Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 5 of 146 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Extra 260 27% Hangar 9er

so is the ZDZ lighter than DA? How about reliability?
    Josh

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I weighed all the parts that came in the box, the total was 132 oz.
    Jerry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

So 132 + 1.5 x 5 (servos) + 1 (standard servo) + 1 (receiver) + 5 (battery) = 146 Oz = 9.1 lbs. It looks to me to be in the 13 lbs range with a DA 50? That would make it around 26 Oz/Ft2 wingloading, which is comparable to the Yak
    Josh

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The ZDZ 50 and DA 50 weigh within a few grams of each other so go with which even one you like better. Oh and the BME 50 is an ounce or so lighter than them.
    I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Me thinks you forgot:

Prop, spinner, extensions, switches, fuel dot, plumbing, choke setups, velco, padding, zipties, epoxy, etc... add up REAL quick.

14.5-15 will be average with the DA50 setup most likely...

The GP PAtty Wagstaff is ran around 16.5 with a tad more wing area, and people love it too... I thought it heavy, decent for IMAC.

A ZDZ 40 would save about 1/2 lb over a 50cc but then you'd have less than 2:1 thrust... 25 lbs vs a DA's 33 or so...

Just some thoughts...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

He also forgot exhaust, ignition, and battery for the DA.

Also, the ZDZ 40 weighs ONLY 4 OUNCES LESS than the DA50, so not only will there be a serious power loss, but also not much of a weight savings at all. The zdz weighs 45.58 ounces, DA=50.03.

I think the BME44 looks to be the best compromise for power/weight for a gas engine for this plane at this time with a bare weight of 41.6 ounces and a 3.5 ounce stock muffler. Compared to McConnville's plane at 15 lbs with the DA and cannister and pilot and all other equipment, one could probably get this baby down to about 13.5 lbs or less with the BME, stock muffler, no wheel pants or pilot, wood prop instead of carbon, and carbon spinner instead of aluminum. That would put it around a 27 ounce wingloading...hmmmm, now if only they still made the engine!!!!!
    STRAIGHTEN UP AND FLY LIGHT!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

that means it should easily hit the 12 lb mark with the YS140 or the OS 160. and thats not doing extras to shave weight.. the only kicker to glow would be the larger tank.. I usually run Li-Pos so the battery weight isnt much. if you get on a weight cutting spree you could probably go lower..
    Lee Durham,
    http://lee3d.tripod.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

BR289,

Ya'know you really stink at flying, by my video and then i'll talk to you...

Then you can come over tomorrow and build my planes for me...

Yeah, what now!

gg haha

-DMS

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This is one REALLY sweet lookin plane!!!

We got one in the other day at work (HobbyTownUSA) and of coarse i had to open up the box and take a peek!!!

Very nice construction, no wrinkles in the covering... Removable horizontal stab and wing.. Nice big CF wing tube.... everything's double beveled, Robart type pin hinges. Control surfaces look good, nice size to them, and it seems lite, and for $380 i don't think you could go wrong.... I wouldn't mind haveing this with a DA 50[>:]
    www.accelhobby.com
    Wishing i was an Accel Hobby Test Pilot

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mine arrived last night. It looks great I will start building tonight. I got some initial weights on alot of the parts and it is very light! The only part I thought was heavy is the metal motor mount it weighs 9 oz with the attaching hardware man Im not putting a 350 chevy on this thing! So unless I need the weight up front for balance it is gonna find its way to the spare parts bin.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm putting a ZDZ 40 in mine and guessing that I still will be putting the rudder servo on a pull-pull setup. My guess is the motor mount serves two purposes. One is a way to get weight in the nose for those who choose to go with glow. The other reason is to make sure the mount is up to containing that big Saito 2.20. Based on my Saito 1.80's, that thing is going to vibrate some and you might see motor mount failures with anything less.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thats right! I dont know who would spend all the money on the saito 220 when you have to constanly buying gallons of fuel. I have a saito 100 and I shutter to think what I would be spending on two of those. lol

I think this plane looks really good now. In the pdf manuel it looks like the wings are real thick, airfoils doo make a diff in wing loading and the CF LANDING GEAR, WING TUBE AND TAIL WEEL ASSEMBLY look alot better than the stuff on my funtana 90. The hardware looks awsome too and I like all the space inside.

I am lookin for a 50cc'er and this looks Nice! The EF YAK looks like it will never be here and I really cant stand waiting. Those TOC 30% planes look nice but they have all the aluminum hardware and I dont like the aggie color on the yak, and the yak is the better one of the two. Wildhare dont look like they fly extreamly well and I cant see myself doing a rolling harrier along the ground from the looks of those vids of them. My funtana 90 seems to fly soo much better.

I really want to see a vid of this plane and how well it 3D's. I want to see rolling stuff close to the ground Mike! looks like a good plane. just a tad small

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Banche

just a tad small
    I couldn't agree more.
    Model Airplanes don\'t kill people. Chuck Norris kills people.
    Christopher A. Todd AMA# 637636

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

BME44's are still available. I'm gonna get some money together for that asap to buy one up before they're gone. I'll probably have to wait on everything else, but I think a 260 is in my future! I feel confident that I can get it under 13.5 lbs and I think it will fly pretty decent at that weight.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Who knows what engine is best. I think a DA 50 would be a wast and belongs in a bigger plane. where can you look at BME engines and how do you know what GAS ENGINE IS BEST! I just cann't bare the thought of wasting a DA 50 when I could put it in a better plane. Not to say this plane isnt good but you wouldnt put a da in the funtana. There is a better engine for this plane!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Banche

There is a better engine for this plane!
    It's called the Saito 2.20. The D.A. is only good for money conscious people who love 3D.
    Model Airplanes don\'t kill people. Chuck Norris kills people.
    Christopher A. Todd AMA# 637636

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Good heavens, you go right ahead and put the . in the 220 but I think that everyone knows what I mean. there are many better planes to put the DA in such as the VISSION, TOC EXTRA and the YAK. EF'S YAK, aeroworks ultimate and so on. ----> planes suited for the engine. It might fly well with the DA but would probably fly better with a slightly smaller engine due to the size. Why on earth didnt Hanger 9 make the Extra 260 bigger.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well the flight reports should start rolling in anytime now. I hope to have mine ready to maiden Sunday. It is at 8 pounds with all equipment installed other than the motor which will be here tommorow. I think it will end up right at 11 pounds give or take a couple ounces. If it ends up at that weight she will be a great with the OS 160.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Another important thing to look at when picking an engine for it is wether or not that particular engine you pick is well suited for other planes......If you decide you dont like it, crash it, or whatever...it can be a pain sometimes to find a plane that you like,for an engine you already have, as the engines cost more than the planes......
    I had an OS .61 FX, but couldnt find a plane I liked for that motor. A $500-$700 motor is alot if you cant find something you like to put it in.....
    Extreme Flight
    Aircraft International

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

well there are no shortage of planes for a 50 cc motor
    Lee Durham,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Saw one of these at Joe Nall with the EVO 35cc motor in it. Blue head version of the MVVS 2.15 engine I have on my 80" OMP Edge 540 Profile. I couldn't locate who owned it, but wondered if it were the Hangar 9 people or someone associated with them, since I don't think they are selling that motor yet. I didn't have my camera with me at the time either. My MVVS 3D's my Edge nicely at 12# 1oz with the MVVS tuned quiet pipe and ProZinger 22 x 6. Puts out a reputed 20# thrust, but I haven't got my fish scale out to check. I would love to know who has the 260 with this engine and how it flies.

Doug
    N67TP

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I believe Danny Snyder (works in our Product Support) had the 260 there with the Evolution 35 in it. Desert Aircraft should also have had one with a DA-50 in it.
    Mike McConville
    Horizon Hobby

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: EXTRA ADDICT

Well the flight reports should start rolling in anytime now. I hope to have mine ready to maiden Sunday. It is at 8 pounds with all equipment installed other than the motor which will be here tommorow. I think it will end up right at 11 pounds give or take a couple ounces. If it ends up at that weight she will be a great with the OS 160.
    time for you to get a new scale....this plane weighs 8 pounds bare!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey that is wonderful to hear 8 LBS WITHOUT THE MOTOR!!!! THAT IS LIGHT!! But I wonder if it is built real strong. My funtana is great and has 100+ flights and is still in one piece. Some people were mad and said it was built cheaply but I cant complain. I wonder how this plane is built and how it will stannd up to the test of time.

WE ALL WOULD LOVE TO SEE SOME PICS OR MAYBE EVEN SOME VIDEO OF THEM. But no pressure.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rp44035.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	274019  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

time for you to get a new scale....this plane weighs 8 pounds bare!

same scale that weighed my U-cando at 8Lbs 5 oz. hovers 1/4 throttle . weighed my BME cap maniac a 7.5 lbs right on target with what others got. and weighed his 33% H9 extra @ 26 lbs. weighed Harrier 90 at 8#2oz so why is it all of a sudden is it wrong on this plane??

there is no motor and the mount alone weihed in at 1/2 lb.. it is not on it either.. and a 6 oz spinner
    Lee Durham,

Page 5 of 146 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast