Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Extra 260 27% Hangar 9er

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Extra 260 27% Hangar 9er

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 12:19 PM
CollectivelySpaced
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extra 260 27% Hangar 9er

I finally got a video of my Extra:

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4436960/anchors_4436960/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#4436960]Extra 260[/link]
Old 06-29-2006, 03:29 PM
shag555

Well I got my new one yesterday. Took it out of the box and everything's fine (no broken airplane parts)! My LHS gave me a Dubro vibration mount to try out. I'll have to mod it a little to get it to fit behine that Saito. The mounting screws will rub the needle. Guess I could use a rounded hex head instead. That would solve it. Also got my new 9303!!! WOW, what a radio. I can't wait to get everything in this plane to start programming, AND, to have my ailerons on a separate channel.

MPB
Old 06-29-2006, 05:02 PM
Bobby Folsom

I have a 10X and from what I have heard the 9303 is ALMOST better than the 10X!! Be sure and check out the JR/horimon website for programming help. I know the 10X has an excellent setup article but I don't specifically know about the 9303.

Good luck.

Bobby

P.S. Some would say you came over from the dark side when you saw the light!!!
Old 06-29-2006, 05:23 PM
FBaity
My Feedback: (2)

Are the later production kits any better in quality that the early ones?

Frank Baity
AMA 38026
Old 06-29-2006, 09:39 PM
kirk.lara

Does anyone know where can I find the DA-50 and the servos for my Extra 260 in Houston - TX? Actually I'm here and will try to enjoy this trip.

Cheers
Old 06-30-2006, 12:52 AM
sence-soared

Just picked up my 260 today,upon inspection the only thing i found wrong is a cracked up cowl,other than that,looks awesome.I plan on going with a Copperhead Aviation venom 45 on it,with any luck ill have my eng. in a couple weeks,cant wait!!!! mean while,im off to the field! fly on fellers
Old 06-30-2006, 04:01 AM
tuavp2

I am from Ankara/TURKEY and I have been reading dosens lets say hundereds of pages about HANGAR ) EXTRA 260 since year. I have finished mine and done the first fly(Maiden) today. My configuration is as follows;
HANGAR9 EXTRA 260
DA 50R + 3'' Stand offs+stock muffler
JR8411 all around
JR Midi servo on choke
3,5 ınc Tru Turn Spinner+ Menz 22X8 prop
Graphtec carbon fiber landing gear

I start break in on ground without cowling to better air cooling. After 2 ful tank(Stock) of gas I had the first fly. It was excellent. She did not want any trim. Inverted fly was also excellent, knife edge needs a little bit pitch down, stall turns, flat spins etc all wonderfull.

Engine is perfect , needs alitle bit more time to break in. I am sure after 15-20 flights engine wil give me more power and more trust.

Landing was so cool, like 3D plane ofcourse she wants to stall but this is not a first plane(Trainer) when you give 2-3 click of throtle she lands like a trainer. So thanks to HANGAR 9 and I recommend this plane to everyone as 1st gas plane.

Best wishes to all
Ahmet KARAHAN
Old 06-30-2006, 04:20 AM
shag555

The info on the 9303 from Horizon's webpage is pretty awsome. It's a little better than the manual if you ask me (just skimming of course), and a little more specific in setting up for aerobatics.

Fbaity - I think it is... Everything seems to be tighter. The horizontal stabs are a SQUEEZE - my first one slid in... This one I have to force the stab tube through (it's not impossible - just a very tight fit on the pins and tube). Speaking of stab tube pins, my first one had a tube that came loose. It was working it's way out of the fuse which, I had put a dowel through the pins, but that could have been disasterous!!!

The landing gear seems to be better also. Probably the same construction, just built better??? I'm going to try it, my graphtec gear is still in one piece, but it flexes more than the stock gear (plus it's heavier). I made the purchase of a digital postage scale, and I'm weighing everything. Trying to get as much weight off the tail as possible. I might work up something that refers to balance - take x amount of weight off the tail, removes x amount of weight from nose kind of thing (I guess it'd be a ratio more than anything).

MPB
Old 06-30-2006, 06:35 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Bobby Folsom

P.S. Some would say you came over from the dark side when you saw the light!!!
Man; you're sounding like Tobe now...[8D] All those years when I flew JR, and he flew Futaba; now, we're reversed and suddenly Futaba is "Brand X"!

Bobby, Tobe has the 9303, and the only thing about it I've noticed "better" than the -10 is that the 9303 includes all three software types. Programming doesn't seem to be any less involved; you still must pay attention to what you're doing.

But it is a very nice radio. If it had been around when my 10SX II puked, I'd still be flying JR...[sm=tongue.gif]

Meanwhile, on the home front... Tobe did a bit more tweaking on the BME this past week-end, and aside from the throttle linkage working loose, I had ten flights over three days with little drama. That Smart-Kill gadget paid for itself right there, let me tell you.

Naturally, now that it seems I've finally got the engine sorted, the airframe is beginning to come apart. I went over it closely the past few days, looking for loose bolts, etc., and found some broken stringers and a failed glue joint in the right wing tube receptacle. Fixed all that, and plan to get in a bunch more flights this week-end (got a five-dayer).

So I'm at last able to enjoy this thing. But I'm getting my ducks lined up to score a GP Patty Wagstaff Extra as a replacement; there is NO WAY this Extra is going to last until I retire, get a bigger ride, and can get a bigger plane.

Regarding competition; that's out for the rest of the year, for both of us, due to suddenly changed work schedules. But we'll still be keeping our hand in, and hopefully can make a few meets in 2007. We have a new club member who is getting into it heavy. He's an old pattern flyer, and is already in Sportsman. He's our motivation...
Old 06-30-2006, 12:12 PM
Bobby Folsom

Thanks for the update Steve. I am glad to hear you finally got your engine problems sorted out AND put an electronic kill switch in your plane. I too had learned the hard way!! Also good to hear that another flyer has the competition bug!! I personally think the Sportsman sequence is rather challenging - expecially in flying the sequence with PRECISION!!! Precision is the key. I was showing a youngster the Sportsman sequence and, in my opinion, I was getting no higher score that 4's or 5's but he thought they were perfect!!! He has a lot to learn but he's young!!

Tell Toby high for me and to practice that basic sequence.

Later,

Bobby
Old 06-30-2006, 04:22 PM
Tor

Nice day at the field [8D]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50771.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	485099   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cy77407.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	485100   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di11020.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	485101  
Old 06-30-2006, 05:10 PM
Tor

By the way... those who have the Graphtech landing gear, is it taller than the stock gear?

I am having a bit of trouble taxing in tailwind as it want to nose over on our pretty rough field. Think that raising the nose an inch or so would help.

Also I find that the tailwheel bends in the metal, causing it to lock. If bending it back it breaks (bought one for my Funtana as well, that broke when bending it back). What are you using for tailwheel? Similar type prefered.
Old 06-30-2006, 07:40 PM
wttiger42

Nope, I just installed the Graphtech gear tonight and they are nearly identical to the stock landing gear. I have the graphtech on my funtana and really liked the extra height. Ive thought about putting some shims between the gear and fuselage for a little extra distance. A 23" prop comes aweful close to the ground.

PS Tor, thanks for all the help with the advice on installing the evolution45. I ran it for the first time last night. Started with two flips. Had to adjust the high speed needle some but i ran a couple tanks through it. Im using a 22x8 zinger prop for break in. What kind of RPM should i expect with a new motor? I tached around 5300 or so. Is that too low?

Oh yeah, i have the BCM Pitts muffler
Old 07-01-2006, 03:00 AM
Tor

Hi Mike.

5300 seems a low. But I wouldn't worry about that too much untill you have run a few tanks through it. I ran mine for about an hours or so, before flying it. After the initial runs and before flying, I adjusted the needles. I got around 6000 on a 22x10 Menz, however I have a can.

You can check the thread in my signature:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_41.../anchor/tm.htm

Did you use the autochoke feature?
Old 07-01-2006, 07:51 AM
LSP972

Mike,

I'm new to gassers, so take this FWIW; but it sounds like you've got a bit too much prop.

Come on up to Clinton this week-end, and we'll compare notes (I've got a spare BME 21x8 you can try). IIRC, you fly at Red Stick. Up here, we have plenty of runway, no no-fly zones, and no peanut gallery full of sour pusses carping about which direction you're flying in...

PM me if you're interested. I'm off all next week and plan to burn a serious amount of lighter fluid. I run white gas (actually, Ozark camper fuel), which amuses Tommy Golson to no end; he calls it "lighter fluid"...
Old 07-01-2006, 09:03 AM
wttiger42

ORIGINAL: Tor

5300 seems a low. But I wouldn't worry about that too much untill you have run a few tanks through it. I ran mine for about an hours or so, before flying it. After the initial runs and before flying, I adjusted the needles. I got around 6000 on a 22x10 Menz, however I have a can.

Did you use the autochoke feature?
Long story ... well, that ignition never would work. So im going to send it back and try it when i get it back. I bought the standard ignition for the Evolution in the meantime.

Steve- Thank you for the invite. I plan on making a trip up that way sometime. Its a pain in the *** on transporting these bigger planes. When i get a more reliable way to transport, ill be making a trip. You are right about the peanut gallery I have only had one instance that i was involved in with an old sourpuss, but many more of them, and im gone. You know how it is. [sm=lol.gif]
Old 07-01-2006, 10:08 AM
LSP972

ORIGINAL: wttiger42

You know how it is. [sm=lol.gif]
Indeed I do. I'm sure the "guard" has changed since I was a member there, but I keep hearing stories about the same old nonsense; when I first got there, they all thought helicopters were the anti-Christ.

After I 'splained it to them (i.e., nothing in the by-laws against rotary wing), they left me alone. I realize the steady encroachment of houses and soccer fields is putting the place in a bind, and they had to shorten the runway and structure those no-fly zones; but the little sign indicating which direction one must fly in was a bit over the top, IMO...

Anyway... we have none of that. We do have a peanut gallery, and once a member you're fair game for "constructive criticism". But its all good-natured, and in the spirit of having fun. No cliques, no self-appointed field nazis, a few simple rules for safety and consideration of your fellow modeler.

I hear you regarding transport/storage. The H9 Extra is the absolute max size that will fit under my S-10 bed cap and in the bed itself.

We have a growing interest in large-scale aerobats; had four of them out last week-end. And two of those were flown by former recent Red Stick members who left that club for reasons you're all too familiar with.

Just let me know when you're ready; the invite stands.
Old 07-01-2006, 06:49 PM
airborneSGT
My Feedback: (15)

Why do you guys break in your gas engines on the ground? Its usually a bad thing to run them on the ground at higher RPMS and build up heat. I just start it up, get a decent RPM reading and then go fly it. After a few tanks in the air I start to adjust but just a little. More or less get the best idle and best rpm. I then back it off a few from the highest rpm on the high end and go fly. Been flying all the gassers this way and I have a few. from 40-150cc.

Gassers are not like glow engines and the break in and setting of the needle valves is different. Usually once I set my high and low end I only rarely have to adjust it. Maybe like once for summer and then again for winter. Other than that only again if I switch to a different prop.
Old 07-01-2006, 08:33 PM
LSP972

Okay... but I'm sort of trying to figure out why you think I do this.

There's a big difference between starting the engine and running it for a few minutes on the ground, and extended static running for "break-in".

Perhaps you have an on-board tach that gives you in-air read-outs?
Old 07-01-2006, 09:51 PM
Bobby Folsom

Hey Steve, Airborn is correct about gassers. Once you get a decent high end AND a good idle GO FLY! A slobbering rich running engine will never break in, it only fouls the plugs and rings. You will notice that the transition from idle to high end gets better after several gals. Once you get about 5 gasl through them, you're set for the lifetime of the engine. If you ever have trouble starting it or it runs rough then you know something is wrong. Popping and sputtering is a symptom of low battery on the ignition. Lean running at high speed is a sign of trash in the carb.

Bobby
Old 07-01-2006, 09:54 PM
shag555

You guys think you have it bad (as far as old timers go)... I'm only 2 miles from my club flying grounds (so I've got to be a member!). It works out great, because I usually have the place to myself during the spring, summer, and fall through the week in the evening (the rest fly during the mornings and mid-day).

What sucks though is, I'd love to get out to a couple of IMAC competitions sometime this year. I don't intend on competing this year, but I'd like to start to learn the sequences and maybe by next year I can start in beginner. These guys don't want to hear anything about IMAC (let alone 3D). I hear you about helicopters (that's TABOO at our field too).

I don't want to leave my club due to it's proximity, but I probably need to join another club to expand my flying "horizons".

On another note... Has anyone used these phenoletic or carbon fiber control horns before??? I'm looking to replace my set of Dubro's to cut the fat. All in all, if the two rear elevator servos go, along with the heavier Dubro horns, it should save about 6 - 7 oz in the rear, which will free up pleanty of weight in the front for hole cutting in the engine box. All in all - 1# less is the goal from "Big Blue No.1"!

MPB
Old 07-02-2006, 02:58 AM
LSP972

Hey Steve, Airborn is correct about gassers.
I didn't say he was wrong. But I think he's confusing a quick run-up and rpm check with "slobbering rich ground break-in"...

Four more good flights yesterday. I think it has settled down enough to start working on a throttle curve.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:32 AM
Bobby Folsom

10-4. Sounds good. Soon you will be getting 10s on the basic sequence!!!

Bobby
Old 07-02-2006, 09:09 PM
LSP972

Soon you will be getting 10s on the basic sequence!!!

Bobby
Not if yesterday was any indicator. Flew a round; it was rather ugly...[&o]
Old 07-03-2006, 11:54 AM
rserna
My Feedback: (3)

Hi how would a supertigre 3000 fly this plane what prop can i use for flying 3d and what servos i need.
thanks

Rolando Serna

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.