Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Showtime

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Showtime

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 12:02 AM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Showtime

ORIGINAL: Barry Cazier

discowings...
Mine weighed 8lbs 12ozs ready to fly less fuel. With SFGs add two ozs. I'm using YS110.

I don't think 8.5 with fuel is obtainable.

Thanks
Barry
Barry, I think if you go with a 400 cc tank, no cowling or spinner, or wheel pants, no sfgs, carbon fiber wing & tail tube, carbon fiber push rods, you could shave up almost 1 whole pound and be 8 lbs wet!
Old 03-10-2006, 07:55 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: DiscoWings
[Barry, I think if you go with a 400 cc tank, no cowling or spinner, or wheel pants, no sfgs, carbon fiber wing & tail tube, carbon fiber push rods, you could shave up almost 1 whole pound and be 8 lbs wet!
Perhaps. Of course, your plane would look rather retarded, but what's that compared to the never-ending quest for light weight?

I'm still waiting to hear your reasoning why anything over 8.5 pounds is "bad" for this airplane...
Old 03-10-2006, 08:40 AM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

I don't like the snappy tip stall it has, esp in high alpha or when entering high alpha. The snap is quick, you can recover form it easily but I still dont' like it...

Compared to the Funtana 90 this has about 150 sq inch less wing area... so the lighter it would be the better.

I guess we can keep the cowling and maybe a nylon spinner, but cf wing & stab tube would be a must for people trying to save weight. Ohh and no wheel pants!
Old 03-10-2006, 01:05 PM
LSP972

Well, I dunno about high alpha; whatever that is.

But mine will mush along forever, until it finally just quits flying. And then the nose drops. No tip stall, no dumping a wing, etc.

Perhaps a rearward CG will make the airplane snap at low speed. My CG is slightly behind the recommended location. But my point is, one could use this airplane, on low rates, to train a newbie. It is a very honest airframe with no bad habits that I have found; so far, anyway.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:01 PM
Ron Kinsey

Yeah...What Steve said.
Mine is at recommended CG and has zero stall tendancies.
(not to say you other guys are wrong or anything)
I believe Kyles? video will back us up...
What he puts that plane through is nothing less than phenomenal.

Thank God... Spring Has Finally Sprung!!!
Old 03-10-2006, 07:35 PM
airstik2003

amen

my showtime is completly done but i'm not going to fly it for 2 weeks
it has been 6 weeks sence i flown my UCD so i'm a little rusty

Old 03-28-2006, 10:48 PM
rcfury
My Feedback: (5)

Ok.. im going to wake up the thread again with another incidence question.
When i was setting up my elevator linkages i noticed looking from the back of the plane the elevators were not lined up at center. Remembering that the showtime was pretty popular with incidence problems i begin to check everything.
I leveled the plane via the firewall as the above post mentioned and since i was at it thought id try out my new angle pro from hangar 9. Thinking im using this thing correctly i came with these numbers.

L-wing --- -2*
R-wing --- -1.5*
L-Elevator half --- -3.3*
R Elevator half --- -2.5*

I think there is a problem here. With the posts ive read the incidence was supposed to 0 - 0 - 0. My numbers differ alot. I do know that i will be adjusting my elevator halfs so they are equal. What do you guys think???
Old 03-28-2006, 11:06 PM
drumbum
My Feedback: (1)

By not being there i dont know but i would say somehow you were -2 DEG off as a reference (just a hunch). if you take the -2 away from all your measurements your left wing is dead on, right wing is +.5 , left elev -1.3 , right -5. i would not worry about .5s.. and the other problem is when a movable surface like an aileron and an elevator is involved it may bring your #s off a little.. make sure there is no warpage .. also check incedence all the way down wing. if it changes the wing OR the aileron may be warped.. I would look at the L elevator closely.. I like checking incedence before i put the movable surfaces on. but in some cases (like yours) that is not going to happen.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:24 PM
rcfury

Thanks for the quick responce... Ill take a few pictures of what i was doing maybe that will help a little.. After seeing the numbers I thought maybe the level wasn't zeroed so placed it on my pool table(which is always level) to double check.
My motor is still on the breakin stand so I couldn't doulbe check it by the thrust line.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:33 PM
drumbum

I ended up finding both of my ailerons were warped on mine that way. by measuring and remeasuring. when i fixed them my plane trimmed and flew 100% different.. I knew there was a major problem somewhere because I could visibly see the amout of aileron i had trimmed..
I had to clamp the aileron to the FIXED part of the trailing edge that is part of the wing and look down thw wing as if looking down a pool cue to find it. but the meter told me first .

Old 03-29-2006, 01:37 AM
Magna

I just maidened my Showtime with OS91FX on 15x6. More than enough power although I set it up for more pattern than 3D.

I think my main wing incidence is off. Even with all moving surface level, when it take off, the plane wanted to roll to the right. Countered with left trim. The aileron now travelled about 4mm on both wing to the left just to fly level. Darn!

My elevator is level as of now. I may need to get some wing incidence adjustment mount to make adjustment easy.

Anyhow did some mod on the main wing or tail for incidence correction?
Old 03-29-2006, 07:35 AM
drumbum

ORIGINAL: Magna

I just maidened my Showtime with OS91FX on 15x6. More than enough power although I set it up for more pattern than 3D.

I think my main wing incidence is off. Even with all moving surface level, when it take off, the plane wanted to roll to the right. Countered with left trim. The aileron now travelled about 4mm on both wing to the left just to fly level. Darn!

My elevator is level as of now. I may need to get some wing incidence adjustment mount to make adjustment easy.

Anyhow did some mod on the main wing or tail for incidence correction?
that is EXACTLY the way mine was and the ailerons were warped.. was a simple fix with an iron and heat gun
Old 03-29-2006, 07:37 AM
LSP972

Magna, I discovered my incidence problem the same way you did; the airplane almost rolled into the ground on the maiden take-off.

Assuming that you have an incidence problem (NOT a warped wing or control surface), the fix is easy: Fabricate a wooden disk that will fit snugly over the rear wing pin. Zero the wing or wings out by slightly enlarging the hole in the fuselage where the pin fits until you can move the wing (rotating it it on the wing tube axis) where it is at zero incidence.

Then, you carefully glue your wood disk in place over the wing pin, up against the exposed wood inside the fuselage.

This is a lot more complicated to write out than actually do. It took me less than an hour; and like drumbum, I noticed a drastic improvement in the way the plane flew.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:04 PM
rcfury

ORIGINAL: drumbum

By not being there i dont know but i would say somehow you were -2 DEG off as a reference (just a hunch). if you take the -2 away from all your measurements your left wing is dead on, right wing is +.5 , left elev -1.3 , right -5. i would not worry about .5s.. and the other problem is when a movable surface like an aileron and an elevator is involved it may bring your #s off a little.. make sure there is no warpage .. also check incedence all the way down wing. if it changes the wing OR the aileron may be warped.. I would look at the L elevator closely.. I like checking incedence before i put the movable surfaces on. but in some cases (like yours) that is not going to happen.
Well ok I took some pictures of the plane.. I got something quirky here. the numbers i posted earlier is not the same as today and nothing could be differant. Same level, same pool table, same stand proping up the plane. I also tried two differant ways of leveling the plane. From another forum someone mentioned to zero out the wing and check everything from there.
Im beginning to not trust digital stuff. Hows the robart incidence meter, or the GP laser meter?

**the forth picture shows the reading after leveling the plane with the wing at 0*
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19045.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	435569   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29946.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	435570   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb76736.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	435571   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sm28214.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	435572   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rd42551.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	435573  
Old 03-29-2006, 10:35 PM
Ron Kinsey

Hey rcfury...

FYI..IMO..the last pic. looks as if the elev. hinge
slots were not centered. Mine were not perfect either.
FLY IT !!!
Old 03-29-2006, 11:37 PM
AirWizard
My Feedback: (3)

Fly it......You will like it!
Old 03-30-2006, 08:29 AM
LSP972

Are you doing those checks with the radio on and the surfaces at neutral? You need to "lock" the surfaces in place while putting the meter on them. Not trying to insult you; sometimes we miss the obvious.

I use an old Robart. The H9 looks good, but I couldn't see springing for one after dropping twenty bucks on that total POS "laser meter" The Empire offers. What junk... I dusted off the old Robart and had at it.

I suppose the digital read-out is a bit more precise than the gauge on the Robart. But that gauge is good enough for determining repeatability/sameness, and that's what I was after.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:44 AM
picard1
My Feedback: (2)

Servo question.
I've been using futaba digitals for years and have had good luck with them. But I wanted to try some of the other brands mainly because the futaba's tend to be very expensive. So I tried hitec 5645 and they are to slow. Thought I might try JR 8411 but do they have the same plug as futaba and hitec?

Mike
Old 03-30-2006, 05:00 PM
airstik2003

picard

are you a startrek fan?
i have hitec 5955s in mine
333 oz torque
1.5 sec or somthing like that
$115 bucks a pop[:@]

Old 04-02-2006, 11:51 PM
BeechTech

I finally got to fly the ST after adjusting the wings. Both my wings were off, right was 1, left was .5 from level. 1 deg was about 1/8th movement up on the trailing edge. Wing panels were also warp and elevators inboard trailing edge were warped. It flys like it should, ailerons are even and that hard right snap on a medium pull was gone. This could be as fun to fly as my ucan.
Old 04-03-2006, 01:33 AM
NeoGenesis
My Feedback: (27)

ORIGINAL: picard1

Servo question.
I've been using futaba digitals for years and have had good luck with them. But I wanted to try some of the other brands mainly because the futaba's tend to be very expensive. So I tried hitec 5645 and they are to slow. Thought I might try JR 8411 but do they have the same plug as futaba and hitec?

Mike
Yes they have the same ends. The color of the wire may be differnet, but the location of the positive, negative, and signal wires are the same. I've got JR servo's in my H9 Sukhoi with a FUtaba PCM Reciever.

Neo
Old 04-13-2006, 03:44 PM
HoverLoW

My version!
O.S. 160 FX
Jtec Muffler
Perry Pumps

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12657.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	444784   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96171.jpg
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	444785   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu52746.jpg
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	444786  
Old 04-13-2006, 09:36 PM
Super D

Nice who's laminated prop is that? It's purdy.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:40 PM
airstik2003

well after waiting 4 months i will fly it on satruday
i've been waiting for a warm day

thanks
Old 04-14-2006, 03:02 PM
sctcrash

I was looking at the new OS 120 AX and was wondeing if it would be a good match for the Showtime. It has the new muffler mounting options so you can mount it in different ways, i wonder if it would be best to get it without the muffler and still use a Pitts muffler.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.