Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

What's a good way to mount the tuned pipe on a Focus?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

What's a good way to mount the tuned pipe on a Focus?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2002, 05:37 AM
poorbs
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's a good way to mount the tuned pipe on a Focus?

I have a Focus and want to mount a Bully 1.20 with a Bolly pipe. The pipe is a bit long, but I can shorten it - I think someone said that you can run a shorter or smaller pipe (maybe even a .60 size) with these engines - you just don't get the extra rpms.

What is the best way to mount the pipe in the pipe tunnel? Mine lays in the tunnel OK, but there's no room for any kind of mount to wrap around it, and it looks like the tunnel liner is going to have to be modified.

Please help
Old 10-10-2002, 05:53 AM
bla bla

I'm running an OS 1.40 with a standard lenth Hatori header and pipe(not small)...fits OK. Build a plywood plate across the body just infront of the "servo former" and used a BD pipe bracket. Standard setup, works well... you souldn't be havin' any problems.
Old 10-10-2002, 03:20 PM
LeeDavis

I use two of the Dave Brown pipe mounts (the simple nylon ones) mounted to the tunnel floor. Weigh next to nothing...cheap. Reinforce around the holes you drill in the tunnel with a bit of light ply.
Old 10-10-2002, 05:03 PM
poorbs
My Feedback: (3)

Default Shorter pipe?

Thanks for replies. What about running a shorter pipe? The Bolly is too long and I'll have to modify the aft end of the pipe tunnel to run it the length Lynn calls for. Some engines run real finicky if the pipe isn't just right - what about this one? Also, what about maybe running a .60 size pipe?

Thanks
Old 10-11-2002, 12:43 AM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I have a Bully 1.20 with over 1,000 flights on it. I never ran it on a .60 size pipe (though I still have a couple of Hatori 650s), but I did run it on the Bolly 'muffler' which is about the size of a .60 pipe. The engine ran fine; so I'd give it a try if you want. I ran my 1.20 open exhaust a few times ( just for the helluva it) and it ran fine - idle to full throttle and no change in the needle setting. The engine seemed oblivious to the pipe versus the muffler (no carb changeswhen I switched). I'm running an OS 1.40 at the moment and I do like the OS pipe - larger diameter, but shorter length than the BOlly.
Let us know how your Focus flies on the 1.20.
-Will B.