Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Ultra R/C Giles 202 UL 29%

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Ultra R/C Giles 202 UL 29%

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 06:47 AM
jstanton
My Feedback: (14)

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Default RE: Ultra R/C Giles 202 UL 29%

I just added the extra carbon fiber rod into each of the landing gears and than used gorrila glue to secure it to the frame. I do have a carbon fiber landing gear waiting in the wings just in case the gear does do hold up. But so far so good. The AUW is 11lbs 2oz with the Brillelli 36GT. The engine has more power than is needed to do and stunt you might want to do. I will be putting the plane threw it paces next time we fly. I am running the engine each day when I get home from work to get through the break-in process.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:58 AM
MIXMASTER
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice video, good maiden. I've been playing around with AVS video editing & converter, doesnt look as nice as whatever you have. I like my Giles a lot, looks like there's always one that nothing is right. My biggest complaint is the Brison 2.4 & rolling harriers. My E.I. died a second time, lucky I wasnt in a hover! The rollers are not very axial, kind of clumsy looking, maybe because I'm used to other planes that do it differently. It sounds like that Brillelli is runing good.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:05 AM
jstanton

Jimmy,

Thanks for the kind words. I know the Brillelli will get even better after a few more tanks of fuel run the it. I am not a 3D flyer. I like to look of the plane and with it weighing in the 11lbs ranger with a 40cc gas engine I know it should be a good flyer. Sorry to hear you EI died. That must have been an hair raising ordel. My 36GT Brillelli came with the new Roy Sholl EI and so far so good.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:30 PM
kwjames

Jim where did you get your .188 or 3/16 carbon fiber rod. My hobby shop guy can only find 1/8 inch.
Thanks Ken
Old 06-05-2007, 09:44 PM
blkbird68
My Feedback: (19)

You can get .188 carbon tube from towerhobbies. If you local hobby store deals with great planes they should be able to get it for you. If you want solid rod, you might have to call one of the dedicated composite suppliers.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:47 PM
jstanton

Ken,

I got mine from my LHS. I believe it was a fiber rod replacement for an e-flight helicopter. It was in a bag from e-flight. I took my landing gear to the LHS and he let me try one fiber rod after another until I found one that fit. There is another hobby shop in town named Hobby Town and they also had this fiber rod from e-flight.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:33 PM
mr.scale
My Feedback: (4)

looks like everybody has something bad to say about this plane, even me,
how come chris maier flyes this plane so easy!!! maybe i need to fly it a little more.....
anyone with a smoker yet!!!
Old 06-06-2007, 06:14 AM
kwjames

Is 3/16 carbon tube strong enough or do you think I should look for the carbon rod?
Ken
Old 06-06-2007, 06:37 AM
jstanton

I went and used the tube and it seems to be holding for now. I do have a carbon fiber landing gear waiting in the wings if the stock gear does not hold, but many say the extra tube or rob inserted in the the stock gear really holds.

Last night I noticed the axels had come loss on the stock gears. I just pulled on them and they came right out. I used some 120 grit sand paper on them to ruffen up the axels a little than applied some gorrila glue to them. I inserted tham back into the gear and it looks like it is going to hold.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:30 AM
MIXMASTER
My Feedback: (15)

I've broken 2 sets of gear in hard landings, both had the extra CF tube inside. It breaks off right at the base of the large outer tube at the fuse with no damage to the fuse at all, well, the last one did loosen the firewall but still no other damage done except the gear itself. So light weight & preserving the fuse is the advantages, disadvantage is the weak axles, but if you sand,file & re-insert with JB Weld, they hold up good enough.
I dont know why some are so dissapointed with the Giles, it does everything for me, the worst looking is the rolling harriers, it does them for me but they are a little "wobbly" or not axial, I noticed if I change the duration of elevator deflection it gets better, I think I need more stick time for this, that all.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:57 PM
jstanton

Has anyone had the problem with the tube wing stops coming out on them. I was very lucky today becasue I was in my back yard breaking in my new Brillelli 36GT when I noticed one wing moving up and down on its own. I shut down the engine and removed the canopy to find no wing tube in the right wing. I than removed the left wing and found the wing tube had move all the into the left wing becasue the tube stop had come off. I went into my shop and removed the covering and thin balsa that covered the fibeglass wing tube. I put some Gorilla glue on the tube stop that fell off and glued it back into the fiberglass wing tube. I thought I would just check the other wing and I found the wing stop in that fiberglass tube had also fallen out, so I Gorrila glued it back in also.

I was just thinking if I don't ask and see if anyone else has had this trouble there could be some serious accidents waiting in the wings. Plase check and my sure your tube stops in you wings are glued in good and solid. I would not want anyone to lose a plane if one came out when you where flying.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:06 PM
Patto

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tack-glued my wing tube into the fuselage. This was not out of concern for the structural integrity of the aircraft. Rather, it was because I have a marked propensity for forgetfulness when it comes to bringing wing tubes with me to the flying field...
Old 06-09-2007, 09:53 AM
Walt and Sage

Thanks Jim,
I WILL BE checking the new plane I just ordered...
Walt...
Old 06-10-2007, 05:10 PM
rcflyerdaveh
My Feedback: (128)

I just got back from the field with my Giles. I did a very soft landing and both gear halves broke out of the side of the fuse. This plane is built so lite that not much attention has been paid to the high stress areas. I will reinforce the area and install a 3/16" gear plate. I just ordered a set of TNT REM100 gear.
I hate to add any more weight, but feel that the landing gear have to be solid.
I have an SPE 26 in the nose and have an all up flying weighrt of 9 lbs-10 oz.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:14 PM
kwjames

Do you have any pics of what happened to you gear.
Ken
Old 06-12-2007, 06:48 AM
jstanton

Go to post #1025 on page 41 of this thread. There you will see how someone else replaced his gear with a high quilty carbon fiber gear. He has very good picture to show the process.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:01 AM
rcplaincrazy

the landing gear was designed this way to be as light as possible I have over 80 flights on mine still with the original gear I am running the Mvvs 1.60 gas with the tuned pipe
10 oz fuel tank the airplane really does not like to land it is so light it just floats. the landing requires much more finess than any plane I have ever flown but if you are carefull the gear hold up fine practice practice practice I flew the first 5 or so flights just going around doing landing approaches you really have to fly it all the way to touch down on the mains then just let the tail settle as you back off the power. I am sure sooner or later I will be repairing the gear as so many already have. This is my most favorite airplane so I tend to baby it noo flying in winds more than 8mph makes landing easier without wind. any wind at all this thing is all over rasies the pucker factor about 200%
I am no 3d pilot by any means but with this plane I am learning to hover and torque roll it is very easy with this one . The power is not quite what I expected though I need to be about 3/4 throttle to hold it and when it starts sliding back it will just barely pull itself back up
Old 06-13-2007, 03:43 PM
Rocketman_

ORIGINAL: rcplaincrazy

The power is not quite what I expected though I need to be about 3/4 throttle to hold it and when it starts sliding back it will just barely pull itself back up
I'm also running an MVVS 1.6 and pipe on the Giles. The vertical pullout is decent and better than I expected. The RPM is 8740 - 8800 with an APC 18x6W prop. If you're not getting at least that much, it may not be leaned out. With 80 flights on it, your engine is more broken in than mine.

On the landing gear subject, it is true that many people don't concentrate hard enough on improving their landing skills but many of these carbon tube gear are being broken by people who are very proficient at landing. Maybe the carbon tube quality is inconsistent.
On the Katana-X (same gear but a little longer) I broke a gear leg in a turn during the roll out after the landing and it was not a hard skidding turn. []
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29644.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	703437  
Old 06-13-2007, 08:36 PM
Patto

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like I said before, my gear has held up so far, but I'm sure its lifespan is limited.

I think that considering how many people have reported the same issue with the landing gear breaking in the same place, often times doing what would otherwise be considered a benign movement, it lends credence to the idea that this is simply an inadecuate design. The rods inside the tubes help, I'm sure, but you still have all of the stress hitting that part of the landing gear leg next to the fuse, using that as the fulcrum for the lever.

It was a nice try at a lightweight gear set-up, but it's just not good enough for this size plane. I am fortunate to have a set of carbon fiber gear on a different plane lying around that I can use. I'll probably replace it pre-emptively once I get my engine running consistently again...
Old 06-13-2007, 11:00 PM
dhl7000
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Jim:

I had the identical experience a few weeks ago out at the field. I was tuning the engine a bit before rolling out for a taxi, and noticed that the left wing was drooping. I was convinced the CF tube had cracked on the previous flight, until I opened up the canopy and realized the tube had precessed from one side to the other due to a loosened tubestop. I now have tape on the tube at the point where the wing meets the fuse, so it can't wiggle one way or another. If I had not been tuning the engine for 2-3 minutes, I am sure I would have taken off without problem and then been treated to the spectacular experience of seeing a wing fall off the plane in the midst of a rolling circle!

As for the overall characteristics of this plane and the way it flies - I now have over 200 flights with a YS1.40. Plenty of power, flies as light as anything I've owned, has few bad tendencies, and is just plain fun. My only complaint has been the LG - I swapped out to the piano wire set-up at about flight 15 because the CF LG has low tolerance for anything but smooth landings. For the last 185+ flights, I have not had to do anything to the LG other than straighten out the wire after the occasional poor landing, unintentionally too high drop from a Harrier, or deadstick into the grass.

Old 06-14-2007, 04:54 AM
n57tc

DHL,

Just curious, I have a YS140 on my Giles and I have had no luck figuring out the best prop. What prop are you running on your YS140.

Thanks, for any help you can offer.

Also I replaced my landing gear with a set from Graphtec. My gear broke 3 time while taxiing.

Jim
Old 06-14-2007, 05:07 PM
rcplaincrazy

just broke my gear taxiing back to the pitts gues i jinxed myself . I am going to do the wire Mod as dhl7000 did on post #670 of this thread .

Rocketman,
I am getting only 7600 with the apc 18x6W mvvs 1.60 I tached it last night while leaning it out and that is all I can get I am running 40:1 mobil 1 2t oil and 97 octane gas any suggestions? I take the spark plug out and it looks perfect color just like all my other gassers. maybe I just beat the engine to much I also put this same prop on my saito 180 and it turns at 8700 maybe i should swap engines
Old 06-14-2007, 10:50 PM
mr.scale
My Feedback: (4)

has anyone come up with any mods on the wing bolt down system, like using the same idea as the yak from aeroworks or an edge from wild hare?
Old 06-15-2007, 02:15 AM
dhl7000
My Feedback: (1)

I've been using an APC 18x6W. I am mostly into 3D and this prop has been great.

For anyone doing the piano wire mod - 7/32" is probably better than 3/16" in terms of support vs. weight...
Old 06-15-2007, 08:23 PM
kwjames

To anyone. I am setting up my control throws. I have servo arms long enough to go from beveled edge to beveled edge. Full throws. The book says I should have 60 degrees. My aeroworks surface throw meter says that I have 45 degrees deflex and 45 degree reflex. My hinge gaps are almost none. How on earth to you get 60 degrees.
Ken

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.