Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Extra 260 27% Hangar 9er

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Extra 260 27% Hangar 9er

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 09:03 AM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts
Default RE: Extra 260 27% Hangar 9er

ORIGINAL: Todd L.

ORIGINAL: dgeorge

Has anyone flown a Da50 on this plane? I'm interested in hearing about how it flew and if you used the pull/pull rudder ?

In the process of gettin the DA installed on it rite now but i'm not useing pull/pull. It shows in the manual to install the rudder servo in the rear of the fuse if useing a DA.

And about the elevator stab tub being crooked..... I called HH today and they dont think it will cause a problem having the elevator tube like it is. I checke the stabs with the insidence (sp?) meeter and they are dead nuts on 0... They said if I do have a problem they will take care of me.
I guess it depends on your flying style and whether ir not you take preceision seriously. Whether you are one to recognize it or not it DOES have an effect. Think about it; let's assume that it is 45 degrees off (left side is 45 up and right 45 down) and you go ahead and fly it and from straight and level flight you pull up. That twisted stab is now also acting like a rudder - it is not only deflecting the tail straight down, but also to the left, so the plane will go up and to the right instead of just going up, and it will go down and to the left instead of just going down. Even at only a couple degrees off, if you do a loop, assuming all other factors are perfect, you will start off at one point and end 10 feet off to the right at that point.
PLEAS TAKE A LOOK AT WHAT I DID TO FIX MY YAK AND GIVE IT A TRY. This condition is not a building defect, as these things are jig-built...the fuse just got a little twisted when they covered it. you may want to take a look at your ailerons as well, as they tend to be prone to tweaking from the covering, too.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:16 AM
bodywerks

Bodyworks.....Thanks for the tip dude...... But the fuse is not twised, the tube sock it self is in crooked. I wish it was as easy as pulling some covering tight.
Are you absolutely sure about that??? you can check it with a level to verify. Simply place the wing tube in the fuse and place a level on top of the tube until it is plumb, and secure the fuse in that position. Now, take that level and carefully place it against the TE of the vertical fin on, say, the left side and not the amount that the bubble is off (it will be off because of the taper in the fin). Now gently place the level on the other side of the fin and again note the bubble position. If your fuse is perfectly straight, the bubble will be off by the same amount on each side. Also, once you are done, place the level on the tube again to make sure the fuse didn't move. I am only recommending this because several people thought the same way you did with their Yaks and cut the stab tube housing out and repositioned it to match the wing tube, but they then ended up with a crooked fin and have the same, but opposite problem.
The RCU server won't let me show pics, but if you are interested in them, PM me
Old 06-07-2005, 09:18 AM
bodywerks

ORIGINAL: dgeorge

flyin Hawaiian,

What are you planning on doing about the choke setup? I'm thinking about using a servo on the choke and mounting it next to the throttle servo.
Don't do that...already a heavy bird as is with a DA. Just fashion a choke lever.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:42 AM
cstevec
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice Video Tooly.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:52 AM
Triton 3D

Guys i got to say WOW what a plane, i love it.. but i have a problem whit the landing gear it already cracked, does anyone know another good gear for thi plane??

Extra 260
DA 50cc, pitts muffler
5 Hitec 5645mg
1 Hitec 425
R770 pcm..
Old 06-07-2005, 09:55 AM
Todd L.
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: Triton 3D

Guys i got to say WOW what a plane, i love it.. but i have a problem whit the landing gear it already cracked, does anyone know another good gear for thi plane??

Extra 260
DA 50cc, pitts muffler
5 Hitec 5645mg
1 Hitec 425
R770 pcm..

Some of the guys have been getting the Graphtech gear

Hows the fight performance with the DA? Need more info bro
Old 06-07-2005, 11:49 AM
Triton 3D

Todd L, the motor is still in break in and man this engine ROCKS!!, it has power to spare!! i would recomend this engine to everybody, and the rudder servo has to go in the tail. Nice video Tooly..
Old 06-07-2005, 12:45 PM
BoneDoc

Did you guys read my post? Are you sure it's a "cracked" gear, versus just the paint cracking. Mine had the paint cracking, but when I look at the gear underneath, it looks fine (of course my Kevlar thread mod might have something to do with that too ).
Old 06-07-2005, 12:45 PM
Todd L.

ORIGINAL: Triton 3D

Todd L, the motor is still in break in and man this engine ROCKS!!, it has power to spare!! i would recomend this engine to everybody, and the rudder servo has to go in the tail. Nice video Tooly..

Any idea what your flying weight came out to? Cant wait to get mine in the air!!!
Old 06-07-2005, 02:13 PM
Triton 3D

Todd L, i will check the weight today.
and yes, the landing gear is cracked.[:@]
Old 06-07-2005, 02:31 PM
cstevec

ORIGINAL: BoneDoc

Did you guys read my post? Are you sure it's a "cracked" gear, versus just the paint cracking. Mine had the paint cracking, but when I look at the gear underneath, it looks fine (of course my Kevlar thread mod might have something to do with that too ).
Lemme see here...... Plane goes up in the air and as it leaves the ground you see the gear vibrating in a front to back fashion. Once in the air it is of no consequence so you think no more of it and have 15-20 minutes of pure fun and amaze your friends with your ability to do "things" better then before, your manuvers are just smoother. After a good flight, you line up for approach and grease the plane in for a "perfect 3 pointer at just above stall speed. The front wheels touch the grass and you see the left (or right) gear rotate rearward just far enough for the wheel pant to catch the ground. Result? Wheel Pant trashed and the plane winds up on its nose. All your friends are saying "What the *&$#^ happened? You nailed the landing on that one."

Yeah, the gear delaminates....... Nuff Said.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:46 PM
Arthur K

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I want to know is is Horizon going to replace our planes or not maybe some input from Mike would be nice
It is a great plane and I wish they would have supplied a good quality Alumanun Landing gear with it and no one would have a problem
Now I have to send mine in to horizon probebly wait two to three weeks and then hope to get a new fuse and a cowl
and maybe be up in the air by july
This just sucks
Old 06-07-2005, 03:03 PM
EXTRA ADDICT
My Feedback: (2)

It sucks no dpubt about it but at least you know your plane flys good if Horizon does send me a new plane then I will have to build it and hope it doesn't have the same problem as the one I sent in. You can bet on this though it won't have the stock gear on it next time I fly mine!
Old 06-07-2005, 03:47 PM
JAkridge

I figure spending 50 bucks on a good set of after market gear is no biggy compaired to paying 250.00 for a replacement set of retracts most of the ARF Warbirds come with.
Still it doesn't make it rite for H-9 to have this sh*@ty gear in a nice plane like this, and have guys planes get jacked up, or worse after 2-3 landings.

Come to think of it, I think I read posts about Q.Q.'s Yak about this size having the same problem this gear has.. Did H-9 get them the same place ??
Old 06-07-2005, 03:51 PM
MMcConville

This gear issue still has me confused. If the gear delaminates through the bend, it isnt going to twist back and do anything. It'll simply bend more like an alum gear that has bent due to a hard landing.
Did someone actually have one twist back on a normal landing?
Old 06-07-2005, 04:21 PM
spratrbo
My Feedback: (28)

And to clarify as "flyin hawaiian" and I had a little convo on this as well. He and I both own Extreme Flight Yaks and the composite gear on both planes had the gel coat crack and not the gear itself. Are we absolutely sure it's not the gel coat cracking on this 260 gear? I know it sounds stupid, but we all make honest mistakes from time to time. I haven't see pics, but stress fractures in the gel coat I would consider common. I have 6-8 flights in so far and nothing wrong with mine. (can't wait to heaar the 'you just wait' comments)

JP
Old 06-07-2005, 04:32 PM
EXTRA ADDICT
My Feedback: (2)

My gear actually only seperated in the bends until that last fateful deadstick! That did it in along with the left wing tip a couple formers in the fuse, slight bend in the wing tube and my cowl. Horizon will have it back in a couple days so hopefully the next one will be better!
Old 06-07-2005, 05:19 PM
AirWizard
My Feedback: (3)

Trinton 3D, Great to here about your flight!!!!

I'm going to take Flyin Hawaiians advise and use a bell crank for choke. I have already installed the rudder servo in the tail. I would also like to know how much your bird weighed.

What did you do about fuel tank placement?

Thanks
Old 06-07-2005, 06:11 PM
Flyin Hawaiian

dgeorge

I did mention the tank placement in the thread about the bell crank, but thats kewl! I made a light ply pod. Basically I velcro strapped the tank to a light plywood base and created a 'fuel pod' and glued in mounting braces around the landing gear. With only two screws the whole pod can be installed or removed rather quickly, yet will with stand the G's (I hope . Tank is slightly forward of recommended CG. I will try and take a pic and upload.
Old 06-07-2005, 06:14 PM
bodywerks

ORIGINAL: MMcConville

This gear issue still has me confused. If the gear delaminates through the bend, it isnt going to twist back and do anything. It'll simply bend more like an alum gear that has bent due to a hard landing.
Did someone actually have one twist back on a normal landing?
Mike, I don't have this plane, yet, but it seems pretty clear to me - people's landing gear are either failing for apparently no reason, or are not holding up to grass landings or slightly rough landings resulting in broken gear and further damage to the plane. Others are seeing delam in the radius of the gear leg-to-mounting base. Plain and simple...the gear is not up to snuff and people want a better gear.
Old 06-07-2005, 06:37 PM
Triton 3D

Hey guys here some pics of my fuel tank placement, landing gear broken, DA 50cc, and please put some locktite on the swivel links i almost lost my baby yesterday..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34255.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	281836   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg15760.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	281837   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx62072.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	281838   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx66913.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	281839  
Old 06-07-2005, 08:09 PM
DENNIS C
My Feedback: (99)

here's the pic of the off stab tube. Im not to sure what im gonna do about this yet.

Boy that looks like a pretty serious twist. i would do what BODYWORKS recommends on the repair. or send it back to horizon for another fuse. that thing is going to snap on low rate's at the very lowest throw.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:34 PM
Todd L.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! Now that I got the elevator tube strait the rubber post is crooked..... Whats the fix for that? Cut the rudder post off and reglue it?
Old 06-07-2005, 09:16 PM
DENNIS C
My Feedback: (99)

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! Now that I got the elevator tube strait the rubber post is crooked..... Whats the fix for that? Cut the rudder post off and reglue it?

Well for one thing you SPELL straight Wrong

If i told you to jump off a bridge would you do that ALSO!!
Old 06-07-2005, 09:21 PM
BoneDoc

BW,
Lighten up . You've been quite critical of this plane ever since the beginning. And for someone who doesn't seem to like it, you're planning to buy it. Was the Yak Perfect when it first came out? I don't think so. I'm confident that Mike did NOT purposely put a weak gear. His preproduction gear probably holds up just fine. When you go into mass production, anything goes.

FWIW, my kevlar thread mod fix most of the delamination issue. My gear didn't delaminate at all where the kevlar threat are put in. However, it did delamiate a little further down. I'm planning to put a bit more Kevlar thread into it.

Mike, when it delaminates enough (as I'm sure in some gears did), it separates from the part that attaches to the fuse, and so the horizontal pressure that taxing and landing will cause it to twist and warp. If all landing is purely vertical, then you're right: it will just bend back and forth. But since there's some horizontal pressure from the forward motion of the aircraft, twisting and failure is definitely within the realm of possibilities.

Josh

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.