Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Great planes ultimate 160

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Great planes ultimate 160

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 09:47 PM
Slyder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great planes ultimate 160

Ok, couple of ??
Getting real close to ordering mine. Will be using a brison 3.2. Will there be a clearance problem with a 22" prop and will I need an adaptor for the spinner? If so any suggestions for witch one?
Thanks
Old 01-27-2006, 09:52 PM
iflywhenican
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Slyder

Ok, couple of ??
Getting real close to ordering mine. Will be using a brison 3.2. Will there be a clearance problem with a 22" prop and will I need an adaptor for the spinner? If so any suggestions for witch one?
Thanks
The answer to both ?'s is no.
Old 01-27-2006, 09:54 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, couple of ??
Thanks
First off the Brison 3.2 will be excellent on this plane (It's on mine)

A 22 inch prop will be fine for clearance and I use a MSC 22X8 and see 7000 rpm. I beleive the prop shaft is 3/8X24. The spinner is 4"

The plane does come with a spinner and adapter and you will need to cut the spinner to fit the prop
Old 01-27-2006, 10:01 PM
Slyder

Thanks guys,

Looks like I might finally have Christmas tommarow.
Old 01-27-2006, 11:17 PM
thevirginian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And it looks like I'm gonna maiden mine tomorrow[sm=sunsmiley.gif]. Just got my Hitecs back from upgrading the software. Everything is back installed and working like a charm. Weather supposed to be nice and warm, hope no wind, it could be the day, I've been waiting for. I'll report as soon as I have something to bragg about.
Old 01-27-2006, 11:38 PM
bubbagates

We'll hear from you after dark, you won't want to stop flying. Be sure to take a field charger
Old 01-28-2006, 03:29 AM
skymaster68
My Feedback: (4)

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Got mine, any one using MVVS 45MG? I have to decide betwen that and DA 50. Any sugestions? I have a DA on a CA 27% Extra and its been a really friendly engine but wolud like to try maibe the MVVS.
Rgds
Cristian
Old 01-28-2006, 06:51 AM
Slyder

Good deal. Hope you get to. Let us know and take some pics.

Has anyone found the sweat spot for the CG yet?
Old 01-28-2006, 08:10 AM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

The DA puts out more power for the same weight... spins a bigger prop and you already have good experiences with the DA...

It's good to experminet, but when there is reaosn to... i.e. the BME 55 that is coming... 1 lb lighter and could spin a little more than the DA for $50 more... still that's a few months off.

Even if you did go the 45 route... I've heard they are pretty powerful so it should be a good choice for the Ultimate... but if you want all out 3D power... the DA50 is the way to go.

ORIGINAL: skymaster68

Got mine, any one using MVVS 45MG? I have to decide betwen that and DA 50. Any sugestions? I have a DA on a CA 27% Extra and its been a really friendly engine but wolud like to try maibe the MVVS.
Rgds
Cristian
Old 01-28-2006, 08:58 AM
iflywhenican

Bill, We probably won't hear anything back from the virginian untill tomorrow (Sun) as the excitement will still have him overwhelmed from the maiden...
Hope the weather turns out good for you for the maiden..but a little headwind really makes this baby shine on landing, sweet, sweet, sweet.

Flew my Shrike 40 Wed. afternoon...more fun than a barrel of monkey's. It will roll faster than my B&D drill will turn...heh heh
Old 01-28-2006, 09:03 AM
iflywhenican

Guys, go to this website and check out the "Exploding Li-Po" and the "Prop-off" videos. There is a safety story behind these two videos that we NEED to always be aware of.

http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/Video.htm
Old 01-28-2006, 09:14 AM
bubbagates

I'd seen the Loosing the prop one and that's a sure way to destroy a DA150 in short order not to mention the prop going where ever it feels like.

Hadn't seen the Lipoly one though and [X(] I had no idea they could go like that.

I do see Gene added the Da50 template and the updated DA50 manual I sent him...Now if only Da would send him my header []
Old 01-28-2006, 10:41 AM
iflywhenican

Bill, I get really nervous when charging my lipo's and after seeing that video, I am downright scared. [X(] From this point on, all my lipo charging will be done outside. I don't know very much about electricity anyway. All I know is that there is a positive and a negative and I am not positive which is negative.

Even if when the prop came off that DA 150, if that didn't over-rev the engine enough to destroy it, just think what happened when the propshaft hit the asphalt.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:42 AM
Slyder

Hey Bill,

What size are the wheels? I agree the foam tires are real lite but I dont like how they flatten. I will risk a few oz's on some dubro lites.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:56 AM
bubbagates

Hey Bill,

What size are the wheels? I agree the foam tires are real lite but I dont like how they flatten. I will risk a few oz's on some dubro lites.
I went with 1 1/4 inch Dubro for the tail on the stock gear and Sullivan Skylites 3.5 for the mains. I just got a set of Dave Patrick main wheels that are .7 ounces each at 3.5 inch but it took three weeks to get here so I'm going to replace the mains when I get around to it.
Old 01-28-2006, 08:05 PM
drumbum

Well it looks as if im going DA 50 now. I just picked up one. I have the 2 1/2" standoffs. has anyone done one with the DA yet? If so what standoffs?
Old 01-28-2006, 08:43 PM
Maudib

I didn't use the DA but you need 7.25"... the 2.5" will get you 6.25" so you need to make up some 1" spacer blocks (preferably from aircraftply) or order a set of 3.5" from [link=http://www.forgues-research.com]Forgues-Research[/link]

He makes them purdy...

ORIGINAL: drumbum

Well it looks as if im going DA 50 now. I just picked up one. I have the 2 1/2" standoffs. has anyone done one with the DA yet? If so what standoffs?
Old 01-28-2006, 08:47 PM
drumbum

thanks for the link
Old 01-28-2006, 08:50 PM
Maudib

Your welcome... he does great work...

You can order them a custom length like 3 3/32" if you wanted to... then have each side drilled and tapped for a different screw...

I use 1/4-20 for the firewall and 10-32 for the motor eard (that's what's supplied with the stock standoffs).

And pretty reasonable too...

Old 01-28-2006, 08:56 PM
thevirginian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well guys, here is my maiden report: It was a beautiful, springlike day with lots of sunshine and a lite breeze from the south, parallel to the runway. After a nightshift putting the servos back in adjusting the endpoints and centers I checked the CG. It was too far back. I corrected that problem in the morning and went to the field in the afternoon. After setting up the Ulti I did a the usual range check which turned out to be better than perfect. This Fuji motor really amazes me. Once it's primed it fires at every flip regardless if warm or cold. After the pre-flight check I taxiied out to the runway and took off. She really jumps off into the sky. Not a single click of trim was needed and she flew hands off from the get go. I couldn't believe it. So I flew around for a while, motor fairly rich and smokin'. I did not intent to do crazy stuff on my first flight anyway, just get aquaintent with her and feel her out. I must have been in the air for ten minutes or so, when all of a sudden she tried to test me. She started to roll from one side to the other. Oh, sh..@#*! here we go. I was certain I would lose her on her maiden flight. Immediately I cut the throttle and lined her up with the runway. Nosedive and flairout. Brought her in without a scratch. Back in the pit I fired up the motor and then I saw what happend up there in the air. The top ailerons went crazy every time I touched the throttle and the motor revved up. After checking we found the Y-harness to be the culprid. A bad connector or something. The servos are fine, thank God. And so is my Ulti. Could have been a different story, though. From my short first flight there was not much to tell other then that she flies absolutely perfect. Very direct controls, very precise. I love it. Maybe tomorrow is another chance to finish her maiden.
Sorry guys, that I couldn't report anything better, but I know it is only a question of time.
Old 01-28-2006, 09:01 PM
Maudib

Whew!
Old 01-28-2006, 09:12 PM
iflywhenican

["The top ailerons went crazy every time I touched the throttle and the motor revved up. After checking we found the Y-harness to be the culprid. A bad connector or something. The servos are fine, thank God. And so is my Ulti."]

I had the same problem with mine while it was on the bench Virginian, and discoverd that the top wing servo connectors weren't plugged all the way in the Ernst sockets. Just glad I found that on the bench and not in the air.

One of my flying friends almost lost his Ohio Ultimate this afternoon. His is powered by a Moki 2.10. The engine went lean and quit. The plane brushed the top of an oak tree. All the damage was no more than a pancaked landing gear. "WHEW"!!!!!
Old 01-28-2006, 09:27 PM
bubbagates

Virgian,

Good to hear you got it back in one piece and sounds as though you nailed the issue pretty quickly. The Fuji is an amazing little engine. I just loves to run.

So you needed no trim either...that's 3 so far...Mine, Aerobobs and now yours. If I forgot someone else speak up.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:51 AM
iflywhenican

Mine required no trim at all. I get more attached to it evey time I fly it.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:58 AM
Maudib

I needed only a click of rudder and elevator (I put two clicks in the aileron but took it back out as I found it was the wind).

This is fairly normal as it doesn't reflect the build of the aircraft, but rather minute incidences in the surface the eye cannot percieve.

When an airframe need a good deal of trim and you find when landed that the surface is no longer even or matching the mating surface THEN you know you have some problem somewhere.

These Ultimates are really nicely built and are within some close tolerances.

ORIGINAL: iflywhenican

Mine required no trim at all. I get more attached to it evey time I fly it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.