Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Super Skybolt Engine

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Super Skybolt Engine

Old 12-27-2001, 10:08 PM
k9copfl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Skybolt Engine

I would like to hear from some of you on this subject. I have a Great Planes Super Skybolt on the bench. It is rated for a 60-91 2 stroke. I plan on using a Magnum 1.08 in it. Has anyone done this? What is your opinion? Thanks
Old 12-27-2001, 10:46 PM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

I dont see any problem with it if you can manage your throttle.
No power on dives, power on snaps etc. For guys who use the throttle as toggle switch ( on or off ) I'd say no.
One drawback to using a larger engine is more weight and more wing loading. Something to consider.....
Old 12-28-2001, 09:41 AM
JBH
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Hi K9!

If the wing area is really 930 squares, and you want to 3D it?... a 1.08 might not be enough.

I haven't flown one... but 930 squares, 9-10 lbs, and a Saito 1.80 or OS 1.60 are the kind of numbers I like for 3D.
Old 12-28-2001, 09:52 AM
k9copfl

Default Super Skybolt

Thanks for your views. I am not quite ready for 3D yet. What I am looking for is unlimited vertical performance. I am beefing up the stucture where I can. Right now the fusalage is completely built up. I am very excited about this airplane. Again, Thank you for your opinion.
Old 12-28-2001, 09:56 AM
JBH
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Hi K9!

I always think of this as the 3D forum. I forgot it is also about Aerobatic and Pattern. LOL, at myself. :-)
Old 12-29-2001, 12:53 PM
wingspan99
My Feedback: (2)

Default Magnum 1.08

It won't be too much power, I have a Magnum 1.08 in a Global Freestyle 46. The plane is rated for a .46 2-stroke or .61 4-stroke but it was pathetic with a Magnum .61 4-stroke, ok with a YS .63 4-stroke, and is nicely overpowered with the 1.08. I haven't gotten the motor broken in yet, it seems to be taking a bit, I have about 1/3 gallon through it yet and it still 4-cycles even set lean. Anyone run a Magnum 1.08? It's a true ABC piston/sleeve so it should take a little longer than a nickle plated liner.
My weight went from 6lbs 1oz up to 6lbs 10oz. It's not light but it IS fun! The thick wing seems to produce enough lift that I haven't noticed the difference in weight very much. In this pic it still had the YS .63FZ engine.
-Tom
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	411_548.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	1081  
Old 12-31-2001, 05:14 PM
rcpilot3
My Feedback: (25)

I have two of the Super Skybolts. With a two stroke I needed to add weight to the nose. So, I removed the 2 stroke and installed YS 120 on them. Unlimited vert. with a 16X6 prop. One of the best inverted flatspinning planes I have. Loads of fun to fly. A little heavy with those 4 strokes.
Old 01-02-2002, 03:35 AM
k9copfl

Default THANKS!

THanks for all the info. You have really helped me out. When it is finished I will post a picture on here and let you know how it went. Thanks for voting too.
Old 01-08-2002, 12:03 AM
Randy-RCU

The GP S SkyBolt is realy awesome with a OS 108 in it.

You just better no how to land..because you do not have much prop clearence and the gear can only take so much wait

Randy
Old 01-09-2002, 12:55 AM
rambler-RCU

a 1.20 is a must if you want to put smoke on er it will need the extra power to haul everything around a friend has one with a 1.20 and smoke and it flys real scale like and with the smoke it just adds to the effect
Old 01-17-2002, 10:24 PM
barryb-RCU

Default OS 120 FS on mine

I have one with a 15 year old OS 120 on it. I fiberglassed and painted the plane and the kit's already fairly heavy. Not quite enough power to hover in this configuration swinging an APC 15x8.

The plane's incredibly overbuilt. I wouldn't worry at all about the 108 overpowering it, although I'd heed the above warning about prop clearance. This plane ain't got much.
Old 01-17-2002, 11:57 PM
k9copfl

Default Re: OS 120 FS on mine

Originally posted by barryb
I fiberglassed and painted the plane and the kit's already fairly heavy. Not quite enough power to hover in this configuration swinging an APC 15x8.
Barryb,

I am considering F/G and paint the skybolt. Or fabric or film. What do you think? I would love to glass it but my glassing skills are'nt up to par. I can't do 3D yet. How did yours fly straight aerobatics being fiberglassed?

Thanks for the info!
Old 01-18-2002, 01:48 AM
RCPilot100
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default GP Skybolt

I bought one when they first came out - I like the way it looked on the box and built it to match. I powered it with an OS 120. I had a few problems with an early kit - the biggest problem - and I don't know if they fixed it - was that the landing gear flexed way too much. With a 15x8 prop, I kept chewing up the gound and prop whenever it flexed. I built the plane real light and with the 120 I considered it overpowered. As far as 3D, the plane is too small to do what my 35% Extras or Laser can - it just isn't the same. Because it is small and quick, I pulled the engine and gave to my buddy for his Cub, the Skybolt is in the basement for sale.

Dan
Old 01-18-2002, 01:31 PM
SMALLFLY-
My Feedback: (19)

I consider my skybolt powered correctly with the saito 120 and the 108 would probably work just as nicely. They come out on the heavy side and have lots of roll coupling when rudder is applied. I dont consider this a 3d plane. The wing attachments are fairly solid but would never hold up to lots of blenders. Hovering for mine is difficult because of torque pullover and rudder coupling. snaps and spins nicely. If you want smoke you have to plan on moving the servos back into the tail as much as possible. There is not much room left at all when set up per plans.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1201_384.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	1082  
Old 01-18-2002, 01:47 PM
Fiddler's Gold

Default Re: Magnum 1.08

Wingspan99 --- incredible pic --- How many passes with what digital/still camera did you use to capture this pic?

How many takes?

thanks,
Fiddler.
Old 01-18-2002, 03:19 PM
Texas_Tom

Default Mag 108

Wingspan99 - what a picture! My first thought was - he must have wheels mounted on the top of the fin and canopy, and he's landing inverted! LOL! Great picture, even better flying!
Old 01-18-2002, 08:55 PM
barryb-RCU

K9coptx,
This plane was pretty easy to fiberglass. It was one of my first jobs and came out well.
I had a friend build one at the same time as me and cover his in monocote. He also used an OS 120 FS to power his. I couldn't feel any difference in flight characteristics between the two of them.

As to how well it flew aerobatics, I'd have to say that to an intermediate level sunday flier it flew as well as most low wing subjects you see at the field.

After programming out the roll and pitch coupling with my Futaba 7U radio, the plane handled point rolls, knife edge flight, and slow rolls very well. It'll flat spin pretty well too.
Old 01-18-2002, 08:57 PM
barryb-RCU

Default Fuel tank

I just remembered how they did the fuel tank in the skybolt. Does the kit still have you hold it down in the nose using rubber bands? If so, change it up. I have to reach up in the front every year and change out the rubber bands. Not only is it a pain in the A** to have to do, but it's the only reason I ever have to disassemble the plane.
Old 01-18-2002, 09:10 PM
k9copfl

Default Fuel Tank

Barryb,

Too late. The fuel tank is mounted under the nose sheeting. Held in place with rubber bands. Right now the fuse is completly sheeted, top wing is joined and being prepared to sheet. I cannot wait to get this thing off the ground. My last bipe was a Sig Hog bipe with an OS 61. It flew well but a bit under powered. Thank you for all the great help. I think I will stick to monocoat for this project. When it is done, I will post a pic. Thanks.