Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Ultra R/C Giles 202 UL 29%

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Ultra R/C Giles 202 UL 29%

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 02:12 PM
mr.scale
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultra R/C Giles 202 UL 29%

Where is it? who's flyin it? Any thread about this plane yet? This plane looks very good, and i like to get one but i cant find any review for this plane.
thank you.

Old 06-15-2005, 06:44 PM
spratrbo
My Feedback: (28)

Default RE: Ultra R/C Giles 202 UL 29%

I just came from the XFC where Chris Maier had a prototype from Ultra RC. Thankfully I got a chance to fly this before Alan Szabo had a mishap and the gear went missing. (It was actually an easy landing and I blame Chris' fix-it job) THIS PLANE IS A 10LB FOAMY!!! I have never flown a plane like this before and I cannot wait to get mine! 76" wing span with an OS 1.60 and Hitec 6975 servos came in just a hair over 10 lbs. Chris was able to get like 60+ deg of throw out of everything. The really trick thing about it is the wings are completely adjustable within a 4" range to suit anyone's flying style. So instead of using 2 points like the mini Funtana the wing will slide back and forth til you lock it in. VERY COOL!

As far as flying goes... waterfalls are sick! With full down deflection it tumbles on itself without losing altitude. Knife edge spins are super. Harriers and any stalled type of maneuver are so easy due to it's light wing loading. Hovering and torque rolling... I found this easier to hover than my profile plane and that is EASY! In fact with so much throw you can do anti torque rolls almost as fast as regular ones. Harrier rolls require very little input and I really had to adjust considering I am used to a Funtana 90 and several other planes that require stick banging in high alpha flight. But I think the sickest maneuver I did was a wall. I was flying around and Chris says "try a wall" so I come in... the plane went BACKWARDS! There was no pushing through the air but rather instead of a 90 deg turn it was more like 120 deg and I actually had to give down elevator to get it into a hover. And with this model following the Giles lines, precision maneuvers are incredible. I had to try a positive snap 4 times before I got it right because when you let off the sticks it just stops rotating. I found myself under rotating several times expecting it to fly like an extra.

The only down side I found on the plane is at certain attitudes it will stall funny and snap out. But any precision plane will do this and I think with a little more stick time I would just come to expect it to stall at those moments I wouldn't think it would. Great plane!!! Cannot wait to get mine and make everyone at the field wonder what it is and make them jealous!

JP
Old 06-15-2005, 08:43 PM
hovermaster
My Feedback: (2)

JP, i have to say no more....

Like JP said, i have been flying the first production of this, and it is an amazing plane, you can easly throw it together in a day or two, with only having to install the hinges and mount your equipent.

This plane will be on the market with in about a month... and if you can wait, most def. wait.

Like John said, this plane is a 10lb foamy... you can do things with it that you can do with a foamy.. very very cool...

Thanks,
Chris Maier
Old 06-16-2005, 03:37 AM
mr.scale

thank you guys!! do you think a zdz40 will fit this plane?
and what kind of servos, i'm thinking futaba S1030 on6v(90 oz)for ail,ele and S3305(124 oz @6v)for rud.
Old 06-16-2005, 03:42 AM
mr.scale

I'm so exited that i forgot to say THANKS!!!!
show me some pics or a litte video!!, can't wait to get one
fernando
Old 06-16-2005, 07:37 AM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

I can assure you guys that the 29% Giles will be the talk of 2005. It's 29% at 10.5 pounds RTF with Brison 2.4 motor. It also has a floating wing for 3D and Pattern that you can change with 2 bolts. It also has an optional electric motor box available if you want to convert it to e-plane easily. Ton's of bells and whistles like CF tubular landing gear that has an amazing installation and strength. I'll get some more close up shots of it ASAP.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18788.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	254.0 KB
ID:	285810  
Old 06-16-2005, 09:27 AM
Dirt Daddy

Who will be selling these and when ?? Looks like a great plane !!
Old 06-16-2005, 09:29 AM
STLPilot

Ultra RC and OMP.

Only took us about 10 seconds to decide to pick this baby up. It was huge hit in Toledo ... if we had 1000 we would have sold them all. I'm getting close up shots together today.

http://www.ultrarc.com/giles

http://www.ohiomodelplanes.com/giles
Old 06-16-2005, 07:21 PM
Mudsurfer1234

when i first saw a Giles, i didn't like it at all, it wasnt this one, the one in AFPD, the look just didn't appear to me. Same way with Edge 540's lol

Now it is growing on me, and im starting to like it more and more! I still can't get over it, 29% airplane weighing under 11 pounds, my Yak 54 is 29%, and weighs 15.5, but it's also 87".

I really can't wait to fly one of these, i think it'll be one of the best planes in it's class.

Still debating whether to get the Saito 1.80 or a small gasser, on the Saito side, for noise.

Later,
Scott
Old 06-16-2005, 09:24 PM
YNOT

I saw that bird in OMP's booth both at Toledo and Joe Nall. Both times, John Drake would not sell it too me. Its bad ass. All laser cut and crazy light! Big control surfaces.

I was thinking OS 160 myself. Satio 180 would make it rock or Hacker C50.

Old 06-16-2005, 09:51 PM
Dirt Daddy

I just ordered one I hope I get a reply from Ultra-RC as to when it may ship.

I plan on putting my Saito 180 in it out of my Funtana, this thing looks like it will be a blast to fly !!
Old 06-17-2005, 10:41 AM
Dirt Daddy

WOW !!! Talk about great service, I sent an E-Mail to Ultra-RC and with in an hour I got back a great response !!
This below is what Brian Hughes at Ultra send me in reply.

Harl,

Thank you for your recent purchase and support of Ultra-RC and our 29% Giles. In regards to your comments, first, a Saito 1.80 will be very good power for this plane. The airframe can handle the power no problem. We have proto-types flying out there now with engines from an OS 1.60 to Desert Aircraft 50cc Gas motors. Our findings, along with the reports from the pilots flying our proto-types have been absolutely great. I believe we have a very successful design here and already the demand is becoming evident.

In regards to the shipping, here is the latest update from our factory. All of the Giles are now built. They are in the finishing process now, covering and paint. We expect an air shipment of the Giles to come in first with the sea freight shipment to follow. We are being told the first air shipment will be sent in approximately two weeks. We do not know exactly how many will arrive in the air shipment, but our plan is to fill all orders placed and processed first, and then we will start to fill our backorders. Your order has been processed so you will be in line for the first shipment. I will continue to update you as I receive shipping updates.

In regards to shipping the plane to you second day air, this is possible. I will have to submit a rate quote to UPS in order to provide you with the detailed costs. In an effort to show good faith and customer service for your support, I will work with you on the shipping and offer you the best deal we can.

In closing, thank you again for your support and please do not hesitate to contact me with any additional comments or questions.

Sincerely,

Ultra-RC
Brian Hughes
Old 06-17-2005, 11:35 AM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not to get too far ahead of ourselves but has anyone flown it with a 160fx and had any problems with pressure etc? I have one thats a PITA I have a pump and all sorts of nonsense plumbing to make it work right How far is the tank back?

matt
Old 06-17-2005, 02:38 PM
Banche

Holy cow There are the 87'' planes like the TOC and Extreme Flight yaks that are awsome but this plane ownes. It totally slaughteres the Hangar 9 Extra 260 by a mile!!!!!!

I am in the midst of building that TOC yak but My next plane is from ULTRA RC

I really think this is awsome! I hope they make a plane in the 87'' range. But if not I will still get this one!!!!!

I dont really like it how there are planes that are just a little bit too small for a good gas engine like a DA 50. I imagine it would fly awsome with one because it is an awsome plane with but it would probably fly better with a larger glow engine. I like smoke and gassoline and I cann't stand buying glow fuel any more.

Sweet plane!!!![&:]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16640.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	230.0 KB
ID:	286334   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66502.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	256.5 KB
ID:	286335   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch96779.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	286336  
Old 06-17-2005, 07:24 PM
spratrbo
My Feedback: (28)

My plan is to go with one of these new Evolution gassers. Chris' was set-up with a brand new OS 160FX and we had no problems at all. Running rich for break in but hovering was easily under half throttle. I know it is being said you can stick up to a DA 50 on this, but I was so impressed with the OS 1.60! THINK LIGHT!!! It really is a 10lb foamy that you just toss around in the air. The Evolution gasser is just a few oz heavier, but I swore I would not be buying another glow engine. Now if someone GAVE me an OS... I guess that's a different story. I repeat though... THINK LIGHT!!! It's an amazing plane.

JP
Old 06-17-2005, 08:20 PM
N45328

Spratrbo i have a few quesitons for you.
ORIGINAL: spratrbo

I have never flown a plane like this before and I cannot wait to get mine!

Thankfully I got a chance to fly this before Alan Szabo had a mishap and the gear went missing. (It was actually an easy landing and I blame Chris' fix-it job)
What other planes have you flown and how does it compare to them??

It sounds like the gear has been torn out multiple times, is airframe strenth given up for weight with this plane??
Old 06-17-2005, 10:40 PM
hovermaster

N45328,

I have almost 15 flights on this Giles, and it is an amazing plane. Hairrer rolls are so easy, as is everything else... Precision is awesome for that size plane, and the "free floating wing" design is an extra plus.

This plane is built very light, BUT it is very strong. The landing gear is exactly like the Comp-ARF Yak 55.

On the 5th flight the glow plug shot out of the engine just pulling out of a harrier, and it stalled in and snapped the one gear in half.. and was easily fixed with some epoxy and carbon rod over it.

On top of this ( reminding you , this was one of the first ones, and i didnt have a manual to build it ) I cracked the landing gear mount building it and never fixed it, so that pulled out...

It is not weak at all, i just broke it and never fixed it...

very amazing plane...

As for the ZDZ 40.. that would be over powered... but you could do it... The new ones have carbon angle stock around the fire wall, and instructions on how to beef it up for a big gasser. and the first one was flown with a brison 2.4 and was under 11lbs.. and didnt blow apart. haha

Thanks,

Chris Maier
Old 06-17-2005, 11:38 PM
YNOT

I have seen the bird and I would set up like a pattern plane and go for the 10 lb mark.

If you want STUPID power, think YS 160 DZ.
Old 06-18-2005, 08:41 AM
STLPilot

YS 1.60 DZ ... interesting ... you know Estes makes some real nice model rockets that don't require any glow fuel if that's what your looking for.

Old 06-18-2005, 03:07 PM
ICE_MAN

Hmmm... i like the looks of this plane... Does anyone have a Link for the 1.60 DZ?
Old 06-18-2005, 06:05 PM
Banche

just strap some servos to a big rocket!!!![X(]
Old 06-18-2005, 09:57 PM
hovermaster

Yeah guys.. even with the OS 1.60fx this thing is a rocket.... you could fly it with a 1.20fs in her and would be satisfied.

I will be taking some vid, and pics of flying tomorrow, and post some on here.

Happy Fathers day to all dem fathers here... ( DAD )

Chris
Old 06-19-2005, 11:07 AM
rcflyboy90

I saw Chris flying his out at the buck rc field in lancaster and ordered one a week later. Cant wait to get it!! from what I saw this is an awesome plane for this size class. it was a tough choice between the yak and the giles so what the heck I ordred both Chris thanks for such great advice. Congrats also on 5th place at the XFC great job!!!

YOU DA MAN !!!
Mike P and the boys
Old 06-19-2005, 02:26 PM
ICE_MAN

No Links to the 1.60DZ? I know it's alot of power.. But I'm thinking IF I Do get this plane/engine I can use the engine later on too
Old 06-19-2005, 09:14 PM
Dirt Daddy

OK, its been all weekend any action shots ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.