Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Nomex

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2002, 02:51 PM
artistic-aero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nomex

Anybody know a source in Europe for Nomex.... or "nest of bee" as PL like to call it? I need a few sheets to lighten the airframes I am using. Anybody aware of the pricing? Would like to go to source rather than through a re-seller.

Cheers.
Old 09-30-2002, 08:22 PM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts
Default Nomex

I bought mime from the US when I was building my planes last year(from PLProd), pretty lite but the price was pretty high, of course it would depend on what plane you are building, mine require a false floor/two fuel tank bulkhead/firewall/and a bulkhead way back in the tail which I all did with the stuff.

The longest I could fine was 24", I required 36" for the pipe tunnel so I just laminated two pieces together with a light ply in between seem pretty solid so far.

Daniel D.
Old 09-30-2002, 09:23 PM
Joaquin
My Feedback: (3)

Default Honeycomb Nomex

You can find Honeycomb Nomex at:
www.dupont.com/nomex/index.html

They have a where to buy index I copy the Europe Section:

EUROPE
DuPont de Nemours International S.A.
P.O. Box 50
CH-1218 Le Grand-Saconnex
Geneva, Switzerland
Tel: +41-22-717-5111
Fax: +41-22-717-6218
e-mail: [email protected]

e-mail them maybe they can assist you or send you with someone who can, let me know if they sell it to you direct its an interesting product I would like to try.
Old 09-30-2002, 11:02 PM
jkeze
My Feedback: (36)

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Nomex

We use it in the manufacturing of electrical transformers. It has a very high temp rating and insulating properties. Try an electrical supply house across the pond there. It also goes by an older name called "fish paper"

Jack
Old 10-01-2002, 05:48 AM
artistic-aero

Default Nomex

Thanks for the replys... I believe Dupont sell it as fibres, maybe not as board... but I've Emailed them with some pictures to see what they can do. the strength comes from the honeycomb centre... or am I wrong? I did look into the Transformer jkeze, and I htink again that might be mica board rather than nomex. Of course I could be wrong.. I'm hoping!

The nomex is for a ZN Synergy pair that will be modified for 3D, so need the weight loss... will be YS DZ's.

Will keep you all posted.. if anybody finds anything please leave something here!
Old 10-01-2002, 06:17 AM
AF Boomer

Default Nomex

unsure what colors they would have, but I believe the people that make our flight suits and gloves would have some to sell. They are nomex, and I know the company makes their own materials but unsure what form its availiable in. The name is Carter industires, INC. Hope this helps.

Coop
Old 10-01-2002, 10:08 AM
Jemo
My Feedback: (5)

Default Nomex

This may get you started.

http://www.euro-composites.com/default.htm

Do a search for Honeycomb composites.
It's the honeycomb that gives it strength. Nomex is a fiber used in fire retardent clothing among other things.
Old 10-01-2002, 04:46 PM
robert

Default Nomex

Try giving Probuild a buz.....