Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 3 of 146 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Extra 260 27% Hangar 9er

The 260 is one of the best planes for both precision and 3D. Extra only made 6 I believe. Those who flew it in the United States had to go through extensive paperwork to legally fly it in competition due to it never passing FAA standards-it was to hot.
    Model Airplanes don\'t kill people. Chuck Norris kills people.
    Christopher A. Todd AMA# 637636

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

what do you mean by "too hot?"
    Josh

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If its 25% or larger then it should be IMAA legal if I am not mistaken?
    PAU Sponsored Pilot

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

remember to add standoffs (4 oz), ignition (4 oz), muffler (10 oz), battery (5 oz), switch harness (~1 oz), prop/spinner/prop bolts (8-20 oz, depending on prop), etc, to the 2.94 lb figure. Actual weight is over 4.2 lbs.

Mike McConnville said he has flown this plane with the DA50R for most of its flights and reports it flies very well with the gas engine. I assume tthere is a "glorious abundance" of thrust in this plane with that engine. Chances are full throttle is never needed at all.

ORIGINAL: BR289

It seems to me that anything 3lbs and under is fine......since the DA 50cc is 2.94lbs.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

who ever said that it wasnt legal?

I think that gas is the way to go and since I dont already have a 50cc gasser, I shall get the DA 50 unless proved otherwise!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

BTerry
    I would think you would have to add all that stuff with the DA too......Right?
    Extreme Flight
    Aircraft International

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: airborneSGT

This is from IMAA site on what they consider giant scale >

What is Large or Giant Scale?

The concept of large or giant scale is generally considered to apply to radio controlled model aircraft with minimum wingspans of eighty (80) inches for monoplanes and sixty (60) inches for multi-wing aircraft. Ducted Fan aircraft with one hundred forty (140) inches combined length and width, measured from wing tip to wing tip at the widest point perpendicular to the fuselage and added to the length of the fuselage, excluding any protrusions. Quarter (1/4) scale replica's or larger with proper documentation (minimum 3 view drawing of an actual person carrying aircraft) which do not fit the size requirements will be permitted. However, the concept does not encompass radio controlled model aircraft so large as to have the potential of carrying a human being.

http://www.fly-imaa.org/imaa/about.html

HTH
    Doug

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I really want an rc plane that I could sit in the cockpit of, and fly myself with my 6102 radio.

Oh well, guess it isnt IMAA legal[].

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: stomper

ORIGINAL: airborneSGT

This is from IMAA site on what they consider giant scale >

What is Large or Giant Scale?

The concept of large or giant scale is generally considered to apply to radio controlled model aircraft with minimum wingspans of eighty (80) inches for monoplanes and sixty (60) inches for multi-wing aircraft. Ducted Fan aircraft with one hundred forty (140) inches combined length and width, measured from wing tip to wing tip at the widest point perpendicular to the fuselage and added to the length of the fuselage, excluding any protrusions. Quarter (1/4) scale replica's or larger with proper documentation (minimum 3 view drawing of an actual person carrying aircraft) which do not fit the size requirements will be permitted.However, the concept does not encompass radio controlled model aircraft so large as to have the potential of carrying a human being.

http://www.fly-imaa.org/imaa/about.html

HTH
    no worries man its legal

www.jerseymodeler.com
    Special thanx to The Crew Mike B. Jim Z. Ed J. Jim S.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

wish there was some more info on this plane, wonder if it flys better than the 50cc rf yak and the vission 3d and some of those other 3ders in its class. I want a 50cc 3d plane real bad.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here are some pics of the bird. It seems heavy to me at 15lbs with a DA 50? and only like 12000 square inches of wing area. I want to get in to the 50 cc'ers but is this bird a mistake?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lj22413.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	268295   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	To44760.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	268296  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

15 seems light for a DA 50.. it will 3D a 18 lb plane no problem. Im sure it will fly great Mike designs some nice flying planes. the 33% extra flies like its on rails.
    Lee Durham,
    http://lee3d.tripod.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Banche

Here are some pics of the bird. It seems heavy to me at 15lbs with a DA 50? and only like 12000 square inches of wing area. I want to get in to the 50 cc'ers but is this bird a mistake?
    wish there was some more info on this plane, wonder if it flys better than the 50cc rf yak and the vission 3d and some of those other 3ders in its class. I want a 50cc 3d plane real bad.
    15 lbs is not heavy for the DA, but yes it is heavy for this plane. This plane only has 1134 squares which amounts to a 31 ounce wing loading. Compare that to the larger size of the EF Yak, for example (which brings up the reynolds numbers) and its 23-24 ounce wingloading. If you have ever seen a Great Planes Patty Crapstaff fly with a gasser, that's about what you can expect. If you like that, you'll like this, If you have ever seen or flown an EF 50cc Yak, I don't know why you would consider one, IMO. I have been doing some figuring and I don't even see how one could get this thing down to their advertised low of 11.5 pounds, even with a Saito 180 or YS 160...maybe 12.5.
    I was excited about this plane for a lighter engine, but I just don't know now. I have My Yak and I don't see the need to downgrade...
    STRAIGHTEN UP AND FLY LIGHT!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

what would be a better 3der 50cc plane. I could do the yak but they are waiting for a shipment and it costs like 650 and I am only 15!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

See how the cap-x handle the da 50 and is smaller than the 260.
    Check the video at the review here, the power is crazy!!!
    ~Roei~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am sure power is crazy, but the plane itself is heavy for its siz, plain and simple. It weighs almost as much (within 1/2 pound or so) as the EF Yak, yet has 9" less wingspan, and 320 less square inches. Even if you are on a budget, there are several other planes out there that will fly much lighter...remember, flight performance is equally based on power-to-weight, AS WELL AS wing loading/reynolds numbers. I cuold put a DA50 on a 12 pound ROCK and it would have killer vertical performance, but once I let off the throttle it is an instant lawn dart...get it??

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

IS Banche only 15 ?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

yup but I can come up with the money. I got $600 right now and am trying to sell my Funtana 90. Its in perfect shape and has a saito 100. Its perfectly balanced with the batteries by the firewall and hitec digitals all around on 6 volt with a JR R770 pcm reciever. Engine runs awsome now and it will hover 2 clicks above throttle with byron 20/20. I want $800 and will negotiate al little more for my 6102pcm that I use to fly it with.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

a friend just ordered one, should get it next week... im waiting for the showtime... I will try it out though HEHE
    Lee Durham,
    http://lee3d.tripod.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm waiting for the Showtime too, especially now. But I think they have stock on this one now. It would be very intersting with that great big Saito in it. But I feel this is just a little too big for my tastes. Sure would love to fly one though.
    Thanks,
    Barry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think Moki 1.80 would be a great choice for this one. Almost the same HP as DA50, and a touch lighter
    Josh

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have one coming will be here next week. I am thinking OS 160 it has good power and will help keep it light.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The OS is probably a good choice. I had one on my Ultra Stick 120 and it had massive power. Also the new Saito 220, looks about the same weight as the OS and the new YS160. All of these engines would fly it great I'll bet. Man, I'm almost talking myself into this plane. But, I really think it's too big for me. At least this week.
    Thanks,
    Barry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Not sure the OS will have enough power for hover pull out. I am sure the 220 will, but it weighs 42 ounces, compared to the YS160, which weighs 33 ounces, and is just as powerful. Sure, it's $150 more, but definitely the best engine for this plane...under 12 pounds would be very possible.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well I guess I will be the guinny pig and try the OS 160 it weighs a hair over 2 pounds and has alot of power. If I can keep the plane at about 12 pounds it should be a rocket. I am gonna put Hitec 5625s on aielerons and elevators a 5645 on rudder and an HS 81mg on the throttle. Plus Lipos for power so we will see if this works out should end up with less than a grand in this thing and keep the wing loading down. Has anyone figured the wing loading if the plane does come in at 11.5 pounds?

Page 3 of 146 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast