Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Extra 260 27% Hangar 9er

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Extra 260 27% Hangar 9er

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 11:53 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Extra 260 27% Hangar 9er

ORIGINAL: airborneSGT

Futaba needs to get with the times with their servos.
If you mean they need some stronger, faster offerings (if for no other reason than to keep up with the Joneses), then I agree. But these 9252s are the first Futaba servos I've had fail on me since I began the hobby. Heck, I've got a set of S128s still going strong in a trainer; and I bought those in 1986. These are, IMO, twice the servo that those sorry little 3004s are.

I never felt the need for the extra torque/speed of the "big" Hitecs, relishing instead the reliability I have come to expect from Futaba. Now, I wonder. Are Futaba servos becoming yet another victim of the "Let's improve the profit margin by cutting little corners here and there!" manifestation of corporate greed???

Yet another reason why the servo question gets more confusing every time I examine it...[&o]
Old 06-12-2006, 07:15 AM
buyandfly
My Feedback: (34)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know of a source for 5 1/2" aluminum or suitable equivalent push rods for elevator? Need them for my H9 Extra 260.Pro-Links only go to 5". Thanks Ken
Old 06-15-2006, 08:26 PM
shag555

Well... After just starting to get this plane figured out... I lost it in the sun this evening. Last I saw of it was about 5 ft from the deck heading straight in nose first. I just got this thing to flat spin tonight. Really a piece of cake, full throttle into it, then cut back to half throttle and it flat spin and slowly lose altitude.

It's a total loss. The engine box took most of the brunt and literally there isn't a piece that isn't the size of a quarter. Both wings got munched in one way or another. If it weren't for the fuse being trashed, the wings would be salvagable, but you all know how it goes.

I was thinking I'd get another this size for this Saito 220, but I think I'll wait till I get a new radio before I delve into something that really needs a better radio. I have a Futaba 6EX and it's just not all it's just not meant for this kind of flying (my experience with servo reversers).

In the interim, anyone willing to give advise about an airframe that's similar to this one, that'll take that big 220??? My Hostetler plane might be a cantidate for it, I was thinking I'd stick a DA-50 in it, but maybe this would be a good combo also. That plane won't be done till this fall though the way my build is going (then and again, I just freed up a bunch of time tonight).

I don't know, this year is really bad for me. Sunday, I lost control of my Artesi. It ended up about 50 ft up in a tree. Now this. I've had mechanical problems all this year and last year with this Extra (guess I won't have to worry about it anymore though).

I'm bumbed big time. I'll give you guys a photo tomorrow.

MPB
Old 06-16-2006, 08:12 AM
LSP972

Bummer... sorry to hear this.

I'm about ready to try mine again. Got a new rudder, moved the rudder servo to the back, have the new rudder fitted and the linkages roughed out. My retired machinist pal fabricated me a new, sturdier tail wheel steering tiller from brass (the kit-supplied one is flimsy pot metal); all I have to do now is slot the carbon fiber pushrod/rudder reinforment piece & glue it on, glue on the rudder, and re-balance.

I've had more than my share of aggravation with this one, too. I've stuck with it because this is new territory for me. Trust me; if this had been a glow plane, it would have been LONG gone...

Anyway, I won't be least bit surprised (or hurt) if, after all this, it goes in during the next flights from pilot-induced or other causes. As someone pointed out earlier, this attitude almost guarantees a long life for the model...

Shag, I would not tempt fate with your beautiful workmanship by trying a new engine on your Hostetler Extra. IOW, use the 220, or get another ARF to learn the ins & outs of gas engines BEFORE strapping one on all that work and effort. Gassers are quite a bit different and require you to think in another box.

That's not a bad thing at all; but there is definitely a different learning curve.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:39 AM
shag555

Your kit had a pot metal one? Mine had a ~24 guage steel (even weaker). I replaced the entire assy (minus the carbon tailpiece) with a more stout unit I had from an old Laser 200.

You know I flew all most of the summer last year at least twice through the week in the evenings. I couldn't figure out how the hell I got in trouble with the sun like I did yesterday. Then I realized, that I didn't start flying at this field till AUGUST (the sun is at a different latitude - and our field runs East - West)!!! Late summer the sunset is at the south side of our field... Yesterday it was almost right at the northwest side. I banked to make a pass up field, then lost it.

Are you still looking to get that Hostetler tube wing plan??? I'd like to know how they look with a tube wing.

I thought about reverse-engineering this Extra 260, but it's probably more work than it's worth.

MPB
Old 06-16-2006, 02:03 PM
LSP972

ORIGINAL: shag555

Are you still looking to get that Hostetler tube wing plan??? I'd like to know how they look with a tube wing.
Nope. Don't have a large enough building board for 30% wings; too much chord. I'll be staying with ARFs for the big planes for the time being.

By "pot metal", I meant an exceedingly flimsy and CHEAP part. Not sure of the gauge of the part, but you could easily bend it with your fingers. The tail wheel set-up on this model is, IMO, the one area where they really skimped too much. I replaced the whole thing.

The rest of the airplane seems to be holding up... except, of course, for the rudder...
Old 06-16-2006, 03:16 PM
shag555

Well... I'll at least skin what's left of mine and post pictures of the airframe for those that are interested.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:19 PM
shag555

I discussed a "new purchase" today over the PHONE with the wife. I think I have her feeling sorry for me. I don't know about the airplane though. I'm going ahead with a new 9303 JR first, then I'll extort my own bank account for the plane. Does anyone have advise on the synthesized tx / rx vs the crystal (besides cost). My interest is in "fool-proof", "can't get screwed up with someone else's radio frequency", and vise-versa.

MPB
Old 06-16-2006, 04:00 PM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

Sure lets see the pics...

I flew mine yesterday in some really blustery conditions, it was REALLY windy, I only flew once and packed it in and took it home. Got to try it in a 12-14 mph crosswind, I don't know what it was gusting to, a lot. The plane seemed to handle the crosswind really well though.
Old 06-16-2006, 04:06 PM
Bobby Folsom

I went with both the synthesized RX and TX module and noticed a large increase in ground range - I got tired of walking after 300 ft!! The RX is dual conversion with is good in an rF rich environment. If fact, one of the SC IMAC guys was flying a single conversation JR RX (950? I think) and was having glitch problems. He switched to a 945 and viola - glitches were gone. Besides, you can pick whatever frequency you need and not have to wait for the frequency!!

Bobby
Old 06-16-2006, 10:29 PM
shag555

Is JR's set up with this synthesizer one that searches for an open channel, or does the user pick a channel? I'm ordering monday. but I want to be certain this module is not going to be shooting all my buddies down at the field. I probably won't even need something like this. I've yet to have anyone flying on CH54 at my field (we're a small club of only 30 members). Maybe I should just get the regular 9303 on CH54 and save some money???

I flew my Extra last year in at least 20 mph winds without any difficulties. Slow speed, high speed, etc, the wind didn't have any impact on it what so ever.

MPB
Old 06-16-2006, 10:57 PM
camss69

On the 9303 syn you pick the channel on the back of the module in the transmitter with dials, and then you have to program your reciever to recognize what channel you changed it to. I think it only takes a few seconds to do as long as you have access to the reciever in the plane. (I don't know if there is a button or something on the rx to put it in "learn mode".)
Old 06-17-2006, 12:33 AM
quietstorm366
My Feedback: (9)

Steve, I was moving my plane from the back of our suv, when it broke in the same location. But, I was lucky, the break was only on the butting seams. I put some cryo on it and it seems rock solid. I hope? I'll fly this weekend. I brought the plane up from fla to Traverse City, Mi and had a few minor dings. Thanks, John
Old 06-20-2006, 05:28 AM
shag555

Here's what's left. Not much. Took a couple of shots of the Ailerons to give some of you an Idea of how light this plane really is. All in all, I got less than 20 flights out of it. As Mr. Campbell indicated, this "light build structure" may not hold up well after usage (100+ flights).

The pic of the fuse does not do it justice. Many of those "little" quarter sized pieces were glued back together to potentially get something of a tracer for reversed engineering this airplane (this, of-course is just me not wanting to believe that the airplane is totalled) LOL!

MPB
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97661.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	480150   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69003.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	480151   Click image for larger version

Name:	In27423.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	480152   Click image for larger version

Name:	Un33715.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	480153  
Old 06-20-2006, 03:04 PM
wttiger42

Holy crap dude, that sucks... sorry to see that. What have you decided on a replacement?
Old 06-20-2006, 03:08 PM
shag555

It's all good... It's a good reality check if you ask me. I'm taking recommends on Aviation Model's 30% Yak, Great Plane's new Yak, or BME's 30% Edge or Yak. I don't have the cash (permission from wife) to buy a new DA50, so I have to use the Saito 220 for now. What ever it is, I have to make this 220 work.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:14 PM
shag555

Anyone here have experience with these planes??? Anyone know which are built with Ribs / sheeting vs Foam cores?
Old 06-20-2006, 03:31 PM
JAkridge

Bummer, Shag555, Go rite back out to your LHS and get another 260. I've looked at every other plane out there in the same size, weight, COST $$$. If mine go's in. I'm going rite back down and get another one.
This plane is just to Damm nice to bale on after a freak accident like yours.

And sh#t can that old radio, Get the JR 9303 with a standard 7C reciever. No synthacized stuff for this kid.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:52 PM
AirWizard
My Feedback: (3)

shag555,

I had the H9 260 and am now flying the Aviation Models 30% Yak. I am sold on the Yak and IMHO its a much better plane. I fly mine with a DA 50, I'm not sure if the Saito would be big enough for 3D flying.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:03 PM
bmoranx

I agree with JuzPlaneCrazy... The 260 is a good value and flyer for the size and price range. If I splatted mine, I'd get another. I am running my 260 with a Saito 220. I just switched to a Mejzlik 20/7 carbon and I like it alot. The speed is good, not fast or slow and verticle is great.

thanx/Bruce
Old 06-20-2006, 09:58 PM
shag555

I got to admit, this thing didn't get enough stick time with me to know just how well it would perform. The combo I had was probably pretty sweet... Even with low rate throws it wanted to pull knife edge loops. bmoranx - what kind of rrr's are you getting out of that PROP??? I wanted to go with a 20 X 6 Mejelick. Even the 18X8 had lots of power.

You guys might be right... For the price you can't beat this thing... I noticed though that GP's Yak is about the same price, only it carry's a 81 inch span which will equate to lighter load. This 260 has pearl Ultrakote on it though... I can't stand MonoKote. It's like trying to shrink a dog turd over an edge half the time.

You're talking me in to this... If I buy another one, the servos are going in under the hatch. I had to stick my NiMh battery on a stick all the way out to the cowl. And, believe it or not, it's still in one piece. There was another member on here that did the same thing (stick)... He chopped a set of Fromelco? batteries in half. I'll do a cell check though before I use this pack again. It's a 6V 5C 2700mah from JR.

I'll have to think hard about this one... I do have a spare tail section (remnant from this wreck), salvagable wings... Graphtec gear also (the gear held up in the crash).

Other Q's... Anyone making the wing tube out of CF yet??? It's a metric sized tube, I don't know why H-9 would do this, other than to flame someone in the aftermarket business. It would be nice if they'd offer one, but the way their CF LG turned out, I probably wouldn't trust it anyway.

Is the BME / TOC planes built any better than H-9 / GP's to justify the extra cost (looking for a later 50+cc Gasser).

Thanks for the input (and support)!!!

MPB
Old 06-20-2006, 10:18 PM
wttiger42

What is the best tank setup for gas? Ive read many opinions and cant decide on one. Im talking specifically this plane.

I plan on refueling with fuel dots. Do you have to run the line around the tank for the vent? This is my first gas plane and im just curious as to what some expericenced pilots would recommend.

If you knwo of some pictures, that would be great.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:11 PM
AirWizard
My Feedback: (3)

I placed my tank below the throttle servo on a platform I built. You will need to loop the vent line on top of the tank. I use a 2 line fuel system.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:21 PM
camss69

ORIGINAL: wttiger42

What is the best tank setup for gas? Ive read many opinions and cant decide on one. Im talking specifically this plane.

I plan on refueling with fuel dots. Do you have to run the line around the tank for the vent? This is my first gas plane and im just curious as to what some expericenced pilots would recommend.

If you knwo of some pictures, that would be great.
Put a "T" in the line going to the carb and 1 fuel dot is all you need. The other line is just a vent that you need to loop back over the top of the tank before you run it out the bottom.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:45 AM
FBaity
My Feedback: (2)

I had to chime in here. I have flying the H9 260 for some time and experienced all the issues posted in this thread with light construction and sub standard materials etc. At one point in the build I was wondering if the thing would be worth all the trouble.

Well this airplane has turned out to be the best overall flyer I have ever had in my 40 years of RC. I am using a YS 160DZ,NMP muffler system, Hyde engine mount and several mods to the airframe as I have mentioned in this thread in the past.

For those building or considering this 260, go for it / keep at it. The finished product is worth all the pain.

Frank Baity
AMA 38026

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.