preparing for take off. This ARF is not top notch quality. The canopy is a poor fit, and the wings could mate up to the fuse better,[sm=punching.gif] but were can one find a 29% Katana that is better than the Aeroworks for under $500.00. If anyone builds this plane, I would suggest using the Robart pin hinges and not the Du-bro 1/4 scale ones. I already owned my Hitec 5945's so the plane cost me about $1900 to complete. "Seven flights so far" Can't wait for the weather to clear and fly some more!

I heard that the chip hyde planes are good flyers, but the china covering used on the planes is terrible, and everything is a tight fit![&o]
Old 09-20-2014, 07:45 AM
mtufto

Default Aeroworks 29% Katana

Originally Posted by Freddy Warbird
I own a Aeroworks 29% Katana with a DA 50cc, carbon tail gear, 5cell 2700 Nihm, 4 cell 2700 Nihm, 24oz tank, Airwild hobbies silicon wire extensions, Hitec 5945 digitals, and pitts exhaust. "This plane is a good flyer". @ 18lbs/ 11oz empty weight, " That with 1.5oz in the fire box" the 29% Katana floats as if it were lighter. I set the CG a hair tail heavy The DA 50 even @ 32:1 is plenty of engine for the plane. I have executed knife edge snap rolls, rolling circles "still not mastered" hovering, knife edge spins, inverted flat spins, upright flat spins, harriers, panics or blenders "The scary ones" , [sm=bananahead.gif] and I managed to get it to waterfall once.I still have to figure out how to better set the plane up for the knife edge spin and waterfall, but the plane is capable of doing both. In fact, the three knife edge spins that I did on the maiden, were wicked. The katana flys very true, and it lands like a trainer. You can bring it in as slow as you want , "but not too slow or you'll miss the runway"! If I am hard on the airframe, I get about 15 minutes flight time + 3 minutes of running, taxing and preparing for take off. This ARF is not top notch quality. The canopy is a poor fit, and the wings could mate up to the fuse better,[sm=punching.gif] but were can one find a 29% Katana that is better than the Aeroworks for under $500.00. If anyone builds this plane, I would suggest using the Robart pin hinges and not the Du-bro 1/4 scale ones. I already owned my Hitec 5945's so the plane cost me about $1900 to complete. "Seven flights so far" Can't wait for the weather to clear and fly some more!

I heard that the chip hyde planes are good flyers, but the china covering used on the planes is terrible, and everything is a tight fit![&o]
I have a Aeroworks 29% Katana, DLE55, 22x8 plywood prob, Brison quiet muffler, Carbon fiber gear and Airtronics electronics (SD10G), 17lbs exactly with no fuel, This is my favorite plane, it is extremely docile, flexible and also will do any 3D asked of it just a joy to fly. Hover is just under 1/2 throttle pushing to 1/2 throttle will pull out transitioning into nice torque rolls. Very rarely use full throttle just doesn't need it. Take offs and landings are very relaxing and predictable and it handles a good amount of wind, I have flown it in 18 mph winds. I can't say enough about this plane it is amazing. I should tell you that I do not consider myself a expert pilot and the plane make me look better than I am, I am would say I am in the 75% range of piloting skills.