Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Showtime

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Showtime

Old 02-26-2006, 09:24 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Showtime

One wonders how long it will be before HIS firewall/cowl departs???
Old 02-26-2006, 12:19 PM
MalaysianFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to share, I have the MVVS/EVO 26cc gasser up front, while running in the engine the vibration was enough to shake my landing gear bolts loose, as well as one servo arm. Nothing that a little locktite wont sort out. But the firewally looks fine so far, after two hours of running on the ground. I know of two local flyers who have the same engine bolted on the nose of a funtana 90, an no problems with the firewall so far.

Of course, all the screws do suffer from the vibration
Old 02-26-2006, 08:27 PM
oliflyer
My Feedback: (4)

Thanks Drumbum,

I checked the incidence during the building process and it was OK but I may have missed something; so I will do it again and let you know.

I hope the firewall will hold! I agree the OS 1.60 is too big, but I had it waiting for a new home and I read threads where guys did it and liked it. The bird does not lack power for sure! Unfortunately I haven't been able to enjoy it yet due to the problem I am trying to fix.

Thanks,

Chris.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:00 PM
Big Barry

Some of the showtimes have twisted fuses and wings. Look at the plane from the front and look at the left side, see if it is warped or twisted also my verticle stab is bent to the side. My ST fly like crap too I used spoilerons and it needs some weight on the left wing. Good luck, a few of the ST have this problem most dont, if you are unfortunate to have one that is twisted up its hard to tell when you inspect it out of the box but the proof is in the flying. One flys as advertised one does not. My advice is to find a circle flyer and sell it then put that 1.60 in the Extra 260 or better yet move up to a 30-33%.
Old 03-01-2006, 12:31 AM
rcfury
My Feedback: (5)

I can tell you i had one lemon of a plane when i recieved mine. When i first started building it i noticed both of my wings had a cracked sheeting on the leading edge. Not knowing the extent of the damage, just sent it back to horizon hobby. After recieving my new wings went ahead and starting building the fuse. Ended up the landing gear blindnuts were mis alligned so the LG couldn't be bolted on. After knocking out the blindnuts and filling the holes, re-drilled and mouted the landing gear. Also during contruction of the tail section, my horz. stab incedence was off almost 2 degrees because of a mis drilled hole.
Now my ST is almost done, just the tedious job of progamming and setting up linkages is left. I can tell you im affraid of putting this plane up. With all this bad luck i hate to see what happends when its in the air.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:46 AM
Ron Kinsey

Almost makes you want to swear off of ARF's, doesn't it?
Their great if you wish to save a buck, but....

Build it Right...Build it Yourself !
Old 03-01-2006, 08:22 AM
LSP972

ORIGINAL: Big Barry

... a few of the ST have this problem most dont, if you are unfortunate to have one that is twisted up its hard to tell when you inspect it out of the box but the proof is in the flying.
There it is. Mine looked great, through the old Mark 1 eyeball. My first clue that all was not well was when the airplane rolled sharply on take-off and I almost planted it. It took a ton of aileron trim to acheive level flight.

I went home and did what I should have done BEFORE flying it; put an incidence meter on it. The wings were two degrees out on one side, due to an improperly placed (drilled? looks laser cut to me) hole for the locator pin. While somewhat of a PITA, the fix wasn't difficult.

But there have been too many complaints regarding this specific problem for Horizon to ignore. I hope they're paying attention. The ShowTime is a great-flying model; and in all fairness, once trimmed it flew okay for "'circle flying" (love that term, Barry). But when I tried a few IMAC manuevers, it did all sorts of bizarre corkscrewing, etc. Now that the incidences are right, it is a real keeper.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:03 PM
drumbum
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Ron Kinsey

Almost makes you want to swear off of ARF's, doesn't it?
Their great if you wish to save a buck, but....

Build it Right...Build it Yourself !
sounds great but try to find a 3d plane thats in a kit and not a profile.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:09 PM
rcfury
My Feedback: (5)

sounds great but try to find a 3d plane thats in a kit and not a profile.
Amen my brother!!!

If i can change the subject a little and add a quick little question about geometry / setup etc. So what about ATV's or endpoints. Should you max out your end point and adjust the arms mechanically to achieve your recommended throws? With 1 inch arms, to stay within 1:1 ratio, he surface must be at one inch? So on the showtime where they tell you to thread the control horn to this specific height, that makes the 1:1 way out of whack.
The instructions also call for some 50 deg down elevator throws, and i can barely get 40 deg with 1 inch arms with the control horn at their recommended height.
So what arms / throws are you guys using?
Old 03-01-2006, 09:15 PM
AirWizard
My Feedback: (3)

I use 1.25 inch SWB servo arms.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:32 PM
drumbum

i used the black single ended long arms that came with my 5645s I could achieve more than 50 degrees but set it at recomended
Old 03-01-2006, 10:55 PM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

Anyone with an RTF weight (wet) for this plane needs to be under 8.5 lbs [&:] (No wheel pants, carbon fiber tube, possibly no spinner or cowling either would be really good..)
Saito 125 w/ Cline might be the way to go?
Old 03-01-2006, 11:10 PM
AirWizard
My Feedback: (3)

Mine is stock without wheel pants and running a YS 110. This plane rocks!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-01-2006, 11:10 PM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

discowings...
Mine weighed 8lbs 12ozs ready to fly less fuel. With SFGs add two ozs. I'm using YS110.

I don't think 8.5 with fuel is obtainable.

Thanks
Barry
Old 03-02-2006, 12:20 AM
oliflyer

Thanks for your feedback.
I have finally been able to go back to spend sometime on the ST, unfortunately I couldn't find anything major. I found that the trailing edge of the right aileron had a sort of bump that may have induced some sort of twist, I worked on it with the heat gun, it is better now but still not perfect and I do not think I will be able to completely straighten without removing the covering. This is something I noticed when I was building but completely forgot about. I re-checked the incidence and thee right wing tip is now 0.5 degre lower than the left one and there is 0.25 to 0.5 difference between the stab and the wings, so if I remove some error margin there is not much left. I hope I will be able to fly it soon and see what happens...

Appart from this problem I cannot complain, this was the best ARF I had ever built, good hardware; OK my pevious one was an Edge 540 - 120 from Wildhare... It was easy to see the difference.

Thanks,
Chris.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:01 AM
LSP972

I didn't see anything major wrong with mine either; until I put an incidence meter on it. You might want to try that, just to be sure.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:05 AM
LSP972

ORIGINAL: DiscoWings

Anyone with an RTF weight (wet) for this plane needs to be under 8.5 lbs
Why? Mine weighs 9.5 pounds with an OS 1.08 and flies great.

One wonders how much yours weighed with the OS 1.60; before, of course, the firewall departed the airframe???
Old 03-02-2006, 08:18 AM
R/C Foolish
My Feedback: (6)

I really haven't been paying that much attention, but all of the guy's that are having trouble are their planes excessively overpowered. I have a YS 110 in mine and it flies great. I had problems with flutter on my 1st one but that was because I didn't use metal gear servos. Now I know better.

Just a thought.

R/C Foolish
Old 03-02-2006, 11:53 PM
oliflyer

Steve,

How do you think that I mesured the 0.5 degree difference?
I use the Great Plane incidence meter.

Chris.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:59 PM
oliflyer

Steve,

Sorry, I forgot to answer your question about the weight. I am far from 8.5lb, mine is 9.8lb with a Bisson Pitts style muffler, 5925 servos, and had to add roughly 1oz to the tail even with the rudder servo in the tail.

Chris.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:27 AM
LSP972

ORIGINAL: oliflyer

Steve,

How do you think that I mesured the 0.5 degree difference?
I use the Great Plane incidence meter.

Chris.

Duh. Sorry; I apparently skipped right over that.

Guess I was too amazed at the statement about 8.5 pounds...
Old 03-08-2006, 09:42 PM
BeechTech

I finally check the incidence on the ST. The wings are off about .5* as is the stabilizers at .5*. It has always snapped to the right on a harn pull up and rocks bad in a harrier. Is .5* enough to worry about? What to use as 0 to level to see which wing needs to be moved? Was using the fuselage with the hatch removed as 0. Should the wing and stabilizer cords be 0 at this position?
Old 03-08-2006, 10:06 PM
drumbum

use the firewall as zero. put a level on the front of it
Old 03-09-2006, 08:32 AM
LSP972

ORIGINAL: BeechTech

Was using the fuselage with the hatch removed as 0. Should the wing and stabilizer cords be 0 at this position?
According to Mike McConville, the fuse sides (all four) are slightly tapered toward the tail. IOW, the top edge is NOT quite parallel with the thrust line. I don't recall how he said to do it (this CRS syndrome is getting worse for me[&o]), and unfortunately do not have the time right now to look it up; but it is posted, either in this thread or one of the threads in his forum. I used that method to establish the zero point, and adjusted my "off" wing accordingly.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:51 PM
drumbum

take a level, put it on the front of the fuse, keep sticking stuff under the tail until the firewall is level. then zero your incedence meter on something level too, then measure.. or you can just do it the way you have it by Zeroing the incedence meter on something level and then measuring the flat area on the plane like you did with the meter and just do the math for the difference on your wings and stab.. but the firewall method works great..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.