3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Extra 260 27% Hangar 9er

Old 05-24-2005, 08:41 PM
BoneDoc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Extra 260 27% Hangar 9er

Thanks for the input guys. Actually Gas is sounding a lot like electric also ; more upfront cost, more inital setup time, but once you dial it down, it's effortless.

As far as I can tell right now from my experience is that the main difference flying glow and gas is the clean up afterwards, which shouldn't take more than 5 min. I find that putting the plane together (bolting the wings, etc, etc, takes up considerably more time. Granted, I haven't tried to fly glow during the cold winter days, so I haven't experienced that aspect of glow powered flight. Is it really that much harder to tune and startup glow engines when the temp are in the 30's or 40's?
Old 05-24-2005, 08:43 PM
BoneDoc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

drumbum

Hows' the pullout of the OS 160?
Old 05-24-2005, 09:43 PM
cannonball200

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just bought one of the new Hangar 9 Extra 260's. I am using the Fox 2.4 gas engine on it. I owned the 2.4 and sold it on a GP Patty Wagstaff to a friend. I bought it back to power the 260. The Patty W weighed nearly 16 #'s, and the 2.4 was good power for it but not over powered by any means. I think it will be perfect on the 260 at 2 #'s less hopefully. I'm using a mejzlic 20/10 prop. I'll post some pics in a few days.
Thanks,
cannonball200 of OKC
Old 05-24-2005, 10:55 PM
drumbum

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: BoneDoc

drumbum

Hows' the pullout of the OS 160?
its a little tight right now.. he is going to lighten it some more and finish breaking the motor in.. it only had 2 tanks through it and those were flying. we were talking today and think we could take another 1/2 LB off it. so it should be in the 11.5 range after. will help.. it was hovering at half throttle but the motor seemed to get weaker in the hover and i slowly had to move throttle up and by the time i was ready to pull out there wasnt much left. you could hear it changing too.. Like i said the motor is still not broke in yet.. his brother has the same motor on a 11.5lb suhkoi that is a few tanks ahead of his and it is getting stronger too. I do know it is ALOT stronger than the first flight allready..
Old 05-25-2005, 05:42 AM
50%plane

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That sounds like a winning combination. How do you plan to lighten it?
Old 05-25-2005, 06:39 AM
BARCC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

yeah, what do you mean by lightening the motor? take aluminum off?
Old 05-25-2005, 08:06 AM
EXTRA ADDICT

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

We plan on swapping out the engine mount for a lighter one. The stock mount weighs 9oz. According to Mike McConville the info he gave me on another post, they just used this mount because it has worked well for them it wasn't for extra strength or balancing purposes. I also plan on trying to get a carbon wing tube for it that will save a couple ounces.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:28 AM
bodywerks

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Addict, if you get a chance, take the tube diameter measurement with a dial caliper...I took a quick look at it and it looks like an EF CF tube will work. I am pretty sure it is a metric tube, otherwise it would be like a 1 3/64" tube.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:49 AM
spratrbo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

In terms of that Moki.. I have a 2.10 on a World Models Extra 300 (for sale BTW) and found a few things that really livened it up. Believe it or not switching from Cool Power to Wildcat helped a bit. As I understand it the Wildcat fuel has a little less oil in it. And I am paying $8.50 for 5%. I am getting 12-14 min flight times easily too with fuel left over so I don't know about these short flight times everyone talks about. I use large fuel lines and NO PUMP with just a pressure line off a Pitts style muffler. I am also running an OS A3 plug. I was using a Zinger 20x6-10 prop which I found the plane would run out of power on a verticle, but I was given an Engle (german) prop 20x8 carbon fiber and WOW what a huge improvement. I got 700 RPMs more on average and now verticle performance is unlimited. I think this could be a great combination for the 260 as mine is weighing in at 14lbs. If there was a way to lose the heavy backplate mount too you could find some weight savings there as well.

Good luck
Old 05-25-2005, 09:41 AM
UltraBob

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Addict,

You mentioned in a previous post that your 260 balanced right on with the o.s. 1.60, which is what mine has in it. If you lighten the motor mount, what's that gonna' do to your CG and how will you compensate?

Bob
Old 05-25-2005, 10:46 AM
EXTRA ADDICT

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well I won't know until I try. The CG is at 5 inches now and I think it can go back more as it takes quite a bit of elevator compensation to fly inverted so we will see. I will give it a try and let you guys know how it works out. I will try to measure the wing tube tonight if I can get my hands on some calipers.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:53 AM
drumbum

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

bob ,, battery in the nose next to the mount on a stick is an option

also addicts plane flew all of 15 min and still had only used a little over 1/4 tank. so there is another option for less weight.. plus the carbon wing tube and one could also use an HS-85 MG on throttle.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:49 PM
BARCC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Man, I'e been down in the dumps lately, because IM only 15, and I want the BEST of everything, and can't afford those things, FYI: JR PCM 10X[sm=cool.gif], DA Motors[8D], Those cool trick carbon fiber spinners[8D], JR Digital Servos[8D], JR 10 Channel synthesized receiver[8D], etc, etc. IT all adds up VERY quickly, even boiling down to servo extensions and stuff, also I want those cool trick Duralite Batteries[8D], what I need is a job, but this hobby is soooo expensive, even though I've been in it for about 4 years, I'm already getting discouraged!! I wonder if I should quit[sm=crying.gif][sm=crying.gif] Tell mewhat I should do, I'm trying to be content with what I have, but its soo hard, because my 6EXA wont do what I want anymore, and Ive been talking to Mike McConville so much, hes gonna get me to switching to JR in a heartbeat. Thanks soo much!!
Old 05-25-2005, 08:00 PM
tIANci

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

BARCC - ask your parents on an advance on your inheritance! Be patient, soon you will be working and when that happens you will be assisting the LHS to make a lot of money for sure!!!

Just a query on the Extra, I am getting a YS160 soon, am keen to use it on the Extra 260, I am not looking at 3D flying, would this engine haul this plane well? I think I can get the YS160 to turn a 20x6 if I use 30% nitro. Thanks!
Old 05-25-2005, 08:00 PM
John Murdoch

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That's a pretty simple question to answer. You don't have to go with the best to have fun and at the same time, improve your flying ability. Go with what works! The best can come later. You'd be amazed at how a lower budgeted aircraft can compete with the full blown bells and whistles aircraft. Remember, it's the musician, not the instrument that makes the best music. First off, set your priorities. Get a good education. With that my friend, you can buy all the bells and whistles you want.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:04 PM
EXTRA ADDICT

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm 33 and can't have the best of everything but, I just keep on keeping on!!!
Old 05-25-2005, 08:19 PM
Bill Killillay

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: EXTRA ADDICT

I'm 33 and can't have the best of everything but, I just keep on keeping on!!!
I'm 31 married with 3 kids... I'm right there with ya...
Old 05-25-2005, 08:55 PM
cstevec

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well, I'm 49,,,,, & am fortunate enough to be able to get pretty much what I want but decided a while ago NOT to get the biggest, baddest, trickest stuff. That old adage: "The bigger they are, the harder they fall" was never true'er then with RC planes. I see some of the nicest planes, with some of the trickest stuff in them hit the plane graveyard way before their time.

BARCC, JMurdoch said it right. Practice with the stuff you have and before you know it you will be a better then the guys flying all the expensive toys. One thing though. Don't let Mike M. sway ya. I fly Futaba and wouldn't change for nuttin'.

tIANci, after flying mine I can pretty much gurantee you that a good running YS 1.60 will fly this plane just fine. Probably hover it just fine too.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:25 PM
bodywerks

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: BARCC

Man, I'e been down in the dumps lately, because IM only 15, and I want the BEST of everything, and can't afford those things, FYI: JR PCM 10X[sm=cool.gif], DA Motors[8D], Those cool trick carbon fiber spinners[8D], JR Digital Servos[8D], JR 10 Channel synthesized receiver[8D], etc, etc. IT all adds up VERY quickly, even boiling down to servo extensions and stuff, also I want those cool trick Duralite Batteries[8D], what I need is a job, but this hobby is soooo expensive, even though I've been in it for about 4 years, I'm already getting discouraged!! I wonder if I should quit[sm=crying.gif][sm=crying.gif] Tell mewhat I should do, I'm trying to be content with what I have, but its soo hard, because my 6EXA wont do what I want anymore, and Ive been talking to Mike McConville so much, hes gonna get me to switching to JR in a heartbeat. Thanks soo much!!
Dude, it doesn't take the best of everything to have fun in this hobby...besides, I would have to disagree with some of what you consider "the BEST", anyway, and some of what I prefer actually costs less.
When I was your age, I had to settle with gliders cuz that was all I could afford, but I still had fun. Be patient, and worry about finishing well in school and making a career foryourself before you worry about how to come up with $3,000 for a model airplane right now...believe me, we have all been in your shoes and we managed to survive...so will you!
Old 05-25-2005, 09:29 PM
bodywerks

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: tIANci

BARCC - ask your parents on an advance on your inheritance! Be patient, soon you will be working and when that happens you will be assisting the LHS to make a lot of money for sure!!!

Just a query on the Extra, I am getting a YS160 soon, am keen to use it on the Extra 260, I am not looking at 3D flying, would this engine haul this plane well? I think I can get the YS160 to turn a 20x6 if I use 30% nitro. Thanks!
It's the perfect engine, IMO, if you wish to stay with glow. I was planning on running about that prop or something in the 19" range. And, yes, at 12 pounds, it will absolutely HAUL this plane!!!
Old 05-25-2005, 09:50 PM
BoneDoc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well,

I just have one more excuse to buy this plane, my beloved Sig 3D Mayhem just bit the dust today. It was flying nicely when all of a sudden the rudder doesn't respond to my command.... eh, no biggie, maybe linkage is loose. As it turned out, the ailerons, elevators, and throttle didn't respond either. So I watched helplessly as my beloved Sig (on its 52nd flight) plunge into terra firma at 60 degree and 1/3 throttle. Good thing though it rained yesterday and the ground is soft. I think my Saito is ok. That thing just plunged, burried right into the ground. Still don't know what did it. I just lost control of everything; it wasnt' twitchy like I got a hit. Checked the battery, 5.9 V, receiver still works (antenna off, but it could be because of the crash), switch (MPI with dual leads and charging plug) was totally destroyed, so I can't make conclusion either way. Any ideas?

At any rate, I was thinking of selling my Saito, get a used Moki 1.8 with pump, and used my servos (5625 on ailerons and elevator, 5645 on rudder). Good choice? I think Mike flies his with JR Servos of similar torque rating.

Josh
Old 05-25-2005, 09:56 PM
Bill Killillay

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well my plane came today. I just got around to getting the box open and checking it all out.

My first impression is wow, what a great looking ARF. A lot of the typical ARF stuff is already done. ARF's are sure getting more and more ARF all the time!!

I've only weighed a couple of things, but my left wing weighs .3 more than my right wing. The stab tube is 1 oz on the dot and the main spar is 6.4 oz. The outside measurements of the main tube is 1.060" or 26.90 mm. Seems like we can get that weight down. Can probably cut another half an oz in the stab tub. Another area that seemed a bit heavy to me is the hardware stuff. I'm sure that some of it will get changed out a bit.

All in all I'm very happy with the $$ that I spent on this kit. I can't wait to start building it. I hope to get it well in hand this weekend...

Old 05-25-2005, 10:16 PM
BoneDoc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

is there enough elevator surface for good authority? It seems that most 3D planes have elevators that take up part of the horizontal stab too.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:21 PM
Bill Killillay

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: BoneDoc

is there enough elevator surface for good authority? It seems that most 3D planes have elevators that take up part of the horizontal stab too.
Funny you should say that I almost posted something about that. The rudder looks smallish to me too. We'll find out...

BK
Old 05-25-2005, 11:27 PM
tIANci

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I hate forums, they give you too many ideas on what to buy!!! Hahaha ... I think forums are started by LHS owners!!! I better go see the Extra 260 ... I think its come in. Thanks guys!!!

Search this Thread