Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Great planes ultimate 160

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Great planes ultimate 160

Old 07-18-2007, 10:47 AM
arobatx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great planes ultimate 160

You are going to love the plane...enjoy and keep us posted! I am one of the crazies that put a lightened G62 in mine...I have enough power
Old 07-18-2007, 04:33 PM
vahpr
My Feedback: (3)

Hey, sent you an email, not sure if you got it.

I like your dual aileron mod and plan to use it (already started cutting the ailerons for the mod - too bad I already hinged 2 but no big deal). What dia CF rod accepts 4-40 studs?

Also, are they still holding up well? I don't know if you did this, but I plan to pass the allthread partway through the aileron LE to assist in anchoring it. Anyway, thanks to you and everyone else for the excellent mod ideas,

Jerry

ORIGINAL: bodywerks

Anyway, I put flights number 2 and 3 on mine yesterday morning(flight #1 was back in January!) and started "feeling it out". As far as biplanes go, I think it is as good as it gets, but compared to all my mono's, it tucks and rolls hard with rudder input, as do most Ultimates. Plain ol' knife edge is just awesome, as it doesn't require much rudder at all, but high-alpha KE and rolling maneuvers look real sloppy, so I am going to fiddle with mixing once I feel I have my CG/trim/thrustline/differential the way I like it. And as far as that goes, it seems pretty darn close right out of the box, although it may need a bit of down thrust - not sure yet on that. I did do some "test" mixing and 9% correction in the roll and pitch wasn't enough, even on a multipoint mix where I increased the percentages in the lower travel ranges.
I found it very stable in high-alpha, and it torquerolls quite effortlessly. Snaps are taking some getting used to, and it snaps better to the left than the right. My flights weren't very impressive, but I will blame that on being up for 16 hours before going to the field[&:]

My aileron mod is holding up very well and I have all the aileron authority I need. One thing I did notice was that one of my CF interlink rods needed to be longer than the other in order to equal the trim of all the ailerons - huh?? Further inspection revealed that ALL of the ailerons are bowed slightly - no biggy, but it was kind of weird...
Old 07-19-2007, 11:41 AM
iflywhenican
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: leelee

I am building the ulti with a dl-50, and I have ran into a few problems, maybe you all can help. the build is going god but there is a couple of places that has stumped me. i will list them below and any answers will help, pictures if possible.

1. I am going to use the slimline excel fueler but there is no solid place to mount it, and I do not want to put it near the styrofoam in the top of the plane, where do i mount it?

2. I am using three switches, 1 for ign. and 2 for rx batt. Running the SF batt share for redundant system. Again no solid place to mount, where do I mount them?

3. The top wing servo wires, do you mount the modified charge jacks and how with no solid place to use the screws, or just use rubber gromets and tie them to the struts.

Thank's for all of the info from this thread so far.
!. I used a "T" and a fuel dot and mounted it to the cowl backed with a 2"x2" peice of 1/8" ply. Very easy to thread the fuel line into the hole if you have to remove the cowl.
2. I fabricated a peice of 1/8" ply into a "ladder" style fashion to accept 3 MPI switches. One for the ignition and the others for RX Batts and glued it into place on the inside-left of the fuselage. You can then follow the outline of the holes and cut away your covering after you get it glued in place.
3. I used the modified "Ernst" charge jacks and locked them into place with "Gorilla Glue." Made for a great setup there. Make sure that when you insert your top wing servo connectors into the charge jacks that you get them all the way in.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:11 PM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: leelee

I am building the ulti with a dl-50, and I have ran into a few problems, maybe you all can help.

2. I am using three switches, 1 for ign. and 2 for rx batt. Running the SF batt share for redundant system. Again no solid place to mount, where do I mount them?

3. The top wing servo wires, do you mount the modified charge jacks and how with no solid place to use the screws, or just use rubber gromets and tie them to the struts.
#2 - I only used 2 switches, one of which is shown in this photo below. Other one (not shown) is on other side of vent hose. I just used some light ply to mount switches in, then used a couple servo screws to mount to belly near L-G. Painted to match and ta-da!

#3 - I just ran mine up along side the center cabane (rear), then secured with reinforced packing tape. Painted white to finish them off.
Barely visable in 2nd photo. Enlarge to see them better.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52995.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	727709   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57162.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	727710  
Old 07-22-2007, 08:55 AM
iflywhenican

I have mentioned in these posts' before that I like to make it a "BIPEDAY" sometimes. I take my Ultimate and my Skybolt to the field and wring them both out. Well yesterday, I was warming up with the Skybolt and the wind was at about 12 mph and I put her into a nice upright flat-spin...guess what...first time I have ever been unable to get it out of it and she spun right into the ground.."sniff-sniff" I was so distrought I didn't even fly the Ultimate...[] but I like them both so much that I had another Skybolt on order before the afternoon was over.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:47 PM
dmcmike
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: iflywhenican

I have mentioned in these posts' before that I like to make it a "BIPEDAY" sometimes. I take my Ultimate and my Skybolt to the field and wring them both out. Well yesterday, I was warming up with the Skybolt and the wind was at about 12 mph and I put her into a nice upright flat-spin...guess what...first time I have ever been unable to get it out of it and she spun right into the ground.."sniff-sniff" I was so distrought I didn't even fly the Ultimate...[] but I like them both so much that I had another Skybolt on order before the afternoon was over.
Sorry to hear about your bad day! That sux every time the 'expiration' date comes on an airplane. glad to you're getting back on the Skybolt horse tho!
Bipe Day, eh....first off, with me, every day is 'bipe' day...between an Aeromaster, a Giant Aeromaster w/g62, a Hog Bipe with Saito 100, and now an Ultimate with a Brison 3.2, I am close to being a happy man. I say 'close' because I don't yet have that H9 Ulti sitting in the shop. Someday....

Old 07-22-2007, 07:31 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say 'close' because I don't yet have that H9 Ulti sitting in the shop. Someday....
I really hate to do this BUT you know darn well I'm gonna... I just ordered mine yesterday. Horizon has them for 1699.99 versus the usual 1899.99. Hey 200 bucks is 200 bucks. It will buy something for the plane.

Next stop is Bad Brad Graphics for his graphics kit for this plane

Ben,

Sorry about the loss, hope all of the hardware survived for the new one. I had a Cap do that to me until I remembered to kick the rudder the other way and drop the power and re-add it to get a blast of airflow over the rudder. Landed shaking big time, followed by a chain smoking session [sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 07-22-2007, 11:39 PM
dmcmike

ORIGINAL: bubbagates

I say 'close' because I don't yet have that H9 Ulti sitting in the shop. Someday....
I really hate to do this BUT you know darn well I'm gonna... I just ordered mine yesterday. Horizon has them for 1699.99 versus the usual 1899.99. Hey 200 bucks is 200 bucks. It will buy something for the plane.

Next stop is Bad Brad Graphics for his graphics kit for this plane

Ben,

Sorry about the loss, hope all of the hardware survived for the new one. I had a Cap do that to me until I remembered to kick the rudder the other way and drop the power and re-add it to get a blast of airflow over the rudder. Landed shaking big time, followed by a chain smoking session [sm=bananahead.gif]
Uh, and what was it we were chain smoking?.... [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

Congrats Bubba! Whatcha gonna use for a motor in it? you be sure and take LOTS of pics while you're putting that thing together. If I can't have one, I want to see one get built! Maybe another Build Thread?!! Hint hint.

Good luck with her!
Old 07-23-2007, 06:39 AM
bubbagates

Uh, and what was it we were chain smoking?....
I'm not tellin' [&:]

I sure can do a thread. The plan for it is

DA150
Greve's pipes or MTW cans (not sure at this point but it is getting one or the other)
All 5955's (Hate replacing gearsets on JR servos [:'(])
All Fromeco batts (probably twin 4800's for the receiver and one 4800 for the engine)
Emcotec power box with failsafe switches
Pete's CF Spinner
Mejlik 3 blade prop (unsure of the size yet)
Bad Brad's graphic package

So as you can see I have some research to do....
Old 07-23-2007, 07:02 AM
dmcmike

Bubba,

Looks like you've already done most of the research that's needed. That ought to make it a nice Cadillac of a plane,especially with the grieves pipes. I'll be looking for the build thread, no doubt about it! Does the H9 already have the fuse built for the pipes? I know several of the more 'bleeding edge' planes do, didn't know about the big Ulti.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:23 AM
dale691

Hi guys, Bit of a stuff up on my ultimate, I bought it second hand from a guy and he had joined the top wings and that's all, I have now found out as I have been building that there is a bit of dihederal on the top wing ie the interplane struts are too short. Should I invest in a new top wing or pack the interplane struts. By my guess the incidence looks to be ok. What will the result be you think?
Old 07-23-2007, 07:37 AM
dmcmike

If It were mine, i'd order the new wings, joiners and metal rib. Several have reinforced the joiner just to be safe, as there have been a couple of failures. I fiberglass taped the center section of the lower wing and beefed up the upper joiner with some extra ply, just to be safe. I doubt that it will ever fly right with that dihedral in there....
Old 07-23-2007, 07:42 AM
bubbagates

I'd have to agree with mcmike. The last generation of this plane did have some joiner failures and I do not think there is any dihedral in the top wing.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:48 AM
bubbagates

mcmike,

to the best of my knowledge there is no tunnel at all. Mike McConville had one in the marketplace last year (RTF with JR10x) that had this done and some pics of the inside and it looked as though it was not too tough to do. The ad still exists, but the pics are no longer there. I do remember how they were done though.

He used KS pipes but the measurements are fairly close between the two

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=229335
Old 07-23-2007, 07:52 AM
dmcmike

That's what I'm most curious about, what you've got to go through to get them in. We've got some serious noise restrictions at our field, due to neighbors close by. A set of pipes would sure help! I'm reasonably competent when it comes to modifying stuff like that, but always like to see what others have done first. No point in reinventing the wheel everytime.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:00 AM
iflywhenican

ORIGINAL: mcmike

If It were mine, i'd order the new wings, joiners and metal rib. Several have reinforced the joiner just to be safe, as there have been a couple of failures. I fiberglass taped the center section of the lower wing and beefed up the upper joiner with some extra ply, just to be safe. I doubt that it will ever fly right with that dihedral in there....
DITTO....DITTO!!!

I don't feel so bad now as to thinking that it was my fault that the Skybolt wouldn't (couldn't) get out of the flat spin. I did everything under the sun to get it out of it with several guys watching me try. SOOO, I went on a fault finding hunt yesterday morning and found a stripped gear on a ail servo!!! just enough to block it. One tooth was jammed in the gearset also!! The Skybolt uses one servo (linked) per top and bottom wing side. I was using a Futaba 9001 servo on the ail's and I guess that it just gave up after about 100 flat spins inverted, upright and whatever else I could think of to throw at it. So you guys that are using one servo and linking to the top ail on your Ultimates, be sure to use a strong enough servo to handle that job!!![>:]

CONGRATS Bubba!!! Glad to see you finally make the move to the "BIG OLE ULTIMATE"!!! If you saw the "Spektrum Ultimate" on the front page of the July issue of Model Aviation, then you saw my "dream plane." I hug the cover of that magazine every day!!...
Old 07-23-2007, 09:56 AM
bubbagates

hug the cover of that magazine every day!!...
Yea, I saw that one as well and that reminded me how bad I wanted one and I really hope that is all you do to that cover

Certainly if the servo stripped in the spin than that could easily cause it to stay in the spin, especially if you were on 3D throws which you probably were, and it locks close to full throw. I'd think no amount of whatever you do would help at that point.

Old 07-23-2007, 10:04 AM
dmcmike

Speaking of flat spins, I haven't tried it with my Ulti yet. Anything I need to know prior to getting above 500' before trying it for the first time? How's it come out of one? I've had planes that needed opposite rudder and full throttle to quit, others that just needed standard spin/snap inputs, then a pull out. Just curious....
thanks!

oh, and I've got drool all over that cover too....
Old 07-23-2007, 10:52 AM
iflywhenican

You sure it's drool Mike?? [X(]
I havn't had any problem getting my Ulti to come outta the flat spins. I just nutralize the sticks and it stops.
Looking at HEALTHIER servos to go into the new Skybolt. [sm=49_49.gif]
Old 07-23-2007, 12:38 PM
bubbagates

Mike's not gonna own up to what is REALLY on the cover

As far as flat spins just enter them and play with the ailerons and power and after some practice you can get it pretty flat. I've had mine climbing ever so slowly in an inverted one, the problem is I cannot recreate it at will. I seem to get lucky now and then
Old 07-29-2007, 08:49 AM
iflywhenican

Looks like flat spins are causing all sorts of havoc, for me and worst of all at Osh Kosh as a Pitts pilot lost his life as he spun out of control to the ground. We need to give thought to the P-51 pilot and to the pilot that was en-route to Osh Kosh also. Terrible tragedies to say the least.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:43 AM
fishdeth
My Feedback: (2)

Here is a little vid from Saturdays outing.

Enjoy,

Jim

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSVa1vwZ-BI
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20345.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	732270  
Old 07-30-2007, 07:42 AM
bubbagates

Nice flying Fish!!!!
Old 07-30-2007, 07:47 AM
fishdeth
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks Bubba,
As you can see, I'm more of a sport flyer than a 3-D animal.... but I have my moments !

Jim
Old 07-30-2007, 03:47 PM
esbenbach

Hello all

Im not good at English, but i try. The Ultimate looks nice, but i have one question about the engergi. Will a Saito 220 fit in the plane?

Esben

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.